Phabs WITB - Heavy on the Artisan

Damn couldn't beat the M3 that thing must be a perfect match but I also wonder if that face has gotten hotter over time as well with the amount of use?

Nothing wrong with that, more confidence over the driver, money saved, new putter money available.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

11 minutes ago, benbbcck said:

Nice bag! Who makes those awsome headcovers?

Golf iconic does the wood covers.   It’s my 4th season on them.. they hold up well.  They’re just starting to frey some at the bottom but a lighter fixed that. 

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

On 4/17/2022 at 7:00 PM, MattM97 said:

Damn couldn't beat the M3 that thing must be a perfect match but I also wonder if that face has gotten hotter over time as well with the amount of use?

Nothing wrong with that, more confidence over the driver, money saved, new putter money available.

I was pretty surprised.  I really don’t hit any drivers when I bang balls, maybe 5-10 at most.  My driver is pretty automatic and if it’s not broke I don’t fix it.  I can hit a 10 yard fade and a 10 yard draw damn near on command with the M3.  I struggled to move any of the new age heads,  like these manufacturers just build the bias into the head and and that’s the ball flight you get. I totally understand 80% of golfers are just trying keep a consistent ball flight.

Edited by Phabs

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

• 1 month later...

Ended up selling my Artisan 0219 and I’m putting the down payment in tomorrow on a  0521 full custom head shape with some mods.  I’m going to roll the top line, do a titanium plumbers neck, sole weights and keep it around 350 grams with 45* worth of toe hang.  Probably try and figure out what sight dot I want to go with and send the deposit. 

Going to do a carbon head with the chocolate oxidado finish on the head with a brushed titanium neck.  Probably try and do some detail in the plumber neck whether it’s a simple clean oval relief or a pattern. 

I’ve wanted a wide bladeish head for a while and the 0521 seems to fit that well.  It’s the 3rd head shape down from the top in the pic below 

547A6228-E5D6-4381-B3BE-84F13ACB0CFA.png

Edited by Phabs
  • Like 2

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

4 hours ago, Phabs said:

Ended up selling my Artisan 0219 and I’m putting the down payment in tomorrow on a  0521 full custom head shape with some mods.  I’m going to roll the top line, do a titanium plumbers neck, sole weights and keep it around 350 grams with 45* worth of toe hang.  Probably try and figure out what sight dot I want to go with and send the deposit. 

Going to do a carbon head with the chocolate oxidado finish on the head with a brushed titanium neck.  Probably try and do some detail in the plumber neck whether it’s a simple clean oval relief or a pattern. 

I’ve wanted a wide bladeish head for a while and the 0521 seems to fit that well.  It’s the 3rd head shape down from the top in the pic below 

Ok I tuned in to see what you were doing next--- Always interesting

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

8 hours ago, Phabs said:

Thank God your Artisan sold before I could send a respectable offer. 

The new build sounds sick. I'm a big fan of two tone putters and slightly wider Anser style heads. A torched titanium neck on their chocolate ox finish would be a wet dream. Can't wait to see some updates on this one. 

• Like 1

New putter time, can't wait to see it. 

Dis Gonna Be Good Jason Momoa GIF

• Haha 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

1 hour ago, MattM97 said:

New putter time, can't wait to see it. 

Dis Gonna Be Good Jason Momoa GIF

It’s between Artisan and snrg in Hawaii.  I’m leaning towards Artisan as of this morning 🤣

• Like 1

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

5 hours ago, kb7 said:

Thank God your Artisan sold before I could send a respectable offer. 

The new build sounds sick. I'm a big fan of two tone putters and slightly wider Anser style heads. A torched titanium neck on their chocolate ox finish would be a wet dream. Can't wait to see some updates on this one. 

Haha I was waiting for the message…

Yeah that’s the current thought.  I want an artisan because of the clout with the tour guys partially.  The 0219 from them was a nice stick 

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

5 hours ago, Phabs said:

It’s between Artisan and snrg in Hawaii.  I’m leaning towards Artisan as of this morning 🤣

SNRG definitely needs more love but really hard to beat a properly fit Artisans putter. I want one from each at some point. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

9 hours ago, MattM97 said:

SNRG definitely needs more love but really hard to beat a properly fit Artisans putter. I want one from each at some point. 

Well I sent a message to SNRG over IG and emailed and haven’t received a response on  either communication sent a few days ago. I was pretty descriptive with what I wanted so maybe SNRG thought I was a headache or one of “those” guys which is fine. Guess it’s Artisan time, they’ve responded within the hour with either communication.  

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

• 2 weeks later...

Orders in with Artisan. John said 4-5 weeks and it’ll be in my hands.  Pretty interesting with the oxidado finish he rusts the putter head for almost 3 weeks off and on to achieve the chocolate look.  

I’ve been grinding on my short game pretty heavily and it finally paid dividends tonight. Played a quick 9 holes and hit 6/9 greens in reg, had 6 one putts and shot 31 with a lipped eagle putt on one.  Felt awesome to play super aggressively and with some confidence green side.  

Constant gate drills on the putting green have definitely helped my stroke and contact consistency.   Also found out that warming up rolling some 4-5 footers with my eyes closed helps eliminate some deceleration tendencies. Find myself repeating in my head to hit the putt like a ball isn’t there. 

• Like 2

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

Sounds like you're building a lot of confidence and ready for a big breakthrough soon in your game. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

15 hours ago, MattM97 said:

Sounds like you're building a lot of confidence and ready for a big breakthrough soon in your game. 

Nah.  I have a 610 am time Sunday at a course that eats me up on the regular. I’ll go fire a 115 and get humbled real fast 🤣

Edited by Phabs
  • Like 2

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

On 7/1/2022 at 7:58 AM, kb7 said:

I am dying to see some good up close shots of this finish. Love a rust bucket.

I’ll be sure to get some once I receive it.   Thinking ill have an update from artisan this week or next.   I’ve owned a ton of carbon wedges and putters but never let any rust so it’ll be a nice change.  Excited for the wedge fitting trip in November 

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

On 7/1/2022 at 9:58 AM, kb7 said:

I am dying to see some good up close shots of this finish. Love a rust bucket.

Me too I love rusty old putters and wedges

On 7/9/2022 at 4:07 AM, BIG STU said:

Me too I love rusty old putters and wedges

Believe I’ll have an update from the guys at artisan this week I’ll post the pic once I get them.  Excited that I’m only 2 weeks out.  I just had my rtx lob the salt water bath for 3 days 🤣

Edited by Phabs
  • Like 1

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

2 minutes ago, Phabs said:

Believe I’ll have an update from the guys at artisan this week I’ll post the pic once I get them.  Excited that I’m only 2 weeks out.  I just have my rtx lob the salt water bath for 3 days 🤣

LOL where I live I could stick the RTX on the front porch for the same amount of time and rust it up. I have kinda gotten on your thing of "revolving putters" since I am playing a lot of vintage golf again. I have so many vintage putters I rotate out quite a bit in that department which is part of my fun

• Like 2

Got my update from Artisan this morning.  Really really like what I’m seeing as far as shape and sole width… I told him make it as soft as he was able and willing to.  He said no problem except he liked keeping the top line with a flat for light refraction which I agree with.   Guys definitely know what they’re doing 

51522AF0-B311-4373-89C8-1580AA4CDF82.jpeg

3969879D-7DBB-4205-8D6B-48FCB518DC01.jpeg

Edited by Phabs
  • Like 2

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

Well I acquired a free driver fitting over at club champion and went this morning to see some of the new heads/shaft options.  I figured it’s a free experiment so why not.  

Started out with about 10 swings with my 9* M3 with the X flex KBS TD.  Clubhead speed sat at 117-119 with ball speeds in the low-mid 170’s.  Carry with my driver was 295-310 and spin was a touch high in the low to mid 3000’s average. Think my best ball was 335 total with about a 5 yard draw that was hit right on the screws. 

Told the fitter who I’ve worked with prior that I didn’t have a head preference nor a shaft preference to just feed me everything. 

Started out hitting a stealth plus to figure out shafts.  Wasn’t too impressed with the feel nor the sound of the head but I didn’t care cause we were just stuffing shafts in it.   Did hit the standard stealth had but it spun way too much, worse than my M3.  Hit Accra’s, multiple LA shafts, 1k Tensei, Ventus TR, and the KBS TX flex.  The DJ LA shaft was boardy, Accra felt ok, Tensei was solid, Ventus TR was ok, KBS was second best of the bunch.   Surprisingly the A series LA golf mid launch in x flex was a clear winner.  I was 60 swings in when we stuck that shaft in and my ball speeds and peak height/spin characteristics immediately improved.   It’s fitting that I can’t stand Bryson but the companies products fit my swing apparently.   

Once we found the shaft that agreed with me we started plugging heads.  Started out with the Mizuno which felt like a sledgehammer due to not being able to pull the 20g rear weight with their massive shaft adapter.  Made it 3 swings and it was benched.   

Swung the Callaway triple diamond LS next which felt great, just didn’t like how the head set up once we got the launch into the right window.  Really liked the sound and the feel of the face and wasn’t too fade biased. 

Next I hit the Cobra LTDX which looked awesome at address and sounded solid.  Spin was higher than we wanted so we messed with the loft and didn’t like the looks at address once we got the spin down. 

