2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

New iGolf Neo Model

Has anyone created a ".glf" file ? It would be cool to create one using Google Maps directly, rather than having to walk around the course first.

I'm assuming from the comments on the Bushnell website they are not[b] [/b]keen to[b][b][b] [/b][/b][/b]share the file format:"[i]"[/i][i]DO NOT open golf course files downloaded from iGolf. The files downloaded cannot be opened and contain no useful information"[/i] (let's hope most of the .glf files they have DO contain useful information !)[b][b][b]. [/b][/b][/b]Pity, I guess they figure they may lose a few $35 memberships (or maybe fewer renewals?), which I can't see is a valid reason. Who would want to save a few bucks to manually map all their courses.[b][b][b]
[/b][/b][/b]

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

[quote name='watty' date='27 February 2010 - 01:22 PM' timestamp='1267248140' post='2280499']
Hey guys,

There's a few of us in Australia that have Neo's and for the life of us can't work out (remember) how to put a space in the course name or custom points when mapping a course on the unit. Can someone out there help here?

Cheers!
[/quote]

No luck?

[quote name='watty' date='27 February 2010 - 07:09 PM' timestamp='1267326578' post='2282306']
[quote name='watty' date='27 February 2010 - 01:22 PM' timestamp='1267248140' post='2280499']
Hey guys,

There's a few of us in Australia that have Neo's and for the life of us can't work out (remember) how to put a space in the course name or custom points when mapping a course on the unit. Can someone out there help here?

Cheers!
[/quote]

No luck?
[/quote]

Watty,

I do not think there is any way to add a space. I just ran through those screens and there is no option for a space or a "_".

[quote name='Kenndo' date='15 December 2009 - 12:49 PM' timestamp='1260910179' post='2126995']
If I want to change the GPS points for a green on my local course do I use the " Map Golf Hole " to map the current hole being played or do I use the " Map Course " and " Map GPS Point " ?

From reading the manual thye both appear to suggest that they do the same thing but I'm not sure .

Can anyone help ?

Thanks.
[/quote]

Kenndo,

Both work, but it is easiest to hit escape (esc) while playing and then "Map Golf Hole".

[quote name='Skeeter' date='09 December 2009 - 03:19 PM' timestamp='1260400769' post='2114703']
So if I download a course and there are issues later, if I have to "re-download" a course does it count against my credits? Also, how can I find the folders on my computer so that I can save courses directly to it?
[/quote]

Skeeter,

As long as you have an active membership, you can re-download courses without being charged additional credits.

[quote name='MetalManic' date='25 January 2010 - 03:18 PM' timestamp='1264454337' post='2203473']
Has anyone created a ".glf" file ? It would be cool to create one using Google Maps directly, rather than having to walk around the course first.
[/quote]Yes, you can do this. I don't know how exactly, but I had communication with another member here who showed me what he had done (taken my .glf file and translated it into Google maps), so I assume it would be just as easy to "build" a .glf file with the points from Google maps entered into the file. You have to have some programming knowledge, which I do not posses unfortunately.

• 1 month later...

I love my neo and only single thing i can find that i dont like is the limit on 10 courses...once in awhile i get a last minute invite to a course not on my unit but downloaded at home

...so i got thinking...maybe someone who is more of a techie genius...golf nerd etc.[size="4"][b]..can figure out whether there could possibly be a way to store more than 10?[/b][/size]
IS it truly a limit based on the drive storage they put onto this device? or moreso a marketing gimmick to promote upgrading to their higher priced models that hold 20 and 100 respectively?

any ideas? I know i tried using the software and it instantly tells you that the ten limit is reached and 11 cannot go on.
I would buy a beer at the turn for anyone who has a creative solution (no portable laptop etc to load at the course..so thats no go)

[quote name='sharkhark' date='02 May 2010 - 02:55 PM' timestamp='1272837314' post='2414347']
I love my neo and only single thing i can find that i dont like is the limit on 10 courses...once in awhile i get a last minute invite to a course not on my unit but downloaded at home

...so i got thinking...maybe someone who is more of a techie genius...golf nerd etc.[size="4"][b]..can figure out whether there could possibly be a way to store more than 10?[/b][/size]
IS it truly a limit based on the drive storage they put onto this device? or moreso a marketing gimmick to promote upgrading to their higher priced models that hold 20 and 100 respectively?

any ideas? I know i tried using the software and it instantly tells you that the ten limit is reached and 11 cannot go on.
I would buy a beer at the turn for anyone who has a creative solution (no portable laptop etc to load at the course..so thats no go)
[/quote]

Sorry, not enough storage in the Neo to hold any more courses. 10 courses with F,C and B, plus 4 custom points maxes out the memory.

The 10 course limit was a problem for me the first time I was called at work and asked to play a course (after work) that was not in my Neo. I solved the problem by putting the sync software and the courses I've downloaded on my computer at work, as well as on my home computer. So... the only time I'm not covered is if I make a decision to play a course not on my Neo, while I'm on the road. For me, this isn't too likely.

Shark,
There's no easy way to do it as far as I can see. Unfortunately if you look at the files they are usally 6936 bytes, give or take 2 or 4. The file structure is actually the same for all their older units, but not their newer units which are around 38K in size. This means that the file could actually contain the information for the Caddie for example, which holds 8 custom points. BUT the Neo will only allow 4 to be displayed. Here's the kicker. There is no standard 'end of file marker' which means each file is read as an entire string in one shot. If they had an EOF, it would be easier to manipulate.

Here's an idea. Sign up for a free Dropbox account, which allows for 2Gb of free 'cloud storage'. Put a copy of all your files there. If you need a file while at work, just download it from there, to a pc which also has the sync software.

I just had a thought, I'll get back to you later.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,
Golfsmith is running a promotion an quite a few GPS's. It's a pretty hot deal in my opinion. Neo $99.99 plus you get a $50 card. Effectively $50.

http://www.golfsmith.com/ps/display/?page=ps/tech_giftcard&scode=EPS122TEC

Free $50 Golfsmith Gift Card!

Purchase a select GPS Unit or Rangefinder below and get a free $50 Golfsmith gift card.*
Use promotion code EPS122TEC in your shopping cart to redeem. Hurry, ends June 19, 2010!

Bushnell NEO Golf GPS Now: $99.99

Wow that is a great deal. I paid $125 for mine a year ago and it was worth it then.

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5, set at 9.5 stock R-flex
Taylormade M2 3 wood R-flex stock shaft.
Tour Edge Exotic EX9 hybrids, 2 and 5 Recoil R-flex shaft.
Taylormade P790 5-PW Modus 105 R-flex shafts
Titleist Vokey 50,54 and 58 wedges
Odyssey 2 ball.

I've been using my Neo for about 3 years now. Still great IMO. Super easy to use, accurate, and gives me all I need to know. I also have the software loaded on my work computer and at home. Along with the courses I have DL on both systems (about 100) And their support is great. I requested a course to be mapped and in less than a week I had an e-mail saying it was done! I paid $95 when I got mine. Well worth it. Also battery is still going strong. I RARELY charge it. If it does die I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. I just don't see a need to spend $200+ on something else...

I have a question for Neo users. I am in the process of converting from a 'pure laser guy' to combined laser/GPS. I own the original iGolf Caddie device. For my own needs (as a combined technology type) I have 2 'not necessarily show stopper' issues with my current device.

1) iGolf mappings so far seem to have widely varying accuracy. This is not my question.

2) My device is marginally accurate But barely OK for me - HOWEVER (THIS is my question) readings are not all that 'stable'. By stable I mean that you very often don't get a 'reading' (where a 'reading' is go stop somewhere, look at the device, and you get a number that varies +-1 yard off of 'the middle'). Sometimes my device acts like that and sometimes it just wanders around by 10 yards or more. I have learned that walking up to 'a place' and get the reading where the device seems to 'pause' is best. If that doesn't work then back up 5 paces and repeat.

But the whole process in #2 is irritating (I would say this happens about 25% of the time for me). And at this point it is irritating enough to make me consider spending another $100 bucks for a solution (if there is one).

Is the Neo better in that respect?

Thanks.

dave

ps. I am strongly inclined to stay with iGolf for two reasons. First I have worked with them on the phone and by email and I just like their attitude and knowledge (apparent knowledge - I am not an expert here). Second the price is right for the Neo (as a second ranging device) and their business model is fine with me (vs. SkyCaddie where your device pretty much doesn't work if you let your yearly membership expire).

I have RARELY had that issue. Mostly on really overcast or rainy crappy days signal strength might not be the best and it wanders a bit. But normally it's spot on. I come to my ball take it out of my pocket and it has a distance.

I have compared the Neo with some of my friends sky caddies and the numbers are usually the same or +- 1 or 2 yards. Which for my level of play is fine. If I could hit it within a yard or two of my intended target every time I would probably be rich and have a caddy...

[quote name='TAG617' date='11 June 2010 - 09:30 AM' timestamp='1276263053' post='2502631']
I have RARELY had that issue. Mostly on really overcast or rainy crappy days signal strength might not be the best and it wanders a bit. But normally it's spot on. I come to my ball take it out of my pocket and it has a distance.

I have compared the Neo with some of my friends sky caddies and the numbers are usually the same or +- 1 or 2 yards. Which for my level of play is fine. If I could hit it within a yard or two of my intended target every time I would probably be rich and have a caddy...
[/quote]

Thanks for the response and I do have a question.

When you say that you have compared your Neo with other devices (like the Sky Caddie) and were usually within a yard or two, did you really mean that?

I can believe that most all devices tend to give the same answer to the 'same question' under the same conditions (like the same spot at the same time). But this also implies that the mappings between the two were identical.

While I can't argue your experience here, on how many courses was this true? My limited experience (so far) with iGolf mappings is not particularly good (and note the word 'LIMITED' - no conclusions should be formed from this).

But two different mappings that are identical to a yard or two - surprising. I was wondering how pervasive this experience was.

Thanks.

dave

ps. I can completely believe this if the measurements that were compared were 'shot distance' measurements. GPS is extremely good at this (assuming that the two ends of the 'shot to be measured' were marked at similar times which would be the norm in a round of golf). The GPS challenge is when satellites move and atmospheric conditions change.

The friend that owns the Sky Caddie I don't play with very often. But when we do I normally travel so it's at a different course. For example we play at his home course in NH I live in Boston. Our measurements off the tee boxes to the holes were the same on every hole give or take 1-3 yards.

Every course I have played, I make a point to find one of their markers and stand on it to check the distance and the Neo has never been off by more than 5 yards. Most times it's dead on.

I can test it further, next time I get a chance. But I have come to rely on the readings it gives me and I'm confident that when it says 170 yards it's going to be 170 yards. In the three years using it, it has not let me down. Best $95 I've spent on Golf.

[quote name='TAG617' date='11 June 2010 - 10:14 AM' timestamp='1276265661' post='2502711']
The friend that owns the Sky Caddie I don't play with very often. But when we do I normally travel so it's at a different course. For example we play at his home course in NH I live in Boston. Our measurements off the tee boxes to the holes were the same on every hole give or take 1-3 yards.

Every course I have played, I make a point to find one of their markers and stand on it to check the distance and the Neo has never been off by more than 5 yards. Most times it's dead on.

I can test it further, next time I get a chance. But I have come to rely on the readings it gives me and I'm confident that when it says 170 yards it's going to be 170 yards. In the three years using it, it has not let me down. Best $95 I've spent on Golf.
[/quote]

Thanks for the follow-up. There is no reason to do more work on my account.

dave

[quote name='DaveLeeNC' date='11 June 2010 - 08:51 AM' timestamp='1276264297' post='2502669']

But two different mappings that are identical to a yard or two - surprising. I was wondering how pervasive this experience was. ........

[/quote]

Dave, My experience is similar. I regularly golf with a friend that has an SG5 and I have a Golf Guru 002. Our yardages on the many rounds we've played are typically within a yard or two. Also I have two other friends that recently got an OnPar & UPro. We've now played several rounds together on the same course, and again our yardages were usually within a yard or two.

I think the aerial mapping that companies have bought is pretty darn good, so it does not surprise me that they can be similarly precise whether walked or using aerial imaging. For example there is a company called Pictometry International that provides aerial survey imaging that is accurate to within inches laterally and vertically. http://www.pictometry.com/home/home.shtml. These aren't the grainy satellite images that we used to see.

I just ordered an iGolf Neo from Golfsmith. I could not induce their online ordering to give me both the 15% discount and the free $50 gift certificate. Regardless, this is one helluva price for a more modern (than my ancient iGolf Caddie) GPS device. Since I am mostly a laser guy, I am primarily looking for additional info for some cases (where GPS is better than laser) and the Neo will give me most of what I want. For longer shots Front/Middle/Rear is more useful to me than is distance to the pin. And there are a few layup/carry situations on the courses that i play that are better handled with GPS. Hopefully I will end up being a 'dual technology guy' (GPS and laser).

As I said in the "GPS frustration thread" that I started, I have worked fairly closely a while back with the iGolf folks. I have an product engineering background and I just felt very good about the kinds of interactions and feedback that I get from iGolf. So (independent of the outrageously good net price) I am staying with iGolf. I am optimistic that with the newer SIRF chipset I will encounter more 'measurement stability' than with the old device.

dave

My new Neo is to arrive tomorrow. As I said elsewhere in this thread I am in the process of converting from laser-only to laser/GPS. My primary requirement from GPS is Front/Center/Rear distance information on longer shots (more useful to me than exact distances to the pin), so the Neo is on paper the perfect answer.

I currently own the original iGolf Caddie device. I found it useable, but only marginally so. The issues were just pure accuracy and 'stability' - my Caddie device regularly goes on 10-15 yard 'walks' (you stand still and the readings go up/down by 10-15 yards). I sure hope this new device mostly avoids this issue. Even though I know 'how to handle it' (back off 7 paces and walk back to the point and take a reading). But it is really distracting.

But now for my question. What is the experience of folks here with the accuracy of iGolf mappings? A sampling of the 6 courses at my home club seem mostly OK. But I play regularly at a number of area courses, and over the past 2 weeks I have resurrected my old technology iGolf Caddie and on both of these 'away' courses' I have found serious mapping errors (10+ yards on at least 1/3 of the holes).

I just wondered what the aggregate experience is out there. In both cases I have sent a note to iGolf and gotten a response that this will be brought to the attention of the mapping department. But I have no idea if/when something will happen here.

Thanks.

dave

[quote name='DaveLeeNC' date='12 June 2010 - 06:55 PM' timestamp='1276383306' post='2505276']
I just ordered an iGolf Neo from Golfsmith. I could not induce their online ordering to give me both the 15% discount and the free $50 gift certificate. Regardless, this is one helluva price for a more modern (than my ancient iGolf Caddie) GPS device. Since I am mostly a laser guy, I am primarily looking for additional info for some cases (where GPS is better than laser) and the Neo will give me most of what I want. For longer shots Front/Middle/Rear is more useful to me than is distance to the pin. And there are a few layup/carry situations on the courses that i play that are better handled with GPS. Hopefully I will end up being a 'dual technology guy' (GPS and laser).

As I said in the "GPS frustration thread" that I started, I have worked fairly closely a while back with the iGolf folks. I have an product engineering background and I just felt very good about the kinds of interactions and feedback that I get from iGolf. So (independent of the outrageously good net price) I am staying with iGolf. I am optimistic that with the newer SIRF chipset I will encounter more 'measurement stability' than with the old device.

dave
[/quote]

My device arrived around noon today. Other than a minor hiccup in getting the sync software to work (which was quickly resolved by a super-quick response from iGolf support), start-up went smoothly. For the record I'll swear that I ordered (from Golfsmith) the iGolf versions of the Neo, but I ended up with the Bushnell Version - not exactly what I intended, but not a problem either.

The 999 yard limitation of the Neo (hardly a problem for 'normal' golfing problems) keeps me from being able to compare readings to various greens on my home courses from my front yard (using identical mappings from iGolf - the closest green to me is around 1200 yards), I just had to drive to the club and do a really quick experiment.

My iGolf Caddie (very old technology) has always been set with WAAS ON and Stabilizer OFF. This was the recommendation that I got from iGolf support a number of years ago for 'best accuracy' (and you take a measurement by walking up to a point, pausing briefly to let the reading stabilize, and THAT is the number). But the Caddie device would 'walk around all over the place' which I found irritationg/distracting.

The Neo device comes with factory standard settings of Stabilizer ON and WAAS ON. So I set my iGolf Caddie to Stabilizer ON/WAAS ON and drove to the club parking lot.

My initial observation was that even with Stabilizer ON'. the Caddie device would still 'walk around a little bit' (but far less than with Stabilizer OFF). The NEO seemed to be rock solid - VERY encouraging.

I had no idea what "correct is" to these greens from the parking lot, but here are the numbers to various greens (sample of one reading) in the format of CaddieReading/NeoReading.

515/518
924/923
252/256
562/566
430/425
220/221
501/502
474/471
584/579
224/220
629/628

It will be interesting to see what I think about the device on the round that I am playing tomorrow. I am undecided about whether I am going to carry all 3 devices (Caddie, Neo, and laser) or just the Neo and laser. There must be a limit here.

But I am encouraged by the EXTREMELY limited experience so far. The Neo is a really handy little device for what I want from GPS (primarily Front/Middle/Rear to longer yardage approach shots to augment my laser). And Golfsmith deal or not, the price is truly exceptional.

More later after I have had more time for evaluation.

dave

ps. One more example of why I just like iGolf. The golf course file formats for the various iGolf (and/or Bushnell) devices are not necessarily the same for all devices (obviously, since some of them have more information than others). When I tried to change my profile to reflect the new device (so I could download the right file formats), I was somewhat disappointed that the process really just generated an email to iGolf support for them to make the change. I'll swear that I got a response in less than 5 minutes saying that this had been done (and also verified that the file formats between the Caddie and Neo are unchanged). Like I said I just like this company.