2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Maltby TS2

Popeye64

I played my PTM Blacks (Modus 120 S) in Bandon and shot the two best net scores of my recent golf career on my two favorite courses (78 net 67 on Trails and 81 net 70 on Old Mac) despite a pretty gnarly finger injury two days before the trip. Those clubs are incredible. It's also making me realize I might not need the relatively forgiving TS3 set I have, as I prefer the slightly higher COG on the PTM. Will be looking to move the TS3 set soon. Of course my obsessive trading of sets won't end there. Currently looking at TS4 but will wait for a good deal on a used set.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vandyfan said:

Just did some trackman testing with my TS1-IM 7 iron, PW and GW and I am really happy with the results. Consistency of spin was great and the 7 iron is spinning where I want but I thought the PW/GW spin was a little bit low. In any event, I wasn't getting any low spin "hot" shots out of these except for maybe one PW shot that only spun 7830 but I don't think the contact was great on that one.  

image.png.7223cbaf7547f59c5c91b36b2cfc80d4.png

image.png.94e8d5a764c015da0c99c11f7165796e.png

image.png.f69ea74488024b93ef94b4aceee43ff5.png

Those are pretty good spin numbers you are getting there. Very similar to my original TS1 irons. I get slightly more spin on my GW and about 800 less spin on my 7i but that's down to strike right now as I'm over closing the face too much with my longer clubs. I was seeing 6,500-6,700 last winter. Are you using the RCT balls?

43 minutes ago, iamlowsound said:

Are you using the RCT balls?

No, in this instance I was using non-RCT Titleist ProV1x because I was testing it against the Maxfli Tour X. I have RCT balls as well but didn't think that would be a fair comparison. 

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red (S)

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue (S)
Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* - Project X U-Steel 6.0

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW - FST 125 (S)

Ben Hogan Equalizer II 54* - KBS Tour 120S

Ben Hogan Carnoustie 60*  - KBS Tour 120S

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

24 minutes ago, vandyfan said:

No, in this instance I was using non-RCT Titleist ProV1x because I was testing it against the Maxfli Tour X. I have RCT balls as well but didn't think that would be a fair comparison. 

Thoughts on the Maxfli Tour X compared to the ProV1x? I've been using the Maxfli Tour and found it to be a great ball for me that performs just as well as the premium offerings. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, vandyfan said:

That's fair. The RCT aren't needed as much on slower ball speeds. It's the high ball speeds like driver where they really help. Have you tried the -Pro-V1x? I had pretty much decided on the Pro-V1x for this year but the last few Trackman sessions I've been trying the left dash and it seems to perform really good so far, I hit a few GW today that spun at 10,000+ with decent angles over 60°. They were spinning back 2-3 yards from 125 yards on the Trackman range. I still think I'm going to play the Pro-V1x though, they are easier to get in AAAA used condition. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iamlowsound said:

That's fair. The RCT aren't needed as much on slower ball speeds. It's the high ball speeds like driver where they really help. Have you tried the -Pro-V1x? I had pretty much decided on the Pro-V1x for this year but the last few Trackman sessions I've been trying the left dash and it seems to perform really good so far, I hit a few GW today that spun at 10,000+ with decent angles over 60°. They were spinning back 2-3 yards from 125 yards on the Trackman range. I still think I'm going to play the Pro-V1x though, they are easier to get in AAAA used condition. 

I have been using left dash for the past 2+ years with TS-1 irons and Steelfiber 110s.  Driver speed is about 95mph.  No problem at all stopping the ball on the green.  Spin back - no, 6" - 12" from pitch mark - yes.  But the distance difference between the left dash and ProV1x is significant enough for me to go with the left dash.  As a 6hcp, the stopping power is sufficient. By the way the Maxfli Tour X gives me nearly the same performance as the left dash.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, CoupleOfFew said:

Thoughts on the Maxfli Tour X compared to the ProV1x? I've been using the Maxfli Tour and found it to be a great ball for me that performs just as well as the premium offerings. 

I haven't actually played a golf round with it yet but it does the following for me based on Trackman:
- Launches higher/higher peak height off Driver, Irons -- pretty much the same off of wedges
- Spins more off driver (nothing crazy, went from 2400 in the ProV1x to 2650 in the Maxfli Tour X), spins more off irons, about the same in wedges
- Because of the height and spin, might carry *slightly* shorter BUT I am curious to see if I like the extra control on the course. I can get a little low spin for my liking, especially in the irons, so this could help. I am trying to get closer to the whole 7,000 rpm for 7 iron, 8,000 rpm for 8 iron, etc. 

Also, as an edit, I am playing the new Maxfli Tour X ALIGN golf balls with the big alignment aid on them. 

