Maltby TS2

Popeye64

21 hours ago, PPhil said:

@AZstu324 thanks man golfworks is unbelievable 

@ghostrunner33

just a bit of toe hang, but close to face balanced. Photo is best I could achieve…. 

im a pendulum putter straight back and thru and I love the feel of this thing.  

I gamed the smaller one (from a pak) last year (below)   Sunk more 4 to 10 foot putts than I’ve made in my entire life.  And the lag putts from distance were insane.  End of the year I had a 70 ft uphill putt that I would have been happy to land inside ten feet…… rolled to a tap in two footer.  The moment series is a keeper for me and is why i built #dorothy (and yes that’s a wizard of oz reference) 

Significant inspiration for the build credit to rickie (and his caddy) and Wyndham.  

I did build it at 79 degrees and threw 75 g super stroke weight in the top of the grip but holy buckets Batman, smooth.  Could play it as is, but with weight Rolls like a dream.  I really like the grip (hold it closer to the middle/bottom and the black shaft/black 3.5” hosel looks even better in person

At first My buddies asked “where do the laser beams comes out of your space ship putter?” On the first hole.   Then I start mean mugging balls into the hole (literally charging at them after I hit them because I’m that confident the putt is going to drop.  and the moment X has the last laugh.  Cheers! Cmon spring!! 

IMG_1552.jpeg

image.jpg

great minds think alike. I am about to do the same build but i think i'm going to use the Moment Tour, as the X is a tad too big for my eye

Driver: SIM 9*, Ventus 6R
FWs: Maltby ke4 ist 17*, kura kage silver 65 R; ke4 ist pro 20*, Maltby fw shaft

4H: Srixon ZX, Evenflow Riptide 80 5.5

Irons: Golfworks TS2, 5i Recoil F3; 6i-GW , Nippon 950GH reg (all + 1/2”)
Wedges: Golfworks TSW 52 & 58
Putter: Odyssey versa 12
Ball: Maxfli tour x

I have now had the chance to hit the TS1-IM and TE V4, and my TS2 are still the winner. Don't get me wrong - all are tremendous irons. I'd be happy to play any. But I have the TS2 and know them. No need to change.  I was toying with the idea, then went out and shot 74 in rough conditions with great iron play. Including a toed 6 iron that punished me maybe a few yards but on my line and ended up just fine

Comparing them, the TS1-IM had the softest feel, and the TE V4 def seem to hit it higher with less effort, but the diff's were not significant in my hands.

Hope this helps.

PS - I am happy to share the demo heads of the TE V4 and TS1 IM if you promise to return them

• Like 3

FWs: Maltby ke4 ist 17*, kura kage silver 65 R; ke4 ist pro 20*, Maltby fw shaft

Just a little update on my KE4 hybrids.  Firstly, this is the first time I’ve kept hybrids in my bag for an extended period.  First one I built was the #3 last summer with the MPF Pro hybrid shaft and then built the #4 in the fall.  Absolutely loved them and the only “negative” would be that I wanted touch more height on them.  The Maltby MPF is a great hybrid shaft but plays stiffer than wanted especially in the tip.  Would be great in a driving iron and I love the MPF Pro driver shaft. I actually have the Pro 3W coming with the Pro fairway shaft.

So I dropped in some White Ties from eBay and these are perfect now.  Slightly more height but no ballooning and they feel amazing with just the right amount of kick.  I feel like these hybrid heads don’t get enough recognition.  

IMG_4363.jpeg

IMG_0063.jpeg

IMG_4367.jpeg

• Like 3

Maltby KE4 TC Max UST V2 HL Stiff
Callaway Rogue 3W Synergy 60

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 19*, 22* Matrix HX3 White Tie
Taylormade Burner TP Japan Issue 5-PW C-Taper Lite Stiff

Titleist SM7 52*/S, 58*/D DG120 Stiff
<Searching>

Can anyone speak to how the TSW forged wedges compare to OEM wedges?

I play a mix of SM4 Vokey and Taylormade MG1 wedges and I have no complaints but they are very worn and I'm ready for something new. I'm also building a set of irons with slightly stronger lofts so may need to do something besides 52/56/60 but that is not a priority right now.

Specific questions I have:

What Vokey grind is most similar to the TSW?

How does the offset compare?

Is the leading edge too sharp (does it dig)?

How is the feel and sound compared to older Vokeys? I dislike how clicky new Vokeys are.

Thank you!

On 2/13/2024 at 11:44 AM, mstuewe said:

First official round of testing is complete.  I hit at least 7 good shots with each club and eliminated anything with a ball speed less than 125 (122 for the TS4 since the loft is higher) and anything more than 20' left of target, which is my pull hook miss.  My current gamer is the TS3 with the LA golf shaft.  I've already done enough comparisons to go with MMT's instead of the LA Golf's, but included it anyway for reference.  I am going to do at least 2 more rounds of testing this week before making a decision.

Iron Test 20240213.JPG

Round 2 of testing.  Not sure what to think still.  The spin rates were much tighter this time around, but still followed the same pattern as the first round.  

IronTesting20240220.png.345bbfbf419887aa139d004a37ef014c.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mgoblue83 said:

I play a mix of SM4 Vokey and Taylormade MG1 wedges and I have no complaints but they are very worn and I'm ready for something new. I'm also building a set of irons with slightly stronger lofts so may need to do something besides 52/56/60 but that is not a priority right now.

How is the feel and sound compared to older Vokeys? I dislike how clicky new Vokeys are.

Thank you!

I tried the 56 and I did find it to dig just a little too much for my liking but I normally play Callaway W grind so I think anything might dig compared to those. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mgoblue83 said:

Thank you!

I play the tsw wedges, and I love them. A tad lighter than the max and prior wedges. Every bit as good as Cleveland or Vokey or anything else. The only issue Ive had is tight lies with the 58, but that is a me problem 

2 minutes ago, Nat said:

I play the tsw wedges, and I love them. A tad lighter than the max and prior wedges. Every bit as good as Cleveland or Vokey or anything else. The only issue Ive had is tight lies with the 58, but that is a me problem 

I'm sure they are good but do you know the answers to any of my questions? (Not trying to be a jerk, thank you for replying!)

1 hour ago, mstuewe said:

Round 2 of testing.  Not sure what to think still.  The spin rates were much tighter this time around, but still followed the same pattern as the first round.  

At this rate they're all so close I'd just take the vanity route. Which ones look and feel the best? 

Your stats look very similar to mine with the TS4. Personally, I'd trade a little bit of cary distance for disbursement and stopping power. 170+ yd 7i is plenty for anyone. If I step on the gas, I can easily squeeze 185+ out because they're just that versatile and easy to control . 

Just now, mgoblue83 said:

I'm sure they are good but do you know the answers to any of my questions? (Not trying to be a jerk, thank you for replying!)

Sorry

not sure re grind

similar offset 

does not dig

Feel is solid. Maybe not as solid as 588s. It’s hard to compare sound in wedges, but these are not clicky 

7 minutes ago, mgoblue83 said:

I would guess it's most similar to the M grind? It's good for straight-on full shots but lends well to opening up the face a decent amount around the green. I used a 56° and found it was so dang versatile that I didn't even need a 60°. Just open the face a hair and there's the 60°. 

It's got a slightly rounded leading edge and offset is very minimal but does vary depending on what loft and bounce you opt for. It's also slightly more compact than other wedges I've used but the shape is probably one of my favorite from any wedge in recent years. Unfortunately I don't have any experience with Vokeys in person though so I can't compare the feel and sound between the 2. The feel of the TSW isn't butter soft but it's not clicky either. Just solid and rewarding. It's a feel club so you definitely don't want it dampened too much. 

Spin and control are as good as anything I've used. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mgoblue83 said:

Not trying to be  a jerk--  I believe the only one to answer those questions would be you.   Order one-- get it built in a pak and compare.

FWIW-  I play them.  I like them.   I have not played Vokey.  Cannot compare.   I did compare them to my son's cleveland RTX 4.  Mine are 54-58.   His are 54-60.      TSW- lighter- sharper leading edge.. marginal but yes.   Feel-- subjective.  I would not say the Cleveland are any better feeling.  

I hope that helps-- but probably won't.  

6 hours ago, AZstu324 said:

At this rate they're all so close I'd just take the vanity route. Which ones look and feel the best? 

Your stats look very similar to mine with the TS4. Personally, I'd trade a little bit of cary distance for disbursement and stopping power. 170+ yd 7i is plenty for anyone. If I step on the gas, I can easily squeeze 185+ out because they're just that versatile and easy to control . 

that’s the thing, I’m not seeing tighter dispersion with the TS4.  I’ll do my next round of testing on track man to get more stats.

10 hours ago, AZstu324 said:

I would guess it's most similar to the M grind? It's good for straight-on full shots but lends well to opening up the face a decent amount around the green. I used a 56° and found it was so dang versatile that I didn't even need a 60°. Just open the face a hair and there's the 60°. 

It's got a slightly rounded leading edge and offset is very minimal but does vary depending on what loft and bounce you opt for. It's also slightly more compact than other wedges I've used but the shape is probably one of my favorite from any wedge in recent years. Unfortunately I don't have any experience with Vokeys in person though so I can't compare the feel and sound between the 2. The feel of the TSW isn't butter soft but it's not clicky either. Just solid and rewarding. It's a feel club so you definitely don't want it dampened too much. 

Spin and control are as good as anything I've used. 

I haven't had a chance to play much with mine, but I'd agree with this assessment.  I haven't played a Vokey in years; been playing Callaway for about 8 years now and Wishon before that.  I've liked other Maltby wedges, but not enough to game them long.  The TSW is a big improvement IMO.  A bit smaller than the Cally's and maybe firmer feeling.  The 56 and 60 are probably too versatile for my game lol.  The leading edge is sharper than other wedges I've used so if you're a straight face player that gets steep they may not be suitable.  I struggle a bit with the 52 as I tend to get steep with that club.  In the end I may only bag the 56 because I need more bounce and/or a blunted leading edge for the 52 and I do a bit better with a wider sole low bounce 60 from my clubs bunkers.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mstuewe said:

Thanks for the info…only surprise for me is the spin numbers for the TE+. The original TE/DBM irons spun a lot more for me, even when I made the DBM +1 strong loft wise. Now you’ve got me thinking the new TE+ may work for me…I really liked the look of the DBM irons.

• Driver - Ping G430 SFT 10.5 Graphite Design VR 5 R1
  • Wood - Taylormade Sim TI 5 wood 19* @ 18* Diamana 65R
  • Wood - Callaway Epic Speed 7 wood 21* HZRDUS 60-5.5
  • Hybrid - Ping G430 22* R 
  • Iron - Srixon U85 23* @ 24* UST Recoil 95 f3
  • Irons - Ping i210 6-PW UST Recoil 95 f3 
  • Wedge - Ping Glide 2.0 52* @51* AWT 
  • Wedge - Callaway  MD3 Milled 56/10 TT Elevate MPH 95 R
  • Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Bird 34” 
  • Ball - Maxfli Tour 

2 hours ago, Sparty4202 said:

Thanks for the info…only surprise for me is the spin numbers for the TE+. The original TE/DBM irons spun a lot more for me, even when I made the DBM +1 strong loft wise. Now you’ve got me thinking the new TE+ may work for me…I really liked the look of the DBM irons.

The TE+ does have a slightly higher AVCOG at .706"....vs .675" for the TE/DBM.

Could be enough to produce a difference for some

On 1/27/2024 at 5:38 PM, SE Gamer said:

Thanks! I think you'll be happy with the ST Pro. Although I would have been curious to see what you thought about the IM with just the stock TT Score shaft. It's actually a great shaft. And while the dispersion was solid with all 4 clubs in my testing, the tightest of the bunch were the Maltby's with the TT Score shafts.

Before gaming the ST Pro with the Rifle TF shafts, I'd played DG shafts for as long as I can remember. If I were to move forward with selling off my ST Pros in favor of the TS1-IM, I'd have zero hesitation in going with the stock TT Score shaft. Similar to the Maltby heads, I don't know if there's a better value than those TT Score shafts. 

Did you end up selling off your ST Pro and switching to the IM’s?

I like the ST Pro’s except two things:

1. Topline - The head size to topline ratio feels a little off. Like the topline should be thinner or the head should be a bit bigger heel to toe. 

2. Feel - They feel clicky and a lot more harsh than my old Srixon’s.

What you said about the IM’s got me thinking and makes me wonder if I might enjoy those more.

Callaway Paradym TD 10.5*

Callaway Paradym TD 15*

Callaway Apex UW 21*

Srixon ZX 4H

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4, 6-P

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 46, 54, 60

Cobra King Agera

On 2/21/2024 at 9:00 AM, KCEE said:

I haven't had a chance to play much with mine, but I'd agree with this assessment.  I haven't played a Vokey in years; been playing Callaway for about 8 years now and Wishon before that.  I've liked other Maltby wedges, but not enough to game them long.  The TSW is a big improvement IMO.  A bit smaller than the Cally's and maybe firmer feeling.  The 56 and 60 are probably too versatile for my game lol.  The leading edge is sharper than other wedges I've used so if you're a straight face player that gets steep they may not be suitable.  I struggle a bit with the 52 as I tend to get steep with that club.  In the end I may only bag the 56 because I need more bounce and/or a blunted leading edge for the 52 and I do a bit better with a wider sole low bounce 60 from my clubs bunkers.

On 2/20/2024 at 10:06 PM, mgoblue83 said:

I don't know Vokey grinds well, but I suspect the "Standard" M grind as mentioned above.  

I have played with a buddy's SM9 and they are visually very similar.   I don't feel any offset difference. 

I play a 54/58 combo on the TSW.   I did learn something interesting, that there were originally only three lofts (50/54/58), and the others (52/56/60) are just adjusted 2deg.   That's why the 52/56/60 have more bounce.   For me, the 58 is probably too little bounce.  I'm money with the 54 and use it for almost everything, but tend to dig/duff the 58.   Actually thinking about bending it to 60 and trying that this year, since I don't really use it much right now regardless. 

The one thing I know from feel is that vokeys seem to have higher "stock" swing weight, comparing off the shelf SMx to a Pak TSW.   You can obviously get whatever you want, but if you like a heavier wedge you'll need to add a heavier shaft and/or tip weights for the TSW.   Also, if you get the DRM finish i hear those are bit clicky.  

• Thanks 1

On 2/21/2024 at 8:19 AM, Sparty4202 said:

Fwiw I demo’d a te v4 as well as the ts1-IM and my current set ts2. I’m not replacing the ts2, but if I did it’d be the te v4. Easy to launch but not spinny at all. And unparalleled feel

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Greenmr003 said:

Initial thoughts on the KE4 TC IST Pro  fairway wood:

Picked up a 5 wood this week and got a chance to take it to the range the first time.   

Really really nice club.    I like the head shape, size, and finish.   Sound was a bit different than what I was used to, older ping G20 3w had more of a high pitched "ting", the new one is more of a lower sounding "crack".   Not off-putting, just different.   

No measured data yet, but it looked and felt like I was getting great results from the club.   I was ideally looking for a 4w, so I assembled the 5w with .5" longer shaft and turned the loft down a bit.  I'll likely play with settings once i can get to a launch monitor, but I suspect I'll find a good combination that fit my target distance.  throw out the first 5 or so shots where I was just swinging to get feel, and afterwards I felt I could deliver the club well and confidently.  

If you are on the fence or thinking about one, I'd say Maltby has another good product on their hands. 

I have an ist 5 wood on the way with this exact idea in mind. I also have a 3 . Haven’t hit it yet we’ll see and I’ll post 

KE4 TC Pro arrived today with MPF Pro fairway.  Drying now and hopefully I’ll get out soon with it.  We are expecting a little bit of a cold spell this weekend in the DC area but it will be in the 60’s next week.

The Rogue has been in my bad for about 3 years now and I absolutely love it.  Great off the tee, easy off the deck and LONG.  So the Maltby will have to work to beat it out but I’m hoping the adjustability will give me some different fligh options (like a 13* with it turned down).

IMG_4407.jpeg

IMG_4408.jpeg

• Like 4

Maltby KE4 TC Max UST V2 HL Stiff
Callaway Rogue 3W Synergy 60

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 19*, 22* Matrix HX3 White Tie
Taylormade Burner TP Japan Issue 5-PW C-Taper Lite Stiff

Titleist SM7 52*/S, 58*/D DG120 Stiff
<Searching>

15 minutes ago, achappy said:

KE4 TC Pro arrived today with MPF Pro fairway.  Drying now and hopefully I’ll get out soon with it.  We are expecting a little bit of a cold spell this weekend in the DC area but it will be in the 60’s next week.

The Rogue has been in my bad for about 3 years now and I absolutely love it.  Great off the tee, easy off the deck and LONG.  So the Maltby will have to work to beat it out but I’m hoping the adjustability will give me some different fligh options (like a 13* with it turned down).

IMG_4407.jpeg

IMG_4408.jpeg

Looks more compact heel to toe.

1 hour ago, achappy said:

IMG_4407.jpeg

IMG_4408.jpeg

Very interested to see how this one goes.   Deeper face?     Looking forward to your review.