2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Maltby TS2

Popeye64

4 minutes ago, Cwebb said:

It wouldn't make sense to go with a rigid face design for your longer irons, with an active face for the shorter irons.

If you were going to combo those, it would be the other way around

@Cwebb I’ve thought about 5-7 TS3 and maybe TS4 or TS1 IM 8-GW, mainly due to the lower VCOG of the TS3.  Should I not be thinking the TS3 would help with launch?  I’m just asking as I don’t want to balloon PW & GW.  

1 minute ago, NCDuffer said:

@Cwebb I’ve thought about 5-7 TS3 and maybe TS4 or TS1 IM 8-GW, mainly due to the lower VCOG of the TS3.  Should I not be thinking the TS3 would help with launch?  I’m just asking as I don’t want to balloon PW & GW.  

Remember that the TS3 have a somewhat progressive design.  This is a quote from their description...

"Three unique progressive cavity designs in the set to position weight more towards the toe and lower in the long irons and centered and slightly higher in the short irons."

So the Pw and Gw have a slightly higher COG than the rest of the set.

Most likely if you love what you're getting out of the 7 iron, then the rest of the set will be a good fit.  If you're still concerned about it, then just order the GW and test it, before committing to the rest of the set

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

I don't think there was a tide to turn, at least with irons.  There's never been a resale issue with Maltby products.  there *has* been a perception problem with respect to resale

Are there many places that accept Maltby as a trade-in? I know you typically get fleeced there but the few places I have checked online don't have an option for Maltby. 

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red (S)

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue (S)
Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* - Project X U-Steel 6.0

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW - FST 125 (S)

Ben Hogan Equalizer II 54* - KBS Tour 120S

Ben Hogan Carnoustie 60*  - KBS Tour 120S

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

20 minutes ago, vandyfan said:

Are there many places that accept Maltby as a trade-in? I know you typically get fleeced there but the few places I have checked online don't have an option for Maltby. 

Not that I've seen.

I think the irons Maltby comes out ahead. Only place it's not worth the savings is the driver. Get last gen or at most two gens old from the big boys for a few hundred and you come out ahead. 

On 2/28/2024 at 9:12 AM, ChaosTheory said:

@ELW

If it was me, no matter what, I’d replace the damaged 8 iron so the set would still have value to someone.

Send a pic to GW, they might warranty it.  

They are out of warranty (2 years) and I got them in January 2021, but ultimatley they offered me a $49.99 credit.

• Like 4

On 2/29/2024 at 11:51 AM, terry55 said:

I have been playing the TS1's for I think more than two years. They show significant wear. I lot of wear. I can't bring myself to replace them yet as I love playing them. I have a complete replacement set ready to step in.

I have a TS1-IM and a TS4 7 iron with the exact shaft, grip and swing weight. For some reason peculiar to me alone I don't like the TS1-IM. I do respect it and have nothing bad to say about it, but the softness doesn't feel to be there. It performs well but I don't like reaching for it. I do, however, adore the TS4. I will spend an afternoon with the TS4 happily.  I get so close to replacing the TS1 with TS4 heads, but I will miss the TS1 and I have another set waiting. I am conflicted.

I do think if the TS1 has a flaw it is the horrible wear on the face. Just ugly faces. (I promise I am getting better on finding the center, but the TS1's cover me up with forgiveness.)

Gap wedge.jpg

My TS-1's look exactly like yours. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

set of 8 Maltby 431 stainless CBs with DG is $472

🤔.....I know pings are not forged BUT I would still be comparing them to the TS forged models as that is what they are up against in the OEM world.  It's a bad comparison as Ping has few forged models.  Regarding the math..... yes, exactly, but you need to run the numbers with the TS models, but it illustrates what I was saying.  Yet the OEM snobs would never admit it!

Edited by ode

4 hours ago, AZstu324 said:

Maltby I love ya to death.. but this statement isn't wrong 😜

Same—I have a set of TS-1 IM's but for driver options I have a few gen old cobra and taylormade heads. Got them for a song when everyone moved on to the latest and greatest and I didn't see much difference in performance from the newest gens.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ode said:

🤔.....I know pings are not forged BUT I would still be comparing them to the TS forged models as that is what they are up against in the OEM world.  It's a bad comparison as Ping has few forged models.  Regarding the math..... yes, exactly, but you need to run the numbers with the TS models, but it illustrates what I was saying.  Yet the OEM snobs would never admit it!

I would think the TS1 would compare to i525 or maybe the i59.  TS3 or TE Forged would be Blueprint S.

All IMHO, of course.  😁

• Haha 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

9 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

I would think the TS1 would compare to i525 or maybe the i59.  TS3 or TE Forged would be Blueprint S.

All IMHO, of course.  😁

The i525/59/Blueprint don't get much love.  The i200/210/current (i230 I think is the latest) hold value exceptionally well!

It's a good discussion and Maltby blows away any other company with the amount of forged offerings!

• Like 1

On 2/27/2024 at 3:15 PM, propman said:

Cleats definitely make a difference. Another rec, inform the fitter, you don't want any info about the brand of the head, shaft etc. until the fitting is completed. Once the fitting is completed, have the fitter email the complete specs ie shaft, clubhead, length, lie and lift of the club you hit best.

Have fun and stay loos e during the fitting. Don't rush thru the swings, pace your self. 

Well, I  had my fitting this morning.   I really didnt know what to expect, since this is my first time doing anything like this.   We only used 50 minutes of the time, since, we ran out of head/shaft combo's to try.     He paired me with the Wilson Dynapower with UST Recoil Dart 65 shaft, A flex.    My swing was kind of all over the place, but when I struck it good, it was basically 20 yards longer than my current Top Flite set.   The Mizuno Hot Metal felt good too.   I didn't get the email, with my data yet.   

I am looking at Golfworks website for the MPF rating, and Dynapower comes to 498 MPF - Conventional.    Can that be right?   He was trying to go low center of gravity for me.   IDK.   

Well, which Maltby head would be comparable to it?   

47 minutes ago, KimL72 said:

Well, I  had my fitting this morning.   I really didnt know what to expect, since this is my first time doing anything like this.   We only used 50 minutes of the time, since, we ran out of head/shaft combo's to try.     He paired me with the Wilson Dynapower with UST Recoil Dart 65 shaft, A flex.    My swing was kind of all over the place, but when I struck it good, it was basically 20 yards longer than my current Top Flite set.   The Mizuno Hot Metal felt good too.   I didn't get the email, with my data yet.   

I am looking at Golfworks website for the MPF rating, and Dynapower comes to 498 MPF - Conventional.    Can that be right?   He was trying to go low center of gravity for me.   IDK.   

If you look at various brands, MPF is all over the place. One Ping is less than 200. I do not know the ins and outs of how MPF is measured. Lots of excellent Maltby heads.

Edited by ahenderX
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, KimL72 said:

The Wilson iron is not low vertical CG. In the 6-iron it is 0.844" which is slightly higher than the mid-point on a golf ball. The Mizuno Hot Metal is reasonably low CG at 0.762". KE4 Max, TS4, and STI2 are comparable. TE+ V4 and TS3 would be a good bit lower CG.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThinkingPlus said:

The Wilson iron is not low vertical CG. In the 6-iron it is 0.844" which is slightly higher than the mid-point on a golf ball. The Mizuno Hot Metal is reasonably low CG at 0.762". KE4 Max, TS4, and STI2 are comparable. TE+ V4 and TS3 would be a good bit lower CG.

I may have misunderstood him with the low CG, he could have said higher CG.     He was giving me a lot of information, and seemed a little annoyed that I wasn't purchasing anything that day.    

I probably couldn't go wrong with the KE4 Max or STi2.   I saw pics of the TE+ V4 that were very nice.   

9 minutes ago, KimL72 said:

I may have misunderstood him with the low CG, he could have said higher CG.     He was giving me a lot of information, and seemed a little annoyed that I wasn't purchasing anything that day.    

I probably couldn't go wrong with the KE4 Max or STi2.   I saw pics of the TE+ V4 that were very nice.   

If you don't mind, curious what distances you got from your well struck shots. Also, confirm loft of clubhead.

15 hcp

10 minutes ago, propman said:

If you don't mind, curious what distances you got from your well struck shots. Also, confirm loft of clubhead.

we used 7 iron's for the test, not sure of lofts on them.   New irons were 20 yards longer than my Top Flites.    Embarrassed to give the yardages.   It was a humble experience.   

26 minutes ago, KimL72 said:

leaning hard towards the KE4 Max Iron Pak, with MPF graphite, A flex.   $389.99 is a good deal.   the WIlson's were $771.42 plus more with tax 6 iron through GW.   That's a little steep for my newbie self.  

That shaft they spec'd for me is $50 each

Be aware of the MPF graphite, it is stout!  There are other choices around the same price point that might work better. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

1 hour ago, propman said:

Here is a softer shaft and a little less $$ than the mpf shaft 

https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-m890-grapihite-ironhybrid-shafts/p/ma0312/

1 hour ago, bekgolf said:

Be aware of the MPF graphite, it is stout!  There are other choices around the same price point that might work better. 

@bekgolfthanks for reminding me about the MPF shafts!   totally forgot about that, and I have read it several times in this thread.   darn, my mind is already starting to go on me.  lol!

@propman  Thanks for the shaft recommendation.   I dove a little deeper in their website and I saw the Aldila NV Graphite Iron Shafts that have A flex with 65 grams.   Those may be the ticket!    I will contact golf works and confirm choices along with the m890 you recommended. 

Thanks to all of you for helping me on this journey.  😊

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, KimL72 said:

@bekgolfthanks for reminding me about the MPF shafts!   totally forgot about that, and I have read it several times in this thread.   darn, my mind is already starting to go on me.  lol!

@propman  Thanks for the shaft recommendation.   I dove a little deeper in their website and I saw the Aldila NV Graphite Iron Shafts that have A flex with 65 grams.   Those may be the ticket!    I will contact golf works and confirm choices along with the m890 you recommended. 

Thanks to allelping me on this journey.  😊

If the looks don't bother you, you might consider this set. Already had the MPF shafts and comes with the 4/5 hybrid which sounds like they might fit you better at thos junction.

https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-m890-combo-pak-maltby-m890-lt/p/pma0321cs/

• Like 3

3 hours ago, KimL72 said:

leaning hard towards the KE4 Max Iron Pak, with MPF graphite, A flex.   $389.99 is a good deal.   the WIlson's were $771.42 plus more with tax 6 iron through GW.   That's a little steep for my newbie self.  

That shaft they spec'd for me is $50 each

You might consider the pak with the Rapport shafts.  From reading in the Maltby forum, they have a similar profile to the Dart.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, propman said:

Don't be embarrassed, everyone started the same way.

Suggestion, don't bother getting the 4 iron. It's a difficult club to hit for even midcappers like me. Given how strong the lofts are on the ke4max, don't even bother getting the 5 iron. 

Call Mark Masters with the specs and order the 6 thru gap wedge. They will pro rate the price of the clubpak given the fact you are ordering 6 clubs vs 8 clubs. 

Full disclosure, I have the 6 thru pw in the KE4 Max 

I hit hybrids in lieu of the 4 and 5 irons. I'm an aging 15 capper.

Great advice!!!   I would recommend the A flex in the M890 shaft.   I have had excellent results with it.    

• Thanks 1

On 2/5/2024 at 2:23 PM, Mako J said:

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery….so a special thanks to @Paintmanfor the inspiration!

IMG_2710.jpeg

Meant to ask about this as I'm thinking about doing something similar. What shaft did you use for that and did you have to widen the inside diameter of the shaft or grind down the post to get it to fit correctly?

16 hours ago, KimL72 said:

16 hours ago, ahenderX said:

If you look at various brands, MPF is all over the place. One Ping is less than 200. I do not know the ins and outs of how MPF is measured. Lots of excellent Maltby heads.

MPF final score is little more than the C-Dimension minus the Actual vertical center of gravity.  They have a couple small modifiers for MOI, and add a penalty for having a CG that's above the center of a golf ball (0.84"). 

The penalty to the score is scaled, it gets larger the farther above 0.840" you go.  Which is how  you get some rather forgiving Ping designs with low MPF scores; the cg is on the high side.  That can be difficult for some golfers to get on the ball, for solid contact.

Kim, others have given you great advice so far, but I'll add my own comment anyway LOL

The Wilson DynaPwr clubhead is actually pretty forgiving, its MPF is lower because the CG is a bit on the high side (possibly lowest of Wilson's current products).  The two most forgiving Maltby iron designs are the (in order) M890 and KE4 Max.  Both of these have a cg a fair amount lower than the DynaPwr clubhead, though the pure forgiveness measurement (MOI) is a bit better for the Wilson.

For a truly low CG in a Maltby clubhead, the TS3 or the TE+ Forged are the current products, with the TE Forged being the lowest.  The TE Forged is the design that's the previous generation of what is now the TE+ Forged; its lofts are a little weaker, if you compare club number to club number.

Sorry for making this a little long.  🙂

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors