SIM vs SIM2 - head to head testing thread

getitdaily

Cracked my sim last weekend. Quickly bought a head on bst. Went to edwin watts to swap my cracked sim for a sim2. Got the sim2 fitting done today. I'll update this thread with 3 tests:

1. Launch monitor

2. Range

3. On course

Launch monitor today. 

In the pic:

1 - sim2 9, upright lie, 8.25 degree 125msi rogue 

2. Sim2 9, std loft and lie 125msi rogue 

3. Sim 9, upright, 9.75 loft ventus blue 6x

4. Sim 9, upright, 9.75 loft 125msi rogue

Note: my sim has 18g total backweight. Std weight is 12g.

20210513_174136.jpg.252e2dfd5721013b043b36be3c0b5710.jpg

I hit sim2 9 in my ventus blue first at 9*. We noticed launch was a little low, around 9-10 degree consistently. Strike was a bit low too. Popped my 125msi rogue in it and launch came up, strike came up, spin pretty much stayed the same. 

I hit sim2 max but it is definitely draw biased. It went left often.

Sim2 at 9 looked a bit closed so I dropped it to 8.25 and put it in the upright lie position. Launch came up even more and spin stayed about the same. 

I tested sim2 with 6g lead tape on the sole right at the backweight. 

OG sim did what it does. Consistent. I have a 17g backweight with 1g lead tape back on my sim. 

Next up is some range time. I ordered a 6g front weight and 22g backweight for the sim2 so I won't range test it until next weekend. 

For me, OG sim 9 lofted up to 9.75 is equal to sim2 9 at std or lofted down to 8.25. 

I don't know what setup gave me the longest driver but you can see that sim2 at 8.25 gave best ballspeeds. That pic above was after 45 drives. I hit 3 drives per driver setup after I selected the sim2 head I wanted. 

I do know that sim2 gave me the fastest 1 swing ballspeed...hit 164 on one of the sim2 drives. 

Edited by getitdaily
  • Like 3

I have both the SIM and SIM2, each fitted by Cool Clubs with the same shaft (Ventus Blk).  I prefer the sound, feel and performance of the original SIM over the SIM2.  SIM2 has slightly higher spin and achieved a slightly higher ball speed over a data set of shots but to be honest I just don’t like the feel and sound.  Original SIM is without a doubt the best feeling and performing driver I have ever owned. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSR 3 8.0* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD VF 6TX
Taylormade Stealth + 13.5* w/ Ventus TR Blue 7X

Taylormade Stealth + 18* w/ Ventus TR Blue 8X OR Titleist T200U 23' 17* w/ Ventus Black HB 9TX
Titleist T150 23' 4 iron w/ DG TI X100

Titleist T150 23' 5 iron w/ DG TI X100

Titleist T100 23' 6-PW w/ DG TI X100
Titleist SM10  50* F Grind  w/ DG TI X100

Titleist SM10 54* S Grind w/ DG TI X100

Titleist SM10 58* T Grind w/ DG TI S400
Titleist Phantom X 21' 5.5 

10 minutes ago, mikehill06 said:

I have both the SIM and SIM2, each fitted by Cool Clubs with the same shaft (Ventus Blk).  I prefer the sound, feel and performance of the original SIM over the SIM2.  SIM2 has slightly higher spin and achieved a slightly higher ball speed over a data set of shots but to be honest I just don’t like the feel and sound.  Original SIM is without a doubt the best feeling and performing driver I have ever owned. 

Indoors, I can't tell a difference in sound. Haven't been out doors yet with sim2. Feel, indoors, was a wash. 

It'll all come down to how sim2 performs. It has to be good or it'll get sold. My og sim setup is just really good. Sim2, with no adjustable weight, concerns me. Launch monitors are great for raw data. But outside is where we play.

I was fit outdoors for both and have had one range session and 27 holes with the SIM2.  It’s definitely in the back-up role. That said It always takes me a while to get comfortable with a new club but the sound and feel are noticeable.  Not ready to give up on it yet. 

