I'm officially done with stiff shafts in the irons

wkuo3

Don't give up too soon. I'm 66 and thought I was done with steel shafts for good about 5 years ago. Since adopting the Brian Sparks (senior) swing, I have not only picked up some lost distance, my after-golf pain is much reduced. The ZZ LItes in my Eye 2 irons feel good again. I'm so relaxed in my arms/shoulders (all over actually) that I barely feel the impact.

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

Don't give up too soon. I'm 66 and thought I was done with steel shafts for good about 5 years ago. Since adopting the Brian Sparks (senior) swing, I have not only picked up some lost distance, my after-golf pain is much reduced. The ZZ LItes in my Eye 2 irons feel good again. I'm so relaxed in my arms/shoulders (all over actually) that I barely feel the impact.

Your advice is much appreciated.

I'm not giving up on steel shafts in irons, just not the heavy and stiff ones I used to game when I was younger.

I'll toy with some sub 100 gm. steel shafts this Winter as I don;t find it fun to golf is the rain and the soggy fairways any longer. Some of the guys I golfed with for decades had given up Winter golf long ago after they passed the number 60..

Glad to see that you're having fun with your favorite irons. I might give my sets of Ping another try later.

They've got super light weight steel shafts now. Check out the Zelos brand from Nippon shafts.

I'm not giving up on steel shafts in irons, just not the heavy and stiff ones I used to game when I was younger.

I'll toy with some sub 100 gm. steel shafts this Winter as I don;t find it fun to golf is the rain and the soggy fairways any longer. Some of the guys I golfed with for decades had given up Winter golf long ago after they passed the number 60..

Glad to see that you're having fun with your favorite irons. I might give my sets of Ping another try later.

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

They've got super light weight steel shafts now. Check out the Zelos brand from Nippon shafts.

Thanks, If I spend that kind of fortune for my golf game, it'll be after all my kids out of their PHD program. Or, I'll be tight with my golf budget after the new shaft purchase ( all dressed up and no place to go.....LOL).

Only had one set of NS Pro shaft in the past, did not like it a whole lot because I was younger with better golf swing speed.

wkuo3: Off-topic - If your kids get their PhD in the sciences, it may not cost you much. I am a university research professor (microbiologist), and my grad students (as others in science/engineering) get a $15,000 stipend (graduate research assistantship) + tuition is waived (2 yrs for MS, 3 yrs for PhD). I wish I had a deal like that when I got mine.

Thanks, If I spend that kind of fortune for my golf game, it'll be after all my kids out of their PHD program. Or, I'll be tight with my golf budget after the new shaft purchase ( all dressed up and no place to go.....LOL).

Only had one set of NS Pro shaft in the past, did not like it a whole lot because I was younger with better golf swing speed.

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

wkuo3: Off-topic - If your kids get their PhD in the sciences, it may not cost you much. I am a university research professor (microbiologist), and my grad students (as others in science/engineering) get a $15,000 stipend (graduate research assistantship) + tuition is waived (2 yrs for MS, 3 yrs for PhD). I wish I had a deal like that when I got mine.

Believe me, we had checked, before and during the process of getting into the program.

The tuition assistance program is for the dirt poor , and the scholarship is almost none existence.

The best we could do was get in some program so my kids would pay the In State rate instead of the out of State rate Which comes up to be approx 12% saving of the total tuition, not to mention living cost, in and around a major metropolitan area. I could change 3 nice vehicles per year ( from just only one of the account ).

I'm not complaining, in fact I'm very proud that my children took our advice and ran with it. I'd rather do without vacations and nice things in life for awhile than watching my kids working at a non-skilled work like some of their high school friends ended up to be ( with a useless college degree )..

When we went to college, We could work 3 months in the Summer full time ( sometimes 2 jobs ) to afford the college tuition for the next year. In the old days grad schools had programs like you mentioned, and enough stipend to pay for rent and food.

Those programs are far and few in between now. My kids are not in Post Doc. so no stipend from research program.

It came as a shock to my wife and I, because we thought we had prepared for our children's higher education.

We are very happy that our children came out to be who they are, and hopefully they'll be a better citizen than their parents. My only wish is for them to find something they love to work at, have enough to spare to do the things they love to do in life.

As for golf and other things, they can wait. I'll get to them if I'm still around. If not, I'm sure I won't be missing too much.

• 1 year later...

What age did people on here finally except they were losing distance? I'm 55. Still playing Blades with a Dynamic gold stiff shaft. I have lost 8 yards on all my irons this year. I'm a 2 handicap and I held it together this year because I have a good short game. Most of my second shots we're coming up 5 to 8 yards shorter and missed more greens than I used to. I started clubbing up and started hitting a 7, where I used to hit 8

I tried for the hell of it this summer the Hogan PTX pro irons with the UST graphite regular shafts, 59 grams. I was shocked at how good these clubs felt. They were just two demo clubs but I didn't want to give them back.

I hit them further and they were just so sweet feeling.

I haven't pulled the trigger mainly because of ego. Also, I think that I went to a regular shafted driver and it didn't seem to make much difference.

What is the popular opinion of guys who finally switched?

> @TimK1 said:

> What age did people on here finally except they were losing distance? I'm 55. Still playing Blades with a Dynamic gold stiff shaft. I have lost 8 yards on all my irons this year. I'm a 2 handicap and I held it together this year because I have a good short game. Most of my second shots we're coming up 5 to 8 yards shorter and missed more greens than I used to. I started clubbing up and started hitting a 7, where I used to hit 8

>

> I tried for the **** of it this summer the Hogan PTX pro irons with the UST graphite regular shafts, 59 grams. I was shocked at how good these clubs felt. They were just two demo clubs but I didn't want to give them back.

> I hit them further and they were just so sweet feeling.

> I haven't pulled the trigger mainly because of ego. Also, I think that I went to a regular shafted driver and it didn't seem to make much difference.

>

> What is the popular opinion of guys who finally switched?

Like yourself, I played S-300 in my irons up until my mid to late 50's. I started losing distance and also developed elbow pain. I reshafted my irons with UST Recoils in regular and instantly regained the lost yardage while easing my joint issue. The loss of 50 grams of total weight did not effect my swing tempo which surprised me somewhat. Switching really saved my game. I'm 65 and play to a 3 handicap.

> @raggal62 said:

> > @TimK1 said:

> > What age did people on here finally except they were losing distance? I'm 55. Still playing Blades with a Dynamic gold stiff shaft. I have lost 8 yards on all my irons this year. I'm a 2 handicap and I held it together this year because I have a good short game. Most of my second shots we're coming up 5 to 8 yards shorter and missed more greens than I used to. I started clubbing up and started hitting a 7, where I used to hit 8

> >

> > I tried for the **** of it this summer the Hogan PTX pro irons with the UST graphite regular shafts, 59 grams. I was shocked at how good these clubs felt. They were just two demo clubs but I didn't want to give them back.

> > I hit them further and they were just so sweet feeling.

> > I haven't pulled the trigger mainly because of ego. Also, I think that I went to a regular shafted driver and it didn't seem to make much difference.

> >

> > What is the popular opinion of guys who finally switched?

>

> Like yourself, I played S-300 in my irons up until my mid to late '50s. I started losing distance and also developed elbow pain. I re shafted my irons with UST Recoils in regular and instantly regained the lost yardage while easing my joint issue. The loss of 50 grams of total weight did not affect my swing tempo which surprised me somewhat. Switching really saved my game. I'm 65 and play to a 3 handicap.

I know in my heart, I have to change. I had the clubs for two weeks and hit them a lot on the range. They had a very easy feel but solid at the same time. I do not like changing equipment. I have had my irons for 8 years. Once I have a set I like I keep them for a long time. I hate buying clubs. I hate all the technical stuff. When I learned how to play it was all steel shaft, regular or stiff. That's it. Graphite was complete garbage when it started showing up in irons. So I always had it in my head it was crap.

Then this summer I was saying that exact thing to a guy on the range and he says, you have graphite shafted woods, how are they? It kind of hit me then. I had been playing graphite woods for 10 years so what is the difference.

My cousin said the same thing to me this past summer also. You're not getting younger. He switched three years ago.

> @TimK1 said:

> What age did people on here finally except they were losing distance? I'm 55. Still playing Blades with a Dynamic gold stiff shaft. I have lost 8 yards on all my irons this year. I'm a 2 handicap and I held it together this year because I have a good short game. Most of my second shots we're coming up 5 to 8 yards shorter and missed more greens than I used to. I started clubbing up and started hitting a 7, where I used to hit 8

>

> I tried for the **** of it this summer the Hogan PTX pro irons with the UST graphite regular shafts, 59 grams. I was shocked at how good these clubs felt. They were just two demo clubs but I didn't want to give them back.

> I hit them further and they were just so sweet feeling.

> I haven't pulled the trigger mainly because of ego. Also, I think that I went to a regular shafted driver and it didn't seem to make much difference.

>

> What is the popular opinion of guys who finally switched?

I just turned 56 in early October. I've been leaking distance slowly over the last few years, both off the tee and with irons. Some of that is due to injuries catching up with me (knee and back), some is probably from a lack of working out, and some is age. There's also an aspect of MG launch conditions changing, as I seem to be spinning the ball less than in the past, such that I need to increase my launch angle with driver.

I was an X flex guy with both irons and woods, had to face the reality a couple years ago that I need to stick with stiff for sure with the irons. The stronger stuff is just too much work these days. I've dropped maybe a half flex in woods, we'll see how that progresses. I used to have control trouble playing Dynamic Stiff or DGS300 from the 80s in persimmons, but now it's not a problem.

Also have a set of graphite shafted Golden Rams, that may be coming more permanently also. I went with Aldila NV105 shafts, quite a weight drop, but not as large as it could have been.

The weight is important to pay attention to as you progress IMHO

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

The shaft I tried this past summer was a UST recoil, graphite 59 grams. I was a dramatic change from anything I ever tried. It didn't affect my swing at all. They were very easy to hit and felt very solid. The impact was just as good or better than my current S300 dynamic gold shaft. That's why I was so surprised at how much I liked them.

My current clubs feel like I have to work too hard now. I keep thinking it is me or that it is in my head or I just wanted to like them. Once I kept coming up short on my approach shots I started to wonder. I made sure it wasn't my swing which I don't believe it is. I still hit the ball right on the sweet spot all the time and solid. It goes where it is supposed to. So I couldn't blame it on that. I have Mizuno Mp-69 blades now. I have had them since 2012. My cousin is 70 now. He switched three years ago and he keeps telling me that it is only gonna get worse and to make the switch now.

I'll probably do it. I'm keeping my current set so I can always go back if I want.

I want these clubs for a long time. Taking me right into old age. I hate buying new clubs and like to stick with what works and feels good. Before the Mizuno's I had my set of irons for 25 years. I think it causes me to over-analyze a bit.

I went with Recoil graphite, if OP likes his clubs, just reshaft with something softer....PX6 and Apex 5 at 60+, seems pretty stout shafts

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

> @TimK1 said:

> > @raggal62 said:

> > I'm looking at the Golfworks catalog and it lists the Recoil 460 ESX iron shafts @ 59 grams in the F2 flex. These are senior flex. Are those the shafts you demoed?

>

> I believe they were F3 regular flex. They were 70 grams, not 59. Not sure where I got the 59 from. I just went and looked them up. The KBS Tour 90 is 95 grams in the steel. I think I might give those a try before I commit to anything.

I went and hit last night in the indoor practice facility. ( We already have 8 inches of snow on the ground ) We have several domes around here that are 80 to 100 yards long. I hit my Mizuno's so good and pure still but have just lost distance. The shaft is 130 grams. I looked in getting them shafted with different shafts but the shop here wanted more than it would cost for a new set of irons. I think they just didn't want to do it.

>

>

> @TimK1 said:

> > @TimK1 said:

> > > @raggal62 said:

> > > I'm looking at the Golfworks catalog and it lists the Recoil 460 ESX iron shafts @ 59 grams in the F2 flex. These are senior flex. Are those the shafts you demoed?

> >

> > I believe they were F3 regular flex. They were 70 grams, not 59. Not sure where I got the 59 from. I just went and looked them up. The KBS Tour 90 is 95 grams in the steel. I think I might give those a try before I commit to anything.

> I went and hit last night in the indoor practice facility. ( We already have 8 inches of snow on the ground ) We have several domes around here that are 80 to 100 yards long. I hit my Mizuno's so good and pure still but have just lost distance. The shaft is 130 grams. I looked in getting them shafted with different shafts but the shop here wanted more than it would cost for a new set of irons. I think they just didn't want to do it.

> >

> >

>

>

You are more than correct on the fact the shop did not want to do the reshaft. Back when we were in the business here we ran into that a lot. Shops did not want to do the job if the shafts did not come from them or you were doing a switch job. We would do them in a heartbeat. We would charge them a fair price and in the long run got lots of repeat business on repairs and purchases. I think we charged them $40 to do a set and after ferules and epoxy we made basically $35 off the job. I still do a little work like that from time to time in my little shop out back for friends and old customers.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

> @GSDriver said:

> I went with Recoil graphite, if OP likes his clubs, just reshaft with something softer....PX6 and Apex 5 at 60+, seems pretty stout shafts

can't beat recoil, I'm 62 and will never consider going back to a heavy steel (or even lite steel) shaft. You can get firmness in graphite, and who needs the weight when you're a senior.

> @"BIG STU" said:

> > @TimK1 said:

> > > @TimK1 said:

> > > > @raggal62 said:

> > > > I'm looking at the Golfworks catalog and it lists the Recoil 460 ESX iron shafts @ 59 grams in the F2 flex. These are senior flex. Are those the shafts you demoed?

> > >

> > > I believe they were F3 regular flex. They were 70 grams, not 59. Not sure where I got the 59 from. I just went and looked them up. The KBS Tour 90 is 95 grams in the steel. I think I might give those a try before I commit to anything.

> > I went and hit last night in the indoor practice facility. ( We already have 8 inches of snow on the ground ) We have several domes around here that are 80 to 100 yards long. I hit my Mizuno's so good and pure still but have just lost distance. The shaft is 130 grams. I looked in getting them shafted with different shafts but the shop here wanted more than it would cost for a new set of irons. I think they just didn't want to do it.

> > >

> > >

> >

> >

>

> You are more than correct on the fact the shop did not want to do the reshaft. Back when we were in the business here we ran into that a lot. Shops did not want to do the job if the shafts did not come from them or you were doing a switch job. We would do them in a heartbeat. We would charge them a fair price and in the long run got lots of repeat business on repairs and purchases. I think we charged them $40 to do a set and after ferules and epoxy we made basically $35 off the job. I still do a little work like that from time to time in my little shop out back for friends and old customers.

Yeah,

They told me 100 dollars per shaft. I basically laughed and walked away. All they were interested in was selling me their stuff.

> @mocokid said:

> > @GSDriver said:

> > I went with Recoil graphite, if OP likes his clubs, just reshaft with something softer....PX6 and Apex 5 at 60+, seems pretty stout shafts

>

> can't beat recoil, I'm 62 and will never consider going back to a heavy steel (or even lite steel) shaft. You can get firmness in graphite, and who needs the weight when you're a senior.

I don't consider myself a senior yet. I'm 55 but it's not like time is going to reverse. I'm gonna make the switch but I'll wait until we get past the stupid Xmas season.

> @TimK1 said:

> > @"BIG STU" said:

> > > @TimK1 said:

> > > > @TimK1 said:

> > > > > @raggal62 said:

> > > > > I'm looking at the Golfworks catalog and it lists the Recoil 460 ESX iron shafts @ 59 grams in the F2 flex. These are senior flex. Are those the shafts you demoed?

> > > >

> > > > I believe they were F3 regular flex. They were 70 grams, not 59. Not sure where I got the 59 from. I just went and looked them up. The KBS Tour 90 is 95 grams in the steel. I think I might give those a try before I commit to anything.

> > > I went and hit last night in the indoor practice facility. ( We already have 8 inches of snow on the ground ) We have several domes around here that are 80 to 100 yards long. I hit my Mizuno's so good and pure still but have just lost distance. The shaft is 130 grams. I looked in getting them shafted with different shafts but the shop here wanted more than it would cost for a new set of irons. I think they just didn't want to do it.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> > You are more than correct on the fact the shop did not want to do the reshaft. Back when we were in the business here we ran into that a lot. Shops did not want to do the job if the shafts did not come from them or you were doing a switch job. We would do them in a heartbeat. We would charge them a fair price and in the long run got lots of repeat business on repairs and purchases. I think we charged them $40 to do a set and after ferules and epoxy we made basically $35 off the job. I still do a little work like that from time to time in my little shop out back for friends and old customers.

>

> Yeah,

> They told me 100 dollars per shaft. I basically laughed and walked away. All they were interested in was selling me their stuff.

Coupla places have recoil 660 /680 (R or S) for $25/shaft. You can do yourself IMHO.

> @mocokid said:

> > @GSDriver said:

> > I went with Recoil graphite, if OP likes his clubs, just reshaft with something softer....PX6 and Apex 5 at 60+, seems pretty stout shafts

>

> can't beat recoil, I'm 62 and will never consider going back to a heavy steel (or even lite steel) shaft. You can get firmness in graphite, and who needs the weight when you're a senior.

LOL we are the same age--- But I am still swing those lightweight Hogan Apex 2 steel shafts. But I will wholeheartedly agree the old ProPel and even Apex 4 shafts are a little rough for me these days

> @TimK1 said:

> > @"BIG STU" said:

> > > @TimK1 said:

> > > > @TimK1 said:

> > > > > @raggal62 said:

> > > > > I'm looking at the Golfworks catalog and it lists the Recoil 460 ESX iron shafts @ 59 grams in the F2 flex. These are senior flex. Are those the shafts you demoed?

> > > >

> > > > I believe they were F3 regular flex. They were 70 grams, not 59. Not sure where I got the 59 from. I just went and looked them up. The KBS Tour 90 is 95 grams in the steel. I think I might give those a try before I commit to anything.

> > > I went and hit last night in the indoor practice facility. ( We already have 8 inches of snow on the ground ) We have several domes around here that are 80 to 100 yards long. I hit my Mizuno's so good and pure still but have just lost distance. The shaft is 130 grams. I looked in getting them shafted with different shafts but the shop here wanted more than it would cost for a new set of irons. I think they just didn't want to do it.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> > You are more than correct on the fact the shop did not want to do the reshaft. Back when we were in the business here we ran into that a lot. Shops did not want to do the job if the shafts did not come from them or you were doing a switch job. We would do them in a heartbeat. We would charge them a fair price and in the long run got lots of repeat business on repairs and purchases. I think we charged them $40 to do a set and after ferules and epoxy we made basically $35 off the job. I still do a little work like that from time to time in my little shop out back for friends and old customers.

>

> Yeah,

> They told me 100 dollars per shaft. I basically laughed and walked away. All they were interested in was selling me their stuff.

Yep and trying to skin someone like that is not good business practice--- Bet you will not go in there again even to buy a bag of tees. ---- The recession did us in back in 08 most of our customers were local retirees living on SS and stock portfolios and they were scared stiff to spend anything. The tourist trade dried up for us too because a lot of folks could not afford to take a vacation and if they did they could not play golf too.

> @"BIG STU" said:

> > @TimK1 said:

> > > @"BIG STU" said:

> > > > @TimK1 said:

> > > > > @TimK1 said:

> > > > > > @raggal62 said:

> > > > > > I'm looking at the Golfworks catalog and it lists the Recoil 460 ESX iron shafts @ 59 grams in the F2 flex. These are senior flex. Are those the shafts you demoed?

> > > > >

> > > > > I believe they were F3 regular flex. They were 70 grams, not 59. Not sure where I got the 59 from. I just went and looked them up. The KBS Tour 90 is 95 grams in the steel. I think I might give those a try before I commit to anything.

> > > > I went and hit last night in the indoor practice facility. ( We already have 8 inches of snow on the ground ) We have several domes around here that are 80 to 100 yards long. I hit my Mizuno's so good and pure still but have just lost distance. The shaft is 130 grams. I looked in getting them shafted with different shafts but the shop here wanted more than it would cost for a new set of irons. I think they just didn't want to do it.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > You are more than correct on the fact the shop did not want to do the reshaft. Back when we were in the business here we ran into that a lot. Shops did not want to do the job if the shafts did not come from them or you were doing a switch job. We would do them in a heartbeat. We would charge them a fair price and in the long run got lots of repeat business on repairs and purchases. I think we charged them $40 to do a set and after ferules and epoxy we made basically $35 off the job. I still do a little work like that from time to time in my little shop out back for friends and old customers.

> >

> > Yeah,

> > They told me 100 dollars per shaft. I basically laughed and walked away. All they were interested in was selling me their stuff.

>

> Yep and trying to skin someone like that is not good business practice--- Bet you will not go in there again even to buy a bag of tees. ---- The recession did us in back in 08 most of our customers were local retirees living on SS and stock portfolios and they were scared stiff to spend anything. The tourist trade dried up for us too because a lot of folks could not afford to take a vacation and if they did they could not play golf too.

No I won't.

If I want something now, I order online. I'll buy 1000 tees or 6 dozen balls online. I know what I want. I have never walked in there since. He kept trying to sell me MP4 Taylor made irons.

$100.00 per shaft????? I want a piece of that action. Absurd. Why one needs to learn how to DIY. Reshafting is not nearly as difficult as it's made out to be. Once one learns and understands the steps and procedures. Save a bunch of money, get the job done with exactitude, because you're the one doing it. Wouldn't let anyone mess around with my clubs. Plus, the testing and tinkering ramps up exponentially when one can do their own work. It's half the fun of playing at golf.

Graphite is definitely popular amongst the senior set. And if one has afflictions and infirmities, the only way to go. But if not, don't rule out lightweight steel. Graphite can have its own set of problems if one goes to light in weight (i.e overall club weight). I can attest to the fact. After performing my due diligence and testing with a demo club for almost a year. Going with ~73g graphites caused issues with dispersion, and feeling the club during the swing. Developed a case of the lefts (hooks) unless I throttled back my swing tempo. Think they are coming out this winter, with Nippon 950's from another set going in. It's a bit of tricky business determining what the optimum shaft weight is without a fair amount of testing IMHO. Outside, on the course, playing for real. One can always hit them good at the range and/or off mats. Don't understand how one can make a L/T decision on irons and shafts from a brief "fitting" or trackman session. Got to played for awhile for a set to show there true capabilities. Or lack thereof.

I'll save the graphites for when I get old. At 68, not close to being there yet. If I want to hit the ball further, will use a 6 iron rather than a 7. Distance issue solved.

• Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

> @Fellaheen51 said:

> $100.00 per shaft????? I want a piece of that action. Absurd. Why one needs to learn how to DIY. Reshafting is not nearly as difficult as it's made out to be. Once one learns and understands the steps and procedures. Save a bunch of money, get the job done with exactitude, because you're the one doing it. Wouldn't let anyone mess around with my clubs. Plus, the testing and tinkering ramps up exponentially when one can do their own work. It's half the fun of playing at golf.

Fella, that's exactly what got me started on the road of doing my own club work, as much as I could. I saw the shaft prices and knew what the local shop charged. They were actually pretty reasonable, but I knew I could do it for a lot less.

> @Fellaheen51 said:

> Graphite is definitely popular amongst the senior set. And if one has afflictions and infirmities, the only way to go. But if not, don't rule out lightweight steel. Graphite can have its own set of problems if one goes to light in weight (i.e overall club weight). I can attest to the fact. After performing my due diligence and testing with a demo club for almost a year. Going with ~73g graphites caused issues with dispersion, and feeling the club during the swing. Developed a case of the lefts (hooks) unless I throttled back my swing tempo. Think they are coming out this winter, with Nippon 950's from another set going in. It's a bit of tricky business determining what the optimum shaft weight is without a fair amount of testing IMHO. Outside, on the course, playing for real. One can always hit them good at the range and/or off mats. Don't understand how one can make a L/T decision on irons and shafts from a brief "fitting" or trackman session. Got to played for awhile for a set to show there true capabilities. Or lack thereof.

>

> I'll save the graphites for when I get old. At 68, not close to being there yet. If I want to hit the ball further, will use a 6 iron rather than a 7. Distance issue solved.

For my take, graphite is about shock absorption. It's not a distance thing. It's been sold as such by the same folks who tell you the new 28* 7 iron is lofted that way because of how they've moved the CG in the clubhead (sic).

Yeah. That must be it. /rolleyes

Graphite does indeed work for that vibration issue. And there are a fair number of options that provide decent shaft weight, for those who still want that.

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

@NRJyzr. Yep. I've perused the multitude of threads on the matter of loft (different day, same story) as well. What a bunch of blooey!! No sense even interacting with that crowd. Loft is loft, 28* is what it is regardless of the number stamped on the bottom. And that is the most important determinant of relative distance. What's so hard to understand? Same crowd that denigrates the mere mention of VCOG as a meaningful data point (the anti-MPF'ers). Best to go to about the task of figuring things out on your own. Observe what works, discard what doesn't. Which kinda gets back to this shaft weight thing. It's great when all the stars align, but sometimes that's nothing more than getting lucky. Before one even gets into the alchemy of longer playing lengths, higher SW's and appropriate lie angles. Tall stature with short arms syndrome. Seems as though I remember having some company with that one.

I never hooked the ball, evah. Always have played a high fade. Installed graphite, because, well, I'm old(er). Now have to really back off and be careful with my swing tempo or I'll hook the snot of the ball. Not liking it one bit. I want to be able to step on it if I want to without fear. Yeah, heavier graphite "may" do that. But I have a track record with ~100g steel and it's favorable. Never more striking than when I played the '99 Apex's with Nippon 950's some this fall. The differences in dispersion and control were telling.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

> @Fellaheen51 said:

> ...this shaft weight thing.

I had my much publicized (in certain WRX threads) dalliance with the NV105 shafts in Golden Rams. They worked amazingly well. The biggest problem I had with them was weight; dropping from 130g to 105g turned out to be problematic for me at times. Especially with the long irons, I fought some pretty big hooks in the 3-5 irons.

I may give them more bag time in 2020. I've recently backed off my usual D5 swingweight in irons, perhaps it's time to think about that with overall weight?

I can't go so far as some who say it's more important than flex, but I do believe it's very important. It's something about which I would urge caution for our recent seeker, @TimK1, in his quest to move from his DGS shafts. One must be careful in making a big drop in shaft weight.

I have also been surprised by how swing speed affects my distance these days. For me faster does not equal more distance. I can still swing a 7 iron 83-84 mph but my best distance comes at around 79-80 mph. Why? Because my swing becomes less controlled at anything over that. I don't think I am completely atypical, (I could be wrong thought..lol) so I think for many of us there are a number of adjustments to be made both related to and not related to equipment.

• Like 1

> @Fellaheen51 said:

> @NRJyzr. Yep. I've perused the multitude of threads on the matter of loft (different day, same story) as well. What a bunch of blooey!! No sense even interacting with that crowd. Loft is loft, 28* is what it is regardless of the number stamped on the bottom. And that is the most important determinant of relative distance. What's so hard to understand? Same crowd that denigrates the mere mention of VCOG as a meaningful data point (the anti-MPF'ers). Best to go to about the task of figuring things out on your own. Observe what works, discard what doesn't. Which kinda gets back to this shaft weight thing. It's great when all the stars align, but sometimes that's nothing more than getting lucky. Before one even gets into the alchemy of longer playing lengths, higher SW's and appropriate lie angles. Tall stature with short arms syndrome. Seems as though I remember having some company with that one.

>

> I never hooked the ball, evah. Always have played a high fade. Installed graphite, because, well, I'm old(er). Now have to really back off and be careful with my swing tempo or I'll hook the snot of the ball. Not liking it one bit. I want to be able to step on it if I want to without fear. Yeah, heavier graphite "may" do that. But I have a track record with ~100g steel and it's favorable. Never more striking than when I played the '99 Apex's with Nippon 950's some this fall. The differences in dispersion and control were telling.

Yep you nailed it----again. I do not hook the graphite in metal woods that much and I bent up and weighted my only hybrid to be hook proof for me. As far as graphite shafts in irons the only set I have are a set of KZGs I built for Bear about 3 years ago now with Swing Science 200 graphite shafts. Now when my back was hurt and I did not swing hard and turn good they worked pretty well for me. As soon as I healed up and started turning on the ball they became a hook machine. As you know I had a problem early on in my youth of rope hooking. I fear the hook. I will draw the ball some with certain clubs ONLY if I have to. For me the baby cut is the shot. Like you I could give two hoots less what number is stamped in the bottom of the club. Like you said I love it when the stars align. My Machogans were sorta a mistake. I had wanted to do a Apex shaft conversion for some time. I found a donor set of Directors with #2 shafts. They hit good. I put them in my signature set of VIPs and man o man did they hit good. I was not up on my Apex numbers at the time and Augie informed me I had put a set of senior shafts in them. I had already hit them and they were smooth. I told him I did not care if they were ladies shafts they were staying. Later on I installed a set of #3s in a set of Muirfields and they did not hit as well but ok. I ended up soft stepping them 1x and cut to length. They ended up fine. Yep you gotta experiment and that is part of the fun. I also agree a club may hit good on the range but then again it has to have it's "baptism by fire" so to speak by actual play on the course.

• Like 1