2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

PXG Gunboat vs Blackjack

golfer20

1 hour ago, getitdaily said:

Fyi - the wristlock does require forward press. I always did that anyway so it was a natural feel. If you don't forward press now then it will be odd for you. The higher up you want the bulge to rest on your lead wrist, the more forward press needed.

Oh man - thanks for all of that - now more questions 🙂 

If I am left hand low, that knob goes to the back (away from the target) and hits my right wrist?  Then the putter would have to be a good 2 inches longer to work for me since I grip at the butt of the grip.  Is the end of that grip solid or does the shaft go all the way to the end?

I am seeing this as a giant shot in the dark to get that length right, but your wallet method could get you close.

Having said all that - I was messing around with a piece of foam and a rubber band to see how it would feel and I came across an idea which is essentially a new grip - call it the Wrist Lock grip for lack of a better name  🙂  

I can not take a picture of it with both hands on the club, so I took each hand individually.  This is left hand low as well.

IMG_3192.jpg.1e769b1f3a761612b05453428a1de288.jpg

I interlock my hands so the lower hand is pretty standard, except I run my index finger down the shaft (no all the time) for stability on the way back and my pinkie interlocks with my right index finger.

IMG_3191.jpg.162a774a2c4d7c8d2910788df445593b.jpg

The right hand interlocks the index finger with the pinkie, but instead of my right thumb going down the shaft as I normally would, I wrapped it around the shaft, which creates a rest for my left wrist area.

The picture might be more clear if my hands did not look 4 times their normal size 🙂 

Play around with it and you can see how you can get more connection between the hands.  It can work for a regular grip as well.  I moved to left-hand low about 30 years ago so I am pretty set.

I would be interested in trying the wrist lock grip if I had a better handle on the length issue - I also do not like that hard plastic at the bottom of the SS grips that makes successful removal very tough

My new grip seems to make my grip WAY more stable and I am dead accurate from 8' away - once the temp goes above  freezing I can hit the green and try it out to see if I will use it tomorrow morning on the course 

IMG_3193.jpg.b64576f2ae21f1d914fe2f4d4a61a4c9.jpg

• Like 1

PXG Gen 5 0311 9º, Kai'li Blue, Titleist TSr3, 9º, Ventus Blue

Titleist TSr2, 15º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSr2, 20º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 21º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 24º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist T150 6-48º Tensei AV Blue AM2

Vokey SM9 54º, 60º, Tensei AV Blue AM2

L.A.B. Golf DF3, MEZZ.1 Max reg & Broom,  MEZZ.1, DF 2.1 Reg & Broom

No room to list Bench Warmers 🙂

Just found this on Plugged In Golf's site

My first thought when I saw the WristLock was, “Will I need a longer putter to get the grip into my wrist?”  Answer: no.  The WristLock grip will effectively extend your putter by about 3″, which should position the butt of the grip near your wrist.

I thought it would have to not change your putter or it would reduce the appeal.  I will grab one of the unemployed putters and see who wants a WristLock installed so I can play around with this,

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ajlacombe said:

Oh man - thanks for all of that - now more questions 🙂 

If I am left hand low, that knob goes to the back (away from the target) and hits my right wrist?  Then the putter would have to be a good 2 inches longer to work for me since I grip at the butt of the grip.  Is the end of that grip solid or does the shaft go all the way to the end?

I am seeing this as a giant shot in the dark to get that length right, but your wallet method could get you close.

Having said all that - I was messing around with a piece of foam and a rubber band to see how it would feel and I came across an idea which is essentially a new grip - call it the Wrist Lock grip for lack of a better name  🙂  

I can not take a picture of it with both hands on the club, so I took each hand individually.  This is left hand low as well.

IMG_3192.jpg.1e769b1f3a761612b05453428a1de288.jpg

I interlock my hands so the lower hand is pretty standard, except I run my index finger down the shaft (no all the time) for stability on the way back and my pinkie interlocks with my right index finger.

IMG_3191.jpg.162a774a2c4d7c8d2910788df445593b.jpg

The right hand interlocks the index finger with the pinkie, but instead of my right thumb going down the shaft as I normally would, I wrapped it around the shaft, which creates a rest for my left wrist area.

The picture might be more clear if my hands did not look 4 times their normal size 🙂 

Play around with it and you can see how you can get more connection between the hands.  It can work for a regular grip as well.  I moved to left-hand low about 30 years ago so I am pretty set.

I would be interested in trying the wrist lock grip if I had a better handle on the length issue - I also do not like that hard plastic at the bottom of the SS grips that makes successful removal very tough

My new grip seems to make my grip WAY more stable and I am dead accurate from 8' away - once the temp goes above  freezing I can hit the green and try it out to see if I will use it tomorrow morning on the course 

IMG_3193.jpg.b64576f2ae21f1d914fe2f4d4a61a4c9.jpg

I actually think it's a great grip for lhl, set the same way I have it. The right hand fingers would wrap around the bulge and the left wrist hugs those fingers. Makes everything one piece. I just suck lhl or I'd use it that way.

2 hours ago, ajlacombe said:

Just found this on Plugged In Golf's site

My first thought when I saw the WristLock was, “Will I need a longer putter to get the grip into my wrist?”  Answer: no.  The WristLock grip will effectively extend your putter by about 3″, which should position the butt of the grip near your wrist.

I thought it would have to not change your putter or it would reduce the appeal.  I will grab one of the unemployed putters and see who wants a WristLock installed so I can play around with this,

The shaft goes all the way up to the butt end of the grip. It has a counter core port so I think it kind of has too. 

2 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

The shaft goes all the way up to the butt end of the grip. It has a counter core port so I think it kind of has too. 

The LHL comment makes sense - that makes me want to try it.

The length deal is why their website sucks on this.  You could test it by sticking a wire down the bore to see what is left at the end.  The counter core would not require shaft to the end - it could easily just have that bore in the plastic at the end of the grip and then the shaft starts lower, but who knows - thanks for all the help with possibly spending some of my money 🙂 

3 minutes ago, ajlacombe said:

The LHL comment makes sense - that makes me want to try it.

The length deal is why their website sucks on this.  You could test it by sticking a wire down the bore to see what is left at the end.  The counter core would not require shaft to the end - it could easily just have that bore in the plastic at the end of the grip and then the shaft starts lower, but who knows - thanks for all the help with possibly spending some of my money 🙂 

Anytime dude. I know for a fact that the shaft goes very, very close to the end of the grip.  This is my 2nd go 'round on the wristlock. 

$30 and you have spare putters...give it a go. Fyi, the grip is rectangular shaped so it's squarish feeling in your hands.

• Like 2

Man I got out to try out the grip and it is amazing for me.  I made a quick video that is on YouTube.  It should show what I am doing a little better, along with a short discussion of why I am doing it.

After analyzing the whole thing, my left arm is not in line with the putter shaft.  I would have to be maybe 6-8 degrees upright with my putter lie angle in order to achieve that.  With that in mind my wrist would seem to not hit the wrist lock putter grip pad.

With my grip, I am locking the two wrists together with my right thumb.  Now I need a name for the new grip.

Left Lock Low 🙂 LLL

Try it out and let me know what you think.  I will try it out tomorrow if the course allows (going to be 23º in the morning 🙂 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ajlacombe said:

Man I got out to try out the grip and it is amazing for me.  I made a quick video that is on YouTube.  It should show what I am doing a little better, along with a short discussion of why I am doing it.

After analyzing the whole thing, my left arm is not in line with the putter shaft.  I would have to be maybe 6-8 degrees upright with my putter lie angle in order to achieve that.  With that in mind my wrist would seem to not hit the wrist lock putter grip pad.

With my grip, I am locking the two wrists together with my right thumb.  Now I need a name for the new grip.

Left Lock Low 🙂 LLL

Try it out and let me know what you think.  I will try it out tomorrow if the course allows (going to be 23º in the morning 🙂 

Just tried it...not for me, putter head was all over the place. With the wristlock grip, the fingers of your right hand would be against your left wrist rather than your right thumb. 

Got to play today with the new grip today - kind of a mixed bag.  I made a few putts but I left over 10 putts short in the heart.

I also ordered a Write-Lock grip and it will arrive tomorrow.  I will mess around with that as well to compare. I am hoping the square shape works - I have been using the Lamkin Sink Fit grip and it is square and I really like it.  I do not like the SS gris that have pronounced seam on the back side, so my fingers are crossed.

It is hard to evaluate the grip because the temps were 19º overnight and when we got out it was like majorly heavy due on the greens that slowed everything WAAY down.  I only got 1 putt pat the hole and that was on #10 - I hammered it 6' pat the hole on purpose to say I did it 🙂   The encouraging thing was that  everything was  right on line

I will make sure to measure the position of the end of the internal core of the grip so I can get it in the right position.

Anyone else using the WL grip? 

20 minutes ago, ajlacombe said:

Got to play today with the new grip today - kind of a mixed bag.  I made a few putts but I left over 10 putts short in the heart.

I also ordered a Write-Lock grip and it will arrive tomorrow.  I will mess around with that as well to compare. I am hoping the square shape works - I have been using the Lamkin Sink Fit grip and it is square and I really like it.  I do not like the SS gris that have pronounced seam on the back side, so my fingers are crossed.

It is hard to evaluate the grip because the temps were 19º overnight and when we got out it was like majorly heavy due on the greens that slowed everything WAAY down.  I only got 1 putt pat the hole and that was on #10 - I hammered it 6' pat the hole on purpose to say I did it 🙂   The encouraging thing was that  everything was  right on line

I will make sure to measure the position of the end of the internal core of the grip so I can get it in the right position.

Anyone else using the WL grip? 

I put a 50g countercore weight in mine today and it made a pretty big difference.  Surprised how much difference it made. I also tried it in another putter and it didn't help as much. Seems it has more influence when it's above your hands.

7 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

I put a 50g countercore weight in mine today and it made a pretty big difference.  Surprised how much difference it made. I also tried it in another putter and it didn't help as much. Seems it has more influence when it's above your hands.

Cool - I do not have any SS counter weights but I have a ton of the GolfWorks ones so I will mess around with that as well

I used the Bat Attack today and it was between that and BlackJack - the BlackJack is better for me to hit distance - seems to put more into the strikes for the putts - I will try the BJ next week

2 minutes ago, ajlacombe said:

Cool - I do not have any SS counter weights but I have a ton of the GolfWorks ones so I will mess around with that as well

I used the Bat Attack today and it was between that and BlackJack - the BlackJack is better for me to hit distance - seems to put more into the strikes for the putts - I will try the BJ next week

In my frustration with the blackjack, I looked into phantom x putters. Tried all the .5 models since I want toe hang. The 7.5 showed REALLY good promise. Didn't plan on getting one but looked at prices. Was going to wait until I fully decided on the blackjack. Well, went to put the wristlock on the blackjack and the store had a phantom x 7.5 for about $50 less than any I've seen sold. So I bought it. 

And it appears it'll take the gamer spot in my bag. Longer putts are closer. Short putts are automatic. And that's even with the improvements the wristlock and counter weight made. 

• Like 1