2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Best Products of 2005

Sakman

Let's Hear It
Obviously, there's a huge buzz going on right now about the 06 products about to hit the market, but what about all those 2005 items that had all of us drooling over the past 12 months...

Since the year is almost over, let's get something going about what YOU thought were the hot items in 2005.

I'll start it off -

Irons: For me, it's a close call between the Titleist 735's and the Mizuno MP-60's, but I'm going to have to go with the 735's in this category. IMHO, one of the best products for Titleist in a while.

Wedges: This one came down to the TaylorMade RAC Black TP's and the Titleist Vokey Spin Milled. Granted, TaylorMade had the marketing push for this product, but I was a little disappointed to say the least, thus declaring the Spin Milled a winner.

Shoes: Adidas Tour 360...enough said.

Putters: I hate to say this because I'm not a fan of the mallet style putters, but I'm going with the TaylorMade Monza Corza. C'mon, everything with moveable weights is just cool. Not to mention that it makes us look sophisticated and somewhat technical.

Driver: Here's another one that makes me cringe while typing this, but my pick for best driver in 2005 is the Nike SQ. Yes, I said it...the Nike SQ. It may look like a fried egg, but toss a Diamana shaft in it along with a $299 price tag and it's like stealing candy from a baby.

Alright fella's you heard my picks, let's hear what you got...

Ryan

Ping G425 LST w/ GD Tour AD DI 7

TaylorMade Sim 2 Ti w/ Kuro Kage 70

Ping G425 4H w/ GD Tour AD DI 85

Titleist 718 T-MB 4i w/ GD Tour AD DI 85

TaylorMade P790 5-PW w/ MMT 125

Ping i210 UW

Ping Glide 4 Stealth 54/58

Ping PLD Olso 3

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like your list, but I'm going to disagree with you some. A lot of your stuff is LATE 2005, if you want to look at what was big this last year, I think you have to talk about the stuff introduced last spring. So here goes. . .

Irons- I'm going to say the MP-32. Awesome, awesome sticks.

Wedges- I'll agree here with the Spin Milled. Big new "technology" from Titelist got everyone talking. And loving the spin regardless of the affects on the ball.

Shoes- I got the Adidas A3 which I really like. Looks pretty golf-shoeish, but feels like a running shoe.

Putters- I think Yes! C-Groove. They really seemed to hit their stride this year. They were available (actually in the store- not just catalogue) at Golf Galaxy, etc. I think this really helped them out.

Driver- Callaway Big Bertha 454. This was a huge hit around home, especially with the NV. Great driver for everybody, I think.

in no particular order:

irons- i'd say from a technology and buzz stand point the x-tours were rather nice irons and seemed to produce the results to back up a lot of the hype. for more of a blade style club though one would have to look at the bridgestone j33 blades and combos....both extremely solid sets

wedges- the new ping mb black nickel wedges look and feel fantastic, the playability seems comparable to many of the other top wedges like the vokeys and clevelands. also deserving a mention would be the j33's that are currently in my bag. they play phenominal and the sole an almost flawless design

(If you haven't picked up yet, i could probably mention a bridgestone club in all the categories.....solid preformance all around this year from the entire j33 line)

putter- yes c-groove putters seemed to have picked up a lot of steam this year. with many pros giving them a go on tour (goosen, howell, monty, and almost all of the koreans on the lpga) many people seemed pleased with the roll of these putters. honorable mention should go out to the craz-e though, very good feeling alignment putter

shoes- adidas tour 360's....simply the best shoe out hands down.

fairway woods- i think that any self-proclaiming golf ho should give the bridgestone j33 a chance to work it way into their bag. a versitle deep faced club that works well off the tee and off the deck with extremely easy playability and as long as many titanium fairways.

hybrids- combine the solid play of a rescue mid with moveable waeights and you get an instant winner. the rescue dual TP is a great hybrid and replacement option for a lofted fairway or long iron. plus for those who want to avoid that closed face just add the weights on the toe and presto.

driver- it seems that a lot of companies made a big splash with drivers this year and on the top of the list is the ft-3 fusion. longer than most clubs out their (with maybe the exception of the j33 460....more b-tone bias) and the steps forward made by callaway with regards to comp driver makes this guy a winner.

balls- the bridgesotne b330 and b330s seemed to fly off the shelves this year at my golf store and with very good reason....probably the only ball that can rival the pro v1 and v1x. also one cannot forget tiger's ball as well, the nike one platinum is one heck of a ball......just watch it do its thing on 16 at augusta.

man 2005 had some great clubs.....can't wait for 06

:)

Driver: Callaway Fusion FT-3. If i had the money, it would be in my bag right now. (I dont know if I should put an FT-3 in my bag or the Taylormade R7 425???)

