2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Best Iron Shafts?

bellerivecc

Tour Concept, Project X, X100, etc.
I am curious about what is currently the best performing shaft. I hit some Rifle Project X shafts in Ben Hogan heads and the launch was too high. I know that Phil has had success with these shafts. I played with some tour concepts in Cleveland blades a couple months ago but was not able to judge their quality. Then I recently hit some DG X100 and was satisfied with the traditional shaft. What are the hot iron shafts on tour now and what shafts would you play(No price limit)?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am curious about what is currently the best performing shaft.  I hit some Rifle Project X shafts in Ben Hogan heads and the launch was too high.  I know that Phil has had success with these shafts.  I played with some tour concepts in Cleveland blades a couple months ago but was not able to judge their quality.  Then I recently hit some DG X100 and was satisfied with the traditional shaft.  What are the hot iron shafts on tour now and what shafts would you play(No price limit)?

71357[/snapback]

I have still found the best sucess with DG S300's and have tried and owned many of the others, the ones that I don't like the most are the lighter steel shafts that many manufactures are putting in the irons today.

I am curious about what is currently the best performing shaft.  I hit some Rifle Project X shafts in Ben Hogan heads and the launch was too high.   I know that Phil has had success with these shafts.  I played with some tour concepts in Cleveland blades a couple months ago but was not able to judge their quality.  Then I recently hit some DG X100 and was satisfied with the traditional shaft.  What are the hot iron shafts on tour now and what shafts would you play(No price limit)?

71357[/snapback]

I have still found the best sucess with DG S300's and have tried and owned many of the others, the ones that I don't like the most are the lighter steel shafts that many manufactures are putting in the irons today.

71367[/snapback]

I had a set of project x's in titleist 690 mb's. They felt 2 lite and the ball went way to high. My favorite iron shafts are the DG x100's. But I am wondering how the new TT black golds are going to be.

I play Rifle flighted's....nice and heavy....great trajectory...definately give them a shot i will not play any other shaft now.

DaN "goose" :tongue:

PXG 0811X 10* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0341X 15* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0317 19* w/ Tensei Blue 80X<br />PXG 0311T 4-W w/ Nippon Modus 130X<br />PXG 0311 50*,55*,60* w/ Modus 130X<br />Scotty Cameron Circle T Newport 2

you are not going to find a lower launch then good ole' X100...if you need help in the long irons then Tour Concepts are awesome...

of all the shafts I have tried Tour Concepts are the best all around.

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

99% of players are either going to like the feel of:

1) Dynamic Gold (tip stiff and butt soft)

or

2) Rifle (tip soft and butt stiff)

-----------------------------

So find out which works for you and go from there.

Personally my FAVORITE iron shafts are the Accra Steel. Think, Project X Lite....all the feel of a rifle (and more) but the flight characteristics of a Project X that are SUUUUUUUUUUPER customizable.

Are Rifles supposed to launch the ball higher because i can control ball flight better with them than compared to the TT DG's. I hit them on a nice high trajectory with a piercing flight, but i hit the TT DG's a little too high...they also dont feel as consistent. that just my opinion ...whats ur take???

DaN"goose" :tongue:

PXG 0811X 10* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0341X 15* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0317 19* w/ Tensei Blue 80X<br />PXG 0311T 4-W w/ Nippon Modus 130X<br />PXG 0311 50*,55*,60* w/ Modus 130X<br />Scotty Cameron Circle T Newport 2

I have play TT DG is both my irons Titleist 981's and now Mizuno MP30's.

Is there a big difference between the s300's and the x100's?

Titleist TS2 9.5*, EvenFlow T1100 White 65X
Ping Crossover G 18*, Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 3-PW, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 50*07, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 54*12, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 58*8, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Titleist Studio Design 1.5 Custom Shop
Snell MTB Black

Ive been a TT DGS300 fan for a very long time. Then I got Irons with Project X6.5 and my god I will never go back to TTDG series. The PX6.5 just give me the right ball flight strong and peircing with great balance and feedback. The only shaft I would consider trying out just for sh!t's and giggles would be the Tour Concept's.

I like Dyanmic Gold and Rifle Flighted. Flighted gives a fantastic low-mid flight but i have DGS300 as I have found a lot of success with them.