Edited by vandyfan

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

11 hours ago, ELW said:

I have been using left dash for the past 2+ years with TS-1 irons and Steelfiber 110s.  Driver speed is about 95mph.  No problem at all stopping the ball on the green.  Spin back - no, 6" - 12" from pitch mark - yes.  But the distance difference between the left dash and ProV1x is significant enough for me to go with the left dash.  As a 6hcp, the stopping power is sufficient. By the way the Maxfli Tour X gives me nearly the same performance as the left dash.

I need to hit both with driver some more to see if the distance is significant or not. I was pretty easily hitting the left dash 245 total with my three wood the other day. I've mostly been focusing on swing changes this winter but the Pro-V1x has been performing very well as I practice. I was using the AVX for the last year and a bit but I haven't been getting the land angle I need on wedges and short irons for stopping power. The greens at my home course are tiny, hard, and roll at 10-10.5 so you really need to be able to stop the ball. Maybe I'll have to give the Maxfli Tour X a shot, are the covers durable? I can rip through a ball with my wedges real fast. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vandyfan said:

I haven't actually played a golf round with it yet but it does the following for me based on Trackman:
- Launches higher/higher peak height off Driver, Irons -- pretty much the same off of wedges
- Spins more off driver (nothing crazy, went from 2400 in the ProV1x to 2650 in the Maxfli Tour X), spins more off irons, about the same in wedges
- Because of the height and spin, might carry *slightly* shorter BUT I am curious to see if I like the extra control on the course. I can get a little low spin for my liking, especially in the irons, so this could help. I am trying to get closer to the whole 7,000 rpm for 7 iron, 8,000 rpm for 8 iron, etc. 

You really want to be watching the land angle while on Trackman. If you want to stop mid irons that's just as important as spin. You want to be 48°-50° land angle on mid irons, add in low to mid 6k RPM on a seven iron and you'll have plenty of stopping power. Too much spin can cause some ballooning. I was getting a few over 60° land angle with my GW and the -Pro-V1x, that's the ball just falling right out of the air, but could also be a big problem in the wind. Anyway, turn on land angle next time you are on Trackman and see if you are over 50°. 

Apologies if this was asked before, I was unable to locate any posts about it.  Has anyone desired/tried to do a Maltby MOI-balanced or progressive swingweight set (as opposed to swingweight-balanced)?

Just curious if this is outside the realm of what golfworks even can do if purchasing clubpaks.  I'm assuming the easiest method is to state the swingweight of the club at the top end of the pak, and then request 3/8" length difference going up in lofts to the lower end of the pak, which should approximate the .5 swingweight increase per club, and then lead tape can be used to fine tune if needed on the range.

(I know there is FAR more math that goes into it, and have read through some of the MOI forums, but looking for what's possible to do without having to become a master builder to even understand the process and then build my own clubs).

I'm leaning towards a set of TS3s, 6-GW, likely with the TT score shafts.

One of these days I'll call Golfworks to ask the same, and can report back if/when I get a chance to.

Alternately, there's things like https://www.tourlockgolf.com/ which give you a weighting system, I suppose that's an option to alter the swingweight-balanced pak if GolfWorks isn't on board with other kinds of alterations...

Edited by SomewhatJaded
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, iamlowsound said:

You really want to be watching the land angle while on Trackman.

Interestingly enough, pretty much everything (7 iron, PW and GW) were landing around 50* with a maximum land angle of 52*. I have land angle on as well as the trackman reports so I can put any of the metrics in there. My understanding is I typically want at least 45* with a 7 iron. 

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

1 hour ago, vandyfan said:

Interestingly enough, pretty much everything (7 iron, PW and GW) were landing around 50* with a maximum land angle of 52*. I have land angle on as well as the trackman reports so I can put any of the metrics in there. My understanding is I typically want at least 45* with a 7 iron. 

45° is really a minimum if you want the ball to stop quickly. High 40s is better, 50° is pretty ideal. 

Anyone in this thread ever give the KE4 Max Milled putter a try? Looks very interesting. Considering a build with a 3in hosel + the heavy puretrack maltby shaft.

However the putter is not particularly cheap by Maltby standards, $160 for the head alone and about $250 including the hosel+shaft+grip. Can hardly find a single in-hand picture of it let alone any reviews. Maybe the expert himself @Popeye64 can fill me in?

If anyone from golfworks is reading this- I'd totally do a review video on youtube for a discount here, might help move some of these if people could see some in hand shots and a review. Just sayin ;)

Edited by djcalied

5 hours ago, SomewhatJaded said:

Apologies if this was asked before, I was unable to locate any posts about it.  Has anyone desired/tried to do a Maltby MOD-balanced or progressive swingweight set (as opposed to swingweight-balanced)?

Just curious if this is outside the realm of what golfworks even can do if purchasing clubpaks.  I'm assuming the easiest method is to state the swingweight of the club at the top end of the pak, and then request 3/8" length difference going up in lofts to the lower end of the pak, which should approximate the .5 swingweight increase per club, and then lead tape can be used to fine tune if needed on the range.

