2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Maltby TS2

Popeye64

6 hours ago, Nels55 said:

Do you find that the KE4 3 wood plays similarly to the KE4 driver?  I really like my KE4 driver and I am not even carrying a three wood at the moment.  I have several 3 woods but I have found that I hit my 3 hybrid considerably better and close to the same the distance or probably farther on average lol.  Anyway I feel like the KE4 driver has less tendency to hook then the 3 woods that I have and I am wondering if the KE4 3 wood might be similar in that area?

I don't have a tendency to hook anything. The KE4 FW for me have just a slight fade to them if anything. Most shots go very straight. They have a feel that's different than the Driver. Sound is also different. Face feels very hot. Ball leaps off the face and when flushed feels like you barely hit the ball. 

So it's kind of tough to say it plays like the driver as I'm a feel and sound player as much as flight. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Nels55 said:

Do you find that the KE4 3 wood plays similarly to the KE4 driver?  I really like my KE4 driver and I am not even carrying a three wood at the moment.  I have several 3 woods but I have found that I hit my 3 hybrid considerably better and close to the same the distance or probably farther on average lol.  Anyway I feel like the KE4 driver has less tendency to hook then the 3 woods that I have and I am wondering if the KE4 3 wood might be similar in that area?

I actually feel the opposite about the driver I had a hard time turning it over until I adjusted the adapter multiple different ways. 

I found the fairway to be perfect. Not a hook machine at all. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/14/2022 at 7:44 PM, Popeye64 said:

So I purchased the Maltby Pure Track SS putter shaft. Thier version of a stability shaft but 1/4 or 1/5 the price.

Popeye, how do you like the weight of the Pure Track shaft   I paused when I saw that it weighed in at 265 grams...  The Stability weighs 102 and the KBS CTs are at 124.

Ping G400 Max, Ping Tour 65R
Ping G425 5W w/Alta S

Ping i200 5-U w/SteelFiber fc90R

Ping Glide 3 54/12 & 58/6
Odyssey O-Works 330M Black 

15 minutes ago, Birddog2 said:

Popeye, how do you like the weight of the Pure Track shaft   I paused when I saw that it weighed in at 265 grams...  The Stability weighs 102 and the KBS CTs are at 124.

I like to add a lot of weight to my putter grips with the Super Stroke weight ports. So an over all heavy putter doesn't bother me. 

The Pure Track shaft played at 35 loses some of that weight..  unfortunately didn't weigh it when I trimmed it. But the putter with the weight in that shaft and not in the grip feels well balanced. 

I will swap out my PTM-5 with the Pure Track and my Bettinardi Queen Bee.. which is conventionally setup and I don't say.. wow what a difference. 

I have yet to putt on real greens and should have some opportunity this week. I will say this. The ball seems to come off the face quickly with the PTM-5. The Queen B also has that hot face feel. So speed wise I think the two are well matched. My Tour IX doesn't feel any where near as hot as these two. Neither does the TM Spider. 

If you want to experiment with a weighted shaft my advice is to jump all over the Pure Track as it's so darn inexpensive. 

• Like 1

I ordered a KE4 3 wood head this morning.  LOL it looks like Aerotech no longer makes wood shafts so I will have to come up with something else.  I do have a few wood shafts around here so maybe I will try and see if I can find something that I like.  I am curious if anyone has any idea if there is a shaft would play similar to the Aerotech SS65 shaft?

2 minutes ago, offwhite said:

Just curious if I missed it or if anyone has an address picture of the new maltby max milled wedges? Seems to be the only view missing from their website…

Are you talking about a view from address by the golfer holding the club? If so, I’m not sure I’ve ever seen that from Golfworks. 

53 minutes ago, offwhite said:

Yes. Or just a top down view. It’s a strange angle to leave out, but I’ve seen it for the woods and irons, just not the wedges.

Once some of these guys get them maybe they can post that view for you @Popeye64?

I have really liked TSW so not sure I’d go the route of the Max wedge 

Edited by Colej

6 hours ago, Nels55 said:

I ordered a KE4 3 wood head this morning.  LOL it looks like Aerotech no longer makes wood shafts so I will have to come up with something else.  I do have a few wood shafts around here so maybe I will try and see if I can find something that I like.  I am curious if anyone has any idea if there is a shaft would play similar to the Aerotech SS65 shaft?

Give eBay a look!

Edited by ode

Maltby really does make some extremely solid stuff. For a players cavity I've always found the DBMs super hard to beat, I still have a set shafted up next to my desk that still look brand new that I've played for a looooong time. One of the better feeling and looking irons at address that I've ever come across.

Bag stolen...we shall rebuild!  We have rebuilt!

Razr Fit Xtreme 10.5 Miyazaki JDL

Razr Fit Xtreme 4 wood Aldila Trinity

Searching for a Hybrid

Maltby DBM 4-PW Recoil Prototype 125's

52-56-60 Cleveland Tour Van Forged Modus 120 S

Old AF TM Spider 

They are gorgeous... I'm saying it again. Simply beautiful in hand. 

In comparing the new Max Wedge heads to the older M Series + you can see the lineage. Longer continous rocker sole. Not relieved like the TSW at all,  but holding true to the M Series. The two sole options are clearly evident by eye. Even though it's .90 vs 1.05 by eye it's clearly visible. 

The Max has adopted the TSW shorter hosel in a departure from the M Series traditional length.  Scoring lines go almost to the edge. Last month I tested the INDI wedge and they went right to the edge. Looked funny to me... These stop shy and look better to my eye. 

Holding them up to the M Series you see how similar the over all shapes are. Profiles seem nearly identical. 

The changeable weights are a really cool look but I'm not sure how much you can change swingweight. But you could add some lead powder in the little holes. If you keep the powder the same level you could easily add the lead and put the screws back in. The screws might raise up a little but you could probably really effect swing weight. 

For shafts I'm going to use a RTi 105 S as it should be a very popular wedge option. I also have a new 110 Spin Wedge shaft. I'll compare them to my existing TSW and M Series plus in the Sim to compare spin rates. An early tester of the 110 is seeing a 1000 rpm increase over his R300 wedge shafts. He built his 110 spin wedge shaft to duplicate the R300 flex specs... so they do work. 

I don't expect a huge jump in spin but more of what I've seen as of late. 

A big benefit will be the bendabilty of the satin chrome finish. That was a big drawback to the M Series. 

I can already se myself dreading bag chatter on the finish. I really can't say enough about how good they look. 

It's making me think about the upcoming TS3...

In the photos you can see comparisons to the TSW and the M Series. Also are a few pictures of the wedge minus the screws. There is room know there but not a ton. 

Can't wait for tomorrow. Hopefully I can get on the Trackman monitor vs the Flightscope. 

20220403_163207.jpg

20220403_162510.jpg

20220403_162444.jpg

20220403_162355.jpg

20220403_162145.jpg

20220403_162004.jpg

20220403_162000.jpg

20220403_161951.jpg

Edited by Popeye64
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Is it me or does it seem like these MAX wedges have either significant offset or the hosel flow to leading edge isn't smooth?

• Like 1

Maltby KE4 TC Max UST V2 HL Stiff
Callaway Rogue 3W Synergy 60

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 19*, 22* Matrix HX3 White Tie
Taylormade Burner TP Japan Issue 5-PW C-Taper Lite Stiff

Titleist SM7 52*/S, 58*/D DG120 Stiff
<Searching>

19 minutes ago, achappy said:

Is it me or does it seem like these MAX wedges have either significant offset or the hosel flow to leading edge isn't smooth?

There is a small bit of offset but the leading edge of the wedge is in line with the hosel. It may be some of the angles but I think it sits as it should. You do have to remember.... this is a FRIENDLY wedge, that anyone should be able to play. It's not meant to be a hard-core, negative offset wedge. 

• Like 1

So... I know it's just one range session and all but... WOW. 

I was pressed for time and couldn't get to the Sim. But I did get to a soggy outdoor grass range. 

I'm trying to decide if it's just a honeymoon period or maybe they are just that good. 

As a player i gravitated to the M Series + as needing just a little help. The MG Tour are that hard core wedge that my Ego wants to play. My turf laying over swing needs more help hence why I loved the M Series.

I was a fan of the TSW as that was a nice compromise between the M Series +/ MG Tour. Since the M Series + was going away I embraced the TSW. 

Now with essentially the return of the M Series profile but in a Super Model package.. Max Milled.. I'm all in. 

