Fairmont Scottsdale Hotel?

djhgolf

Traveling to Scottsdale next month for the first time from Australia with wife and daughter, the reviews appear to be extremely good! And the hotel prices are very reasonable! Should I consider others in that range? Not looking at playing the stadium course.. how far also is places like Troon North etc? I know WeKoPa is a bit of a trek.. also if any locals are available for a round I’m free for 2-3,rounds :)

Thanks again!

Callaway Tour Issue Paradym TD-S 8.5 (7.9) - Fujikura Ventus Black TR 5X

TaylorMade BRNR Mini (24) 13.5 - Fujikura Ventus Red TR 6X
Taylormade Tour QI10 16.5 - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X.
PXG 0311X Gen 5 -  Fujikura Ventus Blue 9X

PXG 0317T - 4 - LAGP L-Series (5) X
Miura KM-700  5-PW - LAGP L-Series (5) X
PXG Milled "Sugar Daddy 2 " 50,54,60 - DG TI S400
Scotty Cameron Holiday LTD (23}/ LAGP 135 (White)

> @Pleasedwith3putts said:

> Fairmont is nice and my go to - first time I've heard someone say the prices are very reasonable there....

Everything seems to be more reasonable here in August. :lol:

I love our weather overall but August is by far the worst month here. Mid-July to Mid-September is not optimal and August is dead center of that.

Thanks all,

Appreciate the feedback!

How does the Hyatt Regency stack up vs FS, Fairmont, Andaz?

> @djhgolf said:

> Thanks all,

> Appreciate the feedback!

> How does the Hyatt Regency stack up vs FS, Fairmont, Andaz?

I don’t know anyone that has stayed in the Hyatt directly and I haven’t either. We have an occasional event at the Andaz and it is fine. If I were going that way I’d likely go JW Marriott instead.

The Fairmont and Four Seasons are close to golf and the north areas of eating (Kierland, Scottsdale Quarter and, to some extent, Desert Ridge). The Andaz and Hyatt are closer to Old Town but away from golf.

BTW, the Boulders is only in the middle of nowhere relative to Old Town. Given your age I’d think you can find plenty of places just as good to eat up North as you can in Old Town. Plus, again, the weather will be hades hit in August so I’d spend as much time as you can at elevation.

The Hyatt Regency Gainey Ranch is what I assume you are referring to is nice and if your daughter loves the water, I don't think the pool area can be beat for kids. If I recall one section had a bit of a water park and sandy beach. It's an enormous pool area separated in two.

I haven't stayed at the Four Seasons but have gone there for dinner. The grounds and pool are very nice from what I saw. Don't recall the name of the restaurant, but we sat outside and experienced one of the most spectacular sunsets.

My two stays at the Fairmont are what made me fall in love with taking time to visit Scottsdale annually.

The Andaz is not particularly kid friendly but they try and the pool is much smaller than Gainey or the Fairmont. The Andaz is also a Hyatt property. I have status with Hyatt so I could be biased, but for our needs and likes it's perfect since the better half is a non-golfer, it's close enough to stuff is she wants to leave the resort while I have the car at the golf course.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the contribution all,

Decided to book the Fairmont Casita.

Based on location and condition mid August - what would the top five courses to play around that area, also enjoy good practice facilities, and having dinner with the family after the round...

> @djhgolf said:

> Thanks for the contribution all,

> Decided to book the Fairmont Casita.

> Based on location and condition mid August - what would the top five courses to play around that area, also enjoy good practice facilities, and having dinner with the family after the round...

>

Couple of questions: Do you belong to a private club? What age range will be going to dinner?

> @az2au said:

> > @djhgolf said:

> > Thanks for the contribution all,

> > Decided to book the Fairmont Casita.

> > Based on location and condition mid August - what would the top five courses to play around that area, also enjoy good practice facilities, and having dinner with the family after the round...

> >

> Couple of questions: Do you belong to a private club? What age range will be going to dinner?

Due to recent work commitments over the last year I have passed up my private club in Australia. We are in our mid 30's.

Thanks for your time!

Depends on how far you want to drive, but you can’t go wrong with We Ko Pa (Sagauro) Troon North (either), The Boulders (either), or Grayhawk (I prefer Talon). All are very fun and have the desert feel.

For restaurants, you have so many options. A few of my favorites are Roka Akor, Citizen Public House, Ocean 44 or The Mission. If you’re looking to venture out a little bit to Arcadia (east Phoenix by Camelback Mountain) or downtown, I can provide further recommendations.

• Like 1

> @djhgolf said:

> > @az2au said:

> > > @djhgolf said:

> > > Thanks for the contribution all,

> > > Decided to book the Fairmont Casita.

> > > Based on location and condition mid August - what would the top five courses to play around that area, also enjoy good practice facilities, and having dinner with the family after the round...

> > >

> > Couple of questions: Do you belong to a private club? What age range will be going to dinner?

>

> Due to recent work commitments over the last year I have passed up my private club in Australia. We are in our mid 30's.

> Thanks for your time!

>

OK, was hopeful that your pro could write a letter of introduction for you as it would likely get you on most of our private clubs right now since most members are gone. Since that's not the case, in the immediate area:

1. Troon North Pinnacle

2. Grayhawk Raptor

3. Boulders South

4. Troon North Monument (front is so-so, back is great fun)

5. Legend Trail

If you want to see a course that is on TV all of the time you can play TPC Scottsdale as that's where you're staying. I think it kinda blows though.

Food for mid-30s adults who want to stay in the immediate area:

1. The Mission at Kierland (Latin)

2. Barrio Queen at Desert Ridge (tacos)

3. Mastro's at Pinnacle Peak (steak)

4. Bourbon Cellar (the ambiance isn't much but excellent bourbon selection and the food is very good)

5. Toro (in the Princess, not my favorite but good enough and it is right there)

6. Sushi Brokers at Frank Lloyd Wright

If you want to venture into Old Town I'd recommend Virtu and Citizen Public House. There's the original Mission and Barrio Queen down there as well but there's no difference so if you want to go to either of those just stay up north.

Best Burger IMO-The Attic in Arcadia (Ivan burger is awesome and the place is fun)

Best Mexican-Los Dos Molinos uptown

Neither of those are very close to you though. 20-30 min drives depending on how you drive (20 for me :) )

• Like 1

> @TheShaun said:

> Barrio Queen!! I only learned of it last year. Won't be surprised if I wind up there 3 times over the course of my next visit. So good.

> Also discovered Fat Ox on my last visit. Expect I'll be there again this year.

>

Fat Ox is very good. Mora Italian is the best in the city though. You can't go wrong with either however. In 10 trips I'd probably go 7/3 Mora.

Ate a Los Dos Molinos tonight. We had to run down to our place Cabo quickly yesterday (long story but all good) so you'd think we had a nice Mexican meal there but we ate at Nobu instead (highly recommend it if you're ever around one). Flew back this afternoon and wanted Mexican so hit that on the way home :)

> @az2au said:

> > @djhgolf said:

> > > @az2au said:

> > > > @djhgolf said:

> > > > Thanks for the contribution all,

> > > > Decided to book the Fairmont Casita.

> > > > Based on location and condition mid August - what would the top five courses to play around that area, also enjoy good practice facilities, and having dinner with the family after the round...

> > > >

> > > Couple of questions: Do you belong to a private club? What age range will be going to dinner?

> >

> > Due to recent work commitments over the last year I have passed up my private club in Australia. We are in our mid 30's.

> > Thanks for your time!

> >

> OK, was hopeful that your pro could write a letter of introduction for you as it would likely get you on most of our private clubs right now since most members are gone. Since that's not the case, in the immediate area:

> 1. Troon North Pinnacle

> 2. Grayhawk Raptor

> 3. Boulders South

> 4. Troon North Monument (front is so-so, back is great fun)

> 5. Legend Trail

>

> If you want to see a course that is on TV all of the time you can play TPC Scottsdale as that's where you're staying. I think it kinda blows though.

>

> Food for mid-30s adults who want to stay in the immediate area:

> 1. The Mission at Kierland (Latin)

> 2. Barrio Queen at Desert Ridge (tacos)

> 3. Mastro's at Pinnacle Peak (steak)

> 4. Bourbon Cellar (the ambiance isn't much but excellent bourbon selection and the food is very good)

> 5. Toro (in the Princess, not my favorite but good enough and it is right there)

> 6. Sushi Brokers at Frank Lloyd Wright

>

> If you want to venture into Old Town I'd recommend Virtu and Citizen Public House. There's the original Mission and Barrio Queen down there as well but there's no difference so if you want to go to either of those just stay up north.

>

> Best Burger IMO-The Attic in Arcadia (Ivan burger is awesome and the place is fun)

> Best Mexican-Los Dos Molinos uptown

>

> Neither of those are very close to you though. 20-30 min drives depending on how you drive (20 for me :) )

I can now get a letter from my teaching pro and or a letter from the PGA of Australia if that allows more access to some great private clubs.. Which would be the best to go after?

> @TheShaun said:

> Barrio Queen!! I only learned of it last year. Won't be surprised if I wind up there 3 times over the course of my next visit. So good.

> Also discovered Fat Ox on my last visit. Expect I'll be there again this year.

>

Barrio Queen is great, but you have to check out Barrio Cafe to get the real experience. 16th St and Thomas. Food is so good!!

> @mlesser said:

> City Hall isn't too bad, the others are to far north and honestly just a little older of a crowd for my liking.

My recommendations were based on him not wanting to go far from the Fairmont and stick with people in their mid-30s to mid-40s as I noted. If you want to recommend my favorite places in the city it would be Virtu, Ocotillo, Citizen Public House, Bourbon and Bones, Second Story, Mora Italian, Fat Ox and still Los Dos Molinos :). FnB is OK as well but I think it is a bit overrated.

> @az2au said:

> > @TheShaun said:

> > Barrio Queen!! I only learned of it last year. Won't be surprised if I wind up there 3 times over the course of my next visit. So good.

> > Also discovered Fat Ox on my last visit. Expect I'll be there again this year.

> >

> Fat Ox is very good. Mora Italian is the best in the city though. You can't go wrong with either however. In 10 trips I'd probably go 7/3 Mora.

>

> Ate a Los Dos Molinos tonight. We had to run down to our place Cabo quickly yesterday (long story but all good) so you'd think we had a nice Mexican meal there but we ate at Nobu instead (highly recommend it if you're ever around one). Flew back this afternoon and wanted Mexican so hit that on the way home :)

>

I want to be you in my next life

• Like 1

I will take Ocean 44 or Steak 44 over most of all those places. But, that is just me.

Best street tacos - Try Crujiente Taco's - Outstanding> @az2au said:

> > @mlesser said:

> > City Hall isn't too bad, the others are to far north and honestly just a little older of a crowd for my liking.

> My recommendations were based on him not wanting to go far from the Fairmont and stick with people in their mid-30s to mid-40s as I noted. If you want to recommend my favorite places in the city it would be Virtu, Ocotillo, Citizen Public House, Bourbon and Bones, Second Story, Mora Italian, Fat Ox and still Los Dos Molinos :). FnB is OK as well but I think it is a bit overrated.

>

Have you been to Tocaya yet? We are going to try to make it over the next few days.

If you are a breakfast fan, you got to try Snooze. So, good..... But, I am a little bias as someone who lives most the time in Colorado.

> @mlesser said:

> I will take Ocean 44 or Steak 44 over most of all those places. But, that is just me.

> Best street tacos - Try Crujiente Taco's - Outstanding> @az2au said:

> > > @mlesser said:

> > > City Hall isn't too bad, the others are to far north and honestly just a little older of a crowd for my liking.

> > My recommendations were based on him not wanting to go far from the Fairmont and stick with people in their mid-30s to mid-40s as I noted. If you want to recommend my favorite places in the city it would be Virtu, Ocotillo, Citizen Public House, Bourbon and Bones, Second Story, Mora Italian, Fat Ox and still Los Dos Molinos :). FnB is OK as well but I think it is a bit overrated.

> >

>

> Have you been to Tocaya yet? We are going to try to make it over the next few days.

> If you are a breakfast fan, you got to try Snooze. So, good..... But, I am a little bias as someone who lives most the time in Colorado.

Oh yes, I have Tocaya Organica regularly. It is good but it is "healthy" Mexican. Try the Street Corn en Fuego bowl with Diablo Chicken. Quite good.

• Like 1

I will take Ocean 44 or Steak 44 over most of all those places. But, that is just me.

Best street tacos - Try Crujiente Taco's - Outstanding> @az2au said:

> > @mlesser said:

> > Thanks for the heads up, it wasn't bad. Honestly, felt a little like a healthy step above Chipotle.

> Pretty much. Still, very tasty.

>

Not too bad at all!