New course in Old Bridge NJ

philsRHman

Saw this story pop up this week. Aside from the fact the writer doesn’t seem too familiar with golf, I’m pretty surprised to see plans for a new course in Old Bridge/Middlesex county. I honestly can’t remember the last new course to open in central Jersey. It might even be Pebble Creek (completely uninspiring in my opinion), which probably opened in the late 90s and Charleston Springs around that same time. 

Lord knows Middlesex can use an upgrade on county courses but it’s unclear if it will be public or private. Public it’ll compete with the really excellent Monmouth county courses. If private, what’s the niche? Glenwood has the low end. Bella Vista and Colts Neck have gone semi primate. Battleground is a step up. 

Story says they’re working with Stephen Kay, who has a solid if not eye-popping portfolio (Scotland Run is good, others I haven’t been as much a fan of like Emerald Golf Links), but you can assume they’re not going high end daily fee with him as the choice. 

Is this the first sign that the full tee sheets are going to pull investors who sat in the sidelines for 20 years now see full tee sheets and an opportunity?

4 hours ago, LeoLeo99 said:

Sounds like it's just replacing Glenwood with a new course.  

Wow, you know what? I think they went back and rewrote this story almost entirely. I just clicked to look at something and sure enough, it's much clearer than what I first read. It's very interesting because Glenwood is owned by the Brunetti family, which rumor was that the patriarch had written into his will that Glenwood would always remain a golf course, especially as an amenity for his apartment complex residents (who get a discount on membership). Where they're talking about building the new course is old farm land, I don't think you could ever get trucks in and out for a warehouse, so the Route 9 location would be a lot more valuable. 

They've also started work on a huge new housing area just north on 9, google maps already shows roads that don't even exist. 

3 hours ago, NJgolfer11 said:

So are they just redoing Glenwood?

The clubhouse itself should be demolished. It is practically a VFW building.

The way I read it, if the developer is donating it to the township for 20 years, then it would be operated as a municipal course (I guess like West Orange is doing with Rock Spring). Seems maybe it was a deal to allow Glenwood's owner to sell to a group that wanted the land without replacing the open space elsewhere.  Also, if this kind of deal has been it the works, maybe that's why they haven't spent any real money to upgrade the current facilities literally in decades (other than cosmetics like paint and carpet).

I think Old Bridge would have a very hard time explaining using other open space to operate a private club, unless, I suppose, it was some kind of deal where residents get a preferred rate, but it kind of flies in the face of township run public space, right?

Edited by philsRHman

Kelly Blake Moran has a design for a course in Old Bridge as well but they never went ahead with it.  Glen wood is definitely in need of a redesign 

Taylormade Sim2 8* HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5
Cobra RAD Speed 3W HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5
Callaway XR16 5W 18* Kuro Kage TiNi X 
Srixon Z565 Nippon Modus 3 120S
Titleist SM8 50*
Titleist SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Ping Kushin Sigma

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd say the chances that an 18 course, pitch and putt and mini golf course are all created on this new property are slim to none. I can certainly see the course made but unless the ownership has money to piss away, I don't see a pitch and putt or mini golf course being profitable in that spot. Top Golf has crushed driving ranges in this area, there are at least 4 (including the Hole in One Pitch and Putt) that I can think of in the area that have closed since Top Golf opened, don't see the upkeep of a pitch and putt making it around here. 

• 10 months later...
16 hours ago, jints07 said:

Anybody know of updates to this?  I live in Old Bridge and everything moves at a snail's pace and with very little communication to residents.

Supposed to be a planning board meeting to discuss soon. There layout mock-ups are on the township site, but they weren’t easy to find. I’ll have to hunt again and see. Looks like a Stephen Kay design. Troon would

manage. Developer owns some private clubs in NY. At a planning board meeting in December they said it would be a relatively quick construction and if they can get seeded in ‘22 it could open in ‘23. 

On 3/19/2021 at 10:17 AM, NJGolfer0624 said:

I'd say the chances that an 18 course, pitch and putt and mini golf course are all created on this new property are slim to none. I can certainly see the course made but unless the ownership has money to piss away, I don't see a pitch and putt or mini golf course being profitable in that spot. Top Golf has crushed driving ranges in this area, there are at least 4 (including the Hole in One Pitch and Putt) that I can think of in the area that have closed since Top Golf opened, don't see the upkeep of a pitch and putt making it around here. 

I think the demise of driving ranges has been the value of the land winning out. This will be green space designated, so no risk of that. As for the pitch and putt, will have to reserve judgment. The one on 34 down near Wall seemed to be busy all summer. Could be seen as a more family friendly amenity, and based on the plans, you can see they had the extra space. Highly doubt it’s truly a short course like you’d see at most of the leading resorts now but sure would be nice to have a course quality short course available. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/4/2022 at 9:48 PM, Jersey golfer said:

Here is a link to an article about the projected course and its facilities.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/small-jersey-town-open-municipal-130010870.html

I’ve been able to attend or watch most of the meetings. If anyone has questions, I can try to answer them here or via DM

On 4/4/2022 at 9:48 PM, Jersey golfer said:

Here is a link to an article about the projected course and its facilities.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/small-jersey-town-open-municipal-130010870.html

Good stuff. I am pretty close by in Hazlet. Always nice to have a new course nearby to add to the rotation of the Monmouth County's

• 1 month later...

Drove by this space yesterday and the work is underway. Still a long way from a golf course but can see earth being moved, trees on the perimeter being cleared. It’s mostly old farm land so it shouldn’t be a huge operation. Last I heard they’re aiming to get seed down in time for a late 2023 soft open, but that seems like a stretch. To be honest, it’s shocking just to see the work started, I was skeptical it would ever happen. 

• 10 months later...

Drove past yesterday. Still a lot of heavy machinery on site, which seems weird given how much shaping seems to be done. But I don’t know the first thing about course construction, could be for cart paths for all I know. Agreed that it doesn’t look close to ready, I guess the next 2-3 months are critical grass growing month before we get to the dead of summer.  The holes across the road actually look cool from afar, and the clubhouse is up, which makes the whole thing feel a little more real. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/22/2023 at 8:56 AM, jints07 said:

Anyone have any additional news?  Driving range was supposed to open by memorial day but no info available and there doesnt appear to be any website yet.

Someone posted a drone flyover on YouTube. Not sure when it was taken but if recent, there’s still a lot of grass to grow. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwAR0NlwhozQLcFsURRK_T-Pn1evMu1pXucbBQE0UXGwf8_I4SvKzTsglkleY&v=MfYKn5PgI5s&feature=youtu.be&mibextid=Zxz2cZ