Maltby TS2

Popeye64

Here's a Maltby Pro Series Shaft question request for opinion:

I have the Maltby KE4 TC 4W with the MPF Pro Series R flex mid size grip, Maltby KE4 21* HyWay UW with MPF Pro Series R flex mid size grip.  I also have the 2022 version Cleveland Hywood 3+ 18* with the 40 gram Cypher in S flex.  The Maltby HyWay has a low spinning with a low ball flight.  Can't really hold a green from 175-180 yards.  On Wednesday I hit a 4W 185 into the wind (10-12mph) with the Ksig V3 hit the fringe and stopped 3 yards onto the green.  Similar shot with the Hyway bounded across the green (same ball).  The Cleveland spin is right in between (Love the Cleveland btw and the Maltby 4W). I really like the way the Maltby HyWay feels and it's relatively easy to hit a bit more than a typical hybrid.  Would a shaft like the Kuro Kage give me more height and spin if I change the shaft?  I have a mid swing speed (79-83 mph 7i, about 92-95 mph driver which I carry 220-230)

MPF shafts tend to be stiffer than comparable flex shafts.  For instance I have a TS2 6 iron with an A flex MPF shaft that I find great.  I bought the TS2 to try out, but settled on TS1s years ago.  I was fitted into KBS Tour R flex.  I tried an MPF R flex in a hybrid and found it to be a board.  All my other shafts are R flex.  If you search the Maltby forums you’ll find that Britt will tell you the MPF shafts are stiffer than typical shafts flex for flex.  I have Kuro Kage in my 4W and it launches higher for me than my Tensei Blue if it helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Been quiet for over a day which is rare for this thread so I'll chime in: 

Decided to pick up a PTM-5 Center Shaft because I had only ever played a blade and "hey, 100 bucks aint so bad" <- (easy way for wife to ask "where do these clubs keep coming from?) and after bangin her (the club) around in the basement I thought it was a weird feel, but hey I'm not in the PGA why not put it in the bag? Well I don't know if I just needed a change but definitely my best putting performances over the past 2 weeks in a long while. 

In addition I picked up the TS3s from a fellow wrx'er and at first I didn't mind it but I think the combo with the Dynamic Gold Mids has the ball floating up a bit much for my liking. It's not so bad for the gap wedge but the longer clubs seem to be getting held up. Might have to put a new shaft in the ts3s, we'll see. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/28/2024 at 8:25 PM, KimL72 said:

I was only able to have time to hit my plastic golf balls in the front yard; but here are some pics of my Top Flite 7 iron vs the KE4 Max 7 iron.    To me the top Flite is a smidge bigger and the sole is more square compared to the KE4 Max.    Should be interesting at the driving range, which I hope to get out there this weekend.   

IMG_4478.jpeg

IMG_4477.jpeg

IMG_4476.jpeg

You should be very happy. Those ke4s are a much much better quality club!

3 hours ago, groovingrover said:

Might have to put a new shaft in the ts3s, we'll see. 

My package of Nippon NS Pro 1050GH shafts arrived today. We’ll see what a little heavier shaft feels like. 

• Like 2

Tour Edge c721/HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 3 wood/UST Elements MK
Ping g410 4h Tensei blue

Maltby TS3 6-Gap w/Nippon N.S. Pro 1050GH

SnakeEyes 685BX 52*/Callaway Jaws Raw 58Z

TP Mills Sycamore Hakd Made, flow neck pencil shaft, 342 grams, Grip Master Roo FL27

Carbon Ringo wide-flange, slant neck, 330 grams

GP Side Saddle Broomstick, 45"

On 3/28/2024 at 7:25 PM, KimL72 said:

Should be interesting at the driving range, which I hope to get out there this weekend.  

I was able to get to the driving range twice this weekend.    The second trip was a better experience.  Though it's normal for me to have a bad day at the range, then a good day the next time.    It's weird.     Hitting off mats, since the ground is too soft.   not a big fan of mats, but anyway,  I believe I am 90% sure I am buying the rest of the Pak of the KE4 Max with Rapport shaft, senior flex.    I will make my final decision with another range session, in doors at a lesson I have planned this Wednesday.  Just in case this teacher unlocks more swing speed from me, highly unlikely, but you never know.  lol!     The pure shots I had felt great, and were farther and higher than my Top Flite 7 iron, which I am sure is a shock to you all 😉    

On 3/30/2024 at 7:07 PM, Bryceslu said:

You should be very happy. Those ke4s are a much much better quality club!

I concur!

• Like 3

Glad to hear.

1 hour ago, KimL72 said:

I was able to get to the driving range twice this weekend.    The second trip was a better experience.  Though it's normal for me to have a bad day at the range, then a good day the next time.    It's weird.     Hitting off mats, since the ground is too soft.   not a big fan of mats, but anyway,  I believe I am 90% sure I am buying the rest of the Pak of the KE4 Max with Rapport shaft, senior flex.    I will make my final decision with another range session, in doors at a lesson I have planned this Wednesday.  Just in case this teacher unlocks more swing speed from me, highly unlikely, but you never know.  lol!     The pure shots I had felt great, and were farther and higher than my Top Flite 7 iron, which I am sure is a shock to you all 😉    

I concur!

• Like 1

15 hcp

8 minutes ago, TexanIIDriver said:

Saw another thread about Golfworks going downhill, well I disagree.

Ordered Thursday, confirmed a customization item that afternoon, shipped Friday, out for delivery today.

I wonder if it has to do with the type of account. I don't order very much so I have a regular account with no extra discounts. I placed an order on March 25th and the only email I have received is the initial order confirmation. So maybe it's depends on the type of account and how much you order?? Not trying to pick a fight just curious if that might be the difference 😁

26 minutes ago, Double4me said:

I wonder if it has to do with the type of account. I don't order very much so I have a regular account with no extra discounts. I placed an order on March 25th and the only email I have received is the initial order confirmation. So maybe it's depends on the type of account and how much you order?? Not trying to pick a fight just curious if that might be the difference 😁

Not sure honestly, but I only order from them once or twice a year as I am not a club builder (yet) and only work on my personal equipment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Double4me said:

I think it matters if they have stock of what you ordered.  I recently placed an order and it was shipped next day (no discounts, hobbyist). 

I've read of others orders being delayed and when they inquired it was due to backorder on something.  GW isn't known to have good communications with customers when it comes to delayed shipping.  New employees?  Who knows but lack of communication sucks for the customer.

• Like 1

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

58 minutes ago, bekgolf said:

I think it matters if they have stock of what you ordered.  I recently placed an order and it was shipped next day (no discounts, hobbyist). 

I've read of others orders being delayed and when they inquired it was due to backorder on something.  GW isn't known to have good communications with customers when it comes to delayed shipping.  New employees?  Who knows but lack of communication sucks for the customer.

That could be the case. I haven't checked on my order, just letting it run it's course for now. I have had both experiences personally. Although when my shipments have been delayed and I inquired on it I was never told that it was due to inventory. I am harping on Golfworks, but I do agree that the communication could be better. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, justinscoy said:

Since head size is hard to gauge online and there aren’t places to go see the Maltby line in person, here’s the TS3 6 iron compared to my MP5 (obviously I need to clean my mizunos lol). Shocked at the similarities and can’t wait to get to the range this afternoon to compare them!

image.jpg

image.jpg

First time hitting Maltby irons and I was shocked at the quality. Have been gaming MP5’s with Modus 120s for a few years and love them, however always intrigued by Maltby irons (game their wedges) so ordered a 6 iron TS3 with Steelfiber i110 stiff. The length seems a little screwy, I am not sure they lengthened it as ordered bc t** seemed about 3/4 shorter than my mp5’s (play irons +1”). Either way, the TS3 felt just as good as the MP5 and was a club longer (10-12 yds). Yes I used range balls but was regularly alternating between clubs, hit 20 shots each. TS3 had lower launch but peak heights were within 1 yd. Will be ordering a complete set in the near future, thoroughly impressed!!!

Edited by justinscoy
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, justinscoy said:

First time hitting Maltby irons and I was shocked at the quality. Have been gaming MP5’s with Modus 120s for a few years and love them, however always intrigued by Maltby irons (game their wedges) so ordered a 6 iron TS3 with Steelfiber i110 stiff. The length seems a little screwy, I am not sure they lengthened it as ordered bc t** seemed about 3/4 shorter than my mp5’s (play irons +1”). Either way, the TS3 felt just as good as the MP5 and was a club longer (10-12 yds). Yes I used range balls but was regularly alternating between clubs, hit 20 shots each. TS3 had lower launch but peak heights were within 1 yd. Will be ordering a complete set in the near future, thoroughly impressed!!!

I would expect they'd be longer, seeing how they're 2* or 3* stronger than the MP5s.

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I learned of Maltby from the Let's Play thru review of the TS1 IM.  I'm an 8 handicapper and started playing a few years ago on and off (Mainly driver and putting is holding me back).  I picked up a pair of used Callaway Apex cf16s with project x LX 95 5.5 shafts (they are so light I snapped my 7 iron, and my 9 iron is completely bent).  I hit my 8 iron around 165-170 as my ball striking has improved.  Everything I have seen about Maltby has been positive and decided to pull the trigger.  I could not decide whether to go with the TS3s, TS1 IMs, or TS4s.  In the end, I decided to order PW-4 iron TS3s with DG 120 X100.  I decided on TS3s because I love a fully forged iron and wanted something with more workability/weaker loft, which the TS3s seem to have.  I was looking for something close to the T150 and a steppingstone to something close to the T100.  Now that I have posted on the forum everyone knows that if they don't work out, I will just order another set lol Well the reason why I'm writing here is because I can't wait and wanted to see what y'all think; Do you think I made the right choice going with the TS3s based on my old irons and what I'm looking for?  Will they perform close to my prior irons, or will it be a big adjustment?  I look forward to reading your thoughts if you care to respond.  I will also update once I get them and try them out. Cheers!

• Like 4

I bought the TSW DRM last year.  My wedge game is O.K.  Not great, just ok.  This year - so far - it's been extremely wet and I'm having problems hitting the wedge without duffing or thinning it.  A VERY GENEROUS WRX'er who lives in a neighboring community (don't know if he wants to be outed. LOL ) has lent me his 56* Max Milled.  I have it for a week now and the constant rain has prevented me from using it so far but I will be using it on Monday!  Can't wait.  

The Gap wedge on my new irons (PXG 0211 XCor2 - Present from my kids) is 48*  I'm going to go to a 54* and 58* Max Milled wedges from 52*, 56* and 60*.  Too many choices in wedges actually messes me up.  I'm more confident going with an 1/2 swing PW than a full 56*.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, charmon said:

I learned of Maltby from the Let's Play thru review of the TS1 IM.  I'm an 8 handicapper and started playing a few years ago on and off (Mainly driver and putting is holding me back).  I picked up a pair of used Callaway Apex cf16s with project x LX 95 5.5 shafts (they are so light I snapped my 7 iron, and my 9 iron is completely bent).  I hit my 8 iron around 165-170 as my ball striking has improved.  Everything I have seen about Maltby has been positive and decided to pull the trigger.  I could not decide whether to go with the TS3s, TS1 IMs, or TS4s.  In the end, I decided to order PW-4 iron TS3s with DG 120 X100.  I decided on TS3s because I love a fully forged iron and wanted something with more workability/weaker loft, which the TS3s seem to have.  I was looking for something close to the T150 and a steppingstone to something close to the T100.  Now that I have posted on the forum everyone knows that if they don't work out, I will just order another set lol Well the reason why I'm writing here is because I can't wait and wanted to see what y'all think; Do you think I made the right choice going with the TS3s based on my old irons and what I'm looking for?  Will they perform close to my prior irons, or will it be a big adjustment?  I look forward to reading your thoughts if you care to respond.  I will also update once I get them and try them out. Cheers!

That's actually a question only you can answer once you get them and try them out 😁. You may see some differences because of different shafts as well. The important thing is to give them a fair chance. And once you have taken them out report back, good or bad. If it's bad maybe the group can help out a bit. Congrats and have fun! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, charmon said:

Yes-- you will love them.  DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT come back here and read about the TS-1IM or TS-4.    OR- you will be doing what I have done- trying them all.    

Seriously- THe TS-3 are so good that you will love them.  Nothing is sweeter than flushing a TS-3.   They perform from all lies and I have been able to work them both directions.   Personally- I don't think you will have trouble adjusting.   Maybe some distance adjustments-- but that is also different by day and time of year IMO.    Enjoy them.  They really are fantastic

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, wantacigar said:

I'm going to go to a 54* and 58* Max Milled wedges from 52*, 56* and 60*.  Too many choices in wedges actually messes me up.  I'm more confident going with an 1/2 swing PW than a full 56*.

I did that last year.  Went with the narrow sole 54 and wide 58.  I do not miss the extra wedge and both are good from the sand.

• Like 2

On 4/1/2024 at 8:49 AM, TexanIIDriver said:

Saw another thread about Golfworks going downhill, well I disagree.

Ordered Thursday, confirmed a customization item that afternoon, shipped Friday, out for delivery today.

I ordered PW-4 iron custom build TS3s on Friday with next day air shipping.  They called me on Sunday (Easter) confirming I ordered the clubs because my billing address and shipping address were not the same because I recently bought a new house.  I confirmed and I noticed that the status changed to "partially shipped."  I called yesterday on 4/2 and talked to a nice lady.  She said they don't partially ship and that typically means they are on back order.  She went through my order and told me I ordered an extra shaft Sku: TT0124K-Y and that is on back order.  However, I never saw that product in my order and could not even find a product with that sku lol Well she supposedly took that shaft off my order and changed my order status to "manual verification needed."  I just checked my order status again and its back to "partially shipped."  I know its 7 heads, shafts, and grips, but was hoping I could them by Friday because I paid $50+ for shipping and it does not appear anything is on back order.  Not sure if others have had this issue.

12 hours ago, AZstu324 said:

Confession time: so for the past couple of years I hadn't really given much thought or consideration to the Maltby Max milled wedges. Being somewhat of a "wedge snob" and having put a load of time into dialing a decent wedge game, these just appeared to be too "game improvementy" for my taste. Mind you I'd never seen one in person, let alone the picture like what I'm posting below. 

Well my dad on the other hand has a rather atrocious wedge game. Frightening really. He's mortified by the thought of even picking up a wedge. In most instances it's like giving a katana sword to a child. It just doesn't turn out well and people can get hurt. I figured I'd make him a more friendly playing wedge and the Max 54° 1.05" wide sole seemed like a decent idea for him. 

Well I ordered it and built it. It's about 1" longer than standard to help him not have to bend over so much and allow to just brush the grass with his arms mostly straight. At first I was actually pretty shocked at how nice the profile is. Not an overly large head at all. He has a new TM Hi-toe and this is a MUCH better looking shape. Yes the sole is wide.. but not gimmicky infomercial magic club wide. It looks appropriate. The standout features are the sole milling, adjustable weights,and full-faced grooves. 

We played 18 last week. I won't say much about whether or not this helped fix his wedge game.. but throughout the round I took a few shots from various lies, including some full 115 yd shots and WOW! This has to be the easiest, most precise wedge I have ever played. Distance control from various lengths to the hole was bonkers! I'll get into spin here in a minute. 

Well all week I've been thinking about how much fun I had with those few shots and how much extra control and execution I seemed to have. Today we played one of our favorite courses. The Duke in Maricopa. It's really a fun course that demands a good short game. I made a point to use the Max 54° as much as I possibly could. Well the last round wasn't a fluke. This thing is just so darn easy to hit from all lies. I was even able to open up the face and pull off some nice high flop shots no problem. 

The one thing that I just couldn't get over was how generous the spin seemed to be. TBH, it probably outperformed my TM MG3's. I'd say that spin might have been neck and neck, but the ability to put the ball exactly where I wanted it every single time and with full reliability have the ball skip once and then dead stop.. that was something! Another note is that I could do this from just off the green on tight or fluffy lies.

Some extra sole width and effective bounce, generally makes a wedge easier to hit and more forgiving for most players, including some better players.

No it's not going to "help" hit a super lob shot off hard pan,.....but then again, should we really be attempting that kind of shot in a round that means something?  Probably not

50 minutes ago, Cwebb said:

Some extra sole width and effective bounce, generally makes a wedge easier to hit and more forgiving for most players, including some better players.

No it's not going to "help" hit a super lob shot off hard pan,.....but then again, should we really be attempting that kind of shot in a round that means something?  Probably not

I found it difficult to open up in any conditions as the trailing edge caught .  Full shots were fine, bunker was fine.  Chips and pitches that did not require opening the face were fine.  It does spin more than most wedges!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ode said:

I found it difficult to open up in any conditions as the trailing edge caught .  Full shots were fine, bunker was fine.  Chips and pitches that did not require opening the face were fine.  It does spin more than most wedges!

One of my complaints is that they don't offer the higher lofts (58,60) in the the standard sole width.  That should be an option.

• Like 3