2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Maltby TS2

Popeye64

On 3/10/2024 at 6:15 PM, mustang said:

Update on my TS-1 IM build/play.

5-GW-  TS-1IM- Aldila NV 75 #5-#6, NV 85 #7-#8-#9, NV 95 PW-GW.    Star Sidewinder Standard grip.

Some lead tape in all of them to acheive D-1 SW.   D-3 in GW

+I have now played them for about 8 rounds.  This weekend in a 3 club tournament Saturday and a par three cross-country tournament today.   I played the #7 and PW along with #3 wood as my three clubs yesterday.   We played in STRONG winds of 15 mph plus both days.    Dead into the wind was a solid +3 club wind.  

I am sold on them. They do NOT feel buttery like my  ts-3.   They feel very good, but not the melt in your hands that you get with the Ts-3.    They are very maneuverable.  I was able to hit many different windows for ball flight in the wind.  They are predicable for distance.   I will truly gauge distance with warmer weather.   I do feel they may be a tad longer than the TS-3 in RT 95.   That will be tested later this spring.  The TS-3 will get a few rounds to respond.   

I still plan to make a shorter set of the TS-4 with Rapport core blue.  Most likely next fall.    

What a great time to be building and playing component irons.

Good to hear.  Golfworks did me right by crediting me for my TS-1, 8 iron whose face concaved.  Did not even ask for it back.  Given the faces are really worn (three + years having sand between the ball and the club face here in FL) I decided to stay in the TS-1 line with the IM's.  Same shafts and grips as my TS-1's - Steelfiber 95s and Star Sidewinder 360's.  Problem now is I have everything but the 7 iron and Gap which are apparently backordered until early May 😞  But I pulled the trigger on all the other components so I am just waiting.  If they perform the same as the TS-1 (hopefully a bit better) I will be happy.  Not to mention the over $700 I am saving for the same style iron from Titleist, Mizuno, etc.    

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

Speaking of club heads that match up. I'm having a blast with my MMB Black/PTM Black mixed set. Set make up is MMB 8-GW. 51° on the GW, 4 degree gap with the 8 being 39°. The PTM 8 iron is 36° and I go up to the 4iron. I carry a single wedge at 56° but that GW is really versatile. 

I used them all winter in the simulator and they were awesome. Today was my first outside round. I had almost forgot how accurate the MMB irons are. Stay aggressive with the swing to cut through the turf, and wow are they good. With the two 8 irons the MMB 8 is my 9 iron. They have Kinettixx TS-1 shafts at S flex. The PTM have Rapid Tapers in a hard stepped 105R+. The setup seems to be just right for me. It's unorthodox for sure but it certainly works. I do have to be careful of back spin with the MMBs. They love to zip back. 

Shot an easy -3 on my home coarse. Excited to see how the rest of the season goes but off to a great start. 

20240313_174017.jpg

20240313_174050.jpg

20240313_174125.jpg

Man, those PTMs have a really aggressive leading edge relief!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Fiddlesticks said:

I didn't love the TSW sand wedge, but I'll definitely spend some more time with it. Liked the size and weight, but the shape and sole design weren't quite what I was expecting from the pictures.  

@Fiddlesticks What about the shape and sole didn't you like? I am curious since I was thinking of getting a 56 TSW DRM to go with the 52 Max that I have. I've only hit a few balls with the Max at an indoor range so time will tell on that. But I was thinking of trying the TSW for my 56. I've heard a lot of good things about the TSW so I would be interested to hear what you dont like about it. The heads are on sale and I am planning on ordering mid next week if they still have the 56 in stock. 

Good looking clubs there 😉

I have a 54 TSW and 54 & 58 Max Milled.  Depending on course/bunkers I switch out the 54s.  The TSW tended to dig too much for me from fairway or around the green.   A few weeks ago when I was getting lofts and lies checked, I asked the fellow if he would soften the leading edge.  I have used it several times since and maybe it’s just in my head, but it doesn’t seem to want to dig as much.  The TSW is more demanding than the Max Milled for me, but I love its versatility.

• Thanks 1

I've been doing the "minimalist" thing for super early 9's at my lake place the last few years carrying in a Sunday bag, and that looks perfect.  I'm likely to just get the whole pack of 4-GW with the Recoil shafts though, and carry the clubs I want for the day, since the pack is under $400.  

On another note, anyone order "Custom" from Golfworks lately.  I'm past ten days from ordering a KE4 Max 4i to use as a tee stinger and punch out club with it still not shipped.   I don't remember them taking this long on previous orders.  I'm in Minnesota, so it's not like I'm in a hurry, as league doesn't start until the end of April.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym 10.5* HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway 3HL Paradym X HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway 7w Paradym HZRDUS Silver 5.5

Tour Edge C522 4 and 6 hybrids Fubuki HL 55R

Callaway 6-52* irons Paradym HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway Jaws Raw 58* Catalyst Wedge

Odyssey 11 Triple Track SuperStroke Traxion 2.0 

4 minutes ago, NCDuffer said:

I have a 54 TSW and 54 & 58 Max Milled.  Depending on course/bunkers I switch out the 54s.  The TSW tended to dig too much for me from fairway or around the green.   A few weeks ago when I was getting lofts and lies checked, I asked the fellow if he would soften the leading edge.  I have used it several times since and maybe it’s just in my head, but it doesn’t seem to want to dig as much.  The TSW is more demanding than the Max Milled for me, but I love its versatility.

Thanks @NCDuffer I know everyone's swing is different, but that is great to know. I am actually going to order the glider 60 to help with my confidence around the green. My main miss with wedge is skulling it or hitting it fat. It just gets in my head. Since I have the Max 52 I was thinking TSW for the versatility. However maybe the better move would be to stick with the Max 1.05 in 56 and wait until I am more confident with them ... and by then the new wedges will be out. It's just hard to pass up a $35 head when I have a shaft I could use 😁

19 hours ago, iamlowsound said:

Man, those PTMs have a really aggressive leading edge relief!

They do!! Looking at these two heads. It's opposite side of the spectrum. In the wet conditions, MMB, I need to choke down on the club a bit to ensure I don't dig into the turf. The PTMs, don't seem to care what swing you throw at the turf. They just don't dig in. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Double4me said:

@Fiddlesticks What about the shape and sole didn't you like? I am curious since I was thinking of getting a 56 TSW DRM to go with the 52 Max that I have. I've only hit a few balls with the Max at an indoor range so time will tell on that. But I was thinking of trying the TSW for my 56. I've heard a lot of good things about the TSW so I would be interested to hear what you dont like about it. The heads are on sale and I am planning on ordering mid next week if they still have the 56 in stock. 

Good looking clubs there 😉

Thanks @Double4me! For the TSW, the leading edge shape just didn't look right to my eye and I was expecting more relief in the toe. Neither are bad, just not what I was anticipating from the website pictures. If I saw the wedge sitting on a rack in the store I would definitely pick it up and take a look, but I would have probably put it back on the rack and moved on based on the shape. In my one range session I didn't have issues with it digging and was able to lay it open and pop some straight up, but I didn't feel as comfortable with the toe-down chips I tend to favor. We'll see how it does with some reps on the course this weekend. Balance and feel were as good as anything else I've looked at recently.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/12/2024 at 4:46 PM, BConnellan said:

Those look great.  How did you remove the paint from the medallions?

Just used a little acetone and some toothpicks.

Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5* Oban Kyoshi Gold 65S

Tour Edge Exotics C722 18* Ventus Red 7S Velocore

PING G425 Crossover 3 Alta 70R

Maltby TS3 5-GW Project X LZ 5.5

Cleveland RTX4 52*+56*

PING Oslo

6 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

They do!! Looking at these two heads. It's opposite side of the spectrum. In the wet conditions, MMB, I need to choke down on the club a bit to ensure I don't dig into the turf. The PTMs, don't seem to care what swing you throw at the turf. They just don't dig in. 

I want the leading edge relief on some wedges. Like the Tiger grind from Taylor Made. 

• Like 3

On 3/9/2024 at 11:08 PM, Fiddlesticks said:

My half-set got delivered today and they look amazing. DBM Forged in 4/6/8/P bent to 8 degree gaps and a TSW DRM at 56. 

I've always had an issue aligning the toe to the hosel of offset irons (my main set are Callaway XRs) and these aligned so easily at address.

Can't wait to get them to the range and have a golf weekend coming up next week... thinking 2 rounds with these and 2 with my main bag to compare.

PXL_20240310_053623739.jpg

PXL_20240310_053643403.jpg

PXL_20240310_053658443.jpg

PXL_20240310_053726789.jpg

How much of an issue was it bending those? I've heard plenty of horror stories bending these.

Driver: Adams 9088

Fairways: TM V-Steel

Hybrids: Nickent 3DX

Irons: Maltby TE Forged

Wedges: Acer XB Satin

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #1

11 hours ago, Fiddlesticks said:

I had Golfworks do the assembly, they'll bend 2* for loft and lie.

For all the DBM heads it feels like best practice is to have GW do the bending for you if at all possible. If it breaks they will just grab another head and try again. Do it at home or at a shop, you’re out another $40 plus shipping.

• Like 1

Hey, I'm about to pull the trigger on an almost full set, would love to hear your opinions 

4,5,6 ts3

7-gw ts4

All on modus tx120, which works really well for me. 

Wondering if I should bend the ts3 1 degree weaker or leave as is? 

The other question is wedges, I'm going to buy a 54 and bend it to 55 and a 60, but I have no idea which shafts to buy. Never hit full swings with these clubs do you think any of the pak sets would work? Should I go for the modus wedge (never really tried it)? 

