Callaway MD5 Raw Wedges - Do I have them?

fatrambo

I bought some "used" Callaway MD5 wedges and they were advertised as raw.  They are both in 9.5/10 condition, so very very limited use.  However, I'm not sure I believe they are raw since there isn't a speck of rust on them.  I've tried to accelerate the process by spraying them with water then letting them dry.  I've even used a bleach/salt/water solution but that hasn't worked.  

My question:  For those of you that have bought new MD5 raw wedges, did they take awhile to rust or should I see some right away after using a rust accelerant solution?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I remember mine rusting pretty fast

PING G425 LST 9* - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Srixon ZX 15* - Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 7X

Callaway UW 19* - LA Golf Trono 75X

PING G410 22* - Tensei CK Pro White 90X

Srixon ZX5 5-AW - Nippon Modus3 Tour 105X

Cleveland CBX2 54* - DG 115 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw X Grind 60* - DG 115 Wedge

Odyssey White Hot OG #7S

1 minute ago, fatrambo said:

I figured so but I wanted to ask first. With the raw wedges, the finish should be more dull, correct?

True "raw" is unfinished.  But just did some googling, looks like Callaway has a chrome finish called RAW...but it's still a finish applied to the head.  I think you got what Callaway calls "RAW"

1 minute ago, dmbolp said:

True "raw" is unfinished.  But just did some googling, looks like Callaway has a chrome finish called RAW...but it's still a finish applied to the head.  I think you got what Callaway calls "RAW"

They make it confusing. Maybe I'll call in and talk to them. When I think of raw, think of something that does patina and it should be obvious. With these, not so much. 

"Callaway raw" 🤣 

At least if they charge you for it, you are actually paying for something.

Taylormade M6 D Type driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Honma XP-1 3 and 5 wood 

Taylormade GAPR Lo 19* Hybrid 

Byrdie Golf Designs split cavity 4-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Nike Blue Chip 002 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

I would with a high degree of confidence say your wedge is chrome, not raw. Looking at Google images of MD5's in raw, they have a much flatter finish tone to them than yours, though it's hard to tell because of the lighting. If you can't accelerate any rusting at all, it's likely because they are in fact chrome wedges. 

5 minutes ago, DFS PFD said:

I would with a high degree of confidence say your wedge is chrome, not raw. Looking at Google images of MD5's in raw, they have a much flatter finish tone to them than yours, though it's hard to tell because of the lighting. If you can't accelerate any rusting at all, it's likely because they are in fact chrome wedges. 

Thanks. I think I'm going to send them back.