How to manage fatigue during range time

Paddy_2_Iron

I am 50 and still do a range session that lasts a couple of hours once every other week or so. My practice time can be somewhat limited, so I try to "get my money's worth" so to speak. 

Often, I am trying to groove a particular ball flight or eliminate a miss. So, I get that fisherman's "one more cast" mentality. Just one more shot, which then becomes 25 more, where I get really particular about a result before I can leave. It also helps me get through fatigue on the course. I really try to lock in on still being focused on fundamentals when I get tired. That helps me on the course on the back 9 on a hot day (not that we ever have those here in NE Florida).

As Monte sort of alluded to, I recently bought two large buckets and about a bucket and a quarter of that was dedicated to less than full wedges. I also had a recent session where I bought two buckets and got what I wanted done in about a bucket and a half. So, I hit some massive slices and hooks and other potential trouble shots. Then, I hit some more partial wedges. 

Yesterday,  I had a lesson that lasted from 8 to about 9:30. I stayed and worked on what we talked about until 10:30. 

Two things that I have to keep in mind or do to prepare:

1. I had a herniated disc in my neck last fall, that I am sure was golf related. Pretty sure the partial tear in my left rotator cuff was a contributor. So, I have been on a good workout regimen to strengthen everywhere, but have focused a lot on my neck and back. I also do pilates twice a week and core workouts 2 to 3 other days a week.

2. I often ice my neck and shoulder after these type of sessions and there is at least one rest day afterwards. I just cant hit balls like that several days in a row. I also try to stretch a lot - I learned some good ones at pt, plus I try to do a lot of hip mobility exercises. I have found that chest and last can strain other parts of the body when tight, so keep them loose.

Titleist TSI3 8°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1", C3 surefit and H2 for backweight, D1 SW, 45 3/8", 40g counterbalance weight;

PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13.5° Xcaliber T6* tour stiff, tipped 1 1/4" 43 1/2", D1, 20g counterbalance weight;

Snake Eyes 19° Quick Strike Tour, Xcaliber T6+ Tour Stiff, 20g counterbalance weight;

Maltby TS-1 irons, Dynamic Gold Sensicore X100 (4i is DG X100 soft stepped 1.5 times), D3, 2° flat;

Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges, black satin, 50°, 54°, 58°, all 2° flat;

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong, 75g optivibe at 2" down the shaft and a 12g tourlock pro+ counterweight

Srixon Z Star XV, TP5X, or Maxfli Tour X

10 hours ago, Righty to Lefty said:

Challenge accepted!!! I challenge you to warm up as normal and then try this "range workout" and lets see how you get along! 

40 shots total

Long clubs: 4 iron through fairway wood

Medium clubs: 8 iron through 5 iron

Short clubs: wedges through 9 iron

Round One:

5 Burpees

5 Air Squats

Hit 10 shots (2 long, 2 medium, 2 short, and 4 drivers) to a simulated fairway switching clubs after each shot and doing your full routine. (The widest fairway will be with driver, the narrowest one will be with wedge) 

No consequences for missing the fairway but note your fairway hit out of 10 (Example 6 of 10 fairway hit)

Round Two: 

10 Burpees

10 Air Squats

Hit 10 shots (2 long, 2 medium, 2 short, and 4 drivers) to a simulated fairway switching clubs after each shot and doing your full routine. (The widest fairway will be with driver, the narrowest one will be with wedge) 

Pay the toll: For every fairway missed under your round one score do 15 Burpees and 15 Air Squats. If you hit your number exactly do 10 Burpees and 10 Air Squats, and if you exceeded your number continue to the next round. 

Round Three: 

15 Burpees

15 Air Squats

Hit 10 shots (2 long, 2 medium, 2 short, and 4 drivers) to a simulated fairway switching clubs after each shot and doing your full routine. (The widest fairway will be with driver, the narrowest one will be with wedge) 

Pay the toll: For every fairway missed under your round one score do 15 Burpees and 15 Air Squats. If you hit your number exactly do 10 Burpees and 10 Air Squats, and if you exceeded your number continue to the next round. 

Round Four: 

20 Burpees

20 Air Squats

Hit 10 shots (2 long, 2 medium, 2 short, and 4 drivers) to a simulated fairway switching clubs after each shot and doing your full routine. (The widest fairway will be with driver, the narrowest one will be with wedge) 

Pay the toll: For every fairway missed under your round one score do 15 Burpees and 15 Air Squats. If you hit your number exactly do 10 Burpees and 10 Air Squats, and if you exceeded your number your workout is complete. 

The goal is for each round to make your heart rate ramp up for the beginning of each round so that you are simulating stress and you must calm your breathing and execute yet by the end of the round your heart rate should have calmed. You will notice that those first shots will require much more attention to detail or your will get sloppy and make mistakes.  Your body is conditioned to hitting golf balls on the range so you have to shock the system because you are not applying any pressure to your practice so you are actually slowing your improvement.  I hit so many golf balls while I am overseas that I literally could hit golf balls for hours and hours without getting tired. Applying pressure to your range session changes all of that I assure you and it made my sessions much more focused and I got more progress out of shorter sessions.   

How am I going to do all that and not spill my drink?!

That's an impressive workout if you are doing all that.  And no doubt exhausting.  So kudos to you if this is your routine.  For myself, it's totally unnecessary.  It's not like I am overweight or unhealthy, doing just fine, but not looking to be a Navy Seal on the golf course.

100 yards in; that's where this game is mastered.