2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Maltby TS2

Popeye64

16 minutes ago, AZstu324 said:

I'll say this, don't sleep on the Max Milled if you haven't tried or considered them. For a few years I had written them off as game improvement chunky infomercial type wedges (clearly I was wrong). I also consider myself fairly versed in wedge play with a good number of tricks in my bag. Ultimately I just saw them as "not for me". 

Well I built a 54° Max for my dad because he REALLY needs help with his wedge game. I got him the 1.05 sole. The day I gave it to him, we played 18. I used his wedge almost the entire round. It started with curiosity and lead to obsession. I couldn't believe how easy it was to use. Distance control was insane and I could really pull off pretty much any shot that I needed. Ultimately though, it was just 100% functional and efficient without the need to get too cute. That day I went home and ordered both the 54° and 58° in the wide sole and sold my TM MG3's. What I really like is the extra face micro milling and that the wedges are actually somewhat compact for what they're meant to be. Just like all Maltby products, you get GI in a pretty tight and good looking package. 

2 days later I pulled my Achilles so womp womp. But I can't wait to get these to the course when I'm all healed up. 

I play the 54° Max Milled in the wider sole version. I needed the lower actual bounce. I prefer low actual bounce because I use my wedges for full shots. Getting 10°+ of shaft lean is not my superpower. The wider sole makes it usable from the sand. I replaced an Edel wedge where I loved the grind for versatile chipping, but I couldn't get past David's more bounce is better philosophy (it also POs me that they won't even publish the number).

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

I play the 54° Max Milled in the wider sole version. I needed the lower actual bounce. I prefer low actual bounce because I use my wedges for full shots. Getting 10°+ of shaft lean is not my superpower. The wider sole makes it usable from the sand. I replaced an Edel wedge where I loved the grind for versatile chipping, but I couldn't get past David's more bounce is better philosophy (it also POs me that they won't even publish the number).

Edel definitely has some unique grind/bounce options. As much of a player's company as they are, I'm surprised they're not disclosing bounce #'s. Is Dave Edel even calling shots anymore? I thought he sold the company and moved into a cave. Lol.  

As for lower actual bounce but higher effective bounce, I think that's what works so well for me here in AZ on tight stiff lies. These are so easy to just get the leading edge right down to the surface of the soil without actually digging in and the wide sole just keeps it floating along like a snow shoe. It's pretty awesome. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, AZstu324 said:

Edel definitely has some unique grind/bounce options. As much of a player's company as they are, I'm surprised they're not disclosing bounce #'s. Is Dave Edel even calling shots anymore? I thought he sold the company and moved into a cave. Lol.  

As for lower actual bounce but higher effective bounce, I think that's what works so well for me here in AZ on tight stiff lies. These are so easy to just get the leading edge right down to the surface of the soil without actually digging in and the wide sole just keeps it floating along like a snow shoe. It's pretty awesome. 

David may be out of the loop now. Not sure. Picked these wedges up a few years ago while Edel was still in Liberty Hill. As a guess, the reason they don't provide the bounce data is because no one would buy their wedges. As soon as folks see 24° of bounce, I suspect after the WTF would be a hard pass.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, sm_watts said:

I haven’t tried the Max Milled wedges, but I didn’t get along with the TSW. I felt like I had to hold the face open on every shot to make good contact. 

Nothing wrong with opening the face a bit on all wedge shots. Adds some extra loft and spin. Jon Rahm slightly opens the face on almost ever wedge shot. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AZstu324 said:

Not disagreeing. You can open it up in certain lies to be played off the toe but still have to have a pretty tight wedge game to execute. I know they're working on a new line for 2025. Would be great to see something of a Max/TSW live child be born. 

It's supposed to be an update of the MG Tour Grind wedges with a bunch of bounce and grind options. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, iamlowsound said:

Nothing wrong with opening the face a bit on all wedge shots. Adds some extra loft and spin. Jon Rahm slightly opens the face on almost ever wedge shot. 

I do the same and have for 20+ years. Of course I don't come close to the results Rahm does🥲

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

47 minutes ago, Thayneil said:

What Precision shafts?

