Maltby TS2

Popeye64

On the topic of 52° gap wedges, I’m currently playing the PTM black set (48° GW) and 52° Vokey SM9 08F. I only really use the 52° Vokey for full shots and I find it launches way too high, even if the gapping is basically fine. It’s also got a pretty sharp leading edge that doesn’t inspire confidence in wet conditions. I find myself reaching for the 48° and taking some off it rather than just hitting my stock 52°. Even around the greens, the sole grind on the PTMs gives me a ton of confidence to avoid stub-outs.

While it changes frequently, I am hitting the 48° 130-135 and the 52° 115-120 with “normal” stock swings.

Has anyone run into this issue and solved it by bending a different iron set GW to 52°? I saw mention of doing this with the DBM (I have a set on-hand) but I doubt that would solve my high launch concerns. Was thinking this might be a good candidate for the TS4. It has less measured bounce but weakening would add some and the sole grind is already a little friendlier.

So the new bottom of the bag would be

PTM 48°

TS4 50>52°

Vokey 56°

Maltby 60°

Would I be better off just grabbing a higher-bounce Vokey or other specialty wedge? Appreciate the expertise.

Edited by mynameisntshawn
Clarifying

I got the 52* Paradym iron and it's probably my favorite club in the bag.  It's the last club I take full swings with, and I think having a 50-52* set option is ideal for me.  

If forced to go "wedge" in 52* I'd probably go Callaway CB or similar.  

Callaway Paradym 10.5* HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway 3HL Paradym X HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway 7w Paradym HZRDUS Silver 5.5

Tour Edge C522 4 and 6 hybrids Fubuki HL 55R

Callaway 6-52* irons Paradym HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway Jaws Raw 58* Catalyst Wedge

Odyssey 11 Triple Track SuperStroke Traxion 2.0 

16 hours ago, goalie said:

Anyone try the new Maltby KE4 TC Pro Adjustable Fairway Woods yet?  I'm pondering a 7w, and I get along with the MPF shafts in woods, so it would be inexpensive.  

For reference, I get along pretty well with the 21* HyWay utility that is 7ish....

Just quoting myself to say never mind.  I was weak and grabbed a 7w off CPO that had the shaft I wanted.  

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym 10.5* HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway 3HL Paradym X HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway 7w Paradym HZRDUS Silver 5.5

Tour Edge C522 4 and 6 hybrids Fubuki HL 55R

Callaway 6-52* irons Paradym HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway Jaws Raw 58* Catalyst Wedge

Odyssey 11 Triple Track SuperStroke Traxion 2.0 

On 3/10/2024 at 8:58 PM, snuzzo29 said:

I'll probably end up with the GW in the future when I rework my wedges. I currently play 52, 56 and 60 as it gaps well with the TS3 GW. If the 45.5 to 52 is too much I'll have to look into doing the TS4 GW to 54 and 58.

54-58 in TSW is exactly what I have two sets of.    I am interested in the bounce options of their upcoming wedges.    Best of luck in your bag configuration

16 minutes ago, Gdashoff said:

What affect does changing loft have on bounce? Would taking the 49.5 TS1 GW to 52 take the bounce from 4-6.5?

Absolutely don't need a new 52 but after reading previous post thinking that might be an awesome wedge to add into my TS-1IMs.

It's a 1 to 1 relationship.  Every degree of loft change has that same amount of bounce change.  Increasing loft equals more bounce, and vice versa.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

30 minutes ago, Mike412 said:

I’ve been looking at these. Why are the TS2’s stronger lofted than the KE4’s? KE4 7i=32°, TS2 7i=30° I’m not a club designer, I’m just an idiot on the internet but I would like to see them swapped.

KE4 S is 32*, the KE4 Max is 30*. The S has been around a bit and the Max is the more recent model with more recent lofts. TS2 is the forged SGI that had a slightly higher price point. Max is the cast SGI with the lower price point. 

Edited by enfuego

Driver: Sim OG 8* (-2g), Diamana ZF 40x

3wood: Sim Ti Rocket @13*, Aldila NV Green 55x

5wood: Sim Ti @18*, Aldila NV Green 55x

4i-GW: Ke4 Max (-8g), SMT Bassara 65x +1"

SW: CBX2 52*, Rotex Precision 90g wedge flex

LW: Tour Grind MG 60*

P: 2013 Scotty Cameron Newport Black, Pistolero

Grips: Lamkin Crossline 58r Standard

Ball: TP5X 2019/2024

2 hours ago, Mike412 said:

I’ve been looking at these. Why are the TS2’s stronger lofted than the KE4’s? KE4 7i=32°, TS2 7i=30° I’m not a club designer, I’m just an idiot on the internet but I would like to see them swapped.

To use "extra distance" per club # as a selling point.  Most companies have a design or two, with lower lofts for this reason.  Has nothing to do with the design details of the club, in terms of center of gravity or anything else

11 hours ago, mynameisntshawn said:

On the topic of 52° gap wedges, I’m currently playing the PTM black set (48° GW) and 52° Vokey SM9 08F. I only really use the 52° Vokey for full shots and I find it launches way too high, even if the gapping is basically fine. It’s also got a pretty sharp leading edge that doesn’t inspire confidence in wet conditions. I find myself reaching for the 48° and taking some off it rather than just hitting my stock 52°. Even around the greens, the sole grind on the PTMs gives me a ton of confidence to avoid stub-outs.

While it changes frequently, I am hitting the 48° 130-135 and the 52° 115-120 with “normal” stock swings.

Has anyone run into this issue and solved it by bending a different iron set GW to 52°? I saw mention of doing this with the DBM (I have a set on-hand) but I doubt that would solve my high launch concerns. Was thinking this might be a good candidate for the TS4. It has less measured bounce but weakening would add some and the sole grind is already a little friendlier.

PTM 48°

TS4 50>52°

Vokey 56°

Maltby 60°

Would I be better off just grabbing a higher-bounce Vokey or other specialty wedge? Appreciate the expertise.

You could do this with the original TS1, TS2, or TS4.   Remember that both the original TS1 and the  TS2 have Pw and Gw's that are solid one piece designs, not hollow thin faced like the rest of those sets.   So more normal feeling/sounding like most wedges

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mynameisntshawn said:

PTM 48°

TS4 50>52°

Vokey 56°

Maltby 60°

I've been thinking of something similar, I keep switching between a 52 and 54.  The 52 is a CBX Zipcore and it works pretty well for full swings but I'm thinking that the TE Forged G bent to 53 would be perfect.  I had the M-05 Logic (same head as the TE iirc) many years ago and the G was fantastic.

• Like 1

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

5 hours ago, bekgolf said:

I've been thinking of something similar, I keep switching between a 52 and 54.  The 52 is a CBX Zipcore and it works pretty well for full swings but I'm thinking that the TE Forged G bent to 53 would be perfect.  I had the M-05 Logic (same head as the TE iirc) many years ago and the G was fantastic.

It's the same basic head design and shape as the original M-05, but Maltby decided to lower the AVCOG a bit from .728" to .675" when they released 2nd version that was called the MTF.  The TE then remained the same design, but with no "Maltby" stamped on the sole and updated conforming grooves

• Thanks 1

I only play about once per month anymore, so it's taken awhile to get some on course experience with the TS3s.  They're definitely growing on me, glad nobody bought them when I had them in the BST.

• Like 2

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

Wondering if someone could provide a comparison of the performance of the KE4Max and the TS-3 Forged. I have a KE4 Max 7 iron that I have been testing for a month or so. I like it, but isn't getting the spin or height I am accustomed to. Thinking the TS-3 might spin more with more height without sacrificing too much forgiveness? 

9 hours ago, Punkekid said:

Wondering if someone could provide a comparison of the performance of the KE4Max and the TS-3 Forged. I have a KE4 Max 7 iron that I have been testing for a month or so. I like it, but isn't getting the spin or height I am accustomed to. Thinking the TS-3 might spin more with more height without sacrificing too much forgiveness? 

Note the Max = 30* and TS3 = 32*. Hopefully someone who has played both models will give a good comparison.  You may consider the STi2 as the 7 = 32.  I am coincidentally in a similar boat as you where I hit the Max 7i well but it's not quite high enough....so I'm on a quest to find a replacement at that loft.  I went back to the STi2 set and am realizing how much I liked them!  The other option would be to get the lofts checked and tweak the 7 weaker and see if that does the trick!

11 hours ago, Punkekid said:

Loft is always the easiest way to get more height and spin.

• Like 3

Strong lofted clubs like the KE4Max provide a fitter/player several options, the two less discussed are: stronger lofted clubs allows you to play essentially 1/2 short from standard (steel) or standard graphite for the club's degrees without having to use tip weights/lead tape.   Additionally Max makes it super easy as it has a toe screw option to help accommodate.  And, if you only play occasionally why wouldn't you have an easy club head to hit.

Some hate the club head number not matching the loft they think the club head number should be; hence, a good argument for all club heads to have degrees vice number.

Max is very well received, in fact I think better than the STi which was the rage for a bit.   

Note: the Max kicked those little evil TE Forged (real traditional lofts) out of my Sunday bag.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ode said:

comparison of the performance of the KE4Max and the TS-3 Forged

KE4Max is a great club, lots of solid reviews on it.  Very easy to hit.

TS-3 Forged matches up with the cast KE4 S , again both Very easy to hit.

STi is a great club head , we use it for all of our shaft testing , ect. 

I am bagging a set of STi  clubs now, and they probably have had 1/2 dozen shaft lie combos on them.  Easy to hit.  One day I will build a set of TS-3's, as I will want the extra 100+ MPF.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RSLP said:

KE4Max is a great club, lots of solid reviews on it.  Very easy to hit.

TS-3 Forged matches up with the cast KE4 S , again both Very easy to hit.

STi is a great club head , we use it for all of our shaft testing , ect. 

I am bagging a set of STi  clubs now, and they probably have had 1/2 dozen shaft lie combos on them.  Easy to hit.  One day I will build a set of TS-3's, as I will want the extra 100+ MPF.

I prefer the STi2 soles and turf interaction more.  The KE4 Max are about as point and shoot as they come, but if there is a tendency, it is to fat them.....and they do perform well in that regard.  The STi2 for me are easier to to hit all the trouble shots, as well as partials, flighted, etc. as a result.  I know it's my swing vs. the iron in hand but I've had a season with each and know I can pull off those punch shots easier with the STi2.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mako J said:

So you stayed with the Paderson shafts!? Very cool. Impressions?

I played them quite a long time back. The Paderson shafts in the MMB heads they have been awesome. I had a shot today that I had to hoist up over a tree to a tucked pin. It was a beautiful shot that left a few guys in awe. As the season goes on and the turf firms up I'll work in the 7 iron and possibly the 6. 

I checked the flex of the built 8 irons. The Paderson is playing a full flex stronger. But the Rapid Taper gives up nothing in stability and control. Such a weird shaft. 

• Like 2

On 3/6/2024 at 7:20 AM, KimL72 said:

the PGA store i had my fitting at, the email that was sent to me with my data, was corrupt.   So I have a free 30-45 minute session booked next week just to get some more numbers, to make a more informed decision.    

quoting myself here, lol.    I had my second fitting session yesterday, due to the file and data corruption first time around.   They used the Trackman this time.  

first time he fitted me to a Wilson Dynapower w/ UST Recoil Dart 65 shafts, senior flex.    Second time, I got slightly better numbers with the Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal head paired with the UST Recoil ESX 460 shaft, senior flex.     he said either one of these sets would work well for me.   

That being said, I am probably going to spend my money on lessons first, before buying a new set of irons.   I am horribly inconsistent, with shots ranging from 80 yards to 120 yards, with a 7 iron.    This was an eye opening experience for sure.  

I did like the feeling of both of those heads, when I struck it well, Mizuno having slight edge.    Other than the KE4 Max head, which one is similar to the Mizuno?  TS3 maybe?

9 minutes ago, KimL72 said:

That being said, I am probably going to spend my money on lessons first, before buying a new set of irons.   I am horribly inconsistent, with shots ranging from 80 yards to 120 yards, with a 7 iron.    This was an eye opening experience for sure.  

That is a smart decision.  Until you have a consistent swing, fittings are useless.   

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Klubster said:

That is a smart decision.  Until you have a consistent swing, fittings are useless.   

I am glad I did the fitting though, cost me $50 to let me know I suck.   lol!    

now i won't spend $500 or so on a set of irons, and then get better with lessons and spend another $500 on another set of irons that suite me better.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

Speaking of club heads that match up. I'm having a blast with my MMB Black/PTM Black mixed set. Set make up is MMB 8-GW. 51° on the GW, 4 degree gap with the 8 being 39°. The PTM 8 iron is 36° and I go up to the 4iron. I carry a single wedge at 56° but that GW is really versatile. 

I used them all winter in the simulator and they were awesome. Today was my first outside round. I had almost forgot how accurate the MMB irons are. Stay aggressive with the swing to cut through the turf, and wow are they good. With the two 8 irons the MMB 8 is my 9 iron. They have Kinettixx TS-1 shafts at S flex. The PTM have Rapid Tapers in a hard stepped 105R+. The setup seems to be just right for me. It's unorthodox for sure but it certainly works. I do have to be careful of back spin with the MMBs. They love to zip back. 

Shot an easy -3 on my home coarse. Excited to see how the rest of the season goes but off to a great start. 

20240313_174017.jpg

20240313_174050.jpg

20240313_174125.jpg

I've been scouring the web for the MMB Blacks. Tons of MMB sets out there, and I know the Black was a limited run, but boy do I like the look of those. You can buy a 6i directly from GolfWorks on the bay, though!

1 hour ago, Klubster said:

That can be true but not necessarily.  It depends a lot on the fit and the skill of the fitter.  It is possible that really badly fit clubs will prevent someone from improving.  Clubs that are too heavy and stiff for instance will tend to produce a lot of bad things like over the top and early release as your body tries to overcome the club.  So, you are correct most of the time but not in every case.

• Like 4