Shaft suggestions

jomatty

***i know I need to get fitted to really know so consider that dead horse thoroughly beaten but I enjoy the discussion and narrowing it down***

Im looking to get a new driver shaft and would very much appreciate any advice anyone has.  I hit the driver between 240-250 and use either regular or stiff shafts depending on the individual shaft.  My swing tempo is very smooth with a very smooth transition.  I’d like t9 be more aggressive/explosive but that’s for a different thread.  I’m looking at the HZRDUS yellow in 5.5 or the eve flow blue in 5.5, and leaning towards the evenflow.  What other driver shafts would be worth hitting/trying for a player with a moderate swing speed and smooth tempo and transition?  It will go on a ts2 head.  I currently am a 6.2 hcp.  Iron play is very much my strong point, but I’ve been working on my driver and making some positive improvements.  Thank you guys for any suggestions!

Try Fuji Pro 2.0 shaft or GD Tour AD IZ if you can afford. Both are great shafts!

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* as 10* HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 60 S

Taylormade BRNR  UST ProForce 65 Retro Burner R

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 20*  UST MAMIYA RECOIL 75 DART S

Ping i525   5 - Gap  Ping AWT 2.0 S

Callaway PM Grind 19  Tour Grey 54*/10  KBS HI-REV 2.0 115 

Callaway PM Grind 19  Tour Grey 58* KBS HI-REV 2.0 115

Callaway PM Grind 19  Tour Grey 61* KBS HI-REV 2.0 115 

Odyssey Ai-ONE Rossie S Putter

Callaway 24'Chrome Tour Yellow/Titliest 24' AVX Yellow

12 hours ago, Phil Major said:

Try Fuji Pro 2.0 shaft or GD Tour AD IZ if you can afford. Both are great shafts!

The Fuji pro shaft is interesting to me.  I like the idea of a shaft that is easier to load but still stable.  At my swing speed (not especially fast) I find that I have a hard time loading the shaft.  When I get to a shaft that is soft enough for me to load it well it starts to feel really soft and control goes out the window.  

I took a long time off the game (20 years) and just started back in the last 7-8 months.  I’m getting better and starting to look at driver shafts and don’t even know where to start.  Spending $250 plus on a shaft is hard for me to do, but maybe I can track down a used Fuji pro 2 in 6-R, for less.  There are some on eBay but not in the flex I need.  Thanks for the suggestion.

What are you currently playing and how does it work? Only reason is to try and find a similar flex profile. Example say you're using a very tip stiff and soft butt section and then try the opposite, you may not be able to get the ball off the ground or just don't get good swings from it. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

4 hours ago, jomatty said:

The Fuji pro shaft is interesting to me.  I like the idea of a shaft that is easier to load but still stable.  At my swing speed (not especially fast) I find that I have a hard time loading the shaft.  When I get to a shaft that is soft enough for me to load it well it starts to feel really soft and control goes out the window.  

I took a long time off the game (20 years) and just started back in the last 7-8 months.  I’m getting better and starting to look at driver shafts and don’t even know where to start.  Spending $250 plus on a shaft is hard for me to do, but maybe I can track down a used Fuji pro 2 in 6-R, for less.  There are some on eBay but not in the flex I need.  Thanks for the suggestion.

The yellow and evenflo are both options I have been eying myself. I used to swing all-out, and in the process of reigning things in for the sake of self-preservation of what remains of my body and getting back to the game myself.

I think torque values are important if you want smooth yet stable. Once torque starts getting too loose, I don't necessarily want to move up to stiff flex, so I look for more stable torque values in a regular flex. Liking my aerotech 95 reg flex in the irons, for example. Plenty stable. Making the rest of the bag follow suit with softer yet stable shafts.

On 9/24/2020 at 3:13 AM, jomatty said:

***i know I need to get fitted to really know so consider that dead horse thoroughly beaten but I enjoy the discussion and narrowing it down***

Im looking to get a new driver shaft and would very much appreciate any advice anyone has.  I hit the driver between 240-250 and use either regular or stiff shafts depending on the individual shaft.  My swing tempo is very smooth with a very smooth transition.  I’d like t9 be more aggressive/explosive but that’s for a different thread.  I’m looking at the HZRDUS yellow in 5.5 or the eve flow blue in 5.5, and leaning towards the evenflow.  What other driver shafts would be worth hitting/trying for a player with a moderate swing speed and smooth tempo and transition?  It will go on a ts2 head.  I currently am a 6.2 hcp.  Iron play is very much my strong point, but I’ve been working on my driver and making some positive improvements.  Thank you guys for any suggestions!

Depending on your budget, the Oban Tour Limited, Kiyoshi Purple and Kiyoshi Gold shafts can be found pre-owned for under $200 now.

The Oban Tour Limited has an amazing feel and kick to it. If you need low spin and use a driver with weighting similar to the SLDR or Sub Zeros, go with the Tour Limited. If you use something more like a PING GMax then you may want to look at the others. I have still yet to find a more accurate shaft for me then the Tour Limited.

If you need a little more launch and a touch more spin, then go with the Oban Kyoshi Gold.

If you use a high MOI driver, then the Kyoshi Purple might be a good fit. A lot of the reviewers on it said it "kicks" like a mule. Personally I think they are right, because there are not many shafts out there that feel as powerful as the Kyoshi Purple does to me.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, blueonblack said:

The yellow and evenflo are both options I have been eying myself. I used to swing all-out, and in the process of reigning things in for the sake of self-preservation of what remains of my body and getting back to the game myself.

I think torque values are important if you want smooth yet stable. Once torque starts getting too loose, I don't necessarily want to move up to stiff flex, so I look for more stable torque values in a regular flex. Liking my aerotech 95 reg flex in the irons, for example. Plenty stable. Making the rest of the bag follow suit with softer yet stable shafts.

I’ve gone to Aerotech 110’s and really like them.  Kinda wish I’d gone with 95’s but overall have been pleased.  

Maybe the Aldila Rogue black 95 msi, or another one I stumbled on that is pretty good is the UST Attas3.  The PX EF shafts feel incredible though, I'd probably go that route personally.

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"