(I know there is FAR more math that goes into it, and have read through some of the MOI forums, but looking for what's possible to do without having to become a master builder to even understand the process and then build my own clubs).

One of these days I'll call Golfworks to ask the same, and can report back if/when I get a chance to.

Alternately, there's things like https://www.tourlockgolf.com/ which give you a weighting system, I suppose that's an option to alter the swingweight-balanced pak if GolfWorks isn't on board with other kinds of alterations...

I've been building my irons MOI matched for quite a while now.  I use a fancy Excel spreadsheet and plug in weights and lengths to figure it out.  If you want to maintain 1/2" club length difference I think you can go 1.3 to 1.4 swingweight point per inch IIRC.  Dave Tutelman and Wishon had some articles about that years ago.  I think Tutelman used to offer a spreadsheet on his website? 

You can go into detail with the MOI of each component, the balance point of the shaft, etc, but just using  2/3 a SW point per 1/2" or 1/2 a SW point for 3/8" increments is probably plenty close enough.  I think the right total static weight of a club might be the most important thing for most players.  MOI match won't help much if the clubs are too heavy or too light for someone's swing.  

• Thanks 2

On 3/7/2024 at 9:56 AM, SomewhatJaded said:

Apologies if this was asked before, I was unable to locate any posts about it.  Has anyone desired/tried to do a Maltby MOI-balanced or progressive swingweight set (as opposed to swingweight-balanced)?

Here is a website for calculating the swing weights for a MOI matched set. https://www.tutelman.com/golf/design/swingwt4.php

• Thanks 4

Need some shaft advice. I’d like to try the ISO-T driver head. I understand that this may be a shaft specific head. I’ve had good luck with the Maltby reg graphite. My understanding is that this is a low hitting head so I’ll probably go with the 11 degree. 
I do have the TC driver in regular. Any advice on this driver head, and what shaft to play? Thanks all. 
-Bill

6 minutes ago, woodriff said:

Need some shaft advice. I’d like to try the ISO-T driver head. I understand that this may be a shaft specific head. I’ve had good luck with the Maltby reg graphite. My understanding is that this is a low hitting head so I’ll probably go with the 11 degree. 
I do have the TC driver in regular. Any advice on this driver head, and what shaft to play? Thanks all. 
-Bill

Use a shaft that you know you like and fits well.  You're already making a best guess adjustment with the extra loft

• Like 2

Would I be crazy to get the DBM pack with recoil shafts for my spare set at my lake place?  

Under $400 for 4-GW seems like a smoking deal 

Callaway Paradym 10.5* HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway 3HL Paradym X HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway 7w Paradym HZRDUS Silver 5.5

Tour Edge C522 4 and 6 hybrids Fubuki HL 55R

Callaway 6-52* irons Paradym HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway Jaws Raw 58* Catalyst Wedge

Odyssey 11 Triple Track SuperStroke Traxion 2.0 

48 minutes ago, goalie said:

Would I be crazy to get the DBM pack with recoil shafts for my spare set at my lake place?  

Until a few minutes ago I didn't even know that option was available.  Now what am I going to do?

That's a great deal imo.

• Like 1

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

My half-set got delivered today and they look amazing. DBM Forged in 4/6/8/P bent to 8 degree gaps and a TSW DRM at 56. 

I've always had an issue aligning the toe to the hosel of offset irons (my main set are Callaway XRs) and these aligned so easily at address.

Can't wait to get them to the range and have a golf weekend coming up next week... thinking 2 rounds with these and 2 with my main bag to compare.

PXL_20240310_053623739.jpg

PXL_20240310_053643403.jpg

PXL_20240310_053658443.jpg

PXL_20240310_053726789.jpg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Fiddlesticks said:

My half-set got delivered today and they look amazing. DBM Forged in 4/6/8/P bent to 8 degree gaps and a TSW DRM at 56. 

I've always had an issue aligning the toe to the hosel of offset irons (my main set are Callaway XRs) and these aligned so easily at address.

Can't wait to get them to the range and have a golf weekend coming up next week... thinking 2 rounds with these and 2 with my main bag to compare.

PXL_20240310_053623739.jpg

PXL_20240310_053643403.jpg

PXL_20240310_053658443.jpg

PXL_20240310_053726789.jpg

You'll be buying the odds after trying the half set

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

I'm torn now.  I think I might like the sole of the gen 4 version better for a hundred and change more.  

I definitely need some of that sweet black finish in my life.

10 hours ago, goalie said:

I had a chuckle reading your post, it's *so* Minnesota.  😁

• Haha 3

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

42 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

I had a chuckle reading your post, it's *so* Minnesota.  😁

It is, doncha know.  Have some hot dish and get in an evening 9....

18 minutes ago, goalie said:

It is, doncha know.  Have some hot dish and get in an evening 9....

And hit the sauna, ja

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors