Are my shoulders too steep?

CH_18

Hi everyone, heres two (very dark) pics comparing my shoulder plane at the top of the backswing to follow through. Do i need to work on steepening the backswing plane or flattening the downswing? To my eye, the turn looks more 90 degree to my spine in the backswing, so would flattening the downswing be the answer? If so, how do i go about doing it, any drills?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any ideas what could be going wrong from the pics iteach or would you need to see the full swing? My misses are the typical high weak slices/cuts, occasional fat and shank from flipping

I said what’s wrong. Why I wouldn’t be able to tell you without seeing whole swing.

The tilt is to shift path more right and shallow it out to make it slice less. So like I said if you turned more level you’d hit it much worse

Cheers Dan, I managed to take a vid at the range tonight. One thing I've noticed in all my swings, no matter how different i swing it, my hips look dead! They dont open much (if at all) in the backswing and they feel and look dead in the downswing, as if they aren't doing anything. What you think? I've tried every drill and swing thought on here about the deep right hip but I just end up locking my leg straight.

Thanks Dan, yeah thats exactly what im doing, just independently straightening the rear leg. I cant turn in a way that forces me to move the hips correctly. Funnily enough in this range session i tried keeping the right arm straighter in the backswing hoping it will force the correct hip movement but i still couldnt get the motion, see vid, is it any closer?

I've attached a face on vid to see if you can see anything more. The lack of spine tilt looks an issue?

Here's a vid of the trail leg locking

[media=]

[/media]

Just curious, what flaw are you trying to fix in your ball flight? Your shaft gets down pretty close to it's address plane at impact which would result in the face staying pretty square to the path. I'm not a golf pro but it looks to me like you have what Jim Hardy would classify as a one plane swing with an RIT release. It looks fluid and to me like a swing that would produce a lot of straight shots.

Generally my good shots are straight but very high which probably is a result of me flipping at it to square the face (you can see more of the flip in the first vid, that's my normal pattern, throwing it out over the plane) . I'd like to get my ball flight down a fair bit, its killing me in the wind. My bad shots are very spinny, weak high cuts/slices with a couple of steep fats and shanks thrown in.

Dan have you got any drills/thoughts for me to work on the hip motion and backswing? I've tried not rotating the arms as much but Im just reverse pivoting? Do you advocate a reverse K setup? Am i right in saying you think its not required?

https://www.instagra.../p/Bhe5iCyFZko/

keep that stick to your side, gets you to have early side bend, do the takeaway with torso/hips versus rolling the arms - the arms do nothing until around club parallel (where you see him pause in the instagram)

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

Thanks Dan, yeah thats exactly what im doing, just independently straightening the rear leg. I cant turn in a way that forces me to move the hips correctly. F

I'm not clear what you're saying here in response to Dan's comment. He is saying you can't just independently straighten rear leg. It is locking out like that because of the way you're turning your hips. This is exactly what he wrote and it seems like you're disagreeing and saying you can just independently straighten it? Why do you believe you can't turn in the correct way? I apologize in advance if I completely misinterpreted something here from either poster.

"You can’t just straighten the trail leg. It’s pulled straight by the hips turning on a tilted angle. The arms rotating immediately off the ball not only causes the shaft to get flat early but also discourages you from turning. Need less arm rotation in early backswing with more hip turn"

https://www.instagra.../p/Bhe5iCyFZko/

keep that stick to your side, gets you to have early side bend, do the takeaway with torso/hips versus rolling the arms - the arms do nothing until around club parallel (where you see him pause in the instagram)

This is a good feel. I struggle with an early roll and lift in my back swing and this is another great way to feel the fix. I've also used a drill where you hold a range bucket between your hands in address position so that someone standing in caddy view could see the bottom of the bucket. As you turn back to where your arms are parallel to the ground, you keep the bucket so that the person standing in caddy view could still see the bottom of the bucket. From there, you dump the bucket over your rear shoulder to get to the top.

Thanks Dan, yeah thats exactly what im doing, just independently straightening the rear leg. I cant turn in a way that forces me to move the hips correctly. F

I'm not clear what you're saying here in response to Dan's comment. He is saying you can't just independently straighten rear leg. It is locking out like that because of the way you're turning your hips. This is exactly what he wrote and it seems like you're disagreeing and saying you can just independently straighten it? Why do you believe you can't turn in the correct way? I apologize in advance if I completely misinterpreted something here from either poster.

"You can’t just straighten the trail leg. It’s pulled straight by the hips turning on a tilted angle. The arms rotating immediately off the ball not only causes the shaft to get flat early but also discourages you from turning. Need less arm rotation in early backswing with more hip turn"

I think you've misinterpreted both posts. Of course you can straighten the rear leg independently, just stand in a golf posture and lock your leg out, which is what im doing in the backswing, irrespective of what my arms are doing. Dan's telling that i need to move my upper body and arms differently so that my hips are pulled around by performing the correct movement (on a tilted angle). Correct me if im wrong Dan. I cant seem to move my arms and upper body in a way that pulls my hips open. At the moment im all arms getting to the top whilst adding the locked rear leg as an after thought.

Definitely not disagreeing with Dan, he's one of the best instructors on here.

"You can't just straighten the trail leg. It's pulled straight by the hips turning on a tilted angle. The arms rotating immediately off the ball not only causes the shaft to get flat early but also discourages you from turning. Need less arm rotation in early backswing with more hip turn"

I think you've misinterpreted both posts. Of course you can straighten the rear leg independently, just stand in a golf posture and lock your leg out, which is what im doing in the backswing, irrespective of what my arms are doing. Dan's telling that i need to move my upper body and arms differently so that my hips are pulled around by performing the correct movement (on a tilted angle). Correct me if im wrong Dan. I cant seem to move my arms and upper body in a way that pulls my hips open. At the moment im all arms getting to the top whilst adding the locked rear leg as an after thought.

Definitely not disagreeing with Dan, he's one of the best instructors on here.

CH, just to be clear, when you say, "I cant seem to move my arms and upper body in a way that pulls my hips open" do you mean you think you have a physical limitation that doesn't allow you, or do you just mean in the frustrating golf sense that you are trying to do it but you just keep reverting back to your usual move of arms rotating immediately off the ball as Dan said.

You aren't going to turn your hips on an angle if you don't let your left knee work out toward your toes. In the dtl video that left knee barely moves.

Put an alignment stick through your belt loops, let that left knee go out toward your toes while your right butt cheek goes up and back, don't intentionally straighten that right knee

Best to do in a mirror - stick should point down.

You don't have to hit balls like this but if you do then go slowly.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrXrAIrl2J9/

You how much the knee comes out is individual but this is a good visual and you may not have your knee go out as much.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrBiHCqlCkz/

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified