2019 Tour Championship

Darth Putter

> @KennyP said:

> > @luke1333 said:

> > > @KennyP said:

> > > Overall the format was better; three straight weeks instead of four in five kept it fresher and the simpler scoring at the tour championship was an improvement. However, watching very rich people playing for even more money still doesn't make a great spectacle.

> > >

> >

> > I still don't get why everybody is mad about the money. The best NFL/MLB/NBA players make $20-30 million a year and nobody flips out. Rory wins $15 million in one tourney and $24 this year and everyone thinks the golf game is watered down and all about money. Well yes everything is about money. Don't know why everybody has a problem with a year long Fedex cup ending in a huge payout for these guys :shrug:

>

> I don't have a problem with what these guys make. My point was more an observation that a purse with a winners cheque approximately ten times that of a normal event didn't produce ten times the excitement.

>

>

So then what happens when there is a smaller tournament and the winner only gets $1 mil and it is extremely exciting. Then take the us open and it is a blowout, winner $2.2 mil but it isn't twice the excitement? Nobody complains about that.

Titleist TSR2 10° HZRDUS T1100

Titleist TSR3 15° HZRDUS T1100

Titleist TSR3 19° KBS Tour Hybrid Proto

PXG Gen5T 4-GW KBS Tour Stiff

Mizuno T24 56 & 60 S400

Piretti GOAT

> @AWorkInProgress said:

> This is crazy to think...

> Rory’s caddie Harry Diamond almost matched Jordan Spieth in prize money earned this year.

Well Spieth is just an average tour player so meh

Titleist TSR2 10° HZRDUS T1100

Titleist TSR3 15° HZRDUS T1100

Titleist TSR3 19° KBS Tour Hybrid Proto

PXG Gen5T 4-GW KBS Tour Stiff

Mizuno T24 56 & 60 S400

Piretti GOAT

> @jmck said:

> > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > @jmck said:

> > > > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > > > @jmck said:

> > > > > > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > > > > > @KennyP said:

> > > > > > > Overall the format was better; three straight weeks instead of four in five kept it fresher and the simpler scoring at the tour championship was an improvement. However, watching very rich people playing for even more money still doesn't make a great spectacle.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I agree, I think tweaking it may be good, but it accomplished exactly what they were shooting for.

> > > > >

> > > > > True, but how much of that was luck? Rory plays a little worse and Koepka plays a little better and then they've got a situation on the 18th green where Rory has an eight footer to both beat Koepka by 1 (gross) and lose to Keopka by 1 (net). Then they have to shuffle Rory off the green so they can give Koepka the trophy for winning--what?--the flighted club championship? I'm not sure if that's better or worse than giving out dueling trophies to two different guys on the 18th green, but at least there they've played a tournament at scratch, like you'd think golf should be played at the highest level.

> > > >

> > > > I would be just as happy (well almost) if Brooks and won. I think this took a bunch of the craziness and uncertainty out of it. I didn't say it was perfect, but I think it is an improvement. Yes, I would prefer them to all start at -0-. But, I am not sure how to do that and have it make sense in the end. I think handing out two trophies is a mistake. Although I could be persuaded the other way. I do not have any hard stance on this.

> > >

> > > Oh I've got a hard stance on this one, pal. Totally inflexible. It's my Stableford proposal. I'm going all in on that, and you're either with me or you're against me. ;)

> >

> > fair enough.. To be honest, I think the most fun in my opinion would be to make the tour championship a match play event. Once you are in, then bracket them up. Justin Thomas in this case would have been a one seed vs. Whoever was last in and so on. That would make for a very very interesting week of golf.

>

> I was just kidding, I really don't care one way or the other either. I'd be psyched for match play for sure, but the powers that be tremble in fear of the TV ratings of a Webb Simpson v Patrick Reed final, so doubt we'll ever get that.

i know you were.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @idrive said:

> > @LICC said:

> > > @idrive said:

> > > > @Pent08 said:

> > > > > @idrive said:

> > > > >

> > > > > Pretty much shows how much excitement or lack there of they have generated with this ridiculous format.

> > > >

> > > > Tiger winning last year pretty much ruins any comparison on the basis of format. But yeah, I agree.