Having the 52 setup in the 105 RTi iron shaft and the 56 in the 110 spin wedge it gave me two different looks and approaches. 105 shaft was trimmed as an 8 iron.  

The 52 with the 105 iron shaft is great. Did everything I asked for,,, overall just seemed like a great wedge setup. Felt great, nice flight, super consistent.. But the 56 in the RTi 110 Spin Wedge was a blow me away setup. Such an amazing feel. The Club just glides through the muddy turf. I only hit one shot fat which for me in these conditions is a miracle. Feel was just amazing. The kind of feel that you just can't wait to hit the next ball. Ball seemed to rocket off the face. Tough to judge distance in 45° wether and high winds but the ball was coming straight down.  Like I said the 52 combo was excellent. The 56 was flat out amazing. Normally a full swing 56° is not exactly my friend. Admittedly it's not my strongest club. This setup seemed easy to hit. Like way easy... 

It was so nasty out that I didn't even try the 60°. 

Since the 110 shafts are prototypes I don't have another or I would be immediately reshafting the 52. 

I hope to have some comparison spin numbers tomorrow but the first range session was just a WOW fest. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ode said:

It's the 56, looks odd from the sole view in this pic👇

20220403_162145.webp.2405490ee699073e248a8ef757dd0a82.webp

Yeah and looking at that address pics you can really see it.  Offset that then transitions out to the leading edge.  Not a smooth look. 

• Like 1

Maltby KE4 TC Max UST V2 HL Stiff
Callaway Rogue 3W Synergy 60

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 19*, 22* Matrix HX3 White Tie
Taylormade Burner TP Japan Issue 5-PW C-Taper Lite Stiff

Titleist SM7 52*/S, 58*/D DG120 Stiff
<Searching>

1 hour ago, Popeye64 said:

The TSW and the Max Milled are very close in overall shape. I havent looked at dimensions but by eye they are very close. With that said.. the new scoring lines across the face makes the Max Milled head look much larger. So here are a bunch of views. 

20220404_193926.jpg

20220404_193909.jpg

20220404_193900.jpg

20220404_193843.jpg

Thx for the pics!

For the most part the Max look great.....but the transition from hosel to leading edge = not so much, there is a pronounced curve there...it doesn't look right. 

Did the M Series + have that same curve?

Also what does the Max weigh without the weights in?

Edited by ode

10 hours ago, AutomationGolfer said:

I ordered some STI2s a couple months ago and a couple of my irons when I transition into the down swing, I feel and hear a slight almost crack sound. It seems to be near the hosel when I tried just waggling the shaft around but I’m not 100% sure, could this be an epoxy issue? Anyone ever have this issue?

Do they have the Score shafts? My PTMs with Score shafts will “creak” every now and then. 

On 4/2/2022 at 5:49 PM, TallGuy90 said:

Is there any real advantage to waiting for the KE4 max over the TS2?

I have the STi irons, which are super similar to the KE4 Max. (Note: the STi, NOT the STi2). I have the TS2 irons too.  They are different in turf interaction.  If you are steep, the Maxes are likely better.  If you sweep or pick, then get the TS2.

Im sort of in between steep and sweep.  I like the way the STi rarely sticks in the turf, but I also like that the TS2 gets a little deeper and so the impact spot is not low on the face, which it often is on the STi.

The softer your turf, the more you might want the Max.

Edited by Snowman9000
clear up confusion between STi and STi2

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

33 minutes ago, Snowman9000 said:

I have the STi irons, which are super similar to the KE4 Max, and I have the TS2 irons too.  They are different in turf interaction.  If you are steep, the Maxes are likely better.  If you sweep or pick, then get the TS2.

Im sort of in between steep and sweep.  I like the way the STi rarely sticks in the turf, but I also like that the TS2 gets a little deeper and so the impact spot is not low on the face, which it often is on the STi.

The softer your turf, the more you might want the Max.

I have STi2 currently. I have grown to like them more but it’s always a love hate relationship with them. 

11 hours ago, AutomationGolfer said:

I ordered some STI2s a couple months ago and a couple of my irons when I transition into the down swing, I feel and hear a slight almost crack sound. It seems to be near the hosel when I tried just waggling the shaft around but I’m not 100% sure, could this be an epoxy issue? Anyone ever have this issue?

When you installed the ferrules did you epoxy them on?