Titleist TS3 10.5° w/ Tensei AV 55 Stiff
Titleist TS2 16.5° w/ Tensei AV 65 Stiff
Titleist TS2 21° w/ Tensei AV 75 Stiff
Titleist U510 23° w/ Tensei Blue AM2 Stiff
Titleist 714 AP2 5-9 w/ XP 95 S300
Vokey SM8 46°, 50°, 54°, 60° w/ XP 95 S300
Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34"

I had been a DG S300 guy for as long as I can remember, and then last spring my curiosity got the best of me and I fell for the Project X hype. I guess there wasn't anything wrong with the flight and performance of them, but I hated the feel. It had that high freqency feedback and feel of a hosel-rocket, so even if you hit it right on the button - it'd feel almost like you shanked it.

After I paid a lot MORE money to put S300's back in my clubs I returned to the feel I liked. Needless to say, I'm not a PX fan.

I am curious about Tour Concepts though, and will probably bite that bullet at some point in the future.

I had been a DG S300 guy for as long as I can remember, and then last spring my curiosity got the best of me and I fell for the Project X hype.  I guess there wasn't anything wrong with the flight and performance of them, but I hated the feel.  It had that high freqency feedback and feel of a hosel-rocket, so even if you hit it right on the button - it'd feel almost like you shanked it.

After I paid a lot MORE money to put S300's back in my clubs I returned to the feel I liked.  Needless to say, I'm not a PX fan.

I am curious about Tour Concepts though, and will probably bite that bullet at some point in the future.

71647[/snapback]

Yeah... I have the exact same experience w/ PX (and rifle in general), feel is the problem for me.

I'm playing TC now though...still in the honeymoon period but liking it more and more everyday...

cheers,

I am curious about what is currently the best performing shaft. I hit some Rifle Project X shafts in Ben Hogan heads and the launch was too high. I know that Phil has had success with these shafts. I played with some tour concepts in Cleveland blades a couple months ago but was not able to judge their quality. Then I recently hit some DG X100 and was satisfied with the traditional shaft. What are the hot iron shafts on tour now and what shafts would you play(No price limit)?

I was playing DG's and decided to try out Rifles and Flighted Rifles thinking the feel would be better (although I really don't find the DG's as harsh as those who don't like them) The problem I had with both Rifle shafts was trajectory...I hit them way to high for my game. I have since switched back to DG's and have gained more control and a better trajectory for my game. Preference is in the eye of the beholder and what works best for them. For me it is the DG's. :)

I've heard a lot of good stuff about the Dynamic Gold SL shafts--I haven't personally tried them, but friends tell me there's very little difference in performance and feel as compared to the standard DG, with a little less weight which makes it easier to play (less fatigue) and provides a little more distance.

Anybody try them?

What seems iron hot on the various boards right now?

DG SL

Tour Concepts

Nippons

I'd play Nippon 1150 Tour - they play true to flex and have a slightly stiffer tip than other Nippons so the ball still gets up there but flatter. If you softstep them for the SW and LW, they should play to give you good feel around the greens.

I just took delivery of a Scratch Milled LW with 1150/softstepped. Played little shots around the practive greens last night and it appears to retain the feel I'd like in a wedge.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

What seems iron hot on the various boards right now?

DG SL

Tour Concepts

Nippons

I'd play Nippon 1150 Tour - they play true to flex and have a slightly stiffer tip than other Nippons so the ball still gets up there but flatter. If you softstep them for the SW and LW, they should play to give you good feel around the greens.

I just took delivery of a Scratch Milled LW with 1150/softstepped. Played little shots around the practive greens last night and it appears to retain the feel I'd like in a wedge.

I see some 1150's in my future..... currently use Project X but I like the sound of the Nippons.... I'm kind of intrigued by the TCs (not withstanding the horrid colour, although I heard a rumour they may be offering them in plain chrome).but I've never found a TT shaft I liked....

Just switched from the Dynamic Gold SL's to the Tour Conepts....

Liked the SL's more than the reg. DG's, but the Tour Concepts are no comparison. Never been happier.

8.5 g400 lst atmos black 6s (set at 9.2)
16 cally 816 rombax 7w06s (set at 15n)
19 adams xtd atmos blue 8s

4 tm790 modus3 130s

6-8 tm760 modus3 130s

9-p mp20 modus3 130s
50, 54 cobra mim modus3 130s
58 14K sm9 modus 125s

61 scratch sti lbe dg spinner + 
hex t bb0 or spider x chalk

DGR300 or Rifle 5.0. Like them both. The Rifles seem to hit it a little higher and are a smooth feeling shaft, but the R300 feels smooth to me too. I hate the feel of stiff shafts. I know that irons are all about control, but S300's or higher than 5.0 Rifles feel boardy to me and they screw up my swing. I've been fitted for stiff shafts but I just don't like them.