Edited by Filipp0

7 minutes ago, Filipp0 said:

Hey, I'm about to pull the trigger on an almost full set, would love to hear your opinions 

4,5,6 ts3

7-gw ts4

All on modus tx120, which works really well for me. 

Wondering if I should bend the ts3 1 degree weaker or leave as is? 

The other question is wedges, I'm going to buy a 54 and bend it to 55 and a 60, but I have no idea which shafts to buy. Never hit full swings with these clubs do you think any of the pak sets would work? Should I go for the modus wedge (never really tried it)? 

Keep in mind that the finishes are different on the TS4 and TS3.  The 4 has a satin pearl finish and the 3 has a brighter "mirror nickel" finish.

Have you considered the TE+ to combo with the TS4?  They are an ideal match, with the same finish and top-line widths

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cwebb said:

Keep in mind that the finishes are different on the TS4 and TS3.  The 4 has a satin pearl finish and the 3 has a brighter "mirror nickel" finish.

Have you considered the TE+ to combo with the TS4?  They are an ideal match, with the same finish and top-line widths

I did not realize that, thanks! And it's supposed to be very forgiving right, similar to the TS3 or TS1 IM?

Oh man, I need to get out and try the KE4 Max 4i that came today.

I shall name it "Stinger"

• Haha 2

Callaway Paradym 10.5* HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway 3HL Paradym X HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway 7w Paradym HZRDUS Silver 5.5

Tour Edge C522 4 and 6 hybrids Fubuki HL 55R

Callaway 6-52* irons Paradym HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway Jaws Raw 58* Catalyst Wedge

Odyssey 11 Triple Track SuperStroke Traxion 2.0 

4 hours ago, Filipp0 said:

I did not realize that, thanks! And it's supposed to be very forgiving right, similar to the TS3 or TS1 IM?

Yeah, they have a lower AVCOG (sweet-spot), which will generally make a longer iron easier to hit for most players. 

The TS1 is different, because they are hollow with a thin active face, which produces a somewhat different feel/sound.

The TS4 and TE+ are both "rigid" face forgings for a more traditional feel, but easy to hit and forgiving for their size and category.  Take a look at the pics posted on page 256 of this thread, to see how they match up

Edited by Cwebb
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Filipp0 said:

If the TE+ is similar to the TE/DBM Forged, which I understand it to be, then the TS3 is noticeably more forgiving in the long irons in my experience.  I have the DBM and TS3 and it really seems the tungsten in the TS3 toe minimizes that 'twisting' feel when I catch it out towards the toe, which is my miss with the 5 and 6 irons.

Edited by brew4eagle
  • Like 3

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

26 minutes ago, brew4eagle said:

If the TE+ is similar to the TE/DBM Forged, which I understand it to be, then the TS3 is noticeably more forgiving in the long irons in my experience.  I have the DBM and TS3 and it really seems the tungsten in the TS3 toe minimizes that 'twisting' feel when I catch it out towards the toe, which is my miss with the 5 and 6 irons.

The TE+ has a longer "C-dimension" or horizontal COG than the TE/DBM at 1.478" vs 1.383".

The TS3 at 1.463"

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cwebb said:

The TE+ has a longer "C-dimension" or horizontal COG than the TE/DBM at 1.478" vs 1.383".

The TS3 at 1.463"

The TE+ was a surprising release for me because it so heavily overlapped with the TS3 in terms of specs and overall “market segment.” To me the TE+ is way more like the TS3 than the DBM/TE it is ostensibly replacing.

i would love to see DBM releases of the TS4 and TS1 IM. Or at least something in the higher-cog segment.

1 hour ago, mynameisntshawn said:

The TE+ was a surprising release for me because it so heavily overlapped with the TS3 in terms of specs and overall “market segment.” To me the TE+ is way more like the TS3 than the DBM/TE it is ostensibly replacing.

i would love to see DBM releases of the TS4 and TS1 IM. Or at least something in the higher-cog segment.

We'll see how long they offer both.  My guess is that the TE+ remains available longer than the TS3, but could be wrong.

Take the PTM for example, which has a very similar profile to the TS3.  They were discontinued after a relatively short cycle.....which to their credit is longer than the 1 year cycles of some of the bigger companies, who try to convince people that playing something more than a year old puts you at a technology disadvantage 🙄

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cwebb said:

We'll see how long they offer both.  My guess is that the TE+ remains available longer than the TS3, but could be wrong.

Take the PTM for example, which has a very similar profile to the TS3.  They were discontinued after a relatively short cycle.....which to their credit is longer than the 1 year cycles of some of the bigger companies, who try to convince people that playing something more than a year old puts you at a technology disadvantage 🙄

I really wish they’d bring back the PTM. I play a set of PTM Blacks and am terrified of hitting a rock underground and destroying a head like I did with my DBM 7i, because I don’t know where I’ll find another set. The sole grind is so ideal for my swing, and the don’t really have anything like it now. I think my next best bet would maybe be Srixon ZX7 but I really prefer playing Maltby.