2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Maltby TS2

Popeye64

7 hours ago, Colej said:

Shaft change might get you 300-400 rpm. Likely your strike location, loft, or COG of the head doesn’t suit you. 

In my experience, different shafts certainly but one of the most overlooked aspect on spin is hitting different balls. Especially range balls and worn out simulator balls at public simulators (worn down dimples). Not to mention the difference in feel when comparing pinnacle range balls to a premium ball you play on the course. 

• Like 1

Long thread so sorry if this has been answered and I missed it. Just concaved the face of my TS1, 8 iron. They are about 3 years old and pretty worn so going to build full new set. TS1s still avaialble for $40, or TS1 IM for $60? Seems from everything I have read they are similar in performance and if so for me it will come down to feel. The TS1, 6-9 are the softest feeling  irons I have played. Even slightly more than my Titleist T100s. The PW and Gap are a bit stiffer and I assume because they are not hollow body. Looks like the TS1 IM are all hollow body, but different face material -2.0mm 1025 carbon vs 2.1 mm MS300 maraging. Anyone hit both and can you compare them particularly their softness? I have to do something soon, I have no 8 iron!!!!

3 hours ago, Mako J said:

Wanted to share in case it helps anyone else who is considering a combo set of TE+ and TS4. 

IMO they blend beautifully to the eye. See the transition from the 7 (TE+) to 8 (TS4) below. 

I’m pairing these with Recoil Proto 125 F4s. Hopefully the “jump” in c.o.g. (.706 to .761) isn’t too much.

IMG_2718.jpeg

IMG_2717.jpeg

IMG_2722.jpeg

IMG_2721.jpeg

IMG_2719.jpeg

How long are the grooves on the TS4 vs the TE?  Looks quite a bit different, but could be an illusion. 

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

29 minutes ago, Mako J said:

TS4 = 2 1/16”

TE+ = 2 1/8”

1/16” difference 

Illusion.  I'm sensitive to this since the DBM and TS3 look quite different in this regard.  The TS3 has a lot more toe area that is ungrooved vs the DBM.  I'm not blending them, but I do notice when I switch between the sets.  Takes a little adjustment period.

• Like 1

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

On 2/23/2024 at 4:19 PM, propman said:

Just bring your own 6 and 7 iron along with a golf glove and your spikes and water (it's a workout). Pace yourself as swinging while fatigued won't do you any good.

If possible, get a couple of practice sessions in bf the fitting.

Have fun and let us know how it went.

Thanks for the tips!  I recently picked up a pair of golf cleats.   For the first two years I just wore old sneakers, trying to keep my cost down to see if I really was into it.    This third year I wanted to start it out right.   Wore the new cleats outside and took some swings to get ready for my fitting, and darn it, the shoes make a difference!     

• Like 3

Cleats definitely make a difference. Another rec, inform the fitter, you don't want any info about the brand of the head, shaft etc. until the fitting is completed. Once the fitting is completed, have the fitter email the complete specs ie shaft, clubhead, length, lie and lift of the club you hit best.

Have fun and stay loos e during the fitting. Don't rush thru the swings, pace your self. 

• Thanks 1

15 hcp

4 hours ago, KimL72 said:

Thanks for the tips!  I recently picked up a pair of golf cleats.   For the first two years I just wore old sneakers, trying to keep my cost down to see if I really was into it.    This third year I wanted to start it out right.   Wore the new cleats outside and took some swings to get ready for my fitting, and darn it, the shoes make a difference!     

15 hcp

On 2/24/2024 at 7:53 PM, ELW said:

Long thread so sorry if this has been answered and I missed it. Just concaved the face of my TS1, 8 iron. They are about 3 years old and pretty worn so going to build full new set. TS1s still avaialble for $40, or TS1 IM for $60? Seems from everything I have read they are similar in performance and if so for me it will come down to feel. The TS1, 6-9 are the softest feeling  irons I have played. Even slightly more than my Titleist T100s. The PW and Gap are a bit stiffer and I assume because they are not hollow body. Looks like the TS1 IM are all hollow body, but different face material -2.0mm 1025 carbon vs 2.1 mm MS300 maraging. Anyone hit both and can you compare them particularly their softness? I have to do something soon, I have no 8 iron!!!!

Still playing the ts-1s. Never hit the IMs but they look great. You could just buy a single 8 iron replacement if you don’t want to buy a whole new set. 

On 2/24/2024 at 7:50 AM, ChaosTheory said:

What’s the spinniest recent Maltby iron?

From what I have heard the TS3, but I have not hit it myself. 

• Like 1

Driver: SIM 9*, Ventus 6R
FWs: Maltby ke4 ist 17*, kura kage silver 65 R; ke4 ist pro 20*, Maltby fw shaft

4H: Srixon ZX, Evenflow Riptide 80 5.5

Irons: Golfworks TS2, 5i Recoil F3; 6i-GW , Nippon 950GH reg (all + 1/2”)
Wedges: Golfworks TSW 52 & 58
Putter: Odyssey versa 12
Ball: Maxfli tour x

On 2/27/2024 at 11:01 PM, NotoM said:

Still playing the ts-1s. Never hit the IMs but they look great. You could just buy a single 8 iron replacement if you don’t want to buy a whole new set. 

I assume they are down to $40 because they are clearing out the inventory. The risk of buying one club is you won't get the others soon. To me, the TS1, the TS1-IM and the TS4 all feel different.  The TS1-IM is not a direct replacement for the TS-1, it is a different club. 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2024 at 8:53 PM, ELW said:

I have been playing the TS1's for I think more than two years. They show significant wear. I lot of wear. I can't bring myself to replace them yet as I love playing them. I have a complete replacement set ready to step in.

I have a TS1-IM and a TS4 7 iron with the exact shaft, grip and swing weight. For some reason peculiar to me alone I don't like the TS1-IM. I do respect it and have nothing bad to say about it, but the softness doesn't feel to be there. It performs well but I don't like reaching for it. I do, however, adore the TS4. I will spend an afternoon with the TS4 happily.  I get so close to replacing the TS1 with TS4 heads, but I will miss the TS1 and I have another set waiting. I am conflicted.

I do think if the TS1 has a flaw it is the horrible wear on the face. Just ugly faces. (I promise I am getting better on finding the center, but the TS1's cover me up with forgiveness.)

Gap wedge.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, terry55 said:

I have been playing the TS1's for I think more than two years. They show significant wear. I lot of wear. I can't bring myself to replace them yet as I love playing them. I have a complete replacement set ready to step in.

I have a TS1-IM and a TS4 7 iron with the exact shaft, grip and swing weight. For some reason peculiar to me alone I don't like the TS1-IM. I do respect it and have nothing bad to say about it, but the softness doesn't feel to be there. It performs well but I don't like reaching for it. I do, however, adore the TS4. I will spend an afternoon with the TS4 happily.  I get so close to replacing the TS1 with TS4 heads, but I will miss the TS1 and I have another set waiting. I am conflicted.

I do think if the TS1 has a flaw it is the horrible wear on the face. Just ugly faces. (I promise I am getting better on finding the center, but the TS1's cover me up with forgiveness.)

Gap wedge.jpg

Don't be ashamed of that wear pattern! 98% of golfers wish they could get a wear pattern like that. Do you play a lot of really sandy courses? The faces of my TS1 don't look close to that and I play twice a week and hit the range 3-4 times a week from April through October. I've had them for two and a half years now. 

6 hours ago, terry55 said:

Gap wedge.jpg

Thing to remember about the TS1 is that they have carbon steel clubfaces.  They'll be subject to wear more than 431 or 17-4 stainless, or the carpenter steel used for the TS1-IM.

• Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

1 hour ago, OldBay said:

Thinking about potentially doing a combo set with the TS3 and IM. Say 5-7 TS3 and 8-GW IM...is this a crazy/stupid idea? I have a TS3 7i already and love it, but I absolutely love the look of the IM. Otherwise I'd just go the full set of TS3.

If you like the TS3 7 iron, I'd just go full TS3.  I have TS3 in 5 thru 9 and they're solid.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

Let’s talk resale value.  I think the tide has turned in favor of Maltby.  Big name irons are now costing well over $1000 and sometimes $1300-1500.  The one year loss on one of those sets is more than the new cost of an equivalent set from GW.  And the used GW set is never going down to zero.

Of course you can buy last year’s big name irons rather than this year’s, and that improves the math for the big guys.  But still, resale value is no reason to avoid Maltby irons.

• Like 1

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

2 hours ago, ChaosTheory said:

Let’s talk resale value.  I think the tide has turned in favor of Maltby.  Big name irons are now costing well over $1000 and sometimes $1300-1500.  The one year loss on one of those sets is more than the new cost of an equivalent set from GW.  And the used GW set is never going down to zero.

Of course you can buy last year’s big name irons rather than this year’s, and that improves the math for the big guys.  But still, resale value is no reason to avoid Maltby irons.

Agreed but it also might be dependent on the components used......if using TT Score shafts or Maltby MPF Pro graphite vs. an OEM stock (KBS Tour, DG, or whatever the graphite option).  Most OEMs now have a decent enough list of no upcharge steel shaft options that will work.  Once you factor in those shafts, grips with the Maltby build, it's right back to the resale issue.  IMO that will never go away.  👈being said I'll always consider components first as I build myself to my specs.  If considering resale on the %lost vs. net loss then OEMs will win almost every time, but if looking at net loss then it's more of a fight.  I'm mostly component with irons/wedges and OEM on most everything else, but with my own special touches.  Prices are high on everything now (consuming golf in any way), so if I can I'm in the used market for even components. 

• Like 3

I've been considering TS3 and TS1 IM since they dropped last year. Finally went to buy the TS1 IM pak this week and they aren't available. For those wondering, TS1 IM club paks won't be back in stock until late May or early June.

Decisions, decisions...for those who've played both, should I hold out for the IM's or pull the trigger on TS3's?

• Sad 2

6 minutes ago, MSchu said:

I've been considering TS3 and TS1 IM since they dropped last year. Finally went to buy the TS1 IM pak this week and they aren't available. For those wondering, TS1 IM club paks won't be back in stock until late May or early June.

Decisions, decisions...for those who've played both, should I hold out for the IM's or pull the trigger on TS3's?

Wow. Gotta be a result of Stu’s work with the youtuber right?

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Mako J said:

Wow. Gotta be a result of Stu’s work with the youtuber right?

Must be — the only clubs they're out of are the 7 iron and GW. So clearly lot of people are just dipping a toe in the water.

But JimY posted that they're expecting more heads in stock next week.

Edited by Cameron Circle T
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ChaosTheory said:

1 hour ago, ode said:

Agreed but it also might be dependent on the components used......if using TT Score shafts or Maltby MPF Pro graphite vs. an OEM stock (KBS Tour, DG, or whatever the graphite option).  Most OEMs now have a decent enough list of no upcharge steel shaft options that will work.  Once you factor in those shafts, grips with the Maltby build, it's right back to the resale issue.  IMO that will never go away.  👈being said I'll always consider components first as I build myself to my specs.  If considering resale on the %lost vs. net loss then OEMs will win almost every time, but if looking at net loss then it's more of a fight.  I'm mostly component with irons/wedges and OEM on most everything else, but with my own special touches.  Prices are high on everything now (consuming golf in any way), so if I can I'm in the used market for even components. 

Honestly, I don't think there was a tide to turn, at least with irons.  There's never been a resale issue with Maltby products.  there *has* been a perception problem with respect to resale, because so many look to a percentage based view of the loss in any such sale.  In pure dollar terms, it's nearly always been in favor of any component.

A set of 8 i230 (cast stainless) clubs with DG is $1500.  A set of 8 Maltby 431 stainless CBs with DG is $472.  I don't see the dollar loss being anywhere close between the two...

• Like 3

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

1 hour ago, NRJyzr said:

A set of 8 i230 (cast stainless) clubs with DG is $1500.  A set of 8 Maltby 431 stainless CBs with DG is $472.  I don't see the dollar loss being anywhere close between the two...

Exactly.  If you lose 1/3 on the OEM set, you lose $500.  If you give the Maltby's away, you are still ahead by $28.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, OldBay said:

Thinking about potentially doing a combo set with the TS3 and IM. Say 5-7 TS3 and 8-GW IM...is this a crazy/stupid idea? I have a TS3 7i already and love it, but I absolutely love the look of the IM. Otherwise I'd just go the full set of TS3.

It wouldn't make sense to go with a rigid face design for your longer irons, with an active face for the shorter irons.

If you were going to combo those, it would be the other way around