Maltby TS2

Popeye64

I have now had the TS1-IMs for about 4 rounds now and 5-6 practice sessions and I have two (slightly negative) things I am monitoring:

Durability - Yes, yes tools not jewels but I am thinking these TS1-IMs are going to show nicks and scratches quite a bit due to the finish. Already starting to see little cuts throughout the set. I don't think it will affect playability but something to be aware of. A DBM finish in the TS1-IMs would be.....*chefs kiss*

Chipping - I haven't had many or really any "jumpers" with full iron shots but chipping with the GW and PW feels a bit too powerful at the moment. The ball just explodes of the clubface with chipping, just something for me to adjust to. My previous clubs (PTxPros) didn't really do that as much. 

These are small quibbles. The clubs are a great value and I am very happy I got them. I could buy two sets of these for the price of my last clubs but just wanted to put this out there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

36 minutes ago, vandyfan said:

I have now had the TS1-IMs for about 4 rounds now and 5-6 practice sessions and I have two (slightly negative) things I am monitoring:

Durability - Yes, yes tools not jewels but I am thinking these TS1-IMs are going to show nicks and scratches quite a bit due to the finish. Already starting to see little cuts throughout the set. I don't think it will affect playability but something to be aware of. A DBM finish in the TS1-IMs would be.....*chefs kiss*

Chipping - I haven't had many or really any "jumpers" with full iron shots but chipping with the GW and PW feels a bit too powerful at the moment. The ball just explodes of the clubface with chipping, just something for me to adjust to. My previous clubs (PTxPros) didn't really do that as much. 

These are small quibbles. The clubs are a great value and I am very happy I got them. I could buy two sets of these for the price of my last clubs but just wanted to put this out there. 

I use my "real" Jaws Raw wedges for chipping due to that unless I'm doing the 7i runner chip since the hollow Paradym irons were REALLY hot for me as well 

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym 10.5* HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway 3HL Paradym X HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway 7w Paradym HZRDUS Silver 5.5

Tour Edge C522 4 and 6 hybrids Fubuki HL 55R

Callaway 6-52* irons Paradym HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway Jaws Raw 58* Catalyst Wedge

Odyssey 11 Triple Track SuperStroke Traxion 2.0 

24 minutes ago, KimL72 said:

What shaft did you go with for Stinger?   A hybrid shaft?  or?

Rapport Core Blue.  I'm impressed with that shaft.  It seems to be perfect for me

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, goalie said:

Rapport Core Blue.  I'm impressed with that shaft.  It seems to be perfect for me

I have a KE4 Max set with the Rapports and agree.  Soon after I got mine, I was playing a longish (for me) par-3 with a friend.  I hit a 5i and he hit his driver.  I handed him the 4i and asked him to try it and he put it on the green.  After hitting a few shots with my clubs over the next 2 weeks, he ordered a set for himself.  Great shaft/head combination.

• Like 4

Just now, Klubster said:

I have a KE4 Max set with the Rapports and agree.  Soon after I got mine, I was playing a longish (for me) par-3 with a friend.  I hit a 5i and he hit his driver.  I handed him the 4i and asked him to try it and he put it on the green.  After hitting a few shots with my clubs over the next 2 weeks, he ordered a set for himself.  Great shaft/head combination.

They are AMAZING in the KE4 Max irons.  And I still hit them high enough to stop, despite the distance gain.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bad9 said:

This will be my third season with KE4 Tour+ and the design must be close to a decade old. I see no reason to change them other than to get something with stronger lofts but what's really the point of that. The only thing I don't like is the Maltby stamped into the sole. If I was going to replace them it would be with TE+ I think.

Yeah, that is one of the great aspects of their company, that they keep their proven designs around for a long while.  

In the forged players category, there have been some designs that don't stay around as long, probably because they're very close to something else they offer.  Thus the discussion about the TE+ and TS3.

It's also a good sales strategy, where you keep some things available that have earned a reputation and popularity, while also regularly releasing new options

Rapport Core Blue users, is there a comparable shaft to it?  I've blindly ordered shafts and been bit by them ie Maltby MPF graphite iron shafts.

I'd like to find a decent shaft at a decent price that's not a closeout.  So far the Graphite Design G-Tech has worked but I'm always searching for something better and readily available.

Thanks

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

3 hours ago, vandyfan said:

I've had one of my TE sets for quite a while now. They're made from basically the same material (1025 to 1035) and they look like they've been through a hail storm but they still play great.

• Like 1

Driver: Adams 9088

Fairways: TM V-Steel

Hybrids: Nickent 3DX

Irons: Maltby TE Forged

Wedges: Acer XB Satin

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #1

47 minutes ago, bekgolf said:

Rapport Core Blue users, is there a comparable shaft to it?  I've blindly ordered shafts and been bit by them ie Maltby MPF graphite iron shafts.

I'd like to find a decent shaft at a decent price that's not a closeout.  So far the Graphite Design G-Tech has worked but I'm always searching for something better and readily available.

Thanks

From reading the Maltby forums, the Recoil Dart has a very similar profile weight for weight.

2 hours ago, Bad9 said:

This will be my third season with KE4 Tour+ and the design must be close to a decade old. I see no reason to change them other than to get something with stronger lofts but what's really the point of that. The only thing I don't like is the Maltby stamped into the sole. If I was going to replace them it would be with TE+ I think.

I thought that I read/saw somewhere that The Golfworks will be bringing a replacement for the KE4 Tour+ later this year or early next year.

Titleist TSR2 10*| MCA Tensei AV blue (SFW) Xlink 55 S

Titleist TSR2 3 HL 16.5*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 65 S

Titleist TSR2 7 Wood 21*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 75 S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 4 iron| N.S. Pro 980GH DST S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-GW| N.S. Pro 1050GH S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* & 58*| N.S. Pro 1050GH S
Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star

45 minutes ago, pjc said:

I thought that I read/saw somewhere that The Golfworks will be bringing a replacement for the KE4 Tour+ later this year or early next year.

2025 according to Brett.  It will be the KE4 Forged, which will apparently not be a direct replacement for the KE4 Tour but will likely cause it to be phased out.

• Like 1

Now you guys might have talked me into it!

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Man, the KE4 Tour irons are already inexpensive as a pack.  If they go on closeout cheap, I may turn into an iron Ho

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Klubster said:

22 hours ago, goalie said:

They are AMAZING in the KE4 Max irons.  And I still hit them high enough to stop, despite the distance gain.  

I broke down and ordered a 7 iron KE4 Max with the Rapport A-flex shaft.     Even though I said I was going to wait to order anything, I couldn't help myself.    If what you guys are saying it true, about this shaft/head combo, I will be ordering the rest of the pak.    Should arrive in 1-2 weeks they said.   now the wait begins.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KimL72 said:

Should arrive in 1-2 weeks they said.   now the wait begins.  

My KE4 Max 4i took ten days to ship, two days after to arrive.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KimL72 said:

I broke down and ordered a 7 iron KE4 Max with the Rapport A-flex shaft.     Even though I said I was going to wait to order anything, I couldn't help myself.    If what you guys are saying it true, about this shaft/head combo, I will be ordering the rest of the pak.    Should arrive in 1-2 weeks they said.   now the wait begins.  

I have mine in the R-flex, so can not comment on the other flex combinations.  That A-flex is a really light shaft.  I had a little problem with going from Dynamic Gold to the 75gm.  Yours is 10gm lighter.  Give it time.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Klubster said:

I have mine in the R-flex, so can not comment on the other flex combinations.  That A-flex is a really light shaft.  I had a little problem with going from Dynamic Gold to the 75gm.  Yours is 10gm lighter.  Give it time.

I am coming from Top Flite senior men's graphite iron shafts, Golf Galaxy guy recommended them to me since I am tall for a woman.   Couldn't find weights on those suckers, but it shouldn't be too bad of a change for me.    I could see how the change from steel shafts to graphite would be weird at first.  

Once the 7 iron comes in, I will do a couple of range sessions with it and compare with my current club.   Though, hopefully the weather gets better here in Illinois, by then.  

• Like 3

Hey all lurker for a long time. Currently gaming Titleist T200s with nippon gh950s in a R flex. Been taking lessons and am now trending towards a 8/9 handicap and was looking at getting either the TS1 IMs or TS4s (I was aiming for T150s or T100s but they’re way too expensive). Hit my 7 iron about 150 and am looking to see what you all would recommend? 

Also very interested in graphite shafts as well so if you guys have any advice lmk! 

12 hours ago, Tsoibot said:

Hey all lurker for a long time. Currently gaming Titleist T200s with nippon gh950s in a R flex. Been taking lessons and am now trending towards a 8/9 handicap and was looking at getting either the TS1 IMs or TS4s (I was aiming for T150s or T100s but they’re way too expensive). Hit my 7 iron about 150 and am looking to see what you all would recommend? 

Also very interested in graphite shafts as well so if you guys have any advice lmk! 

Here is what a lot of us do. We buy a 7 iron in both models and we go to the range and see which one likes us best. Don't choose on day one. Just go and practice what ever you practice and then after you have a swing going, pull one of the sample models and hit shots. Over a couple of weeks a favorite will emerge. Ignore the stats or specs or reviews or other opinions. When you are faced with a forced carry of 145 yards to a narrow green and a bunker behind it, my opinion of what club you should buy isn't going to help you.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, terry55 said:

Here is what a lot of us do. We buy a 7 iron in both models and we go to the range and see which one likes us best. Don't choose on day one. Just go and practice what ever you practice and then after you have a swing going, pull one of the sample models and hit shots. Over a couple of weeks a favorite will emerge. Ignore the stats or specs or reviews or other opinions. When you are faced with a forced carry of 145 yards to a narrow green and a bunker behind it, my opinion of what club you should buy isn't going to help you.

‘this is basically what I have been doing, except on trackman and foresight.  I’ve been posting my stats in this thread if you search by my name.  I’m a 6 handicap right now and am leaning toward the te+ as it has the tightest dispersion of each head I have tried.

14 hours ago, Tsoibot said:

This is WRX, the obvious answer is always "GET BOTH"...........

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Tsoibot said:

I think I’ll rephrase my question then… if I were to go to get fitted… what are the comparable OEM irons I should hit in order to compare? 

I would recommend trusting the fitter and see what recommendations they have for you. Different fitters may have different options available. If you find a head shaft combo that works from you then you may be able to compare that to the Maltby offerings. Just my 2 cents 😁

• Like 2