MEVO+ Setup - Basics and Calibration

games

Tilt wasn’t enough.  Literally had to pick up unit to move it closer.  So I had 8 feet set in settings, when the unit was physically 7 feet from the ball.  

Recent FlightScope Facebook post moves toward @Noodler comment on matching up actual ball with the imaged white ball, but doesn’t make it that absolute.

So here's another interesting observation...

I bought a golf "target" off Amazon that basically looks like a bullseye, but also has the vertical/horizontal crosshair marked on it.  I hung this over my screen/tarp and aligned it perfectly to my target line using my laser.

When I use the alignment screen in FS Golf and match up the ball image to my actual ball sitting on the hitting mat, the red vertical target line is also perfectly matched right down the vertical hash of the crosshair of the newly hung target.

So my takeaway is that the vertical red line in the alignment screen can be used successfully for alignment, but it's NOT aligned to the ball, but rather to the center of the hitting screen/net/tarp.  This is why the FS Golf alignment screen looks "odd" in having the slight offset between the red vertical line and the image of the ball.  Those images are each used for positions that are at different distances away from the Mevo+ unit.

Hopefully this clears up the confusion.  It would have been nice if someone at FS would have written this in the instruction manual.

Edited by Noodler
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Noodler said:

So here's another interesting observation...

I bought a golf "target" off Amazon that basically looks like a bullseye, but also has the vertical/horizontal crosshair marked on it.  I hung this over my screen/tarp and aligned it perfectly to my target line using my laser.

When I use the alignment screen in FS Golf and match up the ball image to my actual ball sitting on the hitting mat, the red vertical target line is also perfectly matched right down the vertical hash of the crosshair of the newly hung target.

So my takeaway is that the vertical red line in the alignment screen can be used successfully for alignment, but it's NOT aligned to the ball, but rather to the center of the hitting screen/net/tarp.  This is why the FS Golf alignment screen looks "odd" in having the slight offset between the red vertical line and the image of the ball.  Those images are each used for positions that are at different distances away from the Mevo+ unit.

Hopefully this clears up the confusion.  It would have been nice if someone at FS would have written this in the instruction manual.

You mean this guide that's been around for ages?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.par2pro.com/FlightScope/Mevo%2B%20Simulator%20Setup%20Guide.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwits87DlLT3AhW1MX0KHUC6DEQQFnoECAMQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1TRiGT85ooaqRAXvCfKYkk

3 hours ago, Bubbtubbs said:

That guide doesn't provide any instruction regarding proper use of the alignment screen.  And yes, I had seen that before delving into my own investigation...

The diagram seems to indicate that the Mevo+ unit is placed near the midpoint between the full swing hitting position and the putting position.  Then I guess you would use the arrows on the alignment screen to ensure that ball and vertical line are properly positioned.  This is what I had suggested in my previous post.  Right now I'm only using the physical placement of the unit to get the proper alignment for full swing use.  I haven't used the arrows to change the position in the alignment screen.  I'll have to do some testing with this now that I do know how to get good data from a purely physical placement.

Edited by Noodler

1 hour ago, Noodler said:

That guide doesn't provide any instruction regarding proper use of the alignment screen.  And yes, I had seen that before delving into my own investigation...

The diagram seems to indicate that the Mevo+ unit is placed near the midpoint between the full swing hitting position and the putting position.  Then I guess you would use the arrows on the alignment screen to ensure that ball and vertical line are properly positioned.  This is what I had suggested in my previous post.  Right now I'm only using the physical placement of the unit to get the proper alignment for full swing use.  I haven't used the arrows to change the position in the alignment screen.  I'll have to do some testing with this now that I do know how to get good data from a purely physical placement.

No, but it explains why the alignment screen looks the way it does. 

Center of the unit is your target line (the red vertical indicator).

Ball is left of the target line and in line with the camera, though it can be anywhere in the 6" red square and still get a read so it's likely just showing you the ideal placement.

The arrows allow a small measure of fine-tuning for alignment so you're not fiddling with the unit for five minutes trying to manually sight a target 200y down range. Line it up as close as you can manually on the screen, then finish it off with the arrows.

Have you had your unit long? It does take a few uses to get the hang of it and could definitely use an in-app tutorial or dedicated PDF instruction. It's also changed slightly a couple times - if memory serves, there wasn't a ball shown until .19 firmware - so that doesn't help matters.

Edited by Bubbtubbs

I’m building my garage setup now. I am planning on putting a 50” TV on the wall where I can connect my iPad to it. The TV will be parallel with the ball (where I can look over and see the shot), in front of the mevo+, but flat on the wall. Does anyone have a similar setup? Is the TV causing interference?

I will eventually convert to a projector but I have a spare TV and wall mount that I’d like to use before buying a projector. 

On 4/27/2022 at 12:26 PM, Bubbtubbs said:

No, but it explains why the alignment screen looks the way it does. 

Center of the unit is your target line (the red vertical indicator).

Ball is left of the target line and in line with the camera, though it can be anywhere in the 6" red square and still get a read so it's likely just showing you the ideal placement.

The arrows allow a small measure of fine-tuning for alignment so you're not fiddling with the unit for five minutes trying to manually sight a target 200y down range. Line it up as close as you can manually on the screen, then finish it off with the arrows.

Have you had your unit long? It does take a few uses to get the hang of it and could definitely use an in-app tutorial or dedicated PDF instruction. It's also changed slightly a couple times - if memory serves, there wasn't a ball shown until .19 firmware - so that doesn't help matters.

Questions:

Why does my Mevo+ alignment screen show the ball graphic to the right of the red line?

If you use the arrows to "fine-tune" the alignment in FSGolf will that same alignment be used in E6? (Don't see how it could..)

I'm still getting consistent fade bias that I know is related to alignment. 

My setup:

8 ft unit to ball and 10 ft ball to screen. Minimal interference.

I have a string hanging on my screen to guide alignment and I also have a string that I can pull tight from the bottom of the screen under the target back to the unit to ensure the unit/ball/target are all lined up. Once I know the unit is in line with the target I use the alignment screen but the ball graphic always shows to the right of the red line and in order to get the ball lined up it has to be well off the target line established by the string.

35 minutes ago, mgoblue83 said:

Questions:

Why does my Mevo+ alignment screen show the ball graphic to the right of the red line?

If you use the arrows to "fine-tune" the alignment in FSGolf will that same alignment be used in E6? (Don't see how it could..)

I'm still getting consistent fade bias that I know is related to alignment. 

My setup:

8 ft unit to ball and 10 ft ball to screen. Minimal interference.

I have a string hanging on my screen to guide alignment and I also have a string that I can pull tight from the bottom of the screen under the target back to the unit to ensure the unit/ball/target are all lined up. Once I know the unit is in line with the target I use the alignment screen but the ball graphic always shows to the right of the red line and in order to get the ball lined up it has to be well off the target line established by the string.

I just used mine for the first time in a couple months Sunday night and that is new to me, since when it initially appeared in the software or was on the left of target line when set to RH hitting mode. I would assume because the target line from the bore sight camera is off center from where the radar emitter is that the ball needs to appear slightly to the right of the alignment aid to be correctly aimed. Flightscope may be adjusting the position of the ball indicator based on testing or feedback. I'll ask about it on the golf sim forums as there are several members who diligently follow the social media releases.

As to E6, I can't comment. Never used my copy because we don't support Apple products.

Edit: should be fairly simple to test for bias, no? If you move the unit as far to the right as possible and keep the ball left in the hitting zone, then hit left and see if you get draw/hook spin. Or shut the face at address and hit a squared-up shot. If you can't get left spin, it's possible you have a defective unit. A lot of the early ones had an issue with that.

Edited by Bubbtubbs

2 hours ago, Bubbtubbs said:

I just used mine for the first time in a couple months Sunday night and that is new to me, since when it initially appeared in the software or was on the left of target line when set to RH hitting mode. I would assume because the target line from the bore sight camera is off center from where the radar emitter is that the ball needs to appear slightly to the right of the alignment aid to be correctly aimed. Flightscope may be adjusting the position of the ball indicator based on testing or feedback. I'll ask about it on the golf sim forums as there are several members who diligently follow the social media releases.

As to E6, I can't comment. Never used my copy because we don't support Apple products.

Edit: should be fairly simple to test for bias, no? If you move the unit as far to the right as possible and keep the ball left in the hitting zone, then hit left and see if you get draw/hook spin. Or shut the face at address and hit a squared-up shot. If you can't get left spin, it's possible you have a defective unit. A lot of the early ones had an issue with that.

I can hit a pull hook no problem but no matter what I do it won't show a push draw. Meanwhile I can hit pull fades all day and shots that I know are "straight" always show a little fade.

I'm a 2 handicap so I'm 100% sure this is an alignment or device issue. (99% sure it's alignment)

I would assume the ideal setup would be the center of the unit in line with the ball and the target. I have my string setup to achieve this but the red line shows left of the target (assuming because the camera is offset) OR if the line is on target the ball has to be right of the target line. 

Edited by mgoblue83

2 hours ago, mgoblue83 said:

I can hit a pull hook no problem but no matter what I do it won't show a push draw. Meanwhile I can hit pull fades all day and shots that I know are "straight" always show a little fade.

I'm a 2 handicap so I'm 100% sure this is an alignment or device issue. (99% sure it's alignment)

I would assume the ideal setup would be the center of the unit in line with the ball and the target. I have my string setup to achieve this but the red line shows left of the target (assuming because the camera is offset) OR if the line is on target the ball has to be right of the target line. 

The link I posted a link earlier to what Flightscope prescribes for placement - for simulation, at least - is from the device's release so it may be out of date with the addition of fusion tracking and the updated software suite.

My order of operations once it's connected is:

- set/check hitting mode

- set/check tee height and distance to ball 

- use alignment aid to set target 

- set ball in line with the ball icon in alignment aid 

- set/check weather settings 

Seems to be working pretty well. My most common mishit is a pull-draw when I don't start the downswing with lower body but I do get plenty of push-draws normally.

FlightScope has a fairly comprehensive free "course" for non-professional "enthusiasts" of their products.  I walked through the setup courses, and there was nothing definitive regarding the camera-based alignment we've been discussing.

Still, a good read...

https://www.flightscope-learning.com/

Still struggling with alignment.

Can anyone verify that the red line is aligned with the camera and not the center of the unit?

If so, does that mean the red line should be aligned left of our target line by 3-4 inches in the alignment screen?

Has anyone verified that the center of the unit should be directly in line with the ball and target (perpendicular to target line) even though the red line and ball don't match up in the alignment screen?

All documentation shows the unit aligned offset to the right of the target line which is basically splitting the difference between full shots and putting. Should we align it offset like that even if we aren't using putting? What about outdoors on the range?

Could really appreciate some clear answers here because all of the data is dependent on proper alignment. 

Thanks all.

8 minutes ago, mgoblue83 said:

Still struggling with alignment.

Can anyone verify that the red line is aligned with the camera and not the center of the unit?

If so, does that mean the red line should be aligned left of our target line by 3-4 inches in the alignment screen?

Has anyone verified that the center of the unit should be directly in line with the ball and target (perpendicular to target line) even though the red line and ball don't match up in the alignment screen?

All documentation shows the unit aligned offset to the right of the target line which is basically splitting the difference between full shots and putting. Should we align it offset like that even if we aren't using putting? What about outdoors on the range?

Could really appreciate some clear answers here because all of the data is dependent on proper alignment. 

Thanks all.

The red line is your target. 

With all the firmware and software changes since release, the best we can do is to follow what the onboard alignment tells us to do. Fusion tracking didn't exist for M+ and the prescribed tilt was 18° back when the manuals were written so the boresight camera is the most current guide we have.

I set the unit down, get all my settings where I want them (tee height, distance to ball, hitting mode, etc) then open the camera alignment and get the unit on target with the ball where it indicates. I haven't tested if changing hitting mode or distances alters the what the camera shows you but at least this method eliminates it as a variable and forms a consistent setup habit.

I previously posted how the alignment works, but I'll restate again to hopefully clear up confusion.

In the alignment screen, proper alignment will have the image of the ball vertically aligned with the actual ball sitting on the hitting surface.  The red vertical line will be aligned to the target path at the screen.  This is important to note that this is at a distance further than the ball.  This is the target path superimposed vertically up the impact screen/tarp/net.

If the red vertical line in the alignment screen is not correctly lining up with the target path transposed onto the screen, then most likely the Mevo+ is not horizontally angled correctly.  This is NOT the angle shown in the software (tilt or roll), but rather this is the positioning of the unit so that it is properly square to the target.

If you get everything aligned correctly, you should see the replay of the ball flight start directly from the center-line of the range and the shape of the flight match what you would expect.  I have overlaid a hanging "target" in front of my screen to double-check that where the ball starts from on the mat and where it hits on the screen, "makes sense" with what is shown in the ball flight replay.

Edited by Noodler
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, games said:

@Noodler If true, the virtual ball and real ball should lie directly under the vertical red line.  No?

That depends on where the ball needs to be relative to the Mevo+. The camera is to the left so there's going to be some parallax between what it sees and what the radar sees. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Bubbtubbs said:

That depends on where the ball needs to be relative to the Mevo+. The camera is to the left so there's going to be some parallax between what it sees and what the radar sees. 

Which now makes me wonder about the purpose of the arrows for aligning the vertical red line left or right.  Maybe we are to line up the middle of Mevo (say the power button) with the ball.  Then use the arrows in camera alignment to move the red line over the ball.  But, I think that would also move the virtual red mat and white ball to the right.  

FS has always said the red line should align with your actual ball.  So I’ve always just physically aligned the camera with my ball, not the power button.  Never had problems.  Ball always on the red line.

41 minutes ago, games said:

Which now makes me wonder about the purpose of the arrows for aligning the vertical red line left or right.  Maybe we are to line up the middle of Mevo (say the power button) with the ball.  Then use the arrows in camera alignment to move the red line over the ball.  But, I think that would also move the virtual red mat and white ball to the right.  

FS has always said the red line should align with your actual ball.  So I’ve always just physically aligned the camera with my ball, not the power button.  Never had problems.  Ball always on the red line.

34 minutes ago, games said:

Also, it’s telling that they distinguish between setups for sim use (unit sits in middle, full swing left side, putting on right) versus full swing where middle of unit sits directly behind ball.

When aligning the camera and red line with the ball does your shot start on the target line in FSGolf or does it start to the right where the virtual ball is displayed?

1 hour ago, games said:

My ball starts on the line when I align camera down target line.

I have no issues placing it in line with the ball indicator and still have it begin on target line. Keep in mind there's 6" leeway in the red hitting zone so that may be a factor in both of our cases.

Edit: cases like this are why it would be advantageous for the to be an updated official setup and alignment statement. 

Edited by Bubbtubbs
  • Like 1

Does anyone else have this problem? Sometimes when I plug in the unit to charge, one of the blue light ends up blinking red and not fully charging the unit. I unplug it and then sometimes it works again, sometimes it blinks red again. Eventually after multiple plugging and unplugging I can get it to work. Anyone?

2 hours ago, Mobert19 said:

Does anyone else have this problem? Sometimes when I plug in the unit to charge, one of the blue light ends up blinking red and not fully charging the unit. I unplug it and then sometimes it works again, sometimes it blinks red again. Eventually after multiple plugging and unplugging I can get it to work. Anyone?

Check with Flightscope or someone more knowledgeable about the Raspberry Pi board first to make sure powering the unit off is sufficient to prevent a short. 

If so, you might try cleaning both the male end of the charger cable and micro USB charging port on the Mevo+ with a soft toothbrush and some isopropyl alcohol. The port could be making intermittent contact and removing any debris, dirt or corrosion would fix that.

• Like 1