Titleist TSR 3 8.0* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD VF 6TX
Taylormade Stealth + 13.5* w/ Ventus TR Blue 7X

Taylormade Stealth + 18* w/ Ventus TR Blue 8X OR Titleist T200U 23' 17* w/ Ventus Black HB 9TX
Titleist T150 23' 4 iron w/ DG TI X100

Titleist T150 23' 5 iron w/ DG TI X100

Titleist T100 23' 6-PW w/ DG TI X100
Titleist SM10  50* F Grind  w/ DG TI X100

Titleist SM10 54* S Grind w/ DG TI X100

Titleist SM10 58* T Grind w/ DG TI S400
Titleist Phantom X 21' 5.5 

22 minutes ago, TheSphynx said:

I’ve had similar results. It came down to me liking the look and feel of the 2 that sealed the deal. The launch, spin, and speed were so close it was a flip of a coin for me. I don’t understand the narrative around here where people are acting like the sim2 is 4-500 rpm more and as a result it’s unplayable compared to the 2020 sim. 

SIM 2 does spin more for most including myself.  For me I saw 200-300 rpm spin increase.  Then again I counteracted it to a degree by switching over to the Chrome Soft X LS ball.  The SIM 2 was better dispersion wise for me while distance was very similar compared to the OG SIM and a touch more forgiving.  That's why the SIM is my back up head. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

16 minutes ago, TheSphynx said:

I’ve had similar results. It came down to me liking the look and feel of the 2 that sealed the deal. The launch, spin, and speed were so close it was a flip of a coin for me. I don’t understand the narrative around here where people are acting like the sim2 is 4-500 rpm more and as a result it’s unplayable compared to the 2020 sim. 

What I found is that the sim handles the low strike better while the sim2 handles the higher strike better. 

For me, sim2 really popped with an above the equator strike. Spin was perfect. Launch was perfect. Ballspeed was perfect. I recall one with sim2 that carried 285 with 2100ish spin. 

But I tend to flight the ball.down. Which is why sim has been so good for me. 

I also don't have a std sim.setup. I have 6g more weight back than what comes std. So my sim is more forgiving that what I think most people.play. I won't have a std sim2 setup either. I'll up the front weight by 2g and up the backweight by 6g. That will change how the driver behaves. 

Edited by getitdaily

10 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

SIM 2 does spin more for most including myself.  For me I saw 200-300 rpm spin increase.  Then again I counteracted it to a degree by switching over the Chrome Soft X LS ball.  The SIM 2 was better dispersion wise for me while distance was very similar compared to the OG SIM and a touch more forgiving.  That's why the SIM is my back up head. 

Yeah, it does spin a touch more. Just makes it more stable. It's definitely a driver that likes the higher strike. The dispersion battle will be the winner. Based on launch monitor results, I could play either. 

I did see a couple of drives with sim2 that were bombs. And it gave me the highest ballspeeds. I was pleased to see 161 avg yesterday. I've been hovering around 157-159. I got several 162+. 

1 minute ago, getitdaily said:

Yeah, it does spin a touch more. Just makes it more stable. It's definitely a driver that likes the higher strike. The dispersion battle will be the winner. Based on launch monitor results, I could play either. 

I did see a couple of drives with sim2 that were bombs. And it gave me the highest ballspeeds. I was pleased to see 161 avg yesterday. I've been hovering around 157-159. I got several 162+. 

Could be a hotter face or it could the workout plan I sent you.  😉

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

3 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Could be a hotter face or it could the workout plan I sent you.  😉

Lol. It's both. Been using the superspeed sticks again too. 

I had to back off some of the workout stuff. Remember that I was concerned about my lower back - right side? I started getting persistent soreness and had to pop my lower back often. Too much stress on it. 

So I went back to the superspeed sticks and a rather traditional workout plan. 

Edited by getitdaily
  • Like 1

Just now, getitdaily said:

Lol. It's both. Been using the superspeed sticks again too. 

I had to back off some of the workout stuff. Remember that I was concerned about my lower back - left side? I started getting persistent soreness and had to pop my lower back often. Too much stress on it. 

So I went back to the superspeed sticks and a rather traditional workout plan. 

Glad to see you backed off.  Live to see another day is my motto when it comes to the gym and injuries.  Plus what fun is it when you can't get out to the course because your sitting at home with an injury.  I take 7-10 days off from the gym for every 8 weeks I lift.  I also change up my workout often depending on how my body feels.  Listen to your body. 

1 minute ago, phizzy30 said:

Glad to see you backed off.  Live to see another day is my motto when it comes to the gym and injuries.  Plus what fun is it when you can't get out to the course because your sitting at home with an injury.  I take 7-10 days off from the gym for every 8 weeks I lift.  I also change up my workout often depending on how my body feels.  Listen to your body. 

I pretty much do the same. In a mini leanout right now. Want to drop an inch and about 5 pounds the next 4 weeks. Then work the rest of the summer on hypertrophy and power. Want to get my strength back up. 

Been doing a lot more mobility stiff too. Stretching and mobility really helping in the gym (garage) and on the course. 

On 5/13/2021 at 10:41 PM, mikehill06 said:

First set of balls.outdoors on sim2 today. I agree with you 100%. Feels like the 16 m series. King of a firm spongy feel and a soft, wipey sound. I remember that feel distinctly in the 16 m2. M4 made the transition to a harder feeling and sounding face. They went back to OG m series face feel on sim2. I don't like it. But it doesnt rule it out. 

Still don't have my heavier weights so testing today was with lead tape. I have 18g backweight in my sim so it's not the std setup. I didn't see any difference in dispersion or distance. I was hitting toward a tee box on the back of the range and both drivers were flying to the base of the tee box and rolling up on top (no one was on the tee, I'm not that guy). 

Played today with both drivers. Was only able to hit them off the same tee about 4 times. I hit sim on about 6 holes by itself and sim2 the remaining holes. Primarily played sim2 after the 9th hole. Played sim2 at 9 degrees. Sim.at 9.75.

On course showed the launch monitor numbers were pretty spot on.  Sim was consistently 6-10 yards longer.  I had 1 bad drive with sim where I got a bit quick in transition, got steep, caught a bit high on the face and had a ball that knuckled right into a bunker. I had 1 bad driver from sim2 that went left. 

I'm going to put the 4g front weight back in and test with the ventus. Sim2 is too heavy with the 6g weight in the front. Sim2 does not like the ventus shaft. I also need to play around with the face closed to 8.25 to see if I get a right miss at all with sim2.

I'll test it more in a few weeks. 2day tournament next weekend and sim will be in the bag. There really isn't much difference in forgiveness. But remember that i have 18g total backweight in sim.

• Like 1

Put sim2 in play today. My swing was hot garbage but driver didn't cost me a single shot. I do still feel like I'm leaving something for better by not playing my ventus. So I put the 4g weight back in (had put a 6g weight in) and tried the ventus...quite possibly the magic sauce needed. 

Sim2 went in play after my round Friday. I was able to hit sim and sim2 head to head on every back 9 hole. Sim2 just showed what others have stated...just a touch more control where you feel like you can just swing hard. 

Let's see what sim2 with ventus does tomorrow.

For me, I had the Sim never really got along with it. Tried the Sim2 Felt the same, went back to my M5 Tour and found myself happy again. Not sure what it was but just couldn't hit the sims well. And then off I went to tsi3

~2024 Bag~

Titleist TSR2 10 Degree

Titleist TSR2 3W 15 Degree

Titleist TSR2 Hybrid 19 Degree

Titleist T-100s 4-W  Blackout

Titleist SM9 50.12F,56.12D,60.08M Blackout

Scotty Cameron 11.5 

Titleist Pro-V1x Yellow