Maltby TS2

Popeye64

8 hours ago, OhioGolf7272 said:
Final notes: I would personally be wary of the TS4s and TE+ compared to the TS3s or TS1 IMs if you are not a consistent ball striker. They feel harsh on toe misses.

Question: Did they still only have the TS4 6 iron there to test or were you able to hit something else?

Hello, I was fitted for 85g stiff flex steel iron shafts (+1/2” and 2* flat). What make/model shaft should I be hunting ?  

I am also shopping for an S and L wedge to pair with my 4-G TS1 IS’s.  Max Milled have the look to pair with the irons. But I’ve read some of you suggest TSW over Max Milled? 

Aesthetically I prefer the max milled… Which direction should I go here?  

Either way, should I put matching custom shaft on the S and L wedges? (Lightweight stiff steel, +1/2”, 2* flat)? Or use whatever the basic shaft is that is included in a Pak purchase ?

14 hours ago, high5golf said:

I am also shopping for an S and L wedge to pair with my 4-G TS1 IS’s.  Max Milled have the look to pair with the irons. But I’ve read some of you suggest TSW over Max Milled? 

Aesthetically I prefer the max milled… Which direction should I go here?  

Las year, I replaced my Maltby forged wedges with the Max Milled.  Your choice depends on your skill level with wedges.  If you chunk a lot of shots, the Max is better.  If you open up the face to hit a flop shot occasionally, the TSW is better.  Overall, I like the Max better and it is definitely better in the sand. All you really lose is that ability to try to pull that 1 in 100 flop shot with the 60 degree off. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Klubster said:

Las year, I replaced my Maltby forged wedges with the Max Milled.  Your choice depends on your skill level with wedges.  If you chunk a lot of shots, the Max is better.  If you open up the face to hit a flop shot occasionally, the TSW is better.  Overall, I like the Max better and it is definitely better in the sand. All you really lose is that ability to try to pull that 1 in 100 flop shot with the 60 degree off. 

Thanks for the reply! Any thoughts on shafts?

2 hours ago, high5golf said:

Thanks for the reply! Any thoughts on shafts?

Again, it depends on your course and your game.  In general, if you are hitting a lot of full shots with your wedges, lean toward the firmer side.  If you want more feel around the greens, go softer.  On my current course, I seldom hit a full lob wedge.  I switched from a stiff flex to an A-flex.  I can still hit full shots, but they fly higher and shorter. I like the feel around the greens.  With wedges, the shafts are so short that when tipped, you do not notice flex changes as much as you would a long iron

3 hours ago, ode said:

Which brand/model?  That would be where I'd start, and would be helpful to know which shaft it is and/or which shafts you hit well in the fitting for others to offer an opinion.

It didn’t recommend a brand. It was a trackman monitor using a Wilson “fitting iron” and fitting software (PGA Superstore), I hit like 35-50 shots, then it spit out recommendations on a variety of variables. Obviously length, flex, weight, and angle were among them.  It said IF steel shaft then 85g stiff. And, IF graphite shaft then 55g stiff (I think, can’t be 100% on the graphite suggestion because the club fitter employee suggested I don’t use graphite—he is like 57 and a +6 handicap (he says)).

Edited by high5golf

Just wanted to update folks.  I am loving the ts-4 irons! Dabbled with a few different shafts for it and finally got the paderson kinetixx ballistic 95 regular flex into them. I hit them really well in my simulator and was going on a trip to Austin for our yearly golf trip. I made a last minute decision to get a set of Ping blueprint S irons to take with me and I didn’t play well at all. 
Came back, sold the blueprint S irons and decided to reshaft the ts-4 5-gw and ts1-m 4 iron with the paderson shafts again!  Wow!! They are so amazing. Played yesterday and today and broke 80 with 78/77 for the first time in a few months. Lowest round last year was 75 and without a few mental mistakes easily could have played better in just a few rounds with the ts-4. 
I just went ahead and ordered the ts-4 4 iron and 54-58 TSW drm heads. Can’t wait to get them. Wish golfworks still had the 110 ballistic regular shafts to put into my 54 and 58 but alas seems like they are not available. 
Might have to try the paderson ts-w .355 taper regular flex graphite in the future. And even the paderson driver and fairway shafts. Very impressed with the ts-4 and the paderson line.
Edited by ericft
  • Like 4

59 minutes ago, ericft said:
 Just wanted to let update folks.  I am loving the ts-4 irons! Dabbled with a few different shafts for it and finally got the paderson kinetixx ballistic 95 regular flex into them. I hit them really well in my simulator and was going on a trip to Austin for our yearly golf trip. I made a last minute decision to get a set of Ping blueprint S irons to take with me and I didn’t play well at all. 
Came back, decided to reshaft the ts-4 5-gw and ts1-m 4 iron with the paderson shafts again!  Wow!! They are so amazing. Played yesterday and broke 80 with 78/77 for the first time in a few months. Lowest round last year was 75 and without a few mental mistakes easily could have played better in just a few rounds with the ts-4. 
I just went ahead and ordered the ts-4 4 iron and 54-58 TSW drm heads. Can’t wait to get them. Wish golfworks still had the 110 ballistic regular shafts to put into my 54 and 58 but alas seems like they are not available. 
Might have to try the paderson ts-w .355 taper regular flex graphite in the future. And even the paderson driver and fairway shafts. Very impressed with the ts-4 and the paderson line.

Were you "blade" or muscleback player at all, before the TS4's?

Just now, Cwebb said:

Were you "blade" or muscleback player at all, before the TS4's?

My best round ever 68 (par 70) was with ping iblades. played my best with them hence decision to get the blueprint S as I prefer thin soles.I have played the best golf with thinner soled irons as I am very shallow and don't take much divot if at all. I struggle with thicker soled clubs and prefer clubs that have a very soft feel as well. Maybe the blue print shafted with awt 2.0 just wasn't the right shaft for me but something about the combo of the graphite with the ts-4. I am a 6-7 handicap in the 9 handicap body...I should really shoot in the 70s but my iron game isn't up to par relative to what I can do in my head. Hitting shots...knock down punches, fades and draws to take off or add distance to shots is how I like to play and these ts-4 allow me to do it..I remember about a month ago before my golf trip I had just shafted them witht he paderson and was in my simulator doing distance drills...was able to hit 120/130/140/150 all with my 9 iron just varying shots...it was so inspiring and confirmation that I am a good player just need the right equipment for my game. 
I have played good golf with heavier weight and have not liked the pulls I get with lighter weight shafts..somehow the paderson are just not that way..feel great and don't feel too light. 

36 minutes ago, ericft said:

My best round ever 68 (par 70) was with ping iblades. played my best with them hence decision to get the blueprint S as I prefer thin soles.I have played the best golf with thinner soled irons as I am very shallow and don't take much divot if at all. I struggle with thicker soled clubs and prefer clubs that have a very soft feel as well. Maybe the blue print shafted with awt 2.0 just wasn't the right shaft for me but something about the combo of the graphite with the ts-4. I am a 6-7 handicap in the 9 handicap body...I should really shoot in the 70s but my iron game isn't up to par relative to what I can do in my head. Hitting shots...knock down punches, fades and draws to take off or add distance to shots is how I like to play and these ts-4 allow me to do it..I remember about a month ago before my golf trip I had just shafted them witht he paderson and was in my simulator doing distance drills...was able to hit 120/130/140/150 all with my 9 iron just varying shots...it was so inspiring and confirmation that I am a good player just need the right equipment for my game. 
I have played good golf with heavier weight and have not liked the pulls I get with lighter weight shafts..somehow the paderson are just not that way..feel great and don't feel too light. 

More likely that the lower sweet-spot (AVCOG) of the TS4 is a better fit.  Pings have been really high in recent times.  The Ping i-blade was measured at .777", which is close to the TS4 at .761".

As a shallow player, you definitely don't want an iron design that's higher and I would avoid anything above about .800"

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cwebb said:

More likely that the lower sweet-spot (AVCOG) of the TS4 is a better fit.  Pings have been really high in recent times.  The Ping i-blade was measured at .777", which is close to the TS4 at .761".

As a shallow player, you definitely don't want an iron design that's higher and I would avoid anything above about .800"

you are more than likely correct...I tried to like the DBM heads but they launched just too high for me and for some reason I lost a lot of distance. They also had a lower VCOG.

2 hours ago, ericft said:

you are more than likely correct...I tried to like the DBM heads but they launched just too high for me and for some reason I lost a lot of distance. They also had a lower VCOG.

Always remember to compare actual loft to loft.  Some of the DBM heads had actual lofts that were 1* higher than their stated spec

2 hours ago, Double4me said:

I received my Max Milled 56 and Glider 60 on Saturday. I finished off my weekend by picking up a new SIM 2 Max driver today. I still haven't been able to hit my irons outside yet, TS3, but I am excited for the year. I don't get out nearly enough as much as I would like, but maybe I can change that this year 👍

I went back and forth on drivers and in the end I decided on the SIM 2 Max. We had gift cards from our local Scheels (a sporting goods store in the Midwest for those that don't know them) and they price matched Golf Avenue, so it offset getting a torque wrench 😁. Silly win I know, but still felt like a win. I was going between the SIM, PXG 0311 gen 5, and the KE4 Max. At the end of the day being able to hit the SIM, use gift cards we had, and working with someone local won me over this time. Maybe down the road I will try the KE4 Max. But as you can tell by the picture 90 percent of my bag is Maltby so I don't feel to bad. 

🥃 Here's to getting out there and hitting them straight!! 

20240407_200830.jpg

What made you decide to go with the "alien" Glider wedge?

7 hours ago, Cwebb said:

What made you decide to go with the "alien" Glider wedge?

@Cwebb to be honest I am terrible green side with a wedge. This is really an experiment to see if I can get some confidence back. I either open up the face or skull it currently. My go to is a bump and run with my 7, but I wanted to attempt to get better with wedges. So mainly an experiment for now. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cwebb said:

Always remember to compare actual loft to loft.  Some of the DBM heads had actual lofts that were 1* higher than their stated spec

Is this based on personal observation, and do you know if others have seen similar loft discrepancies?  Very interested as a DBM fan, and as someone that does not have a loft/lie machine.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

Hello guys, I am back with a wedge question.

My TS3 irons are fantastic. And I want a wedge set.
With my previous irons, I didn't feel much difference in weight from PW (120g) to Vokey 50 (wedge flex)

Now my TS3 irons are installed with Tour lite (100g), I like the lightweight irons, but now I feel the wedges are heavy.

I wanted to build a set of MAX Milled wedges with the FST 115 shaft.

I like my Vokey wedges (50.08F, 56.08M, 60.04L). I am not sure If I can build a similar combination.

The Maltby gap wedge (50) has too little bounce, and the sole of the lob wedge is too wide, IMO.

However, the new wedges are coming this year. I will wait until it's released.

https://ralphmaltby.com/questions/question/future-plans-for-copper-finish-irons-wedges/

• Like 1

On 4/5/2024 at 6:09 PM, 4dgolf said:

Question for those who have ordered the score LT shafts before. I just got in my demo ts1 iron (gorgeous by the way) but I realize now after seeing the order sheet that I totally forgot to request a flex, and they never reached out to ask me for one. Shaft band says S, so I’m assuming they just default built it to stiff, or do all the bands say S even if it is trimmed to Regular flex ?  

Typically a band for an R/S flex shaft will have the flex letter at each end of the band.  And the band is long enough to wrap around and cover the one that needs to be covered up.  So I would think you do indeed have an S flex.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

13 hours ago, Double4me said:

I received my Max Milled 56 and Glider 60 on Saturday. I finished off my weekend by picking up a new SIM 2 Max driver today. I still haven't been able to hit my irons outside yet, TS3, but I am excited for the year. I don't get out nearly enough as much as I would like, but maybe I can change that this year 👍

I went back and forth on drivers and in the end I decided on the SIM 2 Max. We had gift cards from our local Scheels (a sporting goods store in the Midwest for those that don't know them) and they price matched Golf Avenue, so it offset getting a torque wrench 😁. Silly win I know, but still felt like a win. I was going between the SIM, PXG 0311 gen 5, and the KE4 Max. At the end of the day being able to hit the SIM, use gift cards we had, and working with someone local won me over this time. Maybe down the road I will try the KE4 Max. But as you can tell by the picture 90 percent of my bag is Maltby so I don't feel to bad. 

🥃 Here's to getting out there and hitting them straight!! 

20240407_200830.jpg

Did you go straight from watching the Rick Shiels video to Scheels?

11 minutes ago, Gdashoff said:

Did you go straight from watching the Rick Shiels video to Scheels?

😂😂 No, but I did watch that video. I have been trying to decide since the end of last summer. I almost pulled the trigger on the PXG over Christmas but held off. I went down Saturday to hit the SIM and glad I did. A 9 degree stiff flex ended up being the best for me, which is a new thing since I have been a 10.5 regular flex guy. 

But that Rick Shiels video was a good one. 

2 hours ago, brew4eagle said:

Is this based on personal observation, and do you know if others have seen similar loft discrepancies?  Very interested as a DBM fan, and as someone that does not have a loft/lie machine.

Yeah, I've measured and adjusted lots of heads.  Moral of the story is to measure everything.  Never assume that they will be on spec, no matter the cost or quality.

Otherwise comparisons for shot height, trajectory, and distance are random and many times not accurate within the manufacturing tolerance....

and for everyone ordering from the Golfworks, if you don't have access to the equipment for measuring and adjusting, I always recommend having Golfworks do actual measurements for you.   They will even adjust them to different lofts than spec if you want that

Edited by Cwebb
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, vandyfan said:

I am now about 8 rounds in with my TS1-IMs with FST 125 (stiff) shafts. I am coming from Ben Hogan PTxPros in KBS Tour 120 Stiff. I have had several very low differential rounds in the last few weeks and had a career back 9 at Pinehurst No. 2 (6 birdies on the back). I would encourage anyone that like KBS Tours to at least try out the FST shaft line in a similar weight. They are, in my opinion, great iron shafts that can be had for $12/shaft. Thrilled with the performance and pretty happy I didn't spring for the $24 extra per shaft for the KBS Tour. Best irons I have ever had. 

any issue with swingweight on the build as they are blanks that have to be tip trimmed to each iron and hence descending weight to the PW?

1 hour ago, ericft said:

any issue with swingweight on the build as they are blanks that have to be tip trimmed to each iron and hence descending weight to the PW?

Maybe at first. It might have been in my head as I was well aware of the 2.9 grams I was going to lose each inch shorter I went. Obviously the heads get heavier so there is some total weight balancing. At this point, I don't notice it. I hit the long irons very well and that may be because they are closer to my ideal shaft weight (around 109g probably in the 5 iron). Having a 102g weighted shaft in my gap wedge vs my previous KBS 120 hasn't caused any noticeable issues (yet). 

One more thing, that (again) might be totally in my head, is I feel like I can hit more balls at the range now. I hit a lot of 8 irons which now has a ~105g shaft in it and maybe saving 15g has given me some stamina. Full disclosure, I wish the FST shafts were all the same weight BUT that is part of the $$$ savings. I still play a 120g shaft in my 54* and it isn't really throwing me off at the moment. 

• Like 1

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1