Woods: Sonartec ss-3.5, Hit the 3 wood 2 times at a demo day and it went straight into my bag. There is no ballooning and it is great off the tee.

Hybrid: Rescue Dual TP. Hands down #1.

Irons: Mizuno MP-60, Not for me but very very solid and sooooo forgiving.

Wedges: Taylormade Rac TP (Y-Cutters). Um, the spin is... um... amazing?

Putters: The HeavyPutter A2 is still a big favorite of mine. But I think the Odyssey White Steel putters are a good find.

Shoe: Ecco Casual Cool Hydromax. My God, what a sleek looking shoe. ORANGE?!?!

Ball: Srixon ZUR-S... Spin it...

Driver - Bridgestone J33R 460. It's simple and perfect.

Fairway - Bridgestone J33. Feels like a tour V-steel at half the price. Super club.

Hybrid - TaylorMade Rescue Dual TP. Sets up great, good shaft, ability to adjust swing weights.

Irons - 735.CM. Great club for the enthusiast.

Wedges - Vokey SM. I have played Vokey 200's for years, and these are an improvement. Perfect wedges IMO.

Putter - Yes! putters. C-groove technology works.

Ball - Bridgestone B330 Tour. Long, good in wind, perfect spin around the greens.

My awards:

Driver: Bridgestone J33R 460 & Taylor Made R5 Tp

Wood: Sonartec SS-3.5/2.5 & Taylor Made R7 Ti Tp

Hybrid: Taylor Made Rescue Dual Tp & Bridgestone J33 Airmuscle

Iron: Mizuno Mp-60 & Bridgestone J33 combo (Can't see anyone preferring Titleist 735.cm over the

Bridgestone J33 combos :) )

Wedge: Titleist Spin Milled & Taylor Made Rac TP Y-cutter

Putter: Never Compromise Milled #1 & Yes! Callie C-Groove

Ball: Bridgestone B-330 & Srixon Ad-333

Bag: Ogio Edge stand bag & Taylor Made R7 Stand bag

Irons - I really liked the MP-27, most forgiving forgings I've tried; soft at impact and still allow you to work the ball. They've got the 60s beat for forgiveness. Other than that the Nike NDS irons; they perform so much better than their price would indicate. Stick a good shaft in these and anyone could play them. The bargain of the year for me.

Drivers - This is the year of the 460 head. Take your pick but I like the Ping G2/G5 and Cleveland Comp. Hard to miss a fairway with either of these. The R7 set the technological benchmark with their movable weights though.

Wedges - Vokey spin milled, no question.

Hybrids - Hard to argue agianst the Rescue Dual, but the Mizuno UX2 is right there.

Putters - Yes! for the revival of grooved putters. TM jumped on the bandwagon quickly with their AGSI insert.

Technology - TM's movable weights for sure!

Hey Ryan,

Here's my top clubs for 2005:

Irons: I'm a big fan of the Titliest 735's; however, given my handicap (14), I have to go with a little more forgiveness like the Tour Edge Exotics EX-1's or Callaway X Tour's.

Fairway Woods: Hands down, it's the Tour Edge Exotics. I don't think you'll find a better fairway wood out there. They're long, still forgiving, and sound and feel tremendous. Bite the bullet and pay the higher price, they're definitely worth it!!!

Driver: I'll stay in the Nike family, but have to go with the Ignite 460. I've hit the SQ and thought it felt great, but I'd never buy it based on its looks. The Ignite looks great, feels awesome, is long, and sounds great at impact. Better yet, you can get it BRAND NEW for $199 ... what a steal.

Wedges: Still have to stick with my Cleveland CG-10's.

Hybrid: Had the Taylor Made Rescue Dual 3 and 4; however, believe it or not, they were too long and didn't fill the gaps I was looking for. As such, for my money, I think the Nickent Genex 3DX Ironwood is the best hybrid. I got the 3 and 4 and absolutely love them.

Putter: No doubt about it, I have the Monza Corza mallet, but the Cameron Newport 2 is the clear winner.

Ball: Although a little pricey, I have to go with the Srixon Z-URS or Bridgestone B333S.

That's it for me. I'm looking forward to 2006, especially the Tour Edge Exotics driver. If it's as good as the fairway woods, Tour Edge will have another winner!!!

Jeff

My Top Clubs of 2005:

Putter: Monza Corza!!! Truely Amazing!!!

Ball: Bridgestone B330-S!!! awesome ball!!!

Hybrid: Rescue Dual TP!!!! Perfect Replacement for my 3 Iron!!!!

Driver: I would have to vote for the R5TP!!!

Farirway woods: the R7 range!!!!

Irons: Bridgestone Combo's!!!!!

Wedges: Taylormade Rac Tp wedges!!!

TaylorMade M6 10.5 GD-IZ 6
TaylorMade M1 15 GD-Di 7
TaylorMade PSi 3 Modus 120
TaylorMade P790 4-PW Modus 120
TaylorMade MG 52 Modus 120
TaylorMade HI-TOE 58 Modus 120
TaylorMade Spider Tour L-Neck

Driver - G2/G5 - but I have a J33 460

Fairway woods - I tried them all and nothing can beat Callaway Steelheads, but the G5's are nice and so are the 904's

Hybrids - Nickent

Irons - G2 for the masses

Wedges - Cleveland CG-10's

Putters - Ping Craz-E

Ball - Bridgestone

Tsr2 9*

BRNR Mini 13.5*

Gen 5 XF 17.5*

818 H1 20*/24*

Ping i210 6-P (29*-45*)

Ping iE1 50*/Ping Glide 3.0 54*/58*

Ping Fetch

Trying to be impartial in this selection....

Driver: Callaway FT-3

Fairway Wood: Sonartec SS-2.5

Hybrids: Cleveland Halo

Iron: Mizuno MP-32

Wedges: Titleist Spin Milled

Putter: Yes C-Groove

Titleist TS3 10.5° w/ Tensei AV 55 Stiff
Titleist TS2 16.5° w/ Tensei AV 65 Stiff
Titleist TS2 21° w/ Tensei AV 75 Stiff
Titleist U510 23° w/ Tensei Blue AM2 Stiff
Titleist 714 AP2 5-9 w/ XP 95 S300
Vokey SM8 46°, 50°, 54°, 60° w/ XP 95 S300
Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34"

My favorite clubs were the Spin Milled Vokeys. What a fun club! Gotta love hitting a 3/4 SW past the flag and backing it up (back/left for me). I had fun with a 56 and 60 degree.

My 60 degree was gone one round. I had just left a course where I used the driving range then I went to another course to play. I know that it was in the bag at the first place. Oh well, I ended up buying a new 60 with a different bounce that set up and worked out better for me. I switched back to the 60 for chipping, but the season was 99% over hehe.

Bridgestone J33R 460 driver, Cleveland Comp driver, Cleveland Halos, Mizuno MP-32s and Bridgestone B330-S ball. Not sure if al were introduced in 2005 but great products nonetheless.

Drivers : Callaway Paradym Sanki Planarian - Ginnico Black Star Arch-KaMs 16509 - Ryoma D1 V-Spec TRPX Fabulous Ni-Ti - Titleist TSR2 Arch-Kams CA-01 - TRPX S-013 Xanadu - Waccine Wac LS-01 COA Rolling Angel
FW : Ping G425 14.5*/17.5* Arch-Kams WL/WH-01

UTs : Ping G425 19* Arch-Kams UTR - Callaway Paradym 20* Arch-Kams UTH
Irons : Grind Studio Proto - Itobori MXH - Titleist CNCPT02 - Tourstage MR-23 US Spec
Wedges : Artisan - Grind Studio- JP Premier
Putters : Benock - BPutters - Ingles - Lajosi - Low Tide - Machine - MackMade - Mannkrafted - Masda Gold'sFactory - Nead - Swag - TP Mills - Xenon

Driver- Ignite 460

FW- TE Exotics; can't beat distance I guess

Irons- I'm just going to say the gaining popularity and feasibility of the "combo" set many manufacturers are now using

Wedges-Vokey SM or Y Cutters; can't stop hearing bout' the spin!

Hybrids- Not so sure on this one; I like the iron design of my Tour Edge ironwood Tour

Putter- Scotty Cameron Futura Phantom!!!

Ball- Nike One Platinum; Spins when you want it to :dntknw: