2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Struggling to get aligned

golfnut1400

One of my goals this winter is to work on my alignment. I always seemed to find myself with a closed stance when I think I’m right on target when I approach my ball from the side. As part of my pre-shot routine I do stand behind the ball and pick a spot a few feet in front of my ball towards the target line. I even use the mowers path line if available to help with my alignment. During my practice on the range I also lay a club down in front of me while working on my swing.

Today in Seattle we had an unusual sunny but cold day and I found myself on the course rather than raking leaves. I had my playing partner look at my alignment on my tee shots and as usual I found that 75% of time my alignment was closed to my expected target line.

Could you give any tips how I can cure my alignment problem? Thanks in Advance.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately there is no cure for alignment. It something that has to be watched on every swing. When I practice, I always check alignment. You have to make a commitment on this subject because it is critical to consistency. Pros are constantly checking their alignment. They struggle with it as well. There are no short cuts here. There is no secret here. Your mind can easily play tricks on you here as you know. What feels square isn't always the case. This is a neglected area with golfers. All you need to do is go to a range and see how many people are working on or checking their alignment...how about zero or 1. If you make a commitment to check it every time, you are ahead of 99% of all golfers.

Ditto both the above comments.

Consistently solid alignment is one of the hardest things to master for players of all standards. The pros and all good amateurs are acutely aware of its importance (and the ease with which it can get out of kilter) and are constantly working on it in practice and play.

Hit some balls with some alignment aids and get used to how it feels to be set up square - probably like you're open. Ideally, get someone to assist you too. Many people can get the toe line right, using a clubshaft for instance, only for the knees, hips or shoulders to be out.

Ingrain that feeling of squareness through hitting balls and using those alignment aids and you'll soon get into the habit of squaring up the stance.

Alignment is one of those things you have to keep on top of unfortunately, in order that faults don't creep in.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

When you know you are square, either by a friend checking you or club on ground, without getting out of your posture turn your head toward the target. See how big the gap between your left shoulder and the target is and ingrain that picture in your mind. I struggle with that too it does help. I back off shots all the time because the target looks like it is too close to my shoulder and it is always correct.

Good luck

Here are a couple of easy to implement ideas to use off the tee, which work for me. This isn't new.............
1. Use the logo (or other mark) on the ball to line it up directionally with where you want to go, the same way many people do for putts
2. Start with your feet together and even with the ball. Then move your left foot out slightly, then your right foot back. Don't flare your feet out until you have your stance in place.
3. Continue the habit of picking out a spot a few feet in front of the ball as an alignment aid.
4. The steps above should get your feet square to the target. But of course there are lots of other things that can throw off the hips or shoulders. That is a whole other subject though.

This is my problem also, because I always focused on the target line and the tip of my golf shoes.
Your body alignment is supposed to be your torso, hip and the "heel" of your feet.
Redwood driving range has those golf mat with the alignment aide printed on them, which you could work on your alignment visually. You're luck you got to play today, I have over an inch of snow on the ground this morning.

I was in the exact same boat this summer, hitting it solid most of the time but my miss was way right so i went to check with my clubs head pro and turns out i have good hand eye, cause i was aiming 30 yards right of where my clubface was aiming, yet hitting a cut that would go to my target. Got it fixed and its a lot better now but its just gotta be constant

Do you have a problem squaring up to the basketball hoop ? a wall ? or anything else besides a golf shot ? the cure is easy, but don't listen to these people who it isn,t there job to teach it. It is amazing to me that people will listen to someone who might be a little better than them and do what they say. Would you bring your car to someone who is not a mechenic?

[i][b]Do you have a problem squaring up to the basketball hoop ? a wall ? or anything else besides a golf shot ? the cure is easy, but don't listen to these people who it isn,t there job to teach it. It is amazing to me that people will listen to someone who might be a little better than them and do what they say. Would you bring your car to someone who is not a mechenic?
[/b][/i]

????

My own approach to getting the correct alignment is as follows.

I stand about 6 feet behind the ball so that I can see the ball-target line in my mind. I then picture a parallel line where my feet will be, and while holding the mental image of that imaginary foot-line in my mind, I move around to the address position and place my feet on that imaginary foot-line. That should get my feet aligned parallel to the ball-target line. However, it is the shoulders that must be parallel to the ball-target line, and I believe that when standing at address, one should look out of the corner of the left eye (with the head facing the ball-target line) at the left shoulder and look to see where the left shoulder is pointing. It should be pointing well left of the target - and point about 7 feet left for every 100 yards. So, if the target is 200 yards away, it should feel that the left shoulder is pointing 14 feet left of the target. If you actually feel that the left shoulder is pointing at the target (instead of well left of the target), then your shoulders are aligned about 10-15 degrees right-of-the-target.

Jeff.

Your problem is that "wrong" (in your case, closed) feels correct. Once you fix your alignment, you may have fix your swing a little too. But...play around with the entire pre shot routine.

In some order, you have to set the clubface, your right foot, and your left foot.

My order is set the face, set the back foot, and [u]then place the front foot looking at the target[/u], or the object close to the ball and on the line of flight that I selected from behind the ball. I NEVER move my front foot again, unless I'm looking at either the target or the object. Some people (Sam Snead for example) set the clubface, then the front foot first, then settle in with the back foot. Some people have to stand straight up to set their feet, then bend to get into address.

My guess is that when setting one or the other foot, or the clubface, you are getting off line.

good luck, and don't feel bad. The professionals work on their pre shot routine constantly, because if you set up wrong, everything else is pointless. (ouch)

Wow, I literally was going to post this same exact thing. My alignment is completely messed up! I have the same problem...what looks like square to me is actually way right. I could swear I am set up dead square to the target. When I line up a club to the target or have a buddy look at me, I am lined up 30 degrees right. I have always hit a high draw and set up to play that. But now I am so used to setting up that way and shutting the club face down at impact to pull the ball towards my target that what is totally wrong feels natural to me. If I don't shut it quick enough I hit high blocks out to the right. It is the hardest thing in the world to fix. It sounds stupid but it is true. Unless you've had this problem you can't imagine how it feels.

The funniest thing is that as bad as this is on full swings it is even worse around the green. I set up the other day on a 30 pitch shot. I set down a club at my feet (obviously not a scientific method but a crude guide), and I was aligned a GOOD 10 yards right of the target. So I've guaranteed that I am going to miss by 30% to the right on average before I ever take the club back. To swing myself around so that I am square to the target seems so foreign to me that it's unbelievable. I have learned to compensate by closing the clubface at impact which makes it very difficult to hit high, soft pitches. I can do it but within the first five or six balls I find myself back to the extreme right alignment. And I almost never miss a shot left of the hole. I can hit 50 shots and only one or two will end up to the left and that is usually when I get a little too handsy with my hooded clubface.

And what's really funny is putting. I can get lined up correctly for some reason. The proximity to the hole must make it easier to line myself up. I used to be a good putter but it has all fallen apart with my trying to break myself of the open stance I used to putt with. I grew up watching Nicklaus etc and learned to putt with an open stance. I was a darned good putter when I was young. Now I stink - and it's not all age and the attendant lack of nerves that come with it. The other day I gave up my several year quest to putt from a perfectly aligned stance and opened it back up. I can putt straight back and straight through this way without thinking. I have no earthly idea why but my putting this way is infinitely better.

I wonder if its' somehow tied together. Perhaps the open stance really aligns myself correctly when I putt? I really should get with a good pro who could help me. I don't mind putting with an open stance because I really believe it benefits me and I can putt well enough that way to be happy with my game. But I don't believe hitting full shots or short game shots aligned so badly is anything but a tremendous disadvantage. Takes way too many adjustments. I feel your pain. If any of the suggestions made here work for you let me know. I know what I'm doing wrong - it's just that I feel powerless to stop it.

Does this have anything to do with eye dominance? I am right handed and am very left-eye dominant.