> > >

> > > Actually, you're right. I hadn't thought about Tiger playing and in the hunt at last years TC. Always more folks watching when he is. However, the change in the format was supposed to generate more interest....

> > >

> > > Shows you who still drives the ratings.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Ratings have been up.

>

> Tiger played last week... where are the stats for this week?

"Final round coverage of The Tour Championship, the final event in the PGA Tour FedEx Cup, averaged a 2.9 overnight rating on NBC — down 34% from last year, when Tiger Woods won (4.4), but up 93% from 2017 (1.5). The 2.9 trails only last year as the highest for the tournament in a decade (2009: 3.3).

Prior to this year, the tournament took place in September opposite regular season NFL games. This year’s telecast faced zero NFL competition."

> @LICC said:

> > @idrive said:

> > > @LICC said:

> > > > @idrive said:

> > > > > @Pent08 said:

> > > > > > @idrive said:

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Pretty much shows how much excitement or lack there of they have generated with this ridiculous format.

> > > > >

> > > > > Tiger winning last year pretty much ruins any comparison on the basis of format. But yeah, I agree.

> > > >

> > > > Actually, you're right. I hadn't thought about Tiger playing and in the hunt at last years TC. Always more folks watching when he is. However, the change in the format was supposed to generate more interest....

> > > >

> > > > Shows you who still drives the ratings.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Ratings have been up.

> >

> > Tiger played last week... where are the stats for this week?

>

> "Final round coverage of The Tour Championship, the final event in the PGA Tour FedEx Cup, averaged a 2.9 overnight rating on NBC — down 34% from last year, when Tiger Woods won (4.4), but up 93% from 2017 (1.5). The 2.9 trails only last year as the highest for the tournament in a decade (2009: 3.3).

>

> Prior to this year, the tournament took place in September opposite regular season NFL games. This year’s telecast faced zero NFL competition."

Plus TW was competing with the NFL and College football schedule last year. If TW had been in the hunt this weekend

Ratings would have been 99%!

Nuff said.

> @LICC said:

> > @idrive said:

> > > @LICC said:

> > > > @idrive said:

> > > > > @Pent08 said:

> > > > > > @idrive said:

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Pretty much shows how much excitement or lack there of they have generated with this ridiculous format.

> > > > >

> > > > > Tiger winning last year pretty much ruins any comparison on the basis of format. But yeah, I agree.

> > > >

> > > > Actually, you're right. I hadn't thought about Tiger playing and in the hunt at last years TC. Always more folks watching when he is. However, the change in the format was supposed to generate more interest....

> > > >

> > > > Shows you who still drives the ratings.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Ratings have been up.

> >

> > Tiger played last week... where are the stats for this week?

>

> "Final round coverage of The Tour Championship, the final event in the PGA Tour FedEx Cup, averaged a 2.9 overnight rating on NBC — down 34% from last year, when Tiger Woods won (4.4), but up 93% from 2017 (1.5). The 2.9 trails only last year as the highest for the tournament in a decade (2009: 3.3).

>

> Prior to this year, the tournament took place in September opposite regular season NFL games. This year’s telecast faced zero NFL competition."

so the tour is gonna view this switch as big win with those numbers. even 2009 tiger won the fedex cup.

it does seem like theres some potential for a guy no1 in fedes to start the week to get off to a hot start and make sunday a foregone conclusion, but the ratings make change look smart.

> @idrive said:

> Thank you for verifying what I said, Tiger still moves the needle when it comes to ratings.

>

> Going against NFL games with Tiger in the field the ratings were almost double last year compared to no NFL competition and no Tiger this year.

1- EVERYONE knows that Tiger is the biggest ratings draw and that nothing brings bigger golf ratings than when he is in contention. You don't have any special insight there.

2- That wasn't your statement. You said that the BMW Sunday ratings were higher than prior years because Tiger was playing. Which was incorrect because Tiger wasn't in contention and didn't get much TV time on the weekend.

3- Tiger didn't play in the Tour championship and this year's Tour championship ratings were higher than any Tour championship of the last decade other than the one year that Tiger won. They were substantially higher than the 2017 Tour championship that was scheduled against the NFL.

This validates the PGA Tour's scheduling changes to have the playoffs before the NFL season begins. It worked.