Maltby TS2

Popeye64

1 hour ago, iamlowsound said:

The TSW has a more aggressive grind and I like to open the face a bit and cut basically every shot inside 50 yards. The TSW has a much better grind for opening the face. 

Thanks, I understand. For the same reason, I will build 50 & 56 with Milled wedge and will keep my 60 Vokey for a while.

6 hours ago, gensay said:

Thanks, I understand. For the same reason, I will build 50 & 56 with Milled wedge and will keep my 60 Vokey for a while.

Last year I bought TSW DRM 56 and 50 wedges with Score LT R flex.  I like the wedges, however, I tend to chunk them a bit more.  I'm a 16 hcp and my wedge game is really good at times and really bad at others  🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️.  I used the 56 Max Milled this weekend loaned to me by another WRX'er and found them soooo much easier to hit.  I COULD NOT BELIEVE how much easier out of the sand it was.  I'm ordering the 54 and 58.  I used my 60* once in the past weekend for a flop shot and chunked it.  I'm ordering a 54 and 58 Max Milled as soon as my wife pays the credit card for my last golf purchase 😇🤦‍♂️

Edit: I'm going to a simpler wedge set up.  My OEM set came with a 48* Gap wedge.  I use that wedge for anything from 50 yards to 105 yards.  My full PW goes 115-120.  I can hit knock down PW 100-110.  I found myself struggling to reduce my bag to 14 clubs with 3-4 wedges that I either rarely used or just confused situations trying to decide which wedge to use.

Edited by wantacigar
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, wantacigar said:

I used the 56 Max Milled this weekend loaned to me by another WRX'er and found them soooo much easier to hit.  I COULD NOT BELIEVE how much easier out of the sand it was.  I'm ordering the 54 and 58.  I used my 60* once in the past weekend for a flop shot and chunked it.  I'm ordering a 54 and 58 Max Milled as soon as my wife pays the credit card for my last golf purchase 😇🤦‍♂️

You will not regret it.  I went from a 3 wedge setup to the Max 54 with 0.90 sole and the 58 with 1.05 sole.  Great sand clubs too.  The 54 is nice for longer bunker shots.  I have far more sand shots than flop shots, so the right choice foe me.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Klubster said:

You will not regret it.  I went from a 3 wedge setup to the Max 54 with 0.90 sole and the 58 with 1.05 sole.  Great sand clubs too.  The 54 is nice for longer bunker shots.  I have far more sand shots than flop shots, so the right choice foe me.

I had the 56 and the ball was coming out high but long!  Not a thinned or bladed shot, just crispier.  The 58 would have been much better.  Is there a big difference between the .90 and 1.05 for a 54 (primarily bunker sand interaction) that would be used primarily for longer bunker and chip shots?  Using the 1.05 in the 56 has be apprehensive about going to the .90 for the 54.

36 minutes ago, wantacigar said:

I had the 56 and the ball was coming out high but long!  Not a thinned or bladed shot, just crispier.  The 58 would have been much better.  Is there a big difference between the .90 and 1.05 for a 54 (primarily bunker sand interaction) that would be used primarily for longer bunker and chip shots?  Using the 1.05 in the 56 has be apprehensive about going to the .90 for the 54.

I went with those soles based on bounce.  The 54 with 0.90 sole is 10 degrees while the wide is only 6 degrees.  I know the wider sole adds effective bounce, but was not sure it would add that much.  Both have worked well from the sand.  My previous wedges were lower bounce and more narrow sole.  I left my share of balls in the sand with them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Klubster said:

I went with those soles based on bounce.  The 54 with 0.90 sole is 10 degrees while the wide is only 6 degrees.  I know the wider sole adds effective bounce, but was not sure it would add that much.  Both have worked well from the sand.  My previous wedges were lower bounce and more narrow sole.  I left my share of balls in the sand with them.

The TSW DRM 56* is 12* of bounce But I find I dig in a bit more and "chunk" the sand but the 1.05 56 Max Milled just don't.  I don't get it but it works!  

8 minutes ago, wantacigar said:

The TSW DRM 56* is 12* of bounce But I find I dig in a bit more and "chunk" the sand but the 1.05 56 Max Milled just don't.  I don't get it but it works!  

The TSW has a sharper leading edge, so it will dig more if hit it wrong. If I have an issue with that I'll just grind the leading edge down a bit to give some relief. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, wantacigar said:

It just must be the sole grind.  The TSW appears to be more V-shaped vs radiused on the Max.  So many different swings-so many different choices.  It is just what works for us, not others.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, iamlowsound said:

The TSW has a more aggressive grind and I like to open the face a bit and cut basically every shot inside 50 yards. The TSW has a much better grind for opening the face. 

This! I've read some posts about people digging too much with the TSW, and it certainly has a sharper leading edge, but my god does is have a nice sole grind.

I can pull off any shot imaginable with my 54 TSW, the leading edge helps keep it closer to the ground when you open it up, prefer it over the Vokey M grind as a matter of fact!

• Like 1

Just now, Multipass613 said:

This! I've read some posts about people digging too much with the TSW, and it certainly has a sharper leading edge, but my god does is have a nice sole grind.

I can pull off any shot imaginable with my 54 TSW, the leading edge helps keep it closer to the ground when you open it up, prefer it over the Vokey M grind as a matter of fact!

The TSW are really nice.  I like the sole as well, but the leading edge is far too sharp for my lack of talent.  That said I do ok with the 60 & 56, but I struggle trying to use the 52. I keep meaning to see if I can blunt them to some degree, but I've been sticking with my Callaway wedges for now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Multipass613 said:

I can pull off any shot imaginable with my 54 TSW, the leading edge helps keep it closer to the ground

Maybe this is unrelated but I have found I like a narrower sole as well. In my TS1-IMs I was worried the narrow sole would dig (it doesn't for me) and somehow I liked it better than my previous irons which had a pronounced V-sole and were wider. I have always thought of myself as fairly steep into the ball so all of this runs counter with what I had always been told. Another reason to experiment. #buymoreequipment

• Like 3

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

I was using the Kirkland wedges for 2 years but the courses I play are coastal links and the sand is pebbly.  Ate up the wedge face after 50-60 rounds.  Wanted to try better wedges.  The sole on the Kirkland is more radiused and the leading edge isn't as sharp.  I guess that's why I liked them so much.  I want something different with graphite to match the MMT 70R graphite in my irons and the appears the Max Milled fills that want.  

6 minutes ago, vandyfan said:

Maybe this is unrelated but I have found I like a narrower sole as well. In my TS1-IMs I was worried the narrow sole would dig (it doesn't for me) and somehow I liked it better than my previous irons which had a pronounced V-sole and were wider. I have always thought of myself as fairly steep into the ball so all of this runs counter with what I had always been told. Another reason to experiment. #buymoreequipment

I find the exact same thing in my OG TS1 irons, narrow soles but they cut through turf like butter.

Agreed, keep buying new shiny toys and never stop experimenting haha.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wantacigar said:

The wider sole creates a higher "effective bounce", which is of great benefit to many players from the sand.   The old Hogan "sure out" was the design where many first discovered this

Edited by Cwebb
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Cwebb said:

The wider sole creates a higher "effective bounce", which is of great benefit to many players from the sand.   The old Hogan "sure out" was the design where many first discovered this

Very interesting! I am wondering if I made the right choice in wedge based on this discussion! I have a TSW 56 (12 bounce) coming tomorrow (along with new TS3s 5-GW, custom ordered arriving in 9 business days); ultimately went that direction because I only really use that club out of the sand, thick rough, or for a flop shot. I played a Vokey SM6 (S grind, 10 bounce) for a long time and that worked great for the three shots I just described. I bought the TSW thinking that would play similarly to my worn out SM6 for less than half the price of a new Vokey or Cleveland. 

Unrelated question: I am wondering if anyone has experience with the top of the bag options from GolfWorks. Sorry if this has been extensively discussed elsewhere in this thread, it can be hard to comb through everything. For context, I have a 16 degree Mizuno CLK hybrid and a 20 degree Callaway Rogue ST Max Hybrid and only carry 12 clubs so I could add in something in the 13-14 or 18-19 degree range depending on what the club did for me.

I have always been intrigued by driving irons, but find hybrids so easy to hit that I never have pulled the trigger. I hit a high ball and am interested in finding a lower flight club for the tee or to attack par 5s that allow you to run the ball up. I can hit this shot with my 5 iron, but would like to be able to do it with a club that carries longer.  

Anybody have any experience with the new fairway woods or the KE4 FDI hybrid iron? For the hybrid iron, how did you choose the shaft? I play Mitsubishi tensei blue shaft in my driver and current hybrids, but not sure if I would go the lower spin shaft route for this club. 

24 minutes ago, OhioGolf7272 said:

Very interesting! I am wondering if I made the right choice in wedge based on this discussion! I have a TSW 56 (12 bounce) coming tomorrow (along with new TS3s 5-GW, custom ordered arriving in 9 business days); ultimately went that direction because I only really use that club out of the sand, thick rough, or for a flop shot. I played a Vokey SM6 (S grind, 10 bounce) for a long time and that worked great for the three shots I just described. I bought the TSW thinking that would play similarly to my worn out SM6 for less than half the price of a new Vokey or Cleveland. 

Unrelated question: I am wondering if anyone has experience with the top of the bag options from GolfWorks. Sorry if this has been extensively discussed elsewhere in this thread, it can be hard to comb through everything. For context, I have a 16 degree Mizuno CLK hybrid and a 20 degree Callaway Rogue ST Max Hybrid and only carry 12 clubs so I could add in something in the 13-14 or 18-19 degree range depending on what the club did for me.

I have always been intrigued by driving irons, but find hybrids so easy to hit that I never have pulled the trigger. I hit a high ball and am interested in finding a lower flight club for the tee or to attack par 5s that allow you to run the ball up. I can hit this shot with my 5 iron, but would like to be able to do it with a club that carries longer.  

Anybody have any experience with the new fairway woods or the KE4 FDI hybrid iron? For the hybrid iron, how did you choose the shaft? I play Mitsubishi tensei blue shaft in my driver and current hybrids, but not sure if I would go the lower spin shaft route for this club. 

I have the Maltby KE4 Tour TC 4W in 16* and the Maltby HyWay 21* both with the MPF Pro Series shafts in R flex.  I'm 57 and not swinging as hard as I used to.  The MPF run a stiff R flex close to what a S flex in some other shafts run. The MPF shaft also produces a more mid flight for a more piercing shot.  I get about 200 +/- on the 4W from the deck depending upon wind, etc. I've gotten up to 225 with it in the summer.  It has been the easiest FW I've hit off the deck with a really solid sound and good action off the face.  I get about 210-230 off the tee.  I only get 220-235 with the driver.  I pull the 4W out when I have a narrow fairway or I can't hit my driver.  There's only 15-20 gap in distance with more control

The HyWay is a larger hybrid type head between a 7W or 9W head and hybrid head.  My 21* is my go to 175-180 club.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Multipass613 said:

Yeah, the sole grind looks perfect for me. If they dig, I own an angle grinder and I'll just add some leading edge relief. My 54° has always been my jack of all trades club and the grind looks perfect for what I like to do. Opening up the face, hitting down, and cutting across the ball adds a lot of forgiveness to wedge shots in my experience. The TSW looks perfect for that.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KCEE said:

The TSW are really nice.  I like the sole as well, but the leading edge is far too sharp for my lack of talent.  That said I do ok with the 60 & 56, but I struggle trying to use the 52. I keep meaning to see if I can blunt them to some degree, but I've been sticking with my Callaway wedges for now.

You can file down the leading edge so it looks more like a Titleist V Grind, a TM Tiger Grind or a Callaway C or J Grind. What it does is add more effective bounce on the leading edge to prevent that digging. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mabowden said:

How long have you all been waiting for shipment on your Maltby orders?

I've been waiting at most 3 days to Maryland.  Once it ships, it's 2 days so sometimes it ships same day if I order early enough and if not next day.

Regarding Maltby wedges, I've mentioned it before but I think that's their biggest gap right now.  From Driver through putter they have phenomenal options for low handicap players except for the wedge.  They really don't have a steep "players" wedge similar to Callaway's X-Grind or Vokey's D-Grind (a high bounce C grind with heel relief for steep swingers).

I think if they took one of the Max milled 1.05" soles, put a C-grind on it and blunted the leading edge they would have a killer wedge for steep players and bunkers.

Maltby KE4 TC Max MPF Pro Stiff
Callaway Rogue 3W Synergy 60

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 19*, 22* Matrix  HX3 White Tie
Taylormade Burner TP Japan Issue 5-PW DG120

Callaway MD4 Raw 52*, 58* DG115
Maltby PTM-5

26 minutes ago, wantacigar said:

I have the Maltby KE4 Tour TC 4W in 16* and the Maltby HyWay 21* both with the MPF Pro Series shafts in R flex.  I'm 57 and not swinging as hard as I used to.  The MPF run a stiff R flex close to what a S flex in some other shafts run. The MPF shaft also produces a more mid flight for a more piercing shot.  I get about 200 +/- on the 4W from the deck depending upon wind, etc. I've gotten up to 225 with it in the summer.  It has been the easiest FW I've hit off the deck with a really solid sound and good action off the face.  I get about 210-230 off the tee.  I only get 220-235 with the driver.  I pull the 4W out when I have a narrow fairway or I can't hit my driver.  There's only 15-20 gap in distance with more control

The HyWay is a larger hybrid type head between a 7W or 9W head and hybrid head.  My 21* is my go to 175-180 club.

I have both those clubs, also with the MPF pro shafts, as well as a 5hybrid from the KE4 Tour TC line with a Rapport Blue shaft.  They're all amazingly easy to hit, and don't have the "lefts" for me like some hybrids and fairways do.  I use them frequently at my lake place, and would have zero issues gaming them in league instead of my Callaway clubs.   

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym 10.5* HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway 3HL Paradym X HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway 7w Paradym HZRDUS Silver 5.5

Tour Edge C522 4 and 6 hybrids Fubuki HL 55R

Callaway 6-52* irons Paradym HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway Jaws Raw 58* Catalyst Wedge

Odyssey 11 Triple Track SuperStroke Traxion 2.0 

1 hour ago, achappy said:

I've been waiting at most 3 days to Maryland.  Once it ships, it's 2 days so sometimes it ships same day if I order early enough and if not next day.

Regarding Maltby wedges, I've mentioned it before but I think that's their biggest gap right now.  From Driver through putter they have phenomenal options for low handicap players except for the wedge.  They really don't have a steep "players" wedge similar to Callaway's X-Grind or Vokey's D-Grind (a high bounce C grind with heel relief for steep swingers).

I think if they took one of the Max milled 1.05" soles, put a C-grind on it and blunted the leading edge they would have a killer wedge for steep players and bunkers.

They have new wedges coming, probably this fall. Basically an update to the MG wedges but with a bunch of bounce and grind options. Britt has mentioned it a few times on the Maltby forum. 

I ordered from GolfWorks Canada yesterday and my order just shipped. It's so fast I'm worried they didn't assemble the clubs like I requested! Oh well, it's not hard to do if they just send the parts. 

Ordered TS1 IM 9 iron head, a Recoil 780 F3 shaft & some ferrules on April 2nd, received today, one week to Utah.

Glued up the club today, looks beautiful. Let it dry overnight, blow on a grip tomorrow & give it a hit.

Boy the Ion plating finish on the Recoil shafts is pretty thick. Tried to dry fit when I opened the box but wouldn't even begin to go in.

When I prepped the tip I noticed how thick the finish is. Looks like a couple different layers & you have to sand a bit to get to the raw graphite shaft material.

The head is really beautiful in hand, looks even better than the photos. Looking forward to trying this combo out👍

• Like 4

Ping G400 Max 9.0 - Alta CB 55 R 

Ping G400 5 wood - Alta CB 65 R

PIng G425 Max 7 wood - Alta CB 65 R

Mizuno CLK hybrid - Tensei CK Blue 70 R

Mizuno JPX 923 FliHi 23 & 26 - Recoil ESX R

Maltby TS1 IM 7-GW - Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap R

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54/12 - Rotex 70 wedge flex

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58/06- Rotex 70 wedge flex

Odyessey Eleven Tour Lined

34 minutes ago, iamlowsound said:

For GolfWorks Canada, I ordered yesterday at lunch and just received a shipping confirmation about an hour ago. 

Ah, I ordered last Thursday and nothing so far.  I'm not in a hurry so I was just wondering what the consensus was.  I did order 9 clubs, but all standard pax (no customization other than being assembled).

1 hour ago, mabowden said:

Ah, I ordered last Thursday and nothing so far.  I'm not in a hurry so I was just wondering what the consensus was.  I did order 9 clubs, but all standard pax (no customization other than being assembled).

I'm actually a bit worried that they didn't assemble the clubs because of how fast it was shipped...