Swung the LTDX LS next and immediately was in love.  Lofted the 9* head up to 10*, sat perfectly square at address and was a rocket ship.  Average carry jumped up to 315 and total average distance jumped to 343… even with my gassed out swing speed dropping to 114-115.   Worked the ball both ways with ease, soft high cut and draw weren’t a problem at all.   Had two that were over 320 carry and finished over 355 total with this set up.   

Needless to say the search is on for a head only and I ordered the shaft direct from LA. Took 6 years to dethrone the M3 and I’ll never sell it. 

Edited by Phabs
  • Like 2

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

• Phabs changed the title to Phabs revolving door of putters.. WITB 🚨FINALLY a productive driver fitting! Page 3🚨

I knew the Cobra would win out those heads are just good especially when you get the right shaft in there. But also crazy to see how long that M3 has been in your bag and what it took to get it out, but it's still in there.

Lefty - WITB Thread

2 hours ago, MattM97 said:

I knew the Cobra would win out those heads are just good especially when you get the right shaft in there. But also crazy to see how long that M3 has been in your bag and what it took to get it out, but it's still in there.

My M3 doesn’t owe me a dime.  Been an outstanding driver for nearly 6 years.  

The numbers on my M3 are below. I was about 40 swings in so my speed was down a touch,  numbers aren’t bad for a 5 year old club. If I could hit them all like swing 3 I’d never get rid of it.  Just not as forgiving nor as fast as the cobra. 

382B48A8-36F1-45FB-BBD8-8F1D8A149E3D.jpeg

Edited by Phabs

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

5 minutes ago, Phabs said:

My M3 doesn’t owe me a dime.  Been an outstanding driver for nearly 6 years.  

The numbers on my M3 are below. I was about 40 swings in so my speed was down a touch,  numbers aren’t bad for a 5 year old club. If I could hit them all like swing 3 I’d never get rid of it.  Just not as forgiving nor as fast as the cobra. 

382B48A8-36F1-45FB-BBD8-8F1D8A149E3D.jpeg

I wouldn't expect that either if I had a driver that old producing the numbers you're still getting. But like you said the ball speed and forgiveness on the Cobra are just hard to beat, like your M3 but updated I guess.

Lefty - WITB Thread

4 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

I wouldn't expect that either if I had a driver that old producing the numbers you're still getting. But like you said the ball speed and forgiveness on the Cobra are just hard to beat, like your M3 but updated I guess.

After my first few swings the fitter immediately said “Not sure we’ll be able to beat that thing”,  which I appreciate.  Not trying to BS me into anything. 

• Like 2

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

First piece of the puzzle.  Have a LAGP Trono 65x coming and the LAGP 60g mid launch X flex I was fit for coming. 

Expecting a call from Artisan this week or next on the putter I would assume. 

37776DE8-1164-4F2D-8E3A-77E08E31788C.jpeg

Edited by Phabs
  • Like 2

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

Played today on a tough course and shot one down with the new driver.   I’ve been skeptical of sim’s and their results in fittings but the new cobra head I have is the best driver ever swung.  Waiting on my LAGP A series shaft to come in late this week temporarily playing with a stiff flex Tensei white installed.  

Super super pleased with the purchase after round one.  The Trono LAGP will be here tomorrow so I’ll stick that in and head to the range tomorrow night.   Never been a cobra guy in the slightest but good lord the LTDX LS head is just flat nasty. 

• Like 2

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

On 7/31/2022 at 7:50 PM, Phabs said:

Played today on a tough course and shot one down with the new driver.   I’ve been skeptical of sim’s and their results in fittings but the new cobra head I have is the best driver ever swung.  Waiting on my LAGP A series shaft to come in late this week temporarily playing with a stiff flex Tensei white installed.  

Super super pleased with the purchase after round one.  The Trono LAGP will be here tomorrow so I’ll stick that in and head to the range tomorrow night.   Never been a cobra guy in the slightest but good lord the LTDX LS head is just flat nasty. 

Now you have your driver for the next 4 to 5 generations of drivers.

But yeah these Cobra drivers are converting a lot of people over to Cobra, I'm actually super curious about their woods and hybrid but don't want to spend the money. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

10 hours ago, MattM97 said:

Now you have your driver for the next 4 to 5 generations of drivers.

But yeah these Cobra drivers are converting a lot of people over to Cobra, I'm actually super curious about their woods and hybrid but don't want to spend the money. 

Got my series a shaft last night so I’m headed to the range tonight.  Yeah I won’t need a driver for a long time 

Edited by Phabs
  • Like 1

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

• Phabs changed the title to Phabs WITB - Heavy on the Artisan