Stewart X9 Follow one year update

I've had the X9 follow for about a year now and wanted to give a quick update. I posted in other threads about the accessories before. Useless accessories, total crap. Only one attachment point, so you have to choose between the cup holder or the phone holder for example. The phone holder is worthless, very flimsy. The cup holder is a size that don't fit much, I found it fits the McDonald's large soda cup, that's about it, especially since it's a rigid cup, not the claw thing that Clicgear does. Umbrella holder is useless, it's a literal holder, since it's low on purpose since a gust of wind can knock over the cart. So unlike a push cart where you push and you're under the umbrella, you would have to hold the umbrella as you walk then place in the holder when ready to swing. Also, when you have the umbrella holder on the cart, the tee holders are blocked...haha... no thought given to any accessories. The worst accessories has to be the cooler bag, it makes the cart unstable, messes with the center of gravity and cart starts tipping over backwards too much. I have a Ping Pioneer so I just the cooler on the bag but that cooler bag is pricey and worthless, so don't buy it. This cart has the worst accessories period. I would think when you are designing the cart, you design it with the accessories in mind, not the Stewart X9. They made the cart and then, hey, how do we make more money with accessories, who cares if they make the cart unstable, who cares if someone buys the drink holder and phone holder and can only use one of them...lol.... just a crappy after thought. The only decent accessory that I bought is the bag, at least when I store it in there, it keeps dust out...lol... but I guess I could of saved money and use a big garbage bag or tarp.

I live in California, so not many people use push carts to begin with but with Covid, it's getting popular. I get asked about the cart all the time, it's like rolling in with fancy car. People want to know a lot about it. I give them the honest review. The follow function is the saving grace of the cart. Goes down hills well. Just have to be careful with it, I've tipped it over a few times in the beginning, you have to know the limitations. And once I stopped using the worthless cooler, the cart became much more stable.

The worst part about the cart is that there is a 40A fuse on the cart and it blows out too often and your cart is useless, you unengage the wheels from the motor and push it the rest of the round. It's just embarrassing to have it go out in the middle of a round and my friends make fun of me...haha... you spent all this money and the fuse goes out. I tried different brand fuses from Amazon and local parts store, it's not the fuse. Since this year because of Covid, I've been using the cart at least once a week. It goes out every 4 rounds or so far, I've blown one last month and just today, everything else is fine. Got extra exercise from pushing the X9 for 15 holes...lol...The hard part of the fuse going out is that it's not easy to fix. You need to open the cart, cut a zip tie, undo 4 Philips screws, not easy but I'm going to have to figure something out. Maybe change out the screws to hand screws and have a wire cutter, zip tie and extra fuse ready to go in the bag.

I am very neutral on this cart being worth it. I used a Clicgear 8.0 for years and coming from Clicgear where all the accessories are well thought out, from the seat, drink holders, umbrella, cooler. I'd be more mad about the X9 accessories if they weren't free during a special, it doesn't even warn you on their website, that the cart has one attachment point for everything.

If the fuse keeps blowing out like it does, I'm going to play a lot of golf in the next 2 months, I'm going to have to get rid of it and go back to a regular push cart. This thing is way to heavy to manually pushing it especially when you paid $2500 for it....haha

• Like 1

I have no idea how common this is, my cart was only used once or twice a month for 10 months. Then Covid hit and I'm using it weekly or every other week and so far, the fuse has blown out 3 times, in the past 2-3 months.

Just be ready when it happens while you play, obviously, it's designed to blow out to protect the electronics. It's a 40A fuse used in cars, so I got spares at the autoparts store and ordered a fancy one from Amazon that has a little light when it blows, both still blew so doesn't matter.

Glad you didn't get any of the accessories. I got them free on some special that's why I have them but I'd be mad if I paid for them.

Some other issues I have are once in awhile the bluetooth follow loses the connection, so I'm walking down the fairway, cart behind me, remote clicked to back right pocket. I'm walking and then I realize the cart stopped following me and so I have to grab the remote to bring the cart to me.... happens maybe 0-3 times a round

I've used my X9 3 days a week for the past 6 weeks. I have had no problems with the fuse issue. The cart has never tipped over. Im not into accessories. Also, the BT has never lost contact. The only problem I have is in the parking lot trying to connect the hand set and I've forgotten to turn the unit on ?.

I don't use the umbrella holder. I use the drink holder on the bag as it's more convenient when you turn around during the follow mode, I use the cooler on the bag, I don't carry my cell phone when I golf, and I use a GPS watch. I don't use any accessories even though I have them and they were free. They all sit in my garage.

I got an email back, Just said it's cause of overload...lol... I'll see if it keeps happening over the next couple months and raise a bigger stink if it happens again soon. Going to put in the zip tie, screwdriver, cutter, needle nose, and extra fuse in the bag for now. You also need a needle nose pliers to pull the fuse and put it back, unless you got small fingers.

No idea. He didn't replace it in the video. I may replace the 4 screws with thumb screws or something so I wouldn't need a screw driver when on the course. I'm still walking 18 holes three days a week with no problems with the X9. The course has been very very wet from all the rain and still no problems. I make sure I recharge the main unit and the remote as soon as I get home.

If the fuse blows that often you have other electrical problems. Fuses don't just blow for no reason. There is a issue that's causing the fuse to blow. Good luck!

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Talk to a good electrician or mechanic. That's BS from Stewart. If they say it's normal then they have a design flaw. Fuses blow because the demand for voltage is higher than the fuse or breaker can handle. That means Stewart didn't build enough circuits in the cart to handle the load required to operate the cart under difficult conditions like very steep hills.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

In this case it's not really about the number of circuits. What it more likely means is that either the fuse is under-rated, it contains cheap components that can't handle the necessary load for the motor to do it's job properly, or that motor controller isn't properly managing the load the way it should to avoid the overload.

Either way, I agree that if they call it normal, it's because of some type of design flaw that they don't want to own up to.

So far I've played 3 rounds and no issues. I suspect that my bag was too heavy and that's what cause the overload...maybe..... I'm seeing if carrying less drinks will help. I have a Ping Pioneer and the cooler can fit 6 of the small 0.5L bottles of water. Carry only 4 and I wasn't carrying much but I've unloaded anything and everything that can add weight to the cart. We'll see.

I'm using a Wilson NFL Raiders logo cart bag. Works perfectly. I carry 3 bottles of Gatorade, at least a dozen golf balls, range finder, rain gear. I have no problems with blowing fuses.

Stewart recommends using a cart bag not a stand bag. The cart bag weighs the X9 down for better control and weight distribution.

My 2 cents is that there is a short somewhere causing the fuse to blow. Wires exposed, or wires or contacts corroded.

• 2 weeks later...

From what I can tell, as an owner for a X9 Follow, it might have more options. It says it can do Power Assist, which is pushing the cart powered without the remote, the X9, can't do that. It seems to have accessories that work with the cart and it has the one function that I miss from my clicgear, the seat. Damn.....haha....... If everything else turns out right, this might be much better than the X9. The X9 has the style going for it, it's like the Ferrari that looks good but ends up in the shop often. The foresight can be the Lexus, looks good, not as sexy, but way more useful functions. I'm digging the seat and power assist.

Sand bottle holder, you can charge your phone.... I guess if you want to stay with Steward, need to get the next gen product.

WHAT'S IN THE BOX:ForeCaddy Smart CartRemote controlScorecard & ball holderUmbrella holderCup holderPhone holder, wireless charger, & USB-C charging cableBattery, external charging base, & charging adapterAdditional golf bag security strapsSand bottle holder

Just looked at the ForeCaddy. Nice looking cart. I like it. The $2000 is the introductory price with a regular price of $2500. That's the same as the Stewart X9.

I don't think I'd use the power assist mode much. The X9 runs up and down hills without any problem at all. The X9 is fast enough that I have to run along beside it to keep up. I know because I got caught in the rain and had to run to the clubhouse. I do use a hand on the handle of the X9 when going in and out of the parking lot. It's just easier to control in a tight place with your hand instead of the remote.

I like the seat and the sand holder on the Forecaddy. Though I'm not sure the seat doesn't effect the balance of the cart, especially on side hills. No way to get a seat on the X9. There's nothing there to support something like that in the frame work of the X9.

All in all, I'm very happy with the big bucks I spent on the X9. Its a pleasure to use and gets easier every time I use it. I quit playing, I live in Florida, 2 weeks ago as the virus is spreading like wild fire here. No golfing for this guy until numbers start to drop off. My X9 is sitting all alone in the man cave.

Smart move by not playing until the virus is more under control. I've been extra careful on the course. I have one of those neck/head wraps and bring it up to my nose. You can wet it and it keeps you cool too.

Well, I played yesterday and the fuse went out again. I think I figured it out. The cart can't handle it when I take too many drinks with me. I had a feeling it was going to blow when the cart was struggling in the rough and bam, around hole 4 it went out. I had a 6 cans in a can cooler and 3 bottles of 0.5L water in my bag. I brought extra drinks for the guys I was playing with. I'm going to lighten the load and see how it goes.

You would use the power assist, it just means you don't have to push forward on the remote. I do the same thing as you, if I'm in a tight space or near cars, I put my hand on the handle to control the cart. Power assist just makes it more natural and no need to put forward or stop on the remote. Many carts are power assist only, the ones that are cheaper than a remote cart.

• 3 weeks later...