Golf ball for the 70 mph swing: Is the Pro V1/Pro V1x wasted on juniors

MB19

going back to the ball question lot has been said in the past about ball compression which honestly my option part myth. You can go soft but eventually you will loose ball speed. Playing a prov1(or other premium)  any any age once ball striking is decent will get you extra ball speed but more importantly spin. I know younger kids who play a prov1x it spins more and goes even higher now. The biggest issue people make with balls is not practicing with the same ball. You go to the course use range balls to pitch and chip with is the WORST thing you can do. Practice with the ball you play and never underestimate the value of getting a ball fitting done. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, darter79 said:

going back to the ball question lot has been said in the past about ball compression which honestly my option part myth. You can go soft but eventually you will loose ball speed. Playing a prov1(or other premium)  any any age once ball striking is decent will get you extra ball speed but more importantly spin. I know younger kids who play a prov1x it spins more and goes even higher now. The biggest issue people make with balls is not practicing with the same ball. You go to the course use range balls to pitch and chip with is the WORST thing you can do. Practice with the ball you play and never underestimate the value of getting a ball fitting done. 

A few questions for you, darter:

-Where is the "right" place to get a ball fitting done?  Any place that does club fitting, or is there known places that work better with juniors than others?

-What ball does your daughter play, and was that found via ball fitting?  My daughter isn't quite as advanced as your daughter is, but any input you have is super valuable.

-As you've progressed to using adult clubs, have you noticed more hold on the greens with adult clubs than you have kids clubs (low irons/wedges)?

Thanks in advance for sounding off here.

2 hours ago, MB19 said:

A few questions for you, darter:

-Where is the "right" place to get a ball fitting done?  Any place that does club fitting, or is there known places that work better with juniors than others?

-What ball does your daughter play, and was that found via ball fitting?  My daughter isn't quite as advanced as your daughter is, but any input you have is super valuable.

-As you've progressed to using adult clubs, have you noticed more hold on the greens with adult clubs than you have kids clubs (low irons/wedges)?

Thanks in advance for sounding off here.

Golf Ball Fitting - Find the Ball for You - Bridgestone Golf (bridgestonegolf.com)

• Like 1
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

What Leezer pointed to is a great reference and a great starting point. How I do hers and could be wrong but I do hers a bit on my own. I do get guidance from her coach but first things first fit a ball backwards putting to driver. Grab balls have them putt do they like the feel? to firm to soft all that. Some younger kids can't tell the difference between hitting say a prov1 and a Wilson duo. 

Next would be green side chipping again mostly on feel but pay attention to check and release. Where prov1 and higher end balls win every time. Then we back up to 15, 30, 45, 60 yards doing the same method. I'm an old school feel player and can tell a lot from watching a ball but I do have a mevo that I've used to get a better idea of spin numbers. But something to be mindful of is spin launch FEEL again number 1. Grab a lot during this test. Pro1, TP, any brand again all about FEEL here, and what you want to look at. Mine can't stand the feel of Bridgestone balls (even though they spin like crazy with wedges)

Hit irons using any launch monitor you can to gain distance spin launch all that fun stuff. Distance is NOT number 1 here. You want the ball to actually stop on the green, not fly further but it runs off. I still believe how the ball FEELS is the most important factor. You get the idea hit balls look at numbers narrow it down and eliminate it

Driver - at this point should only have two maybe 3 left as you should be eliminating balls along the way. Here where distance matters. Get a ball that gets great ball speed, launch and spin. Some balls where have crazy numbers but you have to narrow it down. During her younger ages where full shots were not as important the fitting was different. It was based on driver numbers first and we are still there a little bit although I plan to do this fitting probably after the new set of golf balls come out this winter.

Current ball is AVX she spins well enough to get enough check. I know a lot of juniors play this ball low spin off the driver, and on longer irons, soft enough to launch high enough with enough spin to check up. Its a good ball often overlooked because its "Low Spin". 

This has been too long of a post for me hope this helps

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, darter79 said:

What Leezer pointed to is a great reference and a great starting point. How I do hers and could be wrong but I do hers a bit on my own. I do get guidance from her coach but first things first fit a ball backwards putting to driver. Grab balls have them putt do they like the feel? to firm to soft all that. Some younger kids can't tell the difference between hitting say a prov1 and a Wilson duo. 

Next would be green side chipping again mostly on feel but pay attention to check and release. Where prov1 and higher end balls win every time. Then we back up to 15, 30, 45, 60 yards doing the same method. I'm an old school feel player and can tell a lot from watching a ball but I do have a mevo that I've used to get a better idea of spin numbers. But something to be mindful of is spin launch FEEL again number 1. Grab a lot during this test. Pro1, TP, any brand again all about FEEL here, and what you want to look at. Mine can't stand the feel of Bridgestone balls (even though they spin like crazy with wedges)

Hit irons using any launch monitor you can to gain distance spin launch all that fun stuff. Distance is NOT number 1 here. You want the ball to actually stop on the green, not fly further but it runs off. I still believe how the ball FEELS is the most important factor. You get the idea hit balls look at numbers narrow it down and eliminate it

Driver - at this point should only have two maybe 3 left as you should be eliminating balls along the way. Here where distance matters. Get a ball that gets great ball speed, launch and spin. Some balls where have crazy numbers but you have to narrow it down. During her younger ages where full shots were not as important the fitting was different. It was based on driver numbers first and we are still there a little bit although I plan to do this fitting probably after the new set of golf balls come out this winter.

Current ball is AVX she spins well enough to get enough check. I know a lot of juniors play this ball low spin off the driver, and on longer irons, soft enough to launch high enough with enough spin to check up. Its a good ball often overlooked because its "Low Spin". 

This has been too long of a post for me hope this helps

Great insight into your process, darter--thank you!

It looks like I need to come out of pocket and buy a few different sleeves of balls to test against the Z-Star and QST.  The short course at PGA Village will be perfect (read: free) for the wedge testing method.  

I've heard lots of positive things about the AVX, I'll give it a look.

• 1 month later...

After some pretty solid results practicing short game with the Srixon Z-Star, I ordered a second dozen of the 5th generation on sale at Amazon.  

I'm putting these head-to-head with the Mizuno RB Tour balls I got off Rock Bottom Golf's 3-for-$75 deal over the next month.  I'm not expecting much of a performance difference between the two, but I am curious to see how the Mizuno holds up physically.  The Z-Stars have been pretty durable so far.

On 10/15/2020 at 10:58 AM, darter79 said:

You correct I am convinced ball compression for the most part is a Myth. 

Titleist holds all the patents on balls and has been the lead for a long time. They also make the most balanced and overall tightest specs on their ball.  They're marketing claims that compression doesn't matter.  Also most pro's still play with their balls for a reason. 

Everyone else and especially Wilson claims compression is a big deal.  Some of these balls are made are so out of spec there is no doubt that ball flight and putting is effected by it.  So I tend to think they're making stuff up to sell balls for a similar price to titleist.

It's hard to know who to believe but I am guessing titleist seems to have edge since they have a lot patents on both the ball and how they make it.  Once those patents expire in the near future all of those claims about compression may be no longer made.

2 hours ago, tiger1873 said:

You correct I am convinced ball compression for the most part is a Myth. 

Titleist holds all the patents on balls and has been the lead for a long time. They also make the most balanced and overall tightest specs on their ball.  They're marketing claims that compression doesn't matter.  Also most pro's still play with their balls for a reason. 

Everyone else and especially Wilson claims compression is a big deal.  Some of these balls are made are so out of spec there is no doubt that ball flight and putting is effected by it.  So I tend to think they're making stuff up to sell balls for a similar price to titleist.

It's hard to know who to believe but I am guessing titleist seems to have edge since they have a lot patents on both the ball and how they make it.  Once those patents expire in the near future all of those claims about compression may be no longer made.

Long Distance Drivers Don't use a tour performance ball for competition for a reason.  Compression means a lot.  It really just depends on what you are looking for in a ball.

• Like 1

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

41 minutes ago, heavy_hitter said:

Long Distance Drivers Don't use a tour performance ball for competition for a reason.  Compression means a lot.  It really just depends on what you are looking for in a ball.

This very true some balls will help you gain some yards.  Although your short game will suffer a lot.   I would also say far way too many people spend way too much time thinking about what ball to use. For about 95% of players the ball is has very little to do with your score. That is unless your buying the Walmart or Dicks sporting goods cheap balls.  In that case your just being cheap and deserve what you get.

The difference between a srixon Q star and prov 1 over 100 putts is probaly about 1 -2 putts.   

That clearly is a big difference for a tour pro.  But if you want to be honest with your self this is not going be the difference why a 10 year old is winning a tournament.

Edited by tiger1873
  • Like 1

I took delivery of the 3xdozen Mizuno RB Tours today, but they won't see action for a few days.

The glossy finish makes them look cheap-ish and they arrived in boxes that looked a little battered--but no matter.  I'm still looking forward to see if they are either as good as some online reviewers say, as awful as leezer claims, or somewhere in-between.

Disclaimer:  I've always had a soft spot for Mizuno, as a brand.  I rocked their catchers, 1B, IF and batting gloves in baseball from the early-80s to the early-90s.  Warm up baseball gear and bat bags, too.  They made--with no real peers--the coolest and lightest baseball cleats I've ever owned (think early-model Rickey Hendersons, circa '81/82, but non-metal).  And finally, the first metal driver I owned (not to be confused with the one I used to sneak from the old man's bag) was a Mizuno I really got on well with.  Am I living vicariously through my kids by putting these balls in play for them, quenching my nostalgic urges?  Quite possibly, but so be it--let's see if these RB Tours can compete with the Z-Stars.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MB19 said:

I took delivery of the 3xdozen Mizuno RB Tours today, but they won't see action for a few days.

The glossy finish makes them look cheap-ish and they arrived in boxes that looked a little battered--but no matter.  I'm still looking forward to see if they are either as good as some online reviewers say, as awful as leezer claims, or somewhere in-between.

Disclaimer:  I've always had a soft spot for Mizuno, as a brand.  I rocked their catchers, 1B, IF and batting gloves in baseball from the early-80s to the early-90s.  Warm up baseball gear and bat bags, too.  They made--with no real peers--the coolest and lightest baseball cleats I've ever owned (think early-model Rickey Hendersons, circa '81/82, but non-metal).  And finally, the first metal driver I owned (not to be confused with the one I used to sneak from the old man's bag) was a Mizuno I really got on well with.  Am I living vicariously through my kids by putting these balls in play for them, quenching my nostalgic urges?  Quite possibly, but so be it--let's see if these RB Tours can compete with the Z-Stars.

Mizuno baseball is great. I wear their turf shoes for coaching. My son has a Mizuno catchers bag and a Mizuno catchers mitt. Fielding mitt is a Rawlings though. I play Mizuno irons and only ever have. Overall I’m a Mizuno guy as well but their balls were a no go.  For some reason my kid has latched onto the TP5 even though he gets Titleist tour balls for free. He says the TP5 spins more and feels better off the putter. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, leezer99 said:

Mizuno baseball is great. I wear their turf shoes for coaching. My son has a Mizuno catchers bag and a Mizuno catchers mitt. Fielding mitt is a Rawlings though. I play Mizuno irons and only ever have. Overall I’m a Mizuno guy as well but their balls were a no go.  For some reason my kid has latched onto the TP5 even though he gets Titleist tour balls for free. He says the TP5 spins more and feels better off the putter. 

Mizuno's first gloves in the early 80s were so much softer than anyone's, hardly any break-in period.  Perfect for me as a kid.  Switched up to Louisville Slugger outfielder glove when I moved to OF in HS, though I still went with Mizuno for just about everything else but bats (always Easton).

TP5 seems excellent.  I do wonder if Tiger will eventually switch to them from his Bridgestones.

• Like 1

Some good stuff here... Everyone has different preferences of course, but my 9 yr old switched from Chrome Soft to Titleist Tour Soft end of fall competition and really liked it better.  Seemed to have a nice feel all around for him vs Chrome Soft.  Definitely putted better with it for some reason... better price too!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MB19 said:

Mizuno's first gloves in the early 80s were so much softer than anyone's, hardly any break-in period.  Perfect for me as a kid.  Switched up to Louisville Slugger outfielder glove when I moved to OF in HS, though I still went with Mizuno for just about everything else but bats (always Easton).

TP5 seems excellent.  I do wonder if Tiger will eventually switch to them from his Bridgestones.

I couldn't afford a mizuno glove in the 80's.  I always wanted one though - I'd still like one but now spend all my money on my kids playing golf.  I do play mizuno irons though but just isn't the same as a mizuno glove

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ncalgolf said:

I couldn't afford a mizuno glove in the 80's.  I always wanted one though - I'd still like one but now spend all my money on my kids playing golf.  I do play mizuno irons though but just isn't the same as a mizuno glove

Don't get me wrong--I really appreciated the sacrifices my parents made for me to have nice sports gear growing up.  But looking back on it, and finding out how much credit card debt they went into by the time I was in high school, I definitely feel like I could have done with less and been just as happy.

All of that said, my father and I knew little of Mizuno when we walked into the Herman's Sporting Goods at Twelve Oaks Mall in spring of '82.  They had a display of some their youth gloves there, and it was impossible to not be impressed by the quality of the leather.  I was rocking a Wilson Bobby Grich autographed IF glove and I was looking to get my first catcher's mitt ( I was using the one included with the team gear the youth league provided the previous year).  My dad was like, "I like this thing way better than anything here, and it's only going to take a few days to break these gloves in." 

We compared it to the a2000 models they had at the store, and the Rawlings (GG series, maybe?) and the Mizuno was our favorites on top of being maybe 20% cheaper.   The IF glove was like $60 and the catcher's glove was like $75.  Good money back then, but you can barely get real leather for that now--crazy.  I picked up a well-used Mizuno IF glove off eBay last year for like $35.  It's far from ideal, but I couldn't digest spending double that for a glove I liked less.

I would love a set of Mizuno irons, but I play so infrequently now that my kids are the main focus... I keep my second-hand Rapture V2 set around because my game needs all the tech (even if it is old tech) it can get!

7 minutes ago, Kcct82 said:

I purchased some Pro V1x’s during Black Friday. I’ll put metallic stickers on and have my kid (max 65 mph) hit various balls on our Flightscope Tour Xi. I doubt he’s consistent enough to show a difference between balls, but will report back anyway. 

I guarantee they go farther than any other ball you try. Increased launch angle will help tremendously at that speed. 

4 hours ago, Kcct82 said:

I purchased some Pro V1x’s during Black Friday. I’ll put metallic stickers on and have my kid (max 65 mph) hit various balls on our Flightscope Tour Xi. I doubt he’s consistent enough to show a difference between balls, but will report back anyway. 

I thought about snagging some as well, and still may.  Looking forward to your findings here.

On 10/16/2020 at 12:55 PM, MB19 said:

Great insight into your process, darter--thank you!

It looks like I need to come out of pocket and buy a few different sleeves of balls to test against the Z-Star and QST.  The short course at PGA Village will be perfect (read: free) for the wedge testing method.  

I've heard lots of positive things about the AVX, I'll give it a look.

Late reply, but I am with @darter79 and have done it on my own.    Great practice and a nice way to spend a quiet late afternoon at the course.   Aside from being useful, my son Loves doing it...thinks its a ton of fun.  I guess he gets that "new gear" rush.

Edited by hangontight
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hangontight said:

Late reply, but I am with @darter79 and have done it on my own.    Great practice and a nice way to spend a quiet late afternoon at the course.   Aside from being useful, my son Loves doing it...thinks its a ton of fun.  I guess he gets that "new gear" rush.

I've never grown out of the new gear rush.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, leezer99 said:

If it doesn't have rust on it then you probably won't find it in my bag.

New gear rush, for me, mostly pertains to photography and what's in that bag.  Unfortunately, I have only been shooting for need instead of pleasure the past few years and have added no new bodies or lenses.  I think I bought a 128GB high speed SD card on Prime day last year--useful, but doesn't exactly get the juices flowing.

My golf game isn't good enough to really worry about my gear.  I do admit that I love the process of gearing up my kids' golf bags, though.

3 hours ago, MB19 said:

New gear rush, for me, mostly pertains to photography and what's in that bag.  Unfortunately, I have only been shooting for need instead of pleasure the past few years and have added no new bodies or lenses.  I think I bought a 128GB high speed SD card on Prime day last year--useful, but doesn't exactly get the juices flowing.

My golf game isn't good enough to really worry about my gear.  I do admit that I love the process of gearing up my kids' golf bags, though.

I have not touched my 7 Zeiss lenses (2 of them Otus) and 5D mk4 for 2 years! 

3 hours ago, Kcct82 said:

I have not touched my 7 Zeiss lenses (2 of them Otus) and 5D mk4 for 2 years! 

Man, now that is just depressing!  Those Otus lenses are about as good as it gets... just sitting there.  Heard lots of good things about the 5Div.

I switched from a 6D/60D setup to various Sony A and E-mount bodies since, and roll with an a99ii/a6000 kit now.  Love my Sony-Zeiss glass, even if they are no OTUS.

45 minutes ago, MB19 said:

Man, now that is just depressing!  Those Otus lenses are about as good as it gets... just sitting there.  Heard lots of good things about the 5Div.

I switched from a 6D/60D setup to various Sony A and E-mount bodies since, and roll with an a99ii/a6000 kit now.  Love my Sony-Zeiss glass, even if they are no OTUS.

Lost me after “Man, now that is just depressing!”