2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

COBRA L4V - The BOMB!!!!

ROBOPTI

I am jumping back on board...I have tried a bunch of drivers this year and the L4V was the most consistent for me, don't know that it was the longest...but I hit the most fairways with it. So I just purchased a 10*F head and will be putting a 63s Blueboard in it.

Will be trying a 909 DComp at some point but need the price to come down a bit...

So I am back in the Kool-Aid brigade.

Good to have you back. :man_in_love:

Hope you have a Merry Christmas Pat!

Taylormade M1 8.5* Fujikura Speeder 553 Tour Spec
Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tour 16.5* Aldila RIP Alpha
Titleist T200 4-7, T100s 8-PW KBS Tour
Scratch 8620 DD 47*, 53*, 60* Aerotech SF i110
Bettinardi Studio Stock 16

I am jumping back on board...I have tried a bunch of drivers this year and the L4V was the most consistent for me, don't know that it was the longest...but I hit the most fairways with it. So I just purchased a 10*F head and will be putting a 63s Blueboard in it.

Will be trying a 909 DComp at some point but need the price to come down a bit...

You too Josh...we will play some winter golf whenever possible!

Winter Golf?....HAHA......

I tee'd it up with my dad today andit was 71* out.....got to love SC weather

Scott

Scott

Scott,

you suc*!!! LOL!

I played last Sunday and had to take my handy little hammer i bought at a yard sale for $.25 to tap the tees into the frozen ground!!! :black eye:

I see you play the L4V f with the Blueboard 63...like it???

Pat

Scott

Scott,

you suc*!!! LOL!

I played last Sunday and had to take my handy little hammer i bought at a yard sale for $.25 to tap the tees into the frozen ground!!! :black eye:

I see you play the L4V f with the Blueboard 63...like it???

Pat

Yea I like it.....I was thinking about going to a 83 gr blue board. I play just a tad over 44 inches and I had to add a little lead tape to it to get the SW to D0.5.

Thinking about going to the 83X but it is working just fine right now

Scott

Definitely. I haven't got out since Heritage Hills last time. Been traveling with work.

L4V is still in the bag! Looks, feels, and swings awesome.. did get that pesky putter out of my bag though.

No, just 9*, but im not sure what the actual loft measures on average. Anyone know?

I am wondering the same thing. I have had two l4v x's. Both obviously 9 degree. One launched considerably higher than the other. Not sure if it was the shaft difference or the second l4v had a lower actual loft. The first l4v had a Rombax 7V05 in x-flex and the second has a Graphite Design Tour AD md7 in x-flex. I can say that when you find a l4v that launches at an appropriate angle and spin rate hold on to it because once you get the correct combo this is a great head. I was thinking about buying a backup l4v but am worried about getting one with again, the too-high launch.

Anybody measured theirs?

just giving my fellow k brigade a heads up, i will be posting a l4v in the bst and will be offering either head only x head or with pm702/titleist voodoo, both combos are very hot. head is mint.

TITLEIST TS3 8.5 T1100
Callaway XR Pro 15* Fairway
Taylormade GAPR 2
Honma 737V 4-pw
Titleist SM6 52/58
Machine M20 Converter Aluminum Bronze
Scotty Newport Select

No, just 9*, but im not sure what the actual loft measures on average. Anyone know?

I am wondering the same thing. I have had two l4v x's. Both obviously 9 degree. One launched considerably higher than the other. Not sure if it was the shaft difference or the second l4v had a lower actual loft. The first l4v had a Rombax 7V05 in x-flex and the second has a Graphite Design Tour AD md7 in x-flex. I can say that when you find a l4v that launches at an appropriate angle and spin rate hold on to it because once you get the correct combo this is a great head. I was thinking about buying a backup l4v but am worried about getting one with again, the too-high launch.

Anybody measured theirs?

Did the MD-7x launch lower?

Got 2 rounds under my belt with the L4V (X head with a blueboard 83 stiff tipped a half inch), I love it.

Hittin them almost as long as my MP-600, within 5 or so yards, but ive hit about 80-90% of the fairways on this trip so far, it just will not hook on me.

If i swing smooth it goes straight, if I swing hard it goes 5-10 yards longer with a 20 foot draw, I don't know if I've hit a better driver.

The kool aid tastes great. Thanks Robo!

Anybody measured theirs?

Yes it did. I ended up playing that setup at the us mid am qualifier. Shame the putter didn't cooperate that day!

Anybody measured theirs?

Yes it did. I ended up playing that setup at the us mid am qualifier. Shame the putter didn't cooperate that day!

I've been trying to hear comments on how that shaft plays compared to WB and PM 702, its supposed to be GDI's lower launch, low spin offering to better players. How does it compare to these 2 if your familiar on a monitor?

Thanks!

Got 2 rounds under my belt with the L4V (X head with a blueboard 83 stiff tipped a half inch), I love it.

Hittin them almost as long as my MP-600, within 5 or so yards, but ive hit about 80-90% of the fairways on this trip so far, it just will not hook on me.

If i swing smooth it goes straight, if I swing hard it goes 5-10 yards longer with a 20 foot draw, I don't know if I've hit a better driver.

The kool aid tastes great. Thanks Robo!

You should change your signature......... :beach:

Anybody measured theirs?

I've been trying to hear comments on how that shaft plays compared to WB and PM 702, its supposed to be GDI's lower launch, low spin offering to better players. How does it compare to these 2 if your familiar on a monitor?

Thanks!

Yes there's not a lot of info about the md-7 shafts out there. I kind of had to go out on a limb and pay 80 dollars for a pullout that I didn't know a lot about but I'm glad I did. To answer your question I don't know how they differ from the two shafts you mentioned on a launch monitor. I do know that I played about a month ago with a guy I had never played with and he said he was glad he would not have to see me hit that blue boom stick by him anymore :partytime2:

It brought my launch and spin way down, to a point where otherwise I would not be able to use the L4V. I would guess that the whiteboard is more lower spin lower launch if i had to guess. I didn't need to bring it that far down, probably just mid launch mid spin. In fact it is untipped but it has been in the bag for six months, which for me is an eternity.

Stopped at my local Golfsmith today & demo'd a couple of drivers (mind you it was indoors because it's 45-degrees in Indiana):

• Ping G10 10.5 (used to own)
  • TM Burner 10.5
  • Adams 9015D 10.5
  • Cobra L4V 10.5 with PL Blue

I used to hit a Cobra LD F Speed (2007) and switched to a Ping G10 last spring - gained 20 yds. average but hit a lot less fairways.

I personally have a problem with a low launch angle (~ 7 degs. normally) due to sliding through the ball. But the L4V helped me launch @ 12-13 degrees and 15 yds. further than the other clubs on the simulator. Between 2600-3000 rpm spin.

Chalk me up as a BELIEVER now!! I am going to troll on eBay for an L4V if I can't talk my buddy (GG employee) into the price I want to pay. Everyone I have seen complains about the stock shaft, but I loved the PL Blue in the club!!

every one is different. The stock shaft may work for you. It is a great driver that gives great forgiveness and Pretty good distance.

That is why I bag it still. :partytime2:

I have a question for all you L4V experts. I have an F speed L4V. Hit the stock stiff shaft decently enough, but hated the feel of it. Could be that it was a touch too stiff for me, as I have a low 90's / high 80's swingspeed.

So I went to a Titleist demo day and hit the new 909's with the stiff Voodoo for Titleist shafts. Loved the feel of that club. I was getting weird spin numbers (over 4000 RPMs, even with my driver) so I discounted the LM numbers and went solely by feel. I liked the feel so much, that I got a Voodoo for Titleist pull and put that in my L4V. I was initially worried that it might be too soft, with the reports here are that Titleist Voodoo is a bit soft, plus couple that with the higher headweight of the L4V. But after a couple of range sessions, the Voodoo feels like I'm swinging rebar. WTF?? Granted it's been cold and I know that my swing hasn't been on, but I really thought that the Voodoo would be the answer.

Anyone care to guess what happened here???

I have a question for all you L4V experts. I have an F speed L4V. Hit the stock stiff shaft decently enough, but hated the feel of it. Could be that it was a touch too stiff for me, as I have a low 90's / high 80's swingspeed.

So I went to a Titleist demo day and hit the new 909's with the stiff Voodoo for Titleist shafts. Loved the feel of that club. I was getting weird spin numbers (over 4000 RPMs, even with my driver) so I discounted the LM numbers and went solely by feel. I liked the feel so much, that I got a Voodoo for Titleist pull and put that in my L4V. I was initially worried that it might be too soft, with the reports here are that Titleist Voodoo is a bit soft, plus couple that with the higher headweight of the L4V. But after a couple of range sessions, the Voodoo feels like I'm swinging rebar. WTF?? Granted it's been cold and I know that my swing hasn't been on, but I really thought that the Voodoo would be the answer.

Anyone care to guess what happened here???

Strange ... You are correct in all your assumptions. The pull from a 909 should have felt much weaker in an L4 - in that the 909 pull has an extra inch of PTS and it is going in a heavier head - prob 6-7 grams more.

The ONLY thing I can think of is that the extra headweight - which is an "acquired taste" caused you to slow down - especially if you shafted it at 45 inches. It might have slowed you down just enough to cause you to have a slightly harder time releasing the head - where the 909 prob felt nice & lite (in comparison) - and you cleared the head thru impact just fine. The head might have been lagging and you got the jesus this is stiff feeling - It's possible.

Try shortening the overall length by 1/2 (if you are willing and see what happens).

What did your ball flight like with the VooDoo / L4 setup - blocking / slicing right by any chance ???

FYI gang ... L4F & XPP8 is incredible !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Robo,

Would gripping down 1/2" have the same effect as cutting down the shaft?? Honestly, I'd like to keep the shaft and throw it into another head!!!

I'm confused by your comment about the extra headweight. How did putting in the Voodoo increase the headweight? Would the increased shaft weight contribute to this (the stock is like 57 grams, while the Voodoo is 72 g)? I did keep it at 45"

With the stock shaft, my miss was a block right. With the Voodoo, it's been mixed. Ball flight has definately been lower. Not a whole lot, but enough for me to notice. After 1 range session, it was mostly straight with a couple of hooks. After the second, it was slices. But that was happening with my other clubs as well, so it was definately something I was doing swingwise.

It would ...

By increased headweight - I am going to guess the 909 is in that 200-201ish range - and I KNOW the L4 is at 208 - that coupled with a 12-13 gram heavier shaft at 45 would make it seem stiff - buz it is just physically heavier - that and at 80-90 - thats a big increase.

Low hooks are usually a sign of a a WEAK shaft - I THINK !!!!!!!! what you are experiening is a weak shaft in a much "heavier" overall driver and thus - it feels stiff.

Swing a STIFF piece of balsa wood and a HEAVY peice of garden hose and the hose will feel stiffer possibly bcuz it is heavier - that may be a bad analogy - but I hope you see where I am going.

Choke down 1/2 - 3/4 inch and see what ya think - I personally use 44 inches and love it !!!!!!!

Just guessing of course ;)

That balsa wood/garden hose analogy makes sense to me. I didn't think the Titleist Voodoo was that heavy until I just looked it up for my previous post. I figured it was in the low 60's like the "real" ones.

I'm going to try choking down on it and see if that helps. What complicates things a bit is that I'm tweaking my swing a bit right now, trying to shorten my backswing especially with the irons. That's throwing another variable into this equation (which is why I'm not counting that last range session where I sliced everything.).

Thanks for the help!!!

Man I have say the L4V is a classic. Oh wait its only a year or two old. I have an X with the stock RedBoard and It is just an accurate stick. I put a V2 in and loved it also. I put the L4V down to play around with my G10 for two months, I thought I was really hitting the ball well with the G10. Went back to the L4V last week and bam still long and straight. I will not be leaving the my arsenal.

TM SLDR with Motore Speeder
Cally XR 3 wood
Cally XHot 2 5w
Cally XR 7w
Ping G25 5i & 6i
Ping i20 CFS 7i - GW
Cally Jaws wedges 54* and 58*
Spider Daddy Long Legs 1st gen

I have a second L4V coming... The primary L4 is with Pype 60x, untipped at 44.5". The secondary L4 is with Pype 80x tipped 1/4" at 44.5". I might take out the 1/2" shaft extension on the 80x and have myself a low baller for the windy Wyoming spring... I'm wondering if the shafts will make a huge difference. I guess I'll see in a few months. Stupid winter............

Something interesting...

I got the L4V-X for it's open face and hell, I thought I would try the PM-702 while I was at. After a few PM with the Dark Master robo, it was left untipped. I had picked up the PM for cheap from Art Sellinger and I had Roger Dunn build the driver for me. When it was returned, the long text label was face down.

When I started using it, I was getting something odd - how on earth was a square face driver with a stiff tipped shaft resulting in the ridiculous 100 yard draws? The ball would start straight or slightly right and at it's peak, it would spin 100 yards to the left - effectively taking the ball to the far left or to the fence or OB. Banana balls, I did not need!

It was not a hook but those have been happening as well and rarely would a ball fly straight. It was always a draw flight at it's best swing.

My natural driver flight is a baby fade, nothing like what I was seeing. So after lessons and really weakening my grip, I just could not get rid of it and as a last resort, I took it to Pat Dempsey (Horsepower Golf) to have him check it and spine the driver. Woah...it wobbled like mad.

Below are 2 shots of my driver after it was spined. The 1st picture is shows how closed the head is when Roger Dunn initially built the driver with the label up (the Graphite Design logo straight up). The second shot shows how much the shaft was rotated by Pat to the right..

driverspiningza0.jpg

Before this happened to me, I would be sitting on the fence as to whether spining a shaft would work or not but after my own experience, the drives are truly straight and my worse draw shot is now a 5-10 yard draw. Ah, nothing like banging it far and down the fairway... :partytime2:

So, give this a go if you find you're hooking the L4V or drawing the crap out of it.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz Maz Broomstick ACCRA shaft, 44"
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

So, your saying that the hooks were caused by the spine being rotated almost 90* to the left initially?

I'm trying to wrap my mind around how that would cause such a huge hook.

Is the make-up of the shaft causing the head to snap closed at impact?

Is there something wrong with the shaft you have?

I understand that the spine might slightly change the way the shaft kicks on a vertical plane. But to have it make such a difference rotationally????

I just don't get it?

Something interesting...

I got the L4V-X for it's open face and hell, I thought I would try the PM-702 while I was at. After a few PM with the Dark Master robo, it was left untipped. I had picked up the PM for cheap from Art Sellinger and I had Roger Dunn build the driver for me. When it was returned, the long text label was face down.

When I started using it, I was getting something odd - how on earth was a square face driver with a stiff tipped shaft resulting in the ridiculous 100 yard draws? The ball would start straight or slightly right and at it's peak, it would spin 100 yards to the left - effectively taking the ball to the far left or to the fence or OB. Banana balls, I did not need!

It was not a hook but those have been happening as well and rarely would a ball fly straight. It was always a draw flight at it's best swing.

My natural driver flight is a baby fade, nothing like what I was seeing. So after lessons and really weakening my grip, I just could not get rid of it and as a last resort, I took it to Pat Dempsey (Horsepower Golf) to have him check it and spine the driver. Woah...it wobbled like mad.

Below are 2 shots of my driver after it was spined. The 1st picture is shows how closed the head is when Roger Dunn initially built the driver with the label up (the Graphite Design logo straight up). The second shot shows how much the shaft was rotated by Pat to the right..

driverspiningza0.jpg

Before this happened to me, I would be sitting on the fence as to whether spining a shaft would work or not but after my own experience, the drives are truly straight and my worse draw shot is now a 5-10 yard draw. Ah, nothing like banging it far and down the fairway... :partytime2:

So, give this a go if you find you're hooking the L4V or drawing the crap out of it.