2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Maltby TS2

Popeye64

So, the KE4 TC IST 5w may be exactly what I'm looking for.  

Anyone try it?  I'm pondering the pak with a KK shaft. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym 10.5* HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway 3HL Paradym X HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway 7w Paradym HZRDUS Silver 5.5

Tour Edge C522 4 and 6 hybrids Fubuki HL 55R

Callaway 6-52* irons Paradym HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway Jaws Raw 58* Catalyst Wedge

Odyssey 11 Triple Track SuperStroke Traxion 2.0 

14 minutes ago, goalie said:

So, the KE4 TC IST 5w may be exactly what I'm looking for.  

Anyone try it?  I'm pondering the pak with a KK shaft. 

Yes and I prefer it over the Pro IST head. I installed the heavy weight plus added about 4 grams of hot melt. D5 swing weight at 42 1/4” 

can’t comment on the KK shaft. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Colej said:

Yes and I prefer it over the Pro IST head. I installed the heavy weight plus added about 4 grams of hot melt. D5 swing weight at 42 1/4” 

can’t comment on the KK shaft. 

Thanks. I have a bunch of Maltby weights, so swing weight won't be an issue.  

It looks like it should be easy to hit without worrying about hooking it.

• Like 1

Well, I pulled the trigger on the IST 5W, normal not the adjustable pro.   It checks all the boxes I'm looking for, so we shall see.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, groovingrover said:

Care to expound on why you prefer it? Have the Pro in a 3w and am mostly just curious. 

The face height was the number one thing. I know it’s a very slight difference between the two. 

I like the overall shape and how the non adjustable sits behind a ball at address. 

Edited by Colej
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, goalie said:

Well, I pulled the trigger on the IST 5W, normal not the adjustable pro.   It checks all the boxes I'm looking for, so we shall see.  

did you go with the pak and the KK shaft or head only. FWIW the rapport blue FW is very solid. 

Edited by Colej
Couldn’t edit post correctly
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Colej said:

did you go with the pak and the KK shaft or head only. FWIW the rapport blue FW is very solid. 

I'm a fan of the Rapport shafts, my KE4 Max irons had them, and now a friend I gave them to loves them as well.  I also have one in my 5 hybrid.  

For this I'm going with the MPF Pro fairway shaft.  I get along with it in R flex in a KE4 Tour TC 4w and a KE4 TC HyWay (21*)  If I like it but don't love it, I'll probably mess around with other shafts.   The one time I tried an MPF iron shaft I hated it, but I like it on the fairway's. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, goalie said:

I'm a fan of the Rapport shafts, my KE4 Max irons had them, and now a friend I gave them to loves them as well.  I also have one in my 5 hybrid.  

For this I'm going with the MPF Pro fairway shaft.  I get along with it in R flex in a KE4 Tour TC 4w and a KE4 TC HyWay (21*)  If I like it but don't love it, I'll probably mess around with other shafts.   The one time I tried an MPF iron shaft I hated it, but I like it on the fairway's. 

Funny, I have the KE4 Tour TC 4W and the 21* HyWay with the MPF Pro R flex.  They are great in those clubs, however, on the HyWay I tend to get a lower ball flight from the fairway and find it hard to hold greens if my swing or strike is off a little.  The shaft is definitely a little stiffer than the typical regular flex shaft.  

I'm using Mitsubishi MMT R flex in my new irons and a 55 gram stiff shaft in my TM M4 driver.  Felt that the MPF were right in between that for the FW and UW and it's worked out great.  I've never tried the KK shafts but am intrigued because I really like the MMT.  I'm always tinkering and trying out new clubs so I am very interested in hearing what people think of the KK shafts with some of the club paks.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2024 at 2:33 PM, wantacigar said:

I started playing and learning golf in early to mid 80's on my father's 1960's-1970's Walter Haigen blades!  My first set of my own irons was Spaulding Executives box set!   How much easier the Spaulding were to hit than the Haigs.  LOL

My second set of irons were 1968 Wilson Staff Dynapower irons. Very similar to the Haigs. Around 1992 I switched to Ram FX Laser irons, the original forged cavity back and on both irons the sweet spot was millimeters from the hosel. A pro was watching me on the range one day, “man you hit those close to the hosel”.

If I don’t it comes up 10 yards short and right. Lol

Cleveland Classic XL Driver
KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

On 4/26/2024 at 4:53 PM, Mike_C said:

I am planning on playing tomorrow morning, they are in the bag, I will just have to get my yardages down, and I'm still fighting a slight muscle pull on my left side, really have to fight overswinging, hope I can swing within myself, and not try to kill the ball on any shots tomorrow. 

Follow up from the weekend.  I played 18 on Saturday, only got 9 on Sunday (the radar looked bad, and we called it a day at the turn).

Hit the irons very well.  One of my biggest concerns was getting the distances down, and I seemed to actually have them dialed in almost right away, and was very consistent, hitting a lot of shots just about pin high.   I was afraid I would be a bit shorter than with my Srixons, but the TS4s were pretty much in line with my  ZX7 short irons I have been playing despite being about a degree weaker.  The TS3 4 and 5 irons might be a bit shorter than my ZX5 iron equivalents, the 5 iron is a degree weaker, the 4 iron the same at 22*. . What I noticed the most was the lower ball flight in combination with the Dart Vs vs the KBS TGI 90s/Srixons, especially vs the ZX5 4-5 irons, not that it is a bad thing.  My first shot with the 5 iron was on my second hole, 182 into a decent wind, hit it to 10 feet and made the birdie.....   I hit probably another 5 approaches inside of 15-18 feet on the day, 11 GIR total, a few misses were because of bad tee balls....  I ended the day 2 under 70, but mostly because I had my best putting round of the year..... I hit 7 of 9 greens yesterday. 

I did hit a few out toward the toe, you can tell for sure they are not perfect strikes, but they still carried close to a center strike. Maybe the TS IMs are better than the TS 3/4s on mishits, but I don't mind the feedback from less than perfect contact.    I would say first impressions are very positive.  

• Like 2

WITB
Ping G430 Max 10K Tour 2.0 Chrome S 65

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 3 and 5 wood, Tensei AV Blue limited  75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

I'm heavily leaning towards a ts1-im/ts4 combo set just because of the finish. I don't think I could stand having such different finishes unfortunately.

If I matched lofts between the im and 4, would that work? I see most people do a ts3/ts4 combo a lot.

Also is the finish between the te+ v4 and ts1-im/ts4 the same finish?

On 4/27/2024 at 10:46 PM, mynameisntshawn said:

Ok only semi-related but, I gotta say, it pays to be known as a golf club nerd. Today my buddy sent me this FB Marketplace listing (I deactivated my FB account years ago). I noticed the shaft extractor and bending bars and thought, hey, even just those are an incredible deal! Well, I’ve been unpacking the bin and have identified $913 of tools so far, including the economy bending tool (with gauges) precision measuring tool, vice mount shaft extractor, gripping station, and a ton of smaller tools. I already have a swing weight scale, so this is basically exactly what I would buy if I had a $1k budget for tools. I’m beyond stoked, especially because I’ve been thinking of bending my TS3 set a bit upright after shortening them back down to standard length.

IMG_0217.jpeg

Count me as SUPER jealous of your score! That's a major deal. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, TheFrozenChef said:

I'm heavily leaning towards a ts1-im/ts4 combo set just because of the finish. I don't think I could stand having such different finishes unfortunately.

If I matched lofts between the im and 4, would that work? I see most people do a ts3/ts4 combo a lot.

The mismatched finishes do bug me just a bit with my TS3/4 combo, seeing them in the bag, I think I should have gotten the TS4 4-5 irons just so they match.   

But I'll probably forget about it after awhile, like playing hybrids instead of long-irons, its how they play that matters....

WITB
Ping G430 Max 10K Tour 2.0 Chrome S 65

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 3 and 5 wood, Tensei AV Blue limited  75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

Have had my TS1-IMs for about 8 rounds now. Did not get their specs checked (March) when I took delivery but had them checked this weekend. 4 irons were .5 to 1* upright and 5 of the 7 irons were 1* strong. Not sure if that is from playing them or if they were close to that spec when I got them (I ordered them standard L/L/L). My pro noted that they were "super soft" and very easy to bend so that likely has something to do with it. Fairly firm the last few rounds. Anyway, just a PSA for everyone to check your lies and lofts (for all clubs, not just Maltby).

Edited by vandyfan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

3 hours ago, TheFrozenChef said:

There isn’t much reason to combo the ts1im and ts4. They are extremely similar in how they perform you might as well just match the whole set. I can’t tell the difference other than sound when I hit them back to back.

• Like 1

I got out for another 9 today with the TS1IM and TS4 7 irons. My swing was better and more consistent today. Played roughly 3 shots each back to back on every tee box and from the fairway.

Even more so this time, I couldn’t tell which one I was hitting based on performance. They play almost identical to me other than sound (the TS1IM has a little bit of a clickier noise but only because I’m hitting them back to back). Both feel buttery when hit center. I could easily play either one and be happy. 
I only hit 1 toe side out past the grooves and then flushed one right after with the TS1IM.  I was about 8 yards shorter on the massively toed one, but I also clearly made a worse swing. I would gladly take 8 yards for such a bad miss hit. Incredible really.

They both had plenty of spin, when I landed on the green I was spinning back 2-4ft from pitch mark, and about the same trajectory. Maybe…maybe the TS1IM played a bit higher if I had to say.

Surprisingly I was hitting my current 7iron with 35 loft the same distance as the maltby at 32.5 and 33 loft (sometimes longer). Might be a difference in spin I guess. I normally will be sitting next to my pitch mark with current 7i instead of spinning it back. 

Current iron is PX 6.0 and maltby are FST Pro 125 X. From what I gather the PX 6 is a S+ and FST Pro is a X-.

Edited by Bryceslu
Edit

Hey Maltby Pros! 

I have a set of Sti2 with TT Score Stuff shafts.  I do hit them quite well honestly, but I think some graphite shafts could help me for a few reasons.  I have a bad wrist and do feel quite a bit of joint pain after back to back golf days. Secondly, I might benefit from some increased launch overall. 

If I were to order the Maltby MPF pro for some testing, any idea of I would for better into the R or S? I hit the ball decently well, but don't have a ton of speed. 7 iron around 145-150 carry.  .driver around 240-250 total (Driver shaft Aldila 110 Msi Rogue Stiff).

Any help would be appreciated! 

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

33 minutes ago, Bryceslu said:

I got out for another 9 today with the TS1IM and TS4 7 irons. My swing was better and more consistent today. Played roughly 3 shots each back to back on every tee box and from the fairway.

Even more so this time, I couldn’t tell which one I was hitting based on performance. They play almost identical to me other than sound (the TS1IM has a little bit of a clickier noise but only because I’m hitting them back to back). Both feel buttery when hit center. I could easily play either one and be happy. 
I only hit 1 toe side out past the grooves and then flushed one right after with the TS1IM.  I was about 8 yards shorter on the massively toed one, but I also clearly made a worse swing. I would gladly take 8 yards for such a bad miss hit. Incredible really.

They both had plenty of spin, when I landed on the green I was spinning back 2-4ft from pitch mark, and about the same trajectory. Maybe…maybe the TS1IM played a bit higher if I had to say.

Surprisingly I was hitting my current 7iron with 35 loft the same distance as the maltby at 32.5 and 33 loft (sometimes longer). Might be a difference in spin I guess. I normally will be sitting next to my pitch mark with current 7i instead of spinning it back. 

Current iron is PX 6.0 and maltby are FST Pro 125 X. From what I gather the PX 6 is a S+ and FST Pro is a X- and feel very similar.

That's a misconception on the shaft comparison.  The PX 6.0 measures as a true 'X' with a very stiff middle through the tip section.  The FST Pro 125 trimmed to their stated "X", is really just an 'S' flex with a moderate mid/tip section, that is not even close to the PX 6.0

Edited by Cwebb
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TheFrozenChef said:

Yes on both of your questions

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 5hort5tuff said:

Hey Maltby Pros! 

I have a set of Sti2 with TT Score Stuff shafts.  I do hit them quite well honestly, but I think some graphite shafts could help me for a few reasons.  I have a bad wrist and do feel quite a bit of joint pain after back to back golf days. Secondly, I might benefit from some increased launch overall. 

If I were to order the Maltby MPF pro for some testing, any idea of I would for better into the R or S? I hit the ball decently well, but don't have a ton of speed. 7 iron around 145-150 carry.  .driver around 240-250 total (Driver shaft Aldila 110 Msi Rogue Stiff).

Any help would be appreciated! 

The MPF Pro run a stiff regular.  I have that in my KE4 TC 4W and 21* HyWay UW.  They are a more mid trajectory shaft.  The irons shafts are $21.99.  I have Mitsubishi MMT 70g R flex in my irons and we have similar distances.  7i 145-155.  Great shafts.  The Score TT is about 115 grams.  The Mitsubishi Kuro Kage shafts ($24.99) would be less stiff and may give you better launch and spin.  The MPF shafts are high quality shafts but I would say try the MPF and KK shafts in the 6i and 7i or 7i and 8i and see which one feels and performs better.  

The TS1-IMs are remarkable on toe hits and thin shots. I hit SEVERAL shots the past round where I audibly said "that's so bad" based on contact on the face only to have the ball travel about 95% of the distance. In each case I still caught the green. Unbelievable. Either my old irons were very punishing (Ben Hogan PTxPros) or these are super forgiving....probably a little of both. 

• Like 2

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

1 hour ago, vandyfan said:

The TS1-IMs are remarkable on toe hits and thin shots. I hit SEVERAL shots the past round where I audibly said "that's so bad" based on contact on the face only to have the ball travel about 95% of the distance. In each case I still caught the green. Unbelievable. Either my old irons were very punishing (Ben Hogan PTxPros) or these are super forgiving....probably a little of both. 

I’ve had the TS1-IM 7i, 9i, and 4i for a couple weeks now. I have experienced the same thing on mishits, they still just fly almost like a well stuck shot. It’s pretty impressive. 

They don’t feel as soft, nice as my ZX5s but I think the overall forgiveness is probably worth it. 

They got all the TS1-IMs back in stock today so I have the rest of the set on order. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sp4zRX said:

I’ve had the TS1-IM 7i, 9i, and 4i for a couple weeks now. I have experienced the same thing on mishits, they still just fly almost like a well stuck shot. It’s pretty impressive. 

They don’t feel as soft, nice as my ZX5s but I think the overall forgiveness is probably worth it. 

They got all the TS1-IMs back in stock today so I have the rest of the set on order. 

I saw that today. I think I’m going to order the IMs as well For the crazy good miss hit results I’ve had. Aaaaand if they do come out with a DBM TS4…I’ll buy those too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vandyfan said:

The Hogan designs from the last 10 years or so, have long hosels which among other details promotes high AVCOG's and short C-dimensions, making them unfriendly for anything in the bottom of the face and towards the toe.  The one design from the them that the Golfworks was able to measure, had an AVCOG at .920" and a C-dimension at 1.100".  (Yikes)  Contrast that with the Maltby TS1-im at .788" and 1.462"

• Like 3

21 hours ago, vandyfan said:

If you are having an off day, the TS1-IM can mask a lot of garbage. The small changes from the TS! really add up. 

The Hogan PTxPros on the other hand will murder you on a bad day. BUT, are awesome when flushed. Just such a small relatively sized sweet spot.

• Like 1

Hello Maltby enthusiasts,

Coming back for some help.  I have a set of TM SIM (the original non-OS variety) irons I replaced the shafts on in 2023 - went from the 90g KBS MAX to FST 125 in the AW, PW, 9, 8, 7 irons and FST 115 in the 6 & 5 irons.  I trimmed the FST shafts to a S+ designation.  The new shafts have been much more accurate and a better feel for me with the added weight.  I hit them just as far as the KBS.

The AW/PW/9 are solid clubs and are really consistent on carry distance.  The velocity slot starts in the 8i and up.  I get the occasional 7i that carries 185 instead of 175 and the occasional 8i that goes 170 instead of 160.  I've really ruined a few par 3's with the long miss over the pin.

Do you think a 1025 carbon steel faced iron without a velocity slot would be more repeatable?  Now that the Maltby TS2 is down to $40/head, I'm considering buying a set and shafting them with some Project X IO pulls.  I need to move fast if that's the recommendation, as it looks like the TS2 PW is already sold out.  I'd use a standard 50degree Maltby wedge as the GW.

I love the forgiveness of the SIMs, but I really need something that doesn't get that PXG-style super flusher with lower spin.  I recently replaced my 4iron with a KE4 MAX that I built and was impressed with the head quality for that $30 unit.

I recently did a Callaway fitting at the club and was right on the S/X line once again on the iron shafts - good to have that validation.  Thank you all so much!