Bushnell V5 (nonslope) Precision NX9 slope

Looking for new laser and have some gift cards to use. The Bushnell (although not slope) is $30 more than the NX9 which has slope. Never had a RF with slope so not sure if I need. 

I think I like the Bushnell optics better which is less busy. Anyone have a preference of these two? Preference for slope? FYI- I do not play tournaments so that is not a concern. 

I have a Bushnell V4 and a V4 Slope.  I gave the V4 to my wife when I got the Slope model but I hardly ever use the slope mode.  What I found was that there was very little adjustment factor in actual use.  On very hilly holes I just go back to relying on my own judgement.  My vote is save your money and forego the slope.   

I would opt for the Slope, also you get free batteries for life from PP! I've had both brands and when my Bushnell had problems I got no help from Bushnell Customer Service and you will find similar experiences all over these threads. They are both great products and the laser technology is a level playing field,

I prefer to support a smaller home grown Company. Take the savings and have a dinner out!

17 hours ago, cristphoto said:

I have a Bushnell V4 and a V4 Slope.  I gave the V4 to my wife when I got the Slope model but I hardly ever use the slope mode.  What I found was that there was very little adjustment factor in actual use.  On very hilly holes I just go back to relying on my own judgement.  My vote is save your money and forego the slope.   

That is something I noticed about slope. I have been in what I thought were fairly uphill or downhill approaches and the slope adjusts a few yards based in a playing partners laser. So, that makes me think slope is not a big deal. 

I had nx9 and didn't care for it. Yeah it's cheaper and has exceptional customer service, but my bushnell v4 shift has been much better. PP did improve the button placement than what it was before which was terrible, but my Bushnell performs better in the morning with slight fog when PP didn't work. 

I have slope and don't see a huge need for it unless you play at a very elevated course. 

I wouldn't purchase a rangefinder without slope.  If you are buying it for true accuracy to the pin, it doesn't make sense to me to not incorporate slope (assuming you are in non-tournament play) even if it is only 4-5 yards.  For that reason I'd go with the PP unless you feel like spending the additional funds for a Bushnell slope model.

So I went with the Bushnell. A few reasons- slope for me was not a must. I have used a Laser for 6-7 years and have found slope not so important. I play with a guy with slope and I am always within a yard or two on the slope. So the Bushnell to me seemed a little better quality build. The optics for me was a big one. I felt Bushnell was a bit clearer and much less busy. Not sure why I need a resign showing tenths of a yard on the PP. The battery program on the PP is nice but not a factor for me. I don’t play 100 rounds a year and a battery lasts me multiple seasons. So the optics for me were a winner but the main thing for me was it seems the Bushnell does better in the less than ideal weather such as fog. Seems in the boards here say Bushnell is good for that. I play a lot of early morning rounds before work so hazy conditions are common. 

• Like 3

I can understand why Bushnell seems the better option - only us$30 difference between them.

Unfortunately, here in Aus, the Bushnell v5 non slope is nearly 60% dearer (au$200 / us$140) than the NX9 slope, and more than double the price of the NX9 non slope.

Factoring that in, is the v5 non slope worth over twice the price of the NX9 non slope?

9 hours ago, benno_r said:

I can understand why Bushnell seems the better option - only us$30 difference between them.

Unfortunately, here in Aus, the Bushnell v5 non slope is nearly 60% dearer (au$200 / us$140) than the NX9 slope, and more than double the price of the NX9 non slope.

Factoring that in, is the v5 non slope worth over twice the price of the NX9 non slope?

That is a big difference. For me, I like the optical view better but that doesn’t mean you would. That is just a preference. The fog/haze quality of the Bushnell is big for me since I play   a lot of early morning rounds. For you that may not be an issue. Seems the PP does get good reviews for a budget laser. To be honest, I would probably not pay double for the Bushnell. To me that is a big difference. I think the Bushnell is slightly better but not twice as good. 

So on course update. Bushnell hands down is better for me. The optical is clearer. The reading is also faster than the PP. The PP takes a second to read and Bushnell is instant. I also like the button for the reading. Bushnell feels sturdy. PP buttons seems flimsy. Overall build quality is better for the Bushnell. My partner ironically today had the PP so was good to compare in course. As for yardages they were within a yard of each other so that was a push. 

• Like 2

I have had a Bushnell Pro X2 for a few years but it took a couple tumbles this year over some rough terrain and a “less than awesome” magnet strap.  It has gotten inaccurate over time.  That is my fault, not Bushnell’s.

I decided to replace with PP NX9 Slope.  It was between that or the Bushnell Tour V5 Slope.  Courses in my area have a lot of elevation so I do value slope feature.  I don’t always “trust” it, but I do use it as a gauge.  For the difference of about $140 less I decided to try the smaller company with the customer service reputation.  So far so good.  So far it’s doing everything I need it to do.  Yes, it’s a touch slower than the Bushnell, but it really doesn’t bother me.  It this doesn’t work out over time I would go back to Bushnell, but so far this is meeting my needs and it feels good to support a growing company.

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 MAX 7W 21*, Ventus TR Blue 8X 

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini CH /or/ Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

On 11/2/2020 at 10:10 PM, Flyers99 said:

That is a big difference. For me, I like the optical view better but that doesn’t mean you would. That is just a preference. The fog/haze quality of the Bushnell is big for me since I play   a lot of early morning rounds. For you that may not be an issue. Seems the PP does get good reviews for a budget laser. To be honest, I would probably not pay double for the Bushnell. To me that is a big difference. I think the Bushnell is slightly better but not twice as good. 

I ended up getting a very good deal on a non-slope v5. Used it for the first time yesterday. Holy cow this long locks on to the flag - fast! Even with trees behind the hole, and the flag hanging limp, it picks it up instantly. Every time (1 rd old). Still haven't seen a PP in the wild, but this v5 is a massive upgrade from the z6.

1 minute ago, benno_r said:

I ended up getting a very good deal on a non-slope v5. Used it for the first time yesterday. Holy cow this long locks on to the flag - fast! Even with trees behind the hole, and the flag hanging limp, it picks it up instantly. Every time (1 rd old). Still haven't seen a PP in the wild, but this v5 is a massive upgrade from the z6.

Yeah it is super easy and fast. Super quality build too. Feels like it will last a long time. I am very happy with the purchase. 

• 2 months later...

Did anybody have issues with the viewport on the V5 or the NX9? I can't get a clear picture from either. Apparently too much 'eye relief' means I can't put it up close to my eye like I did the older bushnell Tour V2. 

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide