2022 Japanese Pros on LPGA: Ayaka, Hinako, Nasa, Yuka

HMHS

4 hours ago, woahnelly said:

What about Mone Inami? seems like she will just go through the motions on the JLPGA this year much like Hye Jin on the KLPGA this past season.

Well, I wanted to start the thread covering JLPGA but someone pointed out it was misleading so we just decided to cover the 4 players who are JLPGA members that are now LPGA cardholders for 2022.

But yes, Mone should dominate JLPGA 2022 unless Ai Suzuki, Erica, Katsu, Jiyai Shin, etc have spectacular years.  Maybe there'll be 2 more new LPGA members by then from the JLPGA vy 2023. Erika, Inami, Katsu are prolly gonna wait and see how these 2 fare, especially the adjustment process.  Heck Davidson played in the JLPGA and got her card too, meaning these gals still in the JLPGA should have no problems in the QSeries if they wanna play in the LPGA...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

@Supermilo If Nasa wins a major... will you be imitating her ‘Hop-Hop-Hop’ pogo pre shot routine?  🐇🐇🐇 (😬🚫🤬)

image.gif.8d3da31eec91b8e40189cc35246cbb91.gif

Actually as a "fan" if push came to shove, I root Hinako > Yuka > Nasa > Ayaka... Lol. I think it's obvious why... 

So no hop hop hop... If Nasa wins over Hinako for a major, I won't be smiling nor hopping as a Hinako fan. But I'll be glad as an LPGA fan as we look for the "next best player not to win a major." 

• Haha 2

Long story short: JLPGA is making it "easier" for JLPGA members that are now in the LPGA to still earn points and maintain ranking/status in JLPGA, despite them playing more in the LPGA.  As to whether this spurs more to try in the QSeries in 2022 is anybody's guess... Have a feeling some of them would not bother anyway -- Yuna Nishimura who couldve played US Open 2021 declined to even participate (Furue, Nishimura and Yuka Yasuda (2019 APAC Womens Am winner after Atthaya in 2018) are of the same "group/class/buddies").  

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/bec06c5df2dc4ce04c630a18ff4d67c50b833f32

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Supermilo said:

Also, GD Jpn (Hinako's swing is analyzed here this month) for those interested of the changes.  Needs subscription though...   Also listed Hinako's official distance for driving at 245.28  yds...  Yuka at 262.00 for comparison on apples to apples (eg same magazine)

http://gd.golfdigest.co.jp/wgd/

Yuka averaged ~272 yards on the LPGA, although the same size is not as large as most players who got in a full schedule.  Hard to say if her number is skewed either way by the conditions she played in.  That being said, I'm not surprised if the ball is not flying as well in Japan (on average) and I wouldn't be shocked if the fairways aren't quite as firm either (I think LPGA is getting 20+ yards of roll on average over the course of a season).

So if Hinako was hypothetically ~255 in LPGA terms now and has added yardage, that would have put her much shorter than the Minjee, Lee6 group that I mentioned before (in prior seasons/WBO win).

• Like 3

The Smiling Assassin thinks that language and learning the language will be the biggest obstacles to the newest LPGA Cardholders.  (Yuka will be the most well versed English speaking Japanese in the tour, probably ever LOL)...  Certainly, there's enough ex PGA/LPGA Japanese players that are always supporting the new members -- from Aoki to Higuchi to Miyazato etc...  

https://dot.asahi.com/wa/2021122200035.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=social

• Like 1

Yuka is based in Dallas, Hideki in Orlando, I wonder where the latest 2 cardholders decide - I've a hunch itll be in Florida as well...

Daily Tribune

GOLF

Home is where the heart is Yuka enjoying time with family

TRIBUNE-LOGO-1-150x150.jpg
063_1322212051-1000x600.jpg

For Yuka Saso, happiness is more than breaking into the Ladies Professional Golf Association (LPGA) Tour, gaining a world Top 10 ranking or winning a historic major. Back in Japan, the US Women’s Open champion is relishing the rare chance to be with her family, deservedly so at this time of the season.

“My family is wonderful,” said Saso, who has been away from home majority of the year duking it out with the best of the best in a sport that provides some sense of normalcy during the pandemic.

“They are incredibly supportive of my career. They have been my biggest fans and continue to encourage me, and I am looking forward to enjoying the holidays with all of them,” she added.

With earnings of $1.5 million in her maiden LPGA season and another $880,000 she earned in her rookie stint in the LPGA of Japan Tour in 2020, Saso insists there would be no major celebrations but a simple get-together to toast a remarkable year.

“We will just be resting and enjoying time together as a family,” she said.

Gift-giving is also not on the table.

“We don’t do much in the way of gifts, so I have not purchased a gift for myself,” she stressed.

What she did after the season-ending CME Group Tour Championship where she placed 48th in a select field of 58 to finish at No. 8 in the world ranking was establishing residency in Dallas, Texas.

063_13222104291-683x1024.jpg

SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – JUNE 06: Yuka Saso of the Philippines celebrates with the Harton S. Semple Trophy after winning the 76th U.S. Women’s Open Championship at The Olympic Club on June 06, 2021 in San Francisco, California. Saso won following a three-hole playoff against Nasa Hataoka of Japan. Ezra Shaw/Getty Images/AFP (Photo by EZRA SHAW / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA / Getty Images via AFP)

“I am continuing to get settled in Dallas,” said the 20-year-old shotmaker after opting to make one of the largest metropolitan areas in the US her base in preparation for her second year campaign in the world’s premier ladies circuit.

Sterling Sports Management, which now handles the talented Filipino-Japanese career, said Saso “intends to play as many as events as possible on the LPGA Tour, and to supplement with a number of events from other tours as well.”

The 2022 season will kick off with a three-tournament swing in Florida, leading off with Hilton Grand Vacations Tournament of Champions, which moves to a new host venue at Lake Nona Golf and Country Club on 20 to 23 January in Orlando.

The $1.2 million event will feature leg winners and other top invitees with Saso earning a spot on the strength of her breakthrough major triumph in the US Women’s Open that saw her fight back from five down in the last nine holes to force a playoff. She then outduelled Japanese Nasa Hataoka on the third playoff hole to become the first Filipina to win a golfing major worth a whopping $1 million.

The ICTSI-backed ace is set to play next in the $2 million Gainbridge LPGA on 27 to 30 January with the event making its return to Boca Rio Golf Club in Boca Raton after a one-year stop at Lake Nona. The Florida trio will culminate in the fourth staging of the LPGA Drive On Championship with a date and venue to be announced in the coming weeks.

Saso will make defense of her US Open crown on 2 to 5 June in Southern Pines, North Carolina.

Her victory in the US Women’s Open has created so much impact on the young Filipino athletes dreaming to become world-beaters someday, the way Manny Pacquiao did in his ring exploits until his retirement and lifter Hidilyn Diaz’s equally historic gold medal feat in the Tokyo Olympics.

She exhorts the youth not just to strive to achieve sporting excellence but be driven by passion for the game.

“Golf is a challenging sport that demands a lot of hard work, but it’s not worthwhile unless you’re enjoying it,” she said. “I would encourage them to have fun and fall in love with the sport. If you love it, it won’t feel so much like work.”

Edited by HMHS
  • Like 1

Rumors abound as to who the next JLPGA member will soon "try their luck" in the LPGA QSeries -- this is just accdg to press speculation/how they replied to the Japanese media, when asked... (I tried to interpret as best as possible from them).   

16 Japanese players who are in the top 100 in the women's world as of December 27th.

◎ 6th place Nasa Hataoka
◎ 8th place Yuka Saso
○ 14th place Ayaka Furue
× 16th place Mone Inami (2nd place)
○ 37th place Hinako Shibuno
? 38th place Mao Saigo (5th place)
? 43rd place Yuna Nishimura (4th place)
× 62nd place Sakura Kogure (3rd place)
△ 64th place Mimu Yamashita (12th place)
× 66th place Ai Suzuki (15th place)
× 70th place Momoko Ueda (9th place)
△ 72nd place Minami (7th)
? 79th place Ayaka Takahashi (8th place)
? 86th place Yuri Yoshida (22nd place)
△ 92nd place Erika Hara (10th place)
? 98th place Momoko Osato (13th place)

Legend: ◎ = Participating in the US tour, ○ = Participating starting next season, △ = Indicated interest in participating in the Q series 2022, ? = wait and see, × no interest other than JLPGA

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Supermilo said:

16 Japanese players who are in the top 100 in the women's world as of December 27th.

× 16th place Mone Inami (2nd place)
△ 92nd place Erika Hara (10th place)

Legend: ◎ = Participating in the US tour, ○ = Participating starting next season, △ = Indicated interest in participating in the Q series 2022, ? = wait and see, × no interest other than JLPGA

Inami...disappointed she doesn't want to be on the LPGA

Hara...I hope she does 2022 QSeries and obtains her card.

I suspect we'll only see 2-3 at the most KLPGA 2022 Q-Series participants.

It would be a Merican nightmare if the typically 8-10 KLPGA pros via top RR #75 registered for Q-Series.

• Like 2

On 12/27/2021 at 5:42 PM, Supermilo said:

Yuka is based in Dallas, Hideki in Orlando, I wonder where the latest 2 cardholders decide - I've a hunch it'll be in Florida as well...

Daily Tribune

Agree...I suspect Shibuno & Furue will land in Fla.....likely Orlando.

It's unclear how much length Shibuno has really gained....so every advantage will be necessary...so the closer to Swedish Juice Factory...the better....just sayin.🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Supermilo said:

Legend: ◎ = Participating in the US tour, ○ = Participating starting next season,

Not sure why you labelled Ayaka as already participating on the LPGA and Hinako as participating next year?  They both qualified this year via Q-Serieis and both have played in some of the majors given their World Rankings and/or Major Champion status. 

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Golf Dino said:

Not sure why you labelled Ayaka as already participating on the LPGA and Hinako as participating next year?  They both qualified this year via Q-Serieis and both have played in some of the majors given their World Rankings and/or Major Champion status. 

He's showing both Furue & Shibuno as 2022 players.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KBong said:

He's showing both Furue & Shibuno as 2022 players.

@Supermilo . . . my apologies!  I crossed up Yuka with Ayaka being right together!  Yes, then the symbols and legend make perfect sense!!!   

I'd blame it on the drinks, but I haven't had one for 3 weeks!  😛 😄 🤣

• Haha 3

Yuka paid a courtesy call to the Japanese PM yesterday - and presented him with a golf club... PM told her to continue to strive to do her best. To which she said she will in the LPGA and thanked the PM for his time.

https://www.fnn.jp/articles/-/292150?fbclid=IwAR20JQDZeHRcFYa0BA1g5XAEUM-NeWyKyoiJbD7euvSA4RwOfqepdLKbcjs

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Supermilo said:

Yuka paid a courtesy call to the Japanese PM yesterday - and presented him with a golf club... PM told her to continue to strive to do her best. To which she said she will in the LPGA and thanked the PM for his time.

https://www.fnn.jp/articles/-/292150?fbclid=IwAR20JQDZeHRcFYa0BA1g5XAEUM-NeWyKyoiJbD7euvSA4RwOfqepdLKbcjs

@Supermilo So... because this is Golfwrx... i'd like to ask "What was the Golf Club that Yuka Saso gifted to Prime Minister Kishida(?)" 

(i.e. these are the details that matter to club ho's .... or maybe it's just me!)

https://www.golfwrx.com/413758/japans-prime-minister-just-gave-president-elect-trump-a-3000-driver/

Extract: "Abe presented Trump with a Honma Beres S-05 driver. Reported specs: 9.5 degrees of loft and an 5S Armrq Infinity stiff shaft

The $3,755 driver is available with either a black or gold head. Abe selected the gold head for the President-elect, which seems appropriate given the New Yorker’s affinity for the color in company and personal branding."

• Haha 2

Expensive, for Hong Kong?  That's a clear excuse!

"Hong Kong Golf Association chief Lai welcomes ‘fantastic’ Saso back to city, though an LPGA home event ‘would be very expensive’".

But, there must be something going if a Top Newspaper is printing a story like this.

Reigning US Women’s Open champion Yuka Saso ‘would love to see’ LPGA Tour event in Hong Kong

4 hours ago, 18majors said:

But, there must be something going if a Top Newspaper is printing a story like this.

Its the SCMP - they have developed a reputation in recent years for being a sycophantic outlet for the Communist Party leadership.  I suspect that this is more wishful thinking on their part, but who knows with Mollie and what her plans are.

Edited by Golf Dino
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Golf Dino said:

@Supermilo . . . my apologies!  I crossed up Yuka with Ayaka being right together!  Yes, then the symbols and legend make perfect sense!!!   

At least it's not a crack pipe like some other WRX posters.🤣

11 hours ago, Supermilo said:

Yuka's new nickname.

Saso the Shill.🤣

Money talks.

She had no issues taking their money (Philippines) as an Am...when she needed it the most.

But now plays under the Japanese flag for their MONEY.

Even MONEY HUNGRY Tina didn't DUMP the New Zealanders to be baited by the S. Koreans.

Just sayin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, KBong said:

China Rules!🤣

I know its meant as a joke, but here are a few more examples of sport in Mainland China:

Football/Soccer match called off because of players having dyed their hair or had curls:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-55227538

Footballers (soccer) and tattoos: 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-59827047 

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Golf Dino said:

you sure it's not your "balmy" weather the past few days? 😛   

fm us in Ontario, enjoy that normal Ontario weather from Christmas to New Year ☺︎

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KBong said:

Yuka's new nickname.

Saso the Shill.🤣

Money talks.

She had no issues taking their money (Philippines) as an Am...when she needed it the most.

But now plays under the Japanese flag for their MONEY.

Even MONEY HUNGRY Tina didn't DUMP the New Zealanders to be baited by the S. Koreans.

Just sayin.

I actually have no issues with those comments -- even if not in jest... 

but at the same time, am not familiar with Lydia's story in NZ vs SK... NZ is a relatively rich country anyways to begin with...

Good to see you come out of "hibernation" from your subzero temps in BC bwahahaha...🤣🥶

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, 18majors said:

Expensive, for Hong Kong?  That's a clear excuse!

"Hong Kong Golf Association chief Lai welcomes ‘fantastic’ Saso back to city, though an LPGA home event ‘would be very expensive’".

Reigning US Women’s Open champion Yuka Saso ‘would love to see’ LPGA Tour event in Hong Kong

She's the AXA rep in Asia, if I recall right... AXA as in the insurance company...  Not sure if anything is going on -- SCMP covers Asian golfers as much as they can if they get the chance to based on my recollection.  Yuka has a new agent (Eg Sterling) - and the agent is probably milking her being in Japan right now and "exposing" Yuka to as much media as possible (bec, well, $)....  China will probably want to have LPGA events in the mainland rather than HK (my 2c)

Edited by HMHS

10 minutes ago, Supermilo said:

you sure it's not your "balmy" weather the past few days? 😛   

fm us in Ontario, enjoy that normal Ontario weather from Christmas to New Year ☺︎

Oh SHUT UP.

I was thinking it would be at least 3 weeks until I hit the links.

WTH....9" of more snow last night....now my golf playing target is now April 15.

Ugh...now I gotta go shovel some more snow...blah.

Yup....Global Warming is FAKE...hmmmm....46*C heat dome in June.....DEVASTING record floods and damage in Nov...now 12+" of snow....WTH.

Yup...I hated winters in TO....most weekends were spent window shopping at Yorkdale Mall...oh joy. 

TO was/is such a RAT RACE.

Yorkdale is a GONG SHOW...in 2017...I went to Moxie's at Yorkdale on Sat night to meet a friend for a drink....it was PACKED at 845pm...no spots in the parking lot....I walked by...there were two 45 minute line ups for the Cheese Factory...WTH.

• Haha 2

Just now, KBong said:

Oh SHUT UP.

I was thinking it would be at least 3 weeks until I hit the links.

WTH....9" of more snow last night....now my golf playing target is now April 15.

Ugh...now I gotta go shovel some more snow...blah.

Yup....Global Warming is FAKE...hmmmm....46*C heat dome in June.....DEVASTING record floods and damage in Nov...now 12+" of snow....WTH.

Yup...I hated winters in TO....most weekends were spent window shopping at Yorkdale Mall...oh joy. 

TO was/is such a RAT RACE.

Yorkdale is a GONG SHOW...in 2017...I went to Moxie's at Yorkdale on Sat night to meet a friend for a drink....it was PACKED at 845pm...no spots in the parking lot....I walked by...there were two 45 minute line ups for the Cheese Factory...WTH.

🤣 - Youll burn more calories doing that 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Supermilo said:

I actually have no issues with those comments -- even if not in jest... 

I couldn't careless if you did have issues with my comments....I'm not here to make friends.🤣

Though if I do make it back...we should head up to Westview to hit the links...my "go to" course in the early 80's and early 90's when I spent some years/summers working in TO.

I haven't played it since.

I understand Westview is now dominated with Korean golfers....like all the courses here too.😂

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Supermilo said:

but at the same time, am not familiar with Lydia's story in NZ vs SK... NZ is a relatively rich country anyways to begin with...

Tina would be more affluent if Lydia sold her soul to the Koreans.

I don't believe Lydia has/had a lucrative endorsement NZ based company sponsor.

Go chat with Tina in Ottawa next year....Sura doesn't care to chat much.

Talk about MONEY...you'll have Tina's ear.

• Haha 1