Royal Precision is a company that was dissolved in the Early 200's but is believed to be one of the first companies to start producing steel shafts in the early 1900's. These are the FCM Rifle's which used to be a very high end (tour) option from many of the OEM's. I want to say that they were purchased by True Temper for the tech and machines but got rid of the shaft because it was too complexed to keep producing at high quantities. Just like Maltby, these also have a cult following, although more obscure. IMO they they my unicorn shaft. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AZstu324 said:

Royal Precision is a company that was dissolved in the Early 200's but is believed to be one of the first companies to start producing steel shafts in the early 1900's. These are the FCM Rifle's which used to be a very high end (tour) option from many of the OEM's. I want to say that they were purchased by True Temper for the tech and machines but got rid of the shaft because it was too complexed to keep producing at high quantities. Just like Maltby, these also have a cult following, although more obscure. IMO they they my unicorn shaft. 

All true.  They had a factory out my way in Torrington CT. I always loved Rifle shafts although near the end the quality wasn't there IMO. IIRC the founder of KBS was there along with his father who was credited with the OG Rifles and frequency matching?  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KCEE said:

All true.  They had a factory out my way in Torrington CT. I always loved Rifle shafts although near the end the quality wasn't there IMO. IIRC the founder of KBS was there along with his father who was credited with the OG Rifles and frequency matching?  

Where are you?

I live in Naugatuck.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wantacigar said:

I'll be playing Orange Hills Country Club in Orange CT near Milford on 6/12.  How close is that?  I'm from the other side of the Sound on L.I.  I know nothing about Connecticut.  LOL

I'm a little over and hour from Orange. I worked on LI on for about 4 years and my wife's originally from there.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wantacigar said:

I'll be playing Orange Hills Country Club in Orange CT near Milford on 6/12.  How close is that?  I'm from the other side of the Sound on L.I.  I know nothing about Connecticut.  LOL

8 hours ago, wantacigar said:

I'm about a half hour from Orange.

Edited by JimmyC59
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, AZstu324 said:

Ok well aware of the Rifles.I understand the maths behind them guessing hard to.make them accurately at volume.I use to.purchase odd flexes for a guy.i knew.7.1 7.3 etc 

23 minutes ago, wantacigar said:

Where did you work?  I'm in Levittown for 31 years as of 5/20.  

I spent 2 years in Hauppauge with a company that was eventually acquired by TE Connectivity and shut down. I spent another 2 years in Lake Success with Polar Heart Rate. I traveled regularly then but if I wasn't flying I'd spend at least 3 days/week down on LI. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KCEE said:

I spent 2 years in Hauppauge with a company that was eventually acquired by TE Connectivity and shut down. I spent another 2 years in Lake Success with Polar Heart Rate. I traveled regularly then but if I wasn't flying I'd spend at least 3 days/week down on LI. 

I play Lake Success CC at least twice a year at outings.  I work in Manhasset for my day job.

• Like 1

Whew, as someone who has recently discovered Maltby this thread (really a compendium at this point) has been eye opening. I've been reading for a few days now off and on and I still have 120 pages to go lol. 

I know there is no 1 to 1 comparison, but as someone who has no access to testing Maltby irons, what would be the closets OEM comparisons as far as playability goes? I really like the looks of the TS4, but not sure my game is up to playing a true blade anymore. I played Titleist 695MB in HS and Calloway X forged 2010 model in college and currently have a combo set of Adams cb2 and cb1's. Those 695s were sweet, but punishing, and I don't spend hours on the course every day anymore. Trying to decide if I should go TS4 or TE+. Also open to the TE3, but I'm not a fan of offset so they didn't appeal to me as much, but I'll defer to y'alls judgment on if im ruling them out too soon.

I'm going in for iron fitting sometime in the next 6 or so weeks and just trying to find something I can compare the playability too. Something in the i210 range with less offset would be the ideal iron for me I think. 

6 hours ago, Mordy said:

I really like the looks of the TS4, but not sure my game is up to playing a true blade anymore. 

It’s a no brainer. TS4 all day in my opinion. Especially considering your prior experience with muscle backs. 

I recently built TS4 8-G and have TE+ in 4-7. I’ve been searching for my lost iron game for a few years and I’m hitting purer shots with the TS4 than any CB or GI club I’ve tested. I’m going back for the 6 and 7 and may even get the 5 if the results are similar. 

Have GW build you a test 6 or 7 after your fitting. You’ll likely know in a few swings.

• Like 4