2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

What driver shaft is your junior using? (Redux)

MB19

12 hours ago, Movingday said:

Finally got this out to the range. XR16 13.5 with the bassara shaft. Total club length at 39.5. Absolutely mashed it. Loved the feel. Was definitely the right transition from the TS3. Thanks for all the advice on this forum. Never would have gone this route without seeing it over and over here. 

I'm glad this worked out for you guys!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2022 at 12:38 PM, ChappyEight said:

That's exactly what I wanted to hear.  Appreciate the engagement and advice.  Will report back in a week or two.

So, we ended up with three shafts to test.  We tested them both at an indoor range and then during tee shots in a couple practice rounds at our local course.  The best combination of distance and dispersion ended up being the TENSEI AV Blue 55 w/ SFW (R-flex).  The particulars:

• 12 yrs old, 60" tall, 90mph average driver SS
  • Shaft 1: Speeder 565 Evolution Red, R-Flex (okay, but dispersion was roughly 60 yards at avg 184 carry)
  • Shaft 2: EvenFlow Riptide CB 60, R-Flex (pretty good, dispersion was roughly 45 yards at avg 188 carry)
  • Shaft 3: Tensei AV Blue 55, R-Flex (winner, dispersion was roughly 33 yards at avge 192 carry)

Much appreciate everyone's advice.  Will probably re-test again late summer depending on how much he grows/strengthens.  This was a fun experiment.

Dr: Mizuno JPX-900 (9.5°)
FW: 3W (15°) Mizuno JPX 900
Hy: 3H (19°), 4H (22°) Mizuno JPX 900
5-6i: Mizuno MP-H5
7-PW: Mizuno MP-5
W: Mizuno S18 50°, 54°, 58° (Gunmetal)
P: 2017 Odyssey O-Works #9 White w/ Superstroke 3.0

My 8 yo son (57"/83 lb) has been outdriving my 10 yo daughter (59.5"/100 lb) for a few weeks.  Some of it is AOA for her, some of it is him getting some sort of a pre-puberty athletic boost in coordination/balance/strength.  They have different setups, but not that different.

Son: TS1 12*/Air Speeder R35, spikes to 71 mph/sits 68

Daughter: TS1 10.5*/ Air Speder R40, spikes to 75 mph/sits 71

Both have stock weights.

Her drives have been pretty spinny of late, so I'm thinking of changing things up.  I'm considering a RadSpeed to get the spin numbers down along with the stock Evenflow Riptide CB40 senior shaft.  She had a round last week where she was really striping her drives, playing to her ceiling and they were playing a short 176 par 4 from the forward tees.  Daughter flushes a drive that looked like it would find the green, but fades at the end and catches the greenside bunker rolling to the right.  Son steps up next, also flushes his drive--but with no fade and he's on the green with about a 25' putt (he promptly three-putts, but par is par).  This was the pattern a good bit of the round.  Simulator numbers from Big Shots speak to high spin numbers from her as well, though the Flightscope there perhaps isn't the most accurate indicator.  

First of all @MB19,  your son is huge. My 10 yo is by no means small and they are the same size!

what kind of carry is he getting with that setup? Our numbers are almost identical. I haven’t done anything of a launch monitor to confirm, so just seeing rough range carry and seems to be 150-160. That’s with XR16 and bassara e42 shaft. 

Edited by Movingday

1 hour ago, MB19 said:

My 8 yo son (57"/83 lb) has been outdriving my 10 yo daughter (59.5"/100 lb) for a few weeks.  Some of it is AOA for her, some of it is him getting some sort of a pre-puberty athletic boost in coordination/balance/strength.  They have different setups, but not that different.

Son: TS1 12*/Air Speeder R35, spikes to 71 mph/sits 68

Daughter: TS1 10.5*/ Air Speder R40, spikes to 75 mph/sits 71

Both have stock weights.

Her drives have been pretty spinny of late, so I'm thinking of changing things up.  I'm considering a RadSpeed to get the spin numbers down along with the stock Evenflow Riptide CB40 senior shaft.  She had a round last week where she was really striping her drives, playing to her ceiling and they were playing a short 176 par 4 from the forward tees.  Daughter flushes a drive that looked like it would find the green, but fades at the end and catches the greenside bunker rolling to the right.  Son steps up next, also flushes his drive--but with no fade and he's on the green with about a 25' putt (he promptly three-putts, but par is par).  This was the pattern a good bit of the round.  Simulator numbers from Big Shots speak to high spin numbers from her as well, though the Flightscope there perhaps isn't the most accurate indicator.  

If she is creating that much spin, I would look at the AoA first and foremost.  Might be hitting down on the ball.

2nd thing to try is teeing it up higher.

Most likely that Flightscope is only tracking the ball for 8-10 yards and then throwing an algorithm at it.  Not sure, but as our conversation was a week ago, those spin numbers are unusually high there.  Less than 5% of the people really care about spin rates and those aren't used for fittings.  Even at Moon Golf, the spin numbers are generally high on the indoor monitors.  If it is spinning that much it is more than likely the shaft in it, not the head.  The Radspeed wasn't an uber popular head.  In the low spin version because the spin was actually too low and it knuckle balled out of the air.  

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

3 hours ago, Movingday said:

First of all @MB19,  your son is huge. My 10 yo is by no means small and they are the same size!

what kind of carry is he getting with that setup? Our numbers are almost identical. I haven’t done anything of a launch monitor to confirm, so just seeing rough range carry and seems to be 150-160. That’s with XR16 and bassara e42 shaft. 

He'll be nine in two months, but still good-sized kid for sure.

He's carrying 120-125 at Big Shots (it's kinda like TopGolf, driven by Flightscope Xi) with their range balls but can do a little better with premium balls.  My daughter used to use the Bassara e42 shaft, great shaft.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, heavy_hitter said:

If she is creating that much spin, I would look at the AoA first and foremost.  Might be hitting down on the ball.

2nd thing to try is teeing it up higher.

Most likely that Flightscope is only tracking the ball for 8-10 yards and then throwing an algorithm at it.  Not sure, but as our conversation was a week ago, those spin numbers are unusually high there.  Less than 5% of the people really care about spin rates and those aren't used for fittings.  Even at Moon Golf, the spin numbers are generally high on the indoor monitors.  If it is spinning that much it is more than likely the shaft in it, not the head.  The Radspeed wasn't an uber popular head.  In the low spin version because the spin was actually too low and it knuckle balled out of the air.  

No doubt her AoA leaves much to be desired, measured out at just over 3* when she was put on trackman during Cobra day months back at the range.

She already tees it up high, much higher than my son.  It is a constant battle to keep that ball as far forward as it should be in her stance, so there's also that.

Flightscope is one thing, but as Sheed used to say--ball don't lie.  She's getting out-driven by my son whose swing 3 mph less on average, ball fading perhaps more than it should once it is done carrying, perhaps not.  I know you and darter swear by foot fungus spray, and I'm willing to try that tomorrow at the range.

I'm not gonna bid any higher on the Radspeed, but if I get it at this price I can get close to what I paid for it in store credit at Moon if the thing is an abject disaster.