Stewart X9 Follow one year update

Have been watching this one as well and have corresponded with the company a couple of times. I can't wait for your review!

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 
Irons - Callaway Apex MB 6-A
Wedges - Maltby 54 60 TSW DRM
Putters - L.A.B Blad.1 and L.A.B. DF 2.1 Long
Titleist Yellow ProV1x / AVX 

• 9 months later...

I have owned my X9 Follow for a little over a year now.   I will say the accessories are limited but do the job.   The one accessory that is missing is the ability to have a sand bottle but i usually just throw one in my golf bag since I'm not carrying it anyways (I notice the Q model now has a sand bottle).   I did not purchase the cell phone accessory so I can't comment on that but the others i have and use every round.   I use a tour size bag and load the cooler up every round and have had no issues with fuzzes blowing.   This is probably one of the best golf purchases I have made in a while.   I love walking while golfing it just gets you in a rhythm unlike jumping in the cart and racing to your ball and waiting on the group in front.  I actually had a battery go bad and they replaced at no cost.  So the warranty works as advertised.   Hope this helps any perspective buyers.. 

• Like 1

On 6/7/2020 at 9:13 PM, moolman said:

I've had the X9 follow for about a year now and wanted to give a quick update. I posted in other threads about the accessories before. Useless accessories, total crap. Only one attachment point, so you have to choose between the cup holder or the phone holder for example. The phone holder is worthless, very flimsy. The cup holder is a size that don't fit much, I found it fits the McDonald's large soda cup, that's about it, especially since it's a rigid cup, not the claw thing that Clicgear does. Umbrella holder is useless, it's a literal holder, since it's low on purpose since a gust of wind can knock over the cart. So unlike a push cart where you push and you're under the umbrella, you would have to hold the umbrella as you walk then place in the holder when ready to swing. Also, when you have the umbrella holder on the cart, the tee holders are blocked...haha... no thought given to any accessories. The worst accessories has to be the cooler bag, it makes the cart unstable, messes with the center of gravity and cart starts tipping over backwards too much. I have a Ping Pioneer so I just the cooler on the bag but that cooler bag is pricey and worthless, so don't buy it. This cart has the worst accessories period. I would think when you are designing the cart, you design it with the accessories in mind, not the Stewart X9. They made the cart and then, hey, how do we make more money with accessories, who cares if they make the cart unstable, who cares if someone buys the drink holder and phone holder and can only use one of them...lol.... just a crappy after thought. The only decent accessory that I bought is the bag, at least when I store it in there, it keeps dust out...lol... but I guess I could of saved money and use a big garbage bag or tarp.

I live in California, so not many people use push carts to begin with but with Covid, it's getting popular. I get asked about the cart all the time, it's like rolling in with fancy car. People want to know a lot about it. I give them the honest review. The follow function is the saving grace of the cart. Goes down hills well. Just have to be careful with it, I've tipped it over a few times in the beginning, you have to know the limitations. And once I stopped using the worthless cooler, the cart became much more stable.

The worst part about the cart is that there is a 40A fuse on the cart and it blows out too often and your cart is useless, you unengage the wheels from the motor and push it the rest of the round. It's just embarrassing to have it go out in the middle of a round and my friends make fun of me...haha... you spent all this money and the fuse goes out. I tried different brand fuses from Amazon and local parts store, it's not the fuse. Since this year because of Covid, I've been using the cart at least once a week. It goes out every 4 rounds or so far, I've blown one last month and just today, everything else is fine. Got extra exercise from pushing the X9 for 15 holes...lol...The hard part of the fuse going out is that it's not easy to fix. You need to open the cart, cut a zip tie, undo 4 Philips screws, not easy but I'm going to have to figure something out. Maybe change out the screws to hand screws and have a wire cutter, zip tie and extra fuse ready to go in the bag.

I am very neutral on this cart being worth it. I used a Clicgear 8.0 for years and coming from Clicgear where all the accessories are well thought out, from the seat, drink holders, umbrella, cooler. I'd be more mad about the X9 accessories if they weren't free during a special, it doesn't even warn you on their website, that the cart has one attachment point for everything.

If the fuse keeps blowing out like it does, I'm going to play a lot of golf in the next 2 months, I'm going to have to get rid of it and go back to a regular push cart. This thing is way to heavy to manually pushing it especially when you paid $2500 for it....haha

Thanks for the honest review. So many people buy something expensive like that and then feel the need to sugar coat any of the bad because of the price tag.  I appreciate when people are honest, especially when it's expensive.  

There are tons of electric carts out there.  I'm thinking there are better price point and better solutions for me based on your review. The northeast is very hilly and tough, it was hard for me to understand how it wouldn't tip over trying to follow me and hitting hills, and it sounds like maybe from your experience my concern is justified.  

On 6/11/2020 at 6:38 PM, 596 said:

Check out youtube. There's a video that shows exactly how to replace that fuse. It's very easy and shouldn't take but a few minutes.

1. remove cover

2. see 4 screws in the plate, remove them

3. Use needle nose pliers to remove and replace the 40amp fuse

4. Put cover back on with the 4 screws

5. Replace cover

He's says the same thing in his review, BUT as easy as it might be sitting at home....it's not an easy swap while you're playing golf! I think that was the OPs point.

• Like 1

I've had my X9 for right at a year.  The BT black box in the cart went bad.  It would not connect to the remote.  I had to send the unit, minus battery, from Florida to Illinois for warranty work.  Took just over 3 weeks total down time.   The CS is great, I have no problems with them.   Its the first BT box they have seen go bad.  The unit now responds to the BT connection better then when t was new.  It moves much smoother behind me and in turns.  

Checking in since I see the thread alive again.

Year 2 now, I think my warranty is about over. 

I had to send my cart in for warranty, it cost $230 to ship it by Fedex Ground to them with the box. Maybe I could of saved a few bucks somehow but I just took it to the FedEx store and had them pack and ship it. My cart was misaligned and the wheel wasn't tracking straight. At least they ship it back to you for free.

As for the fuse problem, it's doesn't happen anymore. I figured it out...haha.. just lighten the load I think. I just put less drinks on it and I'm more careful about using it on thick grass so that the cart doesn't struggle to get around..

I enjoy walking while playing golf and the cart does make it easy. I'm still really torn about the price tag and if it's worth it. The cart is heavy especially with the battery in it. It's not the easiest to load and unload into the car. I miss things like having the umbrella cover me in the summer in the hot sun and having the seat attachment so that I can sit if it's a slow round.

There has to be something better. And yes, the accessories still suck.

I know as golfers, we want to love something we spent big bucks on, I spent over $2500+ on this thing and damn it, I want to love it but sometimes, you have to admit that your old driver and shaft was better and go back. I'm already in deep, my $2500+ is already spent and I really like the cart. It's great not having to push, it's great that it follows me, it's great that it's a cool device.... but I wouldn't get it again, not at $2500+

14 hours ago, 596 said:

I've had my X9 for right at a year.  The BT black box in the cart went bad.  It would not connect to the remote.  I had to send the unit, minus battery, from Florida to Illinois for warranty work.  Took just over 3 weeks total down time.   The CS is great, I have no problems with them.   Its the first BT box they have seen go bad.  The unit now responds to the BT connection better then when t was new.  It moves much smoother behind me and in turns.  

• 6 months later...

I just got a used X9 and it only takes about 2-3hrs for the light on the battery charger to turn green. The instruction manual say it should take about 6 hrs to charge fully. Anyone else have this experience? Am I doing something wrong? Should I leave it plugged in for 6hrs even though the light has turned green? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Stewart Golf X9 Follow owner here since 2015.  I walk an average of 2 rounds per week.  Never have had any issue yet with the fuse so I suspect that is a defect in that individual item?  I never purchased any accessories as they didn't seem useful imo.  The only thing I did buy was an adjustable iPhone holder on Amazon which clamps right on and is quite useful.

The Follow function is fairly nice however with the old version (mine) it tends to eat up more power and I have had a couple occasions where my battery drained with a hole or two to play because I used the Follow function too much. (Somewhat annoying but easy to pop the tires off the motor assembly and have it function as a free moving push cart) They sell a larger 36 hole battery but I don't have that one.  Hence I don't use the Follow function as much.  The newer version (X10 & Q) Follow supposedely has that issue corrected where one could use it the entire round.  Also with Follow mode there are times where it quits following me where I have to use the remote to get it to catch up.  Not a big deal to me but mildly annoying when it does happen.  I've never had it run into me though even on hills when in this mode.

As for hills it's pretty stable and will go up most hills.  Our course has plenty of hills.  However, for really steep or excessively wet hills there are times where I help it up by pushing on the handle to give it a boost up the hill.  Not a deal breaker imo and fairly rare occurrence. There is a little learning curve with steering with the remote and I have tipped it over a few times when I first used mine but that is exceedingly rare to happen now.  

The other thing I now tend to do is to hold onto it and steer it manually when on cement paths or in the parking lot.  The reason being when you use the remote (or Follow) to steer it on cement it will skid and slide when you turn it which tends to eat up the tread on the tires faster.  I learned this the hard way after the first 2 years and had to buy new tires but now they last much longer as I manually steer it on the few times I'm on cement.

The newer models (X10 & Q) are reported to have an updated and improved version of the Follow function such that it doesn't stop following as the older version occasionally does and I believe doesn't use as much battery energy.  Also the newer versions come with a larger 36 hole lithium battery which also comes with an app that allows one to see just how much battery life is left, which would be useful.  The newer versions weigh about the same as the X9 but at least with the Q model it folds up into a smaller profile.  Still mine fits easily into the trunk of my small car.

If I were to purchase this again I would absolutely do so as the X9 Follow has been a great working cart for me and I have had no major issues with it's functioning or ability to carry my bag around any course I have used it.  

• Like 2

I love my X9.  I've had it over 2 years now.  I walk 18 without a problem and use the follow mode nearly all the time.  My course measures right around 9.2 miles when walking.  Its a long haul and I've never had the battery go bad.  I have the standard battery not the lithium.   I leave mine plugged in 24 hours a day.  It is recommended by Stewart to plug it in asap after a round and leave it plugged in as its a trickle charger and turns on and off as the battery needs it.  I charge the remote asap but unplug it after 24 hours and plug it back in the night before I play.

I do not use any of the accessories.  Though 4 of them came free with the purchase of the cart.  

• Like 1

I’ve had my X9 Remote since 2018, and it is one of my best equipment purchases, with caveats.  It’s heavy and bulky, and it doesn’t have a place to throw a water bottle into.  The accessories are a joke (cooler bag which hangs too low), or priced too high (studded tires - which I absolutely love).

So weight, storage, and pricey accessories bad - everything else (motor, power, turning, ease of set up) great.

Make no mistake, this is a solid, capable machine. I love the performance, but I wouldn’t get any the X models if I were buying now.  I would try the new Q model, which looks a lot more streamlined and lighter, but hopefully has the same quality build.

On 1/1/2022 at 4:54 PM, LIFEISGOLF said:

I’ve had my X9 Remote since 2018, and it is one of my best equipment purchases, with caveats.  It’s heavy and bulky, and it doesn’t have a place to throw a water bottle into.  The accessories are a joke (cooler bag which hangs too low), or priced too high (studded tires - which I absolutely love).

So weight, storage, and pricey accessories bad - everything else (motor, power, turning, ease of set up) great.

Make no mistake, this is a solid, capable machine. I love the performance, but I wouldn’t get any the X models if I were buying now.  I would try the new Q model, which looks a lot more streamlined and lighter, but hopefully has the same quality build.

The X series and the Q series weigh nearly the same. Give or take 30lbs without the battery.  The Q looks lighter, but it isn't.

Thanks, that’s good to know.  Even if they weigh the same, I’m thinking the Q won’t be as much of a problem lifting if it indeed folds up into a more compact profile.  I think my issue with the heavy weight has a lot to do with having to use my entire wingspan to lift it.  I have the carry bag, but with two hip replacements it’s actually more difficult to get down to zip the bag than to just prop it up and lift it.  The handles on the carry bag are helpful when I use it, but again, I’m using my entire wingspan to pick it up as well.

On 12/17/2021 at 2:56 PM, tmak19 said:

I just got a used X9 and it only takes about 2-3hrs for the light on the battery charger to turn green. The instruction manual say it should take about 6 hrs to charge fully. Anyone else have this experience? Am I doing something wrong? Should I leave it plugged in for 6hrs even though the light has turned green? Thanks

If you’re playing weekly, you can just leave it on the charger. Mine takes longer to charge depending of course on the length of the golf course, the hills, the steering - but when the green light is on, you’re good to go.  Definitely put it on the charger as soon as you can after your round (no longer than 48 hours after your round) and it’ll stay ready.  I don’t think mine takes 6 hours and I have the extended life battery, usually playing a 3 1/2 hour round with lots of hills and lots of steering.

I like the X9 because when you go to lift it, it is well balanced, even though it weighs 35lb with the battery.  I have a bar stool set up in the garage right next to the charger. I just walk it in from the trunk of the car and place it on the stool to charge. No bending over.

The battery charges in a few hours and my course is 9.5 miles per round.  I have the regular battery not the extended one.

I find my 2 titanium hips allow me to do things I couldn't do when I was 30 years old!  

4 hours ago, 596 said:

I like the X9 because when you go to lift it, it is well balanced, even though it weighs 35lb with the battery.  I have a bar stool set up in the garage right next to the charger. I just walk it in from the trunk of the car and place it on the stool to charge. No bending over.

The battery charges in a few hours and my course is 9.5 miles per round.  I have the regular battery not the extended one.

I find my 2 titanium hips allow me to do things I couldn't do when I was 30 years old!  

New hips equals new life, that’s a fact!  I also have no problem lifting it from the trunk to my work table in the garage (where I blow it off and clean the wheels), but in the parking lot at the course it’s a bit unwieldy. I usually install the battery while it’s still in the trunk (no bending), but then dropping it from the trunk to the ground is awkward, and getting it from the ground into the trunk is even more awkward (lifting into an SUV).  I wish I could bring a bench with me to the course!  If it had less width, it’d be less of an issue, even with the weight remaining the same. 

• Like 1

Just saw on the Stewart website that they offer now a X10, I assume it is an upgrade from the X9 using the same technology than the Q. If this is the case I would rather buy the X10 as I like the design better, even if the Q is smaller once folded. Anybody knows more about the differences between the 9 vs 10 and vs the Q?

13 hours ago, Nic1972 said:

Just saw on the Stewart website that they offer now a X10, I assume it is an upgrade from the X9 using the same technology than the Q. If this is the case I would rather buy the X10 as I like the design better, even if the Q is smaller once folded. Anybody knows more about the differences between the 9 vs 10 and vs the Q?

Stewart is making a big deal of it’s “7th Gen” technology, and improved battery life. I have the longer lasting battery in my X9, and battery life is not even an issue - never crosses my mind.  As far as the new technology, I guess that’s always a good thing, but the X9 technology hasn’t ever failed me.  As an aside, I finally met somebody with the Q on the course, and with the bag on, it looked almost the exact same as my X9, except for those little guide wheels which supposedly offer even more stability.  The major difference I saw was that the Q, when folded, actually has a built in handle for you to lift and carry. That’s a game changer in my book.  I didn’t ask the guy if I could lift it, so I can’t tell you how it feels, but I saw him lift it in the air with one hand, and swing it up and in his mid size sedan’s trunk. That’s absolutely not possible with the X9, which looks the same as the X10. I know which one I’d buy if my X9 would die, but it’s a Terminator, and I don’t see it being killed off any time soon.

• Thanks 1

On 1/9/2022 at 1:38 PM, Nic1972 said:

I believe I read on the web that the only difference between the X9 and the X10 is the badge.  If you want anything different you need to move to the Q.  I think I read this on Motogolf.  

Added... Just found it on that site. The only difference between the 9 and the 10 is the logo.

Edited by 596
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, 596 said:

I believe I read on the web that the only difference between the X9 and the X10 is the badge.  If you want anything different you need to move to the Q.  I think I read this on Motogolf.  

Added... Just found it on that site. The only difference between the 9 and the 10 is the logo.

This is from Stewart: “The X10 differs from the X9 Remote thanks to it's 7th generation of Remote electronics, providing you with even greater control on the course. ... The accuracy of the new Bluetooth communications system has allowed engineers at Stewart Golf to refine the remote steering even further.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, LIFEISGOLF said:

This is from Stewart: “The X10 differs from the X9 Remote thanks to it's 7th generation of Remote electronics, providing you with even greater control on the course. ... The accuracy of the new Bluetooth communications system has allowed engineers at Stewart Golf to refine the remote steering even further.”

The issue that needs to be addressed is the electronic interference that can occur when 2 or more carts are being used in the same foursome. Stewart says to keep a separation of 15 feet between units. In some instances that's easier said than done. I've seen some berserk things happen when they are operated in close proximity to one another. Makes me wonder if any users have had one end up in a lake.

39 minutes ago, raggal62 said:

The issue that needs to be addressed is the electronic interference that can occur when 2 or more carts are being used in the same foursome. Stewart says to keep a separation of 15 feet between units. In some instances that's easier said than done. I've seen some berserk things happen when they are operated in close proximity to one another. Makes me wonder if any users have had one end up in a lake.

I know I almost sent mine into a bunker when I got too comfortable.  I know this thread was specifically referencing the “Follow”, but I have the “Remote” without the follow feature, because it’s important to me to actually see what it’s doing on the hilly course I play, plus, I don’t even like people following me that close!  So if my foursome had others with electric carts, I’d be able to notice pretty quickly if something went wrong because mine is always in front of me.

• 2 months later...

What’s interesting is, mine came with the cushion already attached if you’re talking about the grey silicone cradle thing at the top.  I have the X9 remote from a few years back, so I’m not sure if it came without it for generations prior to mine.  I doubt if a stand bag would have any problem fitting.  I think the only bag that I would be concerned about would be a “Sunday” style bag with a very narrow base, or a very short bag, because the bottom and top straps on the X9 aren’t adjustable - they’ll hold a regular size bag very tight, and that cushion doesn’t stop my regular bag from sitting flush against the frame.  

By the way, in response to the previous question about radio signal interference, what’s different about the Stewart is, they use Bluetooth unlike the other electric carts.  The Bluetooth will only affect the specific cart it’s paired with.

Edited by LIFEISGOLF
Added the Bluetooth comment.

• 2 months later...
On 6/8/2020 at 3:43 PM, moolman said:

Some other issues I have are once in awhile the bluetooth follow loses the connection, so I'm walking down the fairway, cart behind me, remote clicked to back right pocket. I'm walking and then I realize the cart stopped following me and so I have to grab the remote to bring the cart to me.... happens maybe 0-3 times a round

I have the Stewart Q follow cart that has worked perfectly as expected until today.  For some reason, when it the follow mode, the cart all of sudden got lost and stopped following me.  This sounds similar to what was mentioned above.  Were you able to determine what was causing this?  Were you able to fix it?  Any information you can provide would be appreciated.

I have about 300 rounds on my stewart golf X9 and weight is an issue that causes blow fuses. The original power cable on mine was very thin wire and it melted before then fuse blew the first time. A replacement cable got mine back up and running but with too much weight in my bag and trying to go up over steep banks to save time I've blown the 40 amp fuse several times. I've notice the plastic casing around the blue wire has melted so lots of heat being created around blue wire. My best guess is the wear and tear on these small motors eventually lead to blown fuses more regularly because when X9 was new it never had an issue with weight.

On 6/12/2022 at 11:21 PM, LIFEISGOLF said:

Try this: 1.Ensure your handset is turned off.

2. Press and hold down the “Follow” button, then also press

the blue “On/Off” button at the same time: the blue light

on the handset with flash once.

3. Release all buttons and switch on your handset again by

pressing the blue “On/Off” button.

What does this accomplish? 

As far as what bag to use, they recommend a larger bag.  This adds enough weight that allows the cart to react appropriately when turning.  If it's too light to won't turn or go up and down hills correctly. 

I also notice that when in longer wet grass in the Florida heat the X9 will stop following occasionally.  It's not a big deal to turn around and bring the cart forward to me and then get back to follow mode.  Does not seem to do this in cooler weather.  I'll need to check to be sure I'm not out pacing the follow mode when in longer wet grass.