Atlanta to RTJ - recommendations

Fedor Emelianenko

So me and a couple buddies are planning a quick getaway for some golf in the South. We will have a total of 3 days to play as many of the best courses GA and Bama have to offer

Since we fly in early (6am) into Atlanta, we would plan to play 2 rounds the day of arrival and then drive to Alabama to play the courses there for the next 2 days. We are going to try to fit in as many rounds we can while we are there since this may be our last trip there as a group.

We are not familiar at all with the area at all so I am reaching out to you guys to help us plan our trip out. We want to play the best of the best with no restrictions. Money is no object!

We have already played The Frog (which I know is on the way to alabama) so we would rather not play it again. I personally have played Wolf Creek and wasn't impressed so I'd rather not take them there.

Would it be better to just drive to RTJ straight from the airport and hope we can squeeze in 2 rounds?

Keep in mind that we will be flying in sometime in July and plan to arrive on a friday and leave sunday night. Please let me know if you have any recommendations on where to play, especially the drive from GA to AL.

We desperately need to know which RTJ courses to play as well. We will play a minimum of 4 rounds there so I'm hoping to find out which 4 are the best.

Thank you guys in advance for taking the time to help us out.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Fedor Emelianenko" said:

> So me and a couple buddies are planning a quick getaway for some golf in the South. We will have a total of 3 days to play as many of the best courses GA and Bama have to offer

>

> Since we fly in early (6am) into Atlanta, we would plan to play 2 rounds the day of arrival and then drive to Alabama to play the courses there for the next 2 days. We are going to try to fit in as many rounds we can while we are there since this may be our last trip there as a group.

>

> We are not familiar at all with the area at all so I am reaching out to you guys to help us plan our trip out. We want to play the best of the best with no restrictions. Money is no object!

>

> We have already played The Frog (which I know is on the way to alabama) so we would rather not play it again. I personally have played Wolf Creek and wasn't impressed so I'd rather not take them there.

> Would it be better to just drive to RTJ straight from the airport and hope we can squeeze in 2 rounds?

>

> Keep in mind that we will be flying in sometime in July and plan to arrive on a friday and leave sunday night. Please let me know if you have any recommendations on where to play, especially the drive from GA to AL.

>

> We desperately need to know which RTJ courses to play as well. We will play a minimum of 4 rounds there so I'm hoping to find out which 4 are the best.

>

> Thank you guys in advance for taking the time to help us out.

>

>

If you would rather not play the Frog or Wolf Creek again, nothing else out west on the south side of town...maybe go out east and just play one round to get the juices flowing...Cherokee Run. A little surprised you didn't care for Wolf Creek, Cherokee Run imo is a nicer track than Wolf Creek, but not by leaps and bounds. At the same time, from the ATL airport, you can be on the 1st tee at Grand National in about 90 mins or so...enough time to do 36.

RTJ...my favorite is Grand National...we play a11 54 every time we go...the par 3 track is probably better than any I've ever played. If you have time for another round, Ross Ridge...maybe best to play that one 1st as Grand National is the closest to the ATL airport.

if you are **arriving** at 6, then you can get in 36 at grand national, if weather cooperates ... be sure to check the maintenance schedule for each course ... it's listed on the website ...

i would skip ross bridge, regardless of whatever schedule you create ...

Could someone tell me if this is a good schedule?

day 1: grand national Lake and Links 36 holes - short course if we have time

day 2: capitol hill legislator and and senator 36 holes (judge is closed for maintenance =()

day 3: oxmoor valley ridge and valley or ridge and ross bridge. (need help deciding between the 2)

Thanks!

> Could someone tell me if this is a good schedule?

>

> day 1: grand national Lake and Links 36 holes - short course if we have time

> day 2: capitol hill legislator and and senator 36 holes (judge is closed for maintenance =()

> day 3: oxmoor valley ridge and valley or ridge and ross bridge. (need help deciding between the 2)

>

> Thanks!

Ross is a resort course that is very well maintained, but it's pricey for a somewhat ordinary layout ($150 or so for visitors; i get it half off or free, depending on my points), and the rounds are very, very slow (resort/spa golfers) ... oxmoor is my home course, and i get a discount to ross bridge and have played it twice ... it's better conditioning than the 2 courses at oxmoor, and the greens are great, but for the price and service (it's not always top notch), you'd expect a bit more ... just my .02 ... you could play one of the oxmoor courses after playing farmlinks on your way up to b'ham ...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm now back after playing 126 holes in 3 days.

For anybody reading this, do not listen to the people who say 'do not play ross bridge'. We paid $115 on a Sunday and we were first out. This is far and away the best course we played in Alabama. I'd happily pay $250 for a course like that in Socal.

Here is my best to worst from the courses we played

1. Ross Bridge

2. grand national (both courses)

3. farmlinks

4. oxmoor (both courses)

Man I love the RTJ Trail. Have played all but one location. Great layout when driving South thru the state when coming from Toronto down Hwy 65

I love the Mobile courses and you can then squeeze in KIVA Dunes. Do that the next time OP.... thx for the memories !

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

> I'm now back after playing 126 holes in 3 days.

>

> For anybody reading this, do not listen to the people who say 'do not play ross bridge'. We paid $115 on a Sunday and we were first out. This is far and away the best course we played in Alabama. I'd happily pay $250 for a course like that in Socal.

> Here is my best to worst from the courses we played

>

> 1. Ross Bridge

> 2. grand national (both courses)

> 3. farmlinks

> 4. oxmoor (both courses)

>

>

Glad you had a good time. I agree with all your ratings. Oxmoor is my least favorite stop on the trial.

BHam has more to offer than Oxmoor, which is probably why they’re such a yawn for most. Farmlinks is arguably the best course near BHam. I have been to the Ross Bridge resort for a conference but have yet to play the course, however it is on my list of courses to play sooner than later. I have always loved the courses at Prattville (#1 tee box and #18 approach for The Judge are both awesome views), the conditions of the 27-holes in Greenville, and my favorite, the 36 full-sized holes in Opelika (my group of about 30 guys goes there every other year for the weekend). I was supposed to get down to Mobile/Orange Beach this summer but the algae outbreak messed it up for me because my wife and daughter were going to crash on the beach while I played as much golf as I could. SMH

Bama definitely has some awesome golf.

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour