Nearly killed someone

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've been hit SIX times!!! We need pictures and/or stories to accompany this statement. I'm not doubting your claim, I'm downright intrigued by this and want some good laughs (sorry if that seems cruel, I do appreciate physical comedy to a certain extent). I'm very curious about the physical damage being hit with a ball mid-air causes I have no first hand experience myself (Thank god..)

You've been hit SIX times!!! We need pictures and/or stories to accompany this statement. I'm not doubting your claim, I'm downright intrigued by this and want some good laughs (sorry if that seems cruel, I do appreciate physical comedy to a certain extent). I'm very curious about the physical damage being hit with a ball mid-air causes I have no first hand experience myself (Thank god..)

1st --struck between temple and eye by and on coming ball aged 14

Outcome = 6 stiches and severly dizzy, also very lucky not to lose eye. end prodeuct a scar.

2nd== sitting in lenzie GC locker room, junior in front of me was repeating his backswing with 3 iron, after 4-5 repitions he decided to complete his followthrough, into my face. struck just above left eyebrow and needed 5 stiches, was not impressed and agian lucky with the eye. end product was a scar..... again. Aged 15 (11 months roughly after above incident). That was also embarassing

3rd -- simple hit it the back while up the golf course, hurt but only small bruise/

4th --- 16th hole west kilbride 3rd round of matchplay, game on ajacent hole hooks the crap ouuta shot shouts but doesnt leave much time bounced a hit ribs , hurt but more shocked. and pissed that i migh get beat as a result. won match on last which is just as well. aged 17

5th -- playing partner shanked it a it hit my calf , was standing diagonal infront of him which was not smart cos he was not that good, obviously. left a big bruise and a limp.

6th- thinned bunker shot from player in bunker across from me in the short game practice area, it was a friend and we just had a shocked laugh about it.

this all happened between 14-18, kids eh?? il take the blame for one of them No.4 and il try ne get the pics for the morbid of the first 2 incidents but dunno if the forum would allow it, bit bloody

maybe thats why im a bit :good:

its funny now but then it was no joke!!

This story is pretty close to the thread title(almost killing somebody)..

I was about 11 and My dad and I were playing golf in an army course . In this certain fairway( big fairway 200+ yarrds wide) it shared with the marching grounds. On that time there were about 300 recruits practicing their graduation march, I wanted to skip the hole but my dad just said: aim right. So I did, and I pulled it super hard and hit this guy straight on the back of the head. The sound would hunt me till this day. It sounded like a golf ball hitting a cart path. Regarding the guy, he got knocked out and sent him to the hospital, my dad paid for the bills and compensation. In the end he graduated sittting with the generals and officers instead of marching. As for me, I cried after the incident and didn't touch a club for at least 6 months. :rolleyes:

I think your apology should be enough and it sounds like you'll never do it again but what really irritates me is people that hit their approach shots as you're walking off the green! How many times have we pushed or hooked our approach? Is it too much to ask for to wait another 20 seconds for you to get off the green? Sheesh!!

I worked at a course during my youth and was hit 3 times, all by drives where I was out of view from the tee box working. The people that hit me were always apologetic and it really wasn't their fault because what the hell am I doing out there anyway?

I have a simple rule that I play by: If I can get it to within 30 yards of the group in front of me I'm gonna have to wait. I don't want them to hear my shot hit the ground behind them and think I'm pushing. I've been guilty of asking "do you think I can get to them?", getting the "no way" answer and then blasting it right into the middle of them. I've been lucky to never have hit anyone and usually knew the guys I hit into.

If the group in front of you is playing too slow or holding you up or won't let you play through: Be a man. Either wait it out or walk your azz up to them and say something. Don't be a sissy and launch a projectile into them from 200 yards away.

Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
Mizuno MP-5 irons
Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*
Odyssey White Ice 1

That is always the way. Someone is "just beyond your range" so you take a nice controlled swing to put it in front of the green, and because you relaxed and took a nice controlled swing, you smash it well beyond your normal range. I have seen it so many times that I warn people. A number of times people have said "oh I'll just play it short" because they don't want the pressure of waiting for the green to clear. I warn them right then, that in my experience, that is when you come close to hurting someone.

Two years ago, I was in the fairway with my drive and had 200 yards to the green on a short par 5, played a nice 5 iron (which I usually hit no more than 185), and came within 18 inches of probably killing someone standing on the green. I ran up an apologized, but it was scary as all get out.

I was playing with my Pop once, we were chipping up on a closing hole and a teebox was to our left, and the outbound hole was a dogleg wrapping our fairway. Someone heeled the ball off the tee and I heard it whiz by me, really not visible because of the velocity. It nicked my Pop's forearm. I'm sure they yelled, but we were so close we would not have had time to react. Luckily he was not hurt, and they said sorry right away. I had played the course a dozen times and never noticed how close that tee box was to the green. From then on I was wary on that green.

i always wait for the group ahead of me to get off of the green, even if im like 230 out, because once in Florida i hit into (well not actually hit into, but they sure thought it was close) some older gentlemen and was hit with some words. the funniest thing though, was that when they came up to tell us that we were hitting too close, my dad started cracking up and they were like "whats so funny" and he said "oh nothing" :bb2:

I don't know if I mentioned it, but right after the incident, about 2 days later I was playing in my home course.

I bent down to put in my tee and heard something whiz over the top of my head. I saw a ball behind me and my playing partner was like, if I didn't bent down to tee up, that ball had my head in sights. I was this close to being sent into LaLa Land.

Apparently the ball was from two flights in front from the fairway of the next hole, which was parallel. No fore shouted.

Golf karma perhaps, if I believed in it!

I have been hit in the head twice.

First time by a someones hooked 3 wood second into a par 5 as I was walking off the green. Nearly dropped me, knees went wobbly for a moment or two. Wiped off the blood, applied a cold beer can to the lump on my forehead for a few holes and won the days comp. Not even a yell of fore, was a friends uncle playing in the fourball behind me, he was very shamefaced and most apologetic.

Second time was this year, a 7-8 iron into a par 5 caught me on the back off the head whilst standing on the adjacent tee-box. Yelled fore, so we at least knew it was coming and an 8 iron is not as hot as a holed 3 wood. It was a buddy in the fourball behind us- he has a reputation of being wayward, so I try and get in the fourball behind him from now on.

Its not much fun. If in doubt wait, no matter how frustrating the slow play is in front of you.

hi guys:

i've never hit anybody, but have driven it into groups in front (rolling up to them) by pure accident. the best thing to do, in my opinion is drive up and patiently listen to them swear their heads off at you, nodding and agreeing with everything ("yes, i am a total f***head, i know that"). they have the right to say what they need to, and you have the obligation to listen, agree, apologize, and ask them to wait in the clubhouse so you can buy them a beer when they are done.

The bag:

Titleist 915 D2 driver

Titleist TS2 3 wood

Titleist 818 H1 3 & 4 hybrids

Mizuno MP-60 irons (5-PW)

Mizuno T-22 wedges

Odyssey Stroke Lab 2-ball

For what its worth getting hit by a ball is no fun. :D

A few years ago I was playing in our annual family golf tournament and was lining up a putt on the 15th hole which was a short (280 yds) uphill dogleg par 4. The green is barely visible from the tee. One of my nephew's buddies let one rip. I really don't know whether anyone called "fore" or not. The ball caught me behind and above my temple by maybe 2" on the fly. I fell like I'd been tackled. The impact did not so much hurt as feel really heavy. When I sat up I was looking for the tree that had to have fallen on me. black%20eye.gif

Blood everywhere! Got ice on it right away.

I finished the round (have no idea what I shot) and at the 18th green the kid who hit me handed me the ball (top flite) and apologized. He looked worse than I felt at the time, so I said "At least you could have hit me with a decent ball!" Everybody laughed except him. He was really horrifed, and thought he had killed me. ;)

I ended up getting checked out - I had a serious concussion - I had to be awakened every hour that night - the whole deal. I could not concentrate properly for about a week - I'd lose track of things in mid conversation. Not at all fun. For the life of my I can't understand why anyone would want to be a professional boxer and risk concussions. ;)

So I am very careful about yelling and not hitting into groups - no matter what. ;)

Cheers!

BTW, when you are standing 160 out and watching the group in front leave the green, don't assume they all kept walking...

That was my situation on the 2nd hole one day. I assumed they all walked off, and after I hit the ball (right of the green), I looked and saw that one of the guys had stopped, just barely off the green on the right side. The other guys were already in their cart going to the next hole or pushing the push cart toward the next tee. Except this guy. He stopped for no reason I could explain and as he started walking again, the ball came down a few feet away from him. I had yelled, but because of the wind, none of them ever heard me.

They were not happy campers. Well, the one guy wasn't. I appologized and asked if they had heard me yelling and they said no. I appoligized again when we were walking over to the tee box and the guy I almost hit had already left (all upset still) and one of the other guys told me not to worry about it and next time, aim better!

On the 11th hole, I was in the fairway waiting to hit my next shot, waiting on these guys to get out of range, the guy that I almost hit was standing there and the sprinkler right under him popped up and started spraying him! He started cussing out the ground crew that was playing with the timers and walked away wet. Nice!

I won't hit within 50 yards of a group for fear of disturbng their concentration but I almost killed a fellow I was paired with, an extremely nervous sort who hard a hard time standing still.

I hit into a greenside bunker on a par 3 while his ball landed 4 feet from the pin. He went to the back of the green to put down his bag and I went to the sand trap, took a few practice swings, got in position and looked at the green and flag - all clear. Looked back, swung hard and bladed the ball turning a 15 foot flop shot into an 80 yard screamer. Looked up to see where it was going and this guy was next to the flag, about to mark his ball. My ball hit him in the head before I could yell and dropped him cold. When he came to I wanted to drive him back to the clubhouse, then take him to an emergency room but he shrugged it off, played the rest of the front 9 and quit, complaining of a headache.

I felt horrible that week, and when I returned to the course I saw his clubs were up for sale. I thought he had died and his wife put up the ad. I was consumed with guilt and when I got home I called the number but it turned out they were having a baby and he wouldn't be playing for a few years. Whew!

Honma Beres 10.5*
Jones/Ortiz 4 wood 17*
Adams Idea Black CB2 irons 26, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45*
Callaway MD3 S grind 52, 56, C grind 60, PM grind 64*
Tom Slighter Custom Needle 450g, 3* loft, 74* lie (2006)
Tom Slighter Needle 360g, 4* loft, 72* lie (2012, backup)

• 3 months later...

Silver%20-%2012th.jpg

let me get this out of the way first. hole #12 we had been played over 3 hours

well you have a pic of the hole, i drove i strait through the fairway, i was 244 yards out and could barely see my ball in the rough. so i took me 3 wood out to punch it out down the fairway. well i nutted it, down the fairway with a 40 yard slice over the trees 8 feet from the hole, how do i know that, thats were i found my ball stomped in. when i realized what i did i went to the next hole and waited for them. heard a few choice words from them said sorry so forth went back and birdie, needless to say we never saw them after that and one of the old retire military ladies said you should have done that 10 holes ago.

short par 5 at 459, i'm normaly at the 125 marker on this hole

JDM TMade SLDR set @ 11.5* w/Speeder 757
Adams Tour LS 15* w/DI7x
Adams Tour LS 19* w/DI8x & 23* 9031
Adams MB2 5-GW w/Black Nickle KBS Tour S
Machine M6 Inspirer
50*/54*/58* Satin Puglielli wedge kbs tourS
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/910665-bennysupremes-first-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I was hit by a shanked 3-wood once. It was my own fault; I was standing diagonally ahead of the older fellow that hit me from about 50 yards away. You could see the mirror-image "Titleist" in the bruise on my butt, much as you can see the seams if you're hit by a pitched baseball.

The worst situation is one I found myself in another time. I was waiting for the green on a par 4 to clear so I could hit my second, and a couple of beered-up guys hit into my group deliberately, to get us to "move (your) asses". I was walking, but my sand wedge and I went back to have a discussion with them. It was the closest I've come to a physical altercation on a course.

The first memorable moment was when I was a sophomore in HS and we were walking out for our shotgun start at the District tournament. Apparently they had let a group out really early to get 9 in before our tournament, for we were walking up the fairway adjacent to 8th hole as we suddenly hear "FORE!!!" and not a second later I hear this loud THUD and my teammate gasping for air as he dropped to one knee. He ended up just getting the wind knocked out of him, but it sure scared the hell out of us for a second and left a nice mark on his chest. We ended up qualifying for the State tournament where I proceeded to get hit right above the eye by my teammate's Great Big Bertha when we were warming up on the very crowded range. I didn't think anything was wrong because it didn't really hurt at first, but my hand was completely covered in blood. A couple butterfly stitches and some Advil and I was good to go, but had to make a trip the hospital later that day.

During a regular season golf match my senior year I was on a blind uphill dogleg left par 4 (248 yards) that requires a pretty wicked hook to get around a large tree that hugs the left side of the fairway. So, I hit my 3 wood out there and turn it over just enough to get around the large tree. A couple seconds later I hear the group ahead yelling, and it sounds like they were saying "ITS IN THE HOLE!!". However, I just figured that it was up by the green and they were just messing with me, but sure enough it rolled right by my teammate and into the hole as one of the other players was about to putt. How it went in without the flag in is beyond me, but I guess every dog has his day.

• 1 month later...

when i was a kid in the mid 80s golfing

i was a skinny 140lb 5'10" kid what (i didn't know then) a really good swing.

Always in the 510+ yard first par 5 i'd have older playing partners that my father and I would get paired up with telling me to hit my 2nd shot... thinking my drive was a fluke. (We played at sea level on a really wet course in British Columbia, with virtually no roll)

Well I knew I could hit the green an easy 4 wood or even long iron. But these guys often very over bearing would really get on me.

Telling me just how far I could or couldn't hit. Sometimes i would lay up or if aim over top to avoid them.

I never ... to this day never tell people to hit.

Last year this guy on the first hole 200 yards (my 5 iron distance) out was telling me to hit up to the green. He had seen me play one shot my tee shot, my first shot of the year which i fluffed!!! I pretended not to hear him he kept persisting. And I refused... and he said you know you can't hit it!!! like he was some flaming golf guru. He simply wouldn't quit and was getting mad. (now i'm an adult 6' 200lbs and fit... I would look at a person and if he was 5'6" and chubby or thin like a rail and think maybe he could hit 200yds!!!! simply not that far) But dude wouldn't quit?!?

I pulled his son aside (my friend in his mid 30s), and said loudly enough that his dad would hear that i'm not into golf play by play or instruction. After the next few holes where I out drove him with a 3 iron easily he shut his mouth...

Although he kept on his son for about 5 holes giving un needed instruction... His son was playing brutally!!!

Only after he gave up the "bob toski routine" did his son actually start hitting some really nice balls.

In golf there is a lot of etiquette. I see a lot of bad swings on the course ... and I let them play their game... hey if they ask for a tip then that is a different matter. But people should let others play their game. that is the best thing about golf!!!

There is a lot of other etiquette that these "helpful, instructive people" will tell you all about, but really at the end of the day the most important thing for my enjoyment of the game is "you play your game and I will play mine".

keep your tips for the waitress!!!