2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Any "regular Joe's" finding much difference with Ventus shafts?

On 9/14/2023 at 7:05 PM, gvogel said:

Then, with trepidation, I put the Ventus TR 5 R shaft in the TSR2 head.  Bingo.  I thought it would be too much shaft for me, but I striped 10 or 11 shots in a row right where I wanted them, slight draw.  One or two hung right, but certainly playable.  One hooked a bit, but certainly playable.  The shaft felt so stable; it just felt like the head was just were I needed it at impact.

Interesting.  I'm hitting the stock non-velo Ventus Blue 5R shaft pretty well in Sim2 Max driver (SS in 90's somewhere), but when I go after it, I am getting too much spin as ball just keeps ballooning up and up (still flying pretty far).  I was deciding between Velocore Blue 5R vs Blue TR 5R to try but was afraid TR may be too much.  Hmm. 

Edited by drjlo

My SS is right at about 100mph. On a simulator I find that when I really step on my driver (getting 260-270 out of it), it seems like it goes even straighter, probably to do with the shaft I play, which brings me to my point... I do, however, like to swing a lot smoother than that out on the golf course because I feel most comfortable that way. For me, I feel like with my realistic 90-95 or so mph swing speed, I still have absolutely no issue playing the Ventus 6S VC (non TR). In fact, I just hit 13 of 14 fairways the other day as an 8.1 handicap because the shaft is just so stable and reliable. Launch isn't crazy high, in fact, I need a 10.5 degree head to help get the ball flight from a medium trajectory to a higher trajectory even with my fade ball flight; however, it is usually a smooth, comfortable fade starting out on the left and bringing it back toward the center. Getting pretty normal yardage out of it (for me around 230-240), maybe a bit less than a regular flex (especially red) Ventus, but am willing to hit more 5 woods and long irons in if it means I'm hitting out of the fairway. I think it has helped my score a lot versus the old SIM driver I played a year or so ago. Also tried a Paradym with a Hazardous Smoke 50g Stiff shaft and didn't like it very much. Low launch even at 10.5 degrees and kind of accentuated my right miss. I think the Ventus VC shafts are definitely a good investment, you will probably never need to replace it as long as the adapters for your preferred driver brand stay the same. May be worth getting fitted for the launch, kick point, etc. you need so you're playing the correct weight and type of Ventus. Stiffness shouldn't be an issue for shorter hitters like me though as the stiff blue seems to go pretty straight at a mid 90s SS with a fade player. Just my two cents!

• Like 2

On 9/14/2023 at 10:05 PM, gvogel said:

Funny thing happened on the way to the Forum.

I asked the pro at my course if he could order a Ventus TR 5 R from Titleist, as that seemed to be the softest tipped Ventus that Titleist carries.  He answered that he thought that Titleist would only sell a compete driver, not just a shaft with a Titleist tip.  So, I forgot about the conversation.

I then got on a launch monitor, and much to my dismay, found my swing speed to be 78 or so.  I wasn't swinging well, and hitting the ball all over the face of my G425 (stock regular), and so we agreed to get together again when I was swinging well.

I think that I have been battling the driver yips.  If you were to see me play on a difficult course with a better player, you would have come to the same conclusion.  Many drives were going pathetically blocked off to the right, or compensated dead left.  Both in the trees.  Very, very disheartening.  Iron shots off tees on par 3's were just as pathetic.

I ordered a Ventus Blue 5 R2 (which was suggested on the Fuji website fitting).  It made sense to me, given the swing speed on the launch monitor.  A senior shaft; Im 70.  I am waiting for that shaft.

Meanwhile, I got a call from the pro that the Ventus TR 5 R arrived.  I was surprised, but I picked it up to try it, thinking that I would sell it if it were too much shaft.

In the last week I have been working on releasing the club with my left hand, before my shoulders square up.  It is a pre-swing drill that a friend, and mini-tour player taught me.  I have been hitting better shots.

Tonight I warmed up, hitting my 9-iron, 7-iron, and TaylorMade 300 mini driver.  Then I hit a few with the TSR2/HZRDUS 50 5.0 shaft that I was fit for early this year.  Somewhat better results than previously.

Then, with trepidation, I put the Ventus TR 5 R shaft in the TSR2 head.  Bingo.  I thought it would be too much shaft for me, but I striped 10 or 11 shots in a row right where I wanted them, slight draw.  One or two hung right, but certainly playable.  One hooked a bit, but certainly playable.  The shaft felt so stable; it just felt like the head was just were I needed it at impact.

Even if another "fitted" shaft gave better launch numbers on a launch monitor, the fact that the TSR2/Ventus TR 5 R combination was so straight and predictable would give me pause to play another shaft.  With that shaft, I have never hit a Titleist driver that was that forgiving.

I will try the Ventus Blue 5 R2 when it arrives in my Ping G425 driver.  That may, or may not be good.  But the combo that I tried tonight was money.  I could even take a shorter, controlled swing, and the ball flew straight and true.

After playing the Ventus TR Red 5 R for a week or so, I am very happy.  I have regained confidence in my driver.  The TSR2 - Ventus feels so solid, and I am hitting the ball the way I want to most of the time.

Just to check that I have the right shaft, I went to Club Champion to get a read on numbers and try other shafts.  Tried the Ventus TR Blue 5 R, a Drago, and one other shaft.  The Ventus Red gave the best numbers, and most distance.  The Ventus TR Blue was just a little bit straighter, but not as long.  The others, not so good.  So it is nice to have the confidence in the driver that is in my bag.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

I would love to try a Ventus red 6R up against the HZRDUS smoke red RDX 6R that I just put in my driver.  This shaft with the TE Exotics C721 driver is easily the longest and most consistent combo I've ever played.

Tour Edge c721/HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 3 wood/UST Elements MK
Ping g410 4h Tensei blue

Maltby TS3 6-Gap w/Nippon N.S. Pro 1050GH

SnakeEyes 685BX 52*/Callaway Jaws Raw 58Z

TP Mills Sycamore Hakd Made, flow neck pencil shaft, 342 grams, Grip Master Roo FL27

Carbon Ringo wide-flange, slant neck, 330 grams

GP Side Saddle Broomstick, 45"

3 hours ago, sm_watts said:

I would love to try a Ventus red 6R up against the HZRDUS smoke red RDX 6R that I just put in my driver.  This shaft with the TE Exotics C721 driver is easily the longest and most consistent combo I've ever played.

C721 is the best driver I've ever had.

• Like 1

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter