2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Maltby TS2

Popeye64

5 hours ago, TexanIIDriver said:

I think I'm sold lol.  Had an extensive range session, feel and performance were superb.  I will probably play a few rounds with it in the bag, but pretty sure I'm going to pull the trigger on a full set in the next week or two.  Now the hard part is deciding on mixing a 4 and 5 with possibly TS3 or TE+, or may full 4-G in the TS4.  My last Maltby club in the bag was a Max Milled 60 that was kicked out by an SM9, but looks like the Maltby drought was short lived!20240322_131226.jpg.edde4c51e965dd0bc86c38957288a328.jpg20240322_131243.jpg.5ccb9bf310cdd134a70494e01f7bad99.jpg20240322_131306.jpg.7b8a23b860d159fcd6e687f27b801de3.jpg20240322_131338.jpg.b230c29d2baaaa86bc4f0022cdf4d227.jpg20240322_131345.jpg.a5c795581b0c29b06bacde84f96cdb7b.jpg

And just when I thought I was sold on the original ts1 irons. damn it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jagall75 said:

Good to know thanks!! yeah I’ve noticed the clickiness of the te+. My remedy was to go down in shaft flex, which helped some. The ts4 sound very appealing, I might be replacing more than just the pw/gw. 

9 hours ago, TexanIIDriver said:

I think I'm sold lol.  Had an extensive range session, feel and performance were superb.  I will probably play a few rounds with it in the bag, but pretty sure I'm going to pull the trigger on a full set in the next week or two.  Now the hard part is deciding on mixing a 4 and 5 with possibly TS3 or TE+, or may full 4-G in the TS4.  My last Maltby club in the bag was a Max Milled 60 that was kicked out by an SM9, but looks like the Maltby drought was short lived!20240322_131226.jpg.edde4c51e965dd0bc86c38957288a328.jpg20240322_131243.jpg.5ccb9bf310cdd134a70494e01f7bad99.jpg20240322_131306.jpg.7b8a23b860d159fcd6e687f27b801de3.jpg20240322_131338.jpg.b230c29d2baaaa86bc4f0022cdf4d227.jpg20240322_131345.jpg.a5c795581b0c29b06bacde84f96cdb7b.jpg

I understand your thinking. I have a bag of TS-1 irons. I got the TS-4 in a 7 iron and began playing it. I decided I am undecided on the 6 and 5. So I ordered the TS-4 heads for the 8 and 9 and had them swapped onto my existing clubs. My set is now TS-1 Gap and Pitching, TS-4 7,8,9 and TS-1 5 and 6.  So I am migrating into a new set more than a quick transition.

12 hours ago, TexanIIDriver said:

What shaft?

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

After skimming I’ve given up on finding the answer and wanted to ask…. Is there a comparable “big brand” head that the TS3 is similar to? Or even what would be similar to a mizzy 223 or something 243? As someone new to Maltby clubs besides their wedges (which I love) it’s hard to commit to an iron without being confident in its appearance

1 hour ago, justinscoy said:

After skimming I’ve given up on finding the answer and wanted to ask…. Is there a comparable “big brand” head that the TS3 is similar to? Or even what would be similar to a mizzy 223 or something 243? As someone new to Maltby clubs besides their wedges (which I love) it’s hard to commit to an iron without being confident in its appearance

Here's address pics of 5 thru 9

Edit- my friend has 718 AP2s.  When I put them side by side they look pretty similar, except the hosel blend and offset look better on the TS3 to my eye.  The AP2s look a bit weird in comparison. 

20230819_111732.jpg

Edited by brew4eagle
  • Like 3

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

12 hours ago, brew4eagle said:

Here's address pics of 5 thru 9

Edit- my friend has 718 AP2s.  When I put them side by side they look pretty similar, except the hosel blend and offset look better on the TS3 to my eye.  The AP2s look a bit weird in comparison. 

20230819_111732.jpg

Thanks for sharing! Good to know they’re on the smaller side…. I’ve gone through all sorts of game improvement irons but keep going back to MP5’s bc I love the look and am a glutton for punishment I suppose. Almost bit the bullet on JPX923 forged last summer but didn’t, just ordered a TS3 6 iron to demo 

I have a lefty friend looking for irons.  He's playing REALLY old Golfsmith irons from the 90's.  What are the STi2's like?  He is about a bogey golfer, and those would be pretty inexpensive

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym 10.5* HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway 3HL Paradym X HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway 7w Paradym HZRDUS Silver 5.5

Tour Edge C522 4 and 6 hybrids Fubuki HL 55R

Callaway 6-52* irons Paradym HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway Jaws Raw 58* Catalyst Wedge

Odyssey 11 Triple Track SuperStroke Traxion 2.0 

1 hour ago, goalie said:

I have a lefty friend looking for irons.  He's playing REALLY old Golfsmith irons from the 90's.  What are the STi2's like?  He is about a bogey golfer, and those would be pretty inexpensive

sorry to piggy back your question, but I am also interested in this.  my son got his lefty Top Flite set when he was 13, and he will be 17 soon, they have been beat up.      

• Like 2

2 hours ago, goalie said:

A lefty friend of mine was looking for a spare set for his winter home.  He was playing Callaway Rogue irons in graphite and I suggested the Sti2 Kuro Kage pak.  First, they look much better in person than the Golfworks pics.  He liked them better than the Callaway and they are now his main set.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, goalie said:

STI2s are great. Very forgiving and the value is impossible to beat imo. I play off a 7 and they work great for me. Also, they do look a little better in person but not as nice as the TS3/4 etc. 

OK, wanting to get the 52 and 56 max milled wedges.  I have the TSW DRM in 50 and 56 and I tend to dig sometimes with them.  Just got new set of PXG 0211 XCor2 as gift from kids with MMT 70R graphite.  want to get wedges in graphite but unsure the differences in the MPF and Kuro Kage in the wedges.  I've only played steel shafts up till now on all irons and wedges so don't know how the wedges perform with graphite vs. steel either.

Would appreciate any input.

1 hour ago, wantacigar said:

OK, wanting to get the 52 and 56 max milled wedges.  I have the TSW DRM in 50 and 56 and I tend to dig sometimes with them.  Just got new set of PXG 0211 XCor2 as gift from kids with MMT 70R graphite.  want to get wedges in graphite but unsure the differences in the MPF and Kuro Kage in the wedges.  I've only played steel shafts up till now on all irons and wedges so don't know how the wedges perform with graphite vs. steel either.

Catalyst wedge shaft all the way every day ending in Y for me.  I LOVE them in my Jaws Raw's

• Like 3

Callaway Paradym 10.5* HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway 3HL Paradym X HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway 7w Paradym HZRDUS Silver 5.5

Tour Edge C522 4 and 6 hybrids Fubuki HL 55R

Callaway 6-52* irons Paradym HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway Jaws Raw 58* Catalyst Wedge

Odyssey 11 Triple Track SuperStroke Traxion 2.0 

5 hours ago, wantacigar said:

On my current course, I almost never hit a full wedge shot.  I replaced my 3 wedge Maltby's with the Max Milled 54 and 58 with the Kuro Kage in A-flex for more feel around the greens.  Seems to work well.  On fuller shots, does not feel whippy at all but does fly higher than my S-flex steel wedges did.  Went with the narrow sole in the 54 and wide in the 58.  Both are good sand clubs and for my situation, better than the old wedges.

Edited by Klubster
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, wantacigar said:

I'm a person who had to go to graphite for elbow reasons.  I've found the stock graphite in wedges to work well with my other clubs.  Specifically the Rotex 90g graphite in Cleveland and the 80g Catalyst spinner in Cleveland and other wedges.

I'd try the Kuro Kage and see what happens.  I tried a Maltby MPF in a wedge and it's a bad fit for me.  The MPF is super stout and didn't work for me in irons either.

Take a chance on the KK and report back.

• Thanks 1

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

1 hour ago, bekgolf said:

I'm a person who had to go to graphite for elbow reasons.  I've found the stock graphite in wedges to work well with my other clubs.  Specifically the Rotex 90g graphite in Cleveland and the 80g Catalyst spinner in Cleveland and other wedges.

I'd try the Kuro Kage and see what happens.  I tried a Maltby MPF in a wedge and it's a bad fit for me.  The MPF is super stout and didn't work for me in irons either.

Take a chance on the KK and report back.

I have the MPF R flex in my HyWay 21* and Tour TC 4W.  I like them in those clubs but I know they are a bit more a light S flex or strong R.  I want more launch from the wedges.  KK it is.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wantacigar said:

Sent PM to your inbox

I currently have Ping G425 irons with metal AWT shafts.  I want to change to a head with a much higher MPF and lighter graphite shafts.  I am 63 yrs of age with reasonable fitness but have some issues with my right hip that limits me.  if my hip is ok, my driver club speed peaks at 95 MPH.  I'm bogey golfer now but taking lessons this spring with Golftec and we'll have to see how much better I get but I do expect a lower handicap. 

I am a recent big fan of Maltby and Golfworks.  I just picked up a pak of the M890's, driver and 5w for my wife who is just taking up golf.  And picked up a partial set of used KE4 Max irons in graphite for my son.  Spent some time this past weekend comparing his KE4 Max to the G425s and I like the Max a lot better for forgiveness and weight.  

The G425's have an MPF of 605.  I'm interested in changing to the KE4 Max or the TS3 (4-GW pak set in either) and can't decide which to pick.  the MPF is fairly close for these two and much higher than the G425's.  I'm in Canada and I'm not really interested in getting a TS3 demo.  I called and they will make one but the policy is you can't get a credit if you go for a pak after and you can't return it, so that rules out being able to do a real comparison unless I eat around $200 Cdn, which sucks.  

Looking for some anecdotal personal thoughts on how the Max and TS3 compare for forgiveness.  I do love the looks of the TS3 over the Max and I'd appreciate the feel of them too.  And its big enough jump in MPF over the Ping's I'd welcome that for sure.  I guess the question I have is, is the Max noticeably easier to hit over the TS3 (especially the longer irons)?

Edited by bmckenney

1 hour ago, bmckenney said:

Looking for some anecdotal personal thoughts on how the Max and TS3 compare for forgiveness.  I do love the looks of the TS3 over the Max and I'd appreciate the feel of them too.  And its big enough jump in MPF over the Ping's I'd welcome that for sure.  I guess the question I have is, is the Max noticeably easier to hit over the TS3 (especially the longer irons)?

According to Maltby, a difference in MPF of 100 is not significant.  It all depends on your miss.  The Max will have a larger sweet spot and have more forgiveness toward the toe.  The TS3 has a lower COG and may help on thin  shots.  Overall, the Max is probably the most forgiving club in their lineup. 

Edited by Klubster

6 hours ago, Klubster said:

On my current course, I almost never hit a full wedge shot.  I replaced my 3 wedge Maltby's with the Max Milled 54 and 58 with the Kuro Kage in A-flex for more feel around the greens.  Seems to work well.  On fuller shots, does not feel whippy at all but does fly higher than my S-flex steel wedges did.  Went with the narrow sole in the 54 and wide in the 58.  Both are good sand clubs and for my situation, better than the old wedges.

I had a 52 degree Max narrow sole that came with the TS3 heads I got off the bay. Last night I just ordered the 56 degree Pak (Score Lt) in the wide sole and a 60 degree glider Pak as well. My 52 degree I used the NV shafts that I put in my TS3's. So I thought I would try the Score LT in these other two and test the difference. Also for S and G's I picked up a 56 degree TSW DRM to test since they are on sale. 

Now it just needs to warm up!! 

• Like 3