2022 Japanese Pros on LPGA: Ayaka, Hinako, Nasa, Yuka

HMHS

1 hour ago, Golf Dino said:

Were you the guy I heard about that got caught following the Korean and Chinese players just to pick up their wayward shots?  😛  🤣  . . . naw, in reality, one doesn't have to look far or hard for lost golfballs.  Heck look for one of your own and you often find 2-3 others! 

There are so many Asian ball hawkers at the course I had an annual pass in 2021.

Some of these old Asian members seem to enjoy hawking balls more than playing golf...their favorite golf club is their BALL RETRIEVER.

A Taiwanese member...he'd typically find 10-30 golf balls a day...WTH...his record is 60 balls in a day...he told me he has 5000 golf balls at home...forty 40 lb rice bags full of balls in his garage....LMAO...he must have a really subservient wife....I know my wife would LIGHT ME up if I had that much NONSENSE lying around.

So this past summer...I'm on the 1st green....I look over to the 10th green....I'm not sure as it's at least 100 yards away...but I see an Asian guy walking in the pond up to his thighs hawking golf balls....in golf shoes and shorts...no waders.

A month later I see a guy wandering around the course behind us hawking balls in the creeks.

I get to the next hole and chat with a marshal...yup he confirms this is a Korean member who has been warned a few times about hawking balls.

He pushes his clubs around...only a few clubs in the bag ....hits a few shots......and wanders around the 36 holes looking for golf balls.

I gotta believe it's a bit of a mental issue/addiction to pay $2000+ as a weekday member just to hawk golf balls.

My biggest haul in a day was 4 dozen....years ago I was playing Chateau Whistler...I'm sure you've played there....it was SO SLOW.

So we'd go out 200 yards off the tee to the right trees....go in and find so many golf balls....90%+ of all golfers SLICE....my playing partner found 5 dozen golf balls too.

The secret to hawking in the woods is if you find one....DON'T GIVE UP....there will be many more golf balls within a few feet.🤣

Edited by KBong
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, KBong said:

My biggest haul in a day was 4 dozen....years ago I was playing Chateau Whistler...I'm sure you've played there....it was SO SLOW.

🤣 I'm assisting in hosting a group of Korean executives to play here this summer and one of the courses we'll play is Chateau Whistler, so I will let you know when as I suspect that there will be plenty of Honma, XXIO, plus the usual Pro V's, etc. for you to pick up!

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Golf Dino said:

🤣 I'm assisting in hosting a group of Korean executives to play here this summer and one of the courses we'll play is Chateau Whistler, so I will let you know when as I suspect that there will be plenty of Honma, XXIO, plus the usual Pro V's, etc. for you to pick up!

LOL

Ya....I think I have a XXIO ball too.

From another golf forum....a retired guy from Texas who is a PT marshal...tells me about all his little honey holes...and after a few minutes....he can haul out 60 golf balls.

But there is a worse hawker than him....an older marshal....he'd always show up at the course IMMEDIATELY after a tournament and go hawk balls.

Another good course to hawk balls here is Furry Creek...tons of balls in those gullies. 

• Like 1

What's Yuka trying to copy here this time?  She's already got Rory's "drive off the tee".  I guess Hideki's iron play?  (I hope not his putting...🤣 ) 

Either way, glad to see Yuka still spending her "leisure" time watching golf -- extremely focused on her game (maniacal and dedicated, to say the least, just like Hideki's dedication)...

http://golfalpha.net/archives/12832800.html

@Supermilo

I'm really happy for Yuka!  It appears her equipment deal with Callaway is a major one; could be worth about $1.0-3.0 million a year.  

Saso sets lofty goals with Callaway

On the other hand, this's precisely why Yuka chose to be a Japanese.  Japan's GDP Japan is $5.065 trillion, more than fourteen times that of the Philippines.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 18majors said:

@Supermilo

I'm really happy for Yuka!  It appears her equipment deal with Callaway is a major one; could be worth about $1.0-3.0 million a year.  

On the other hand, this's precisely why Yuka chose to be a Japanese.  Japan's GDP Japan is $5.065 trillion, more than fourteen times that of the Philippines.

yup can't blame her for that... i'd choose a japanese passport over a filipino one too if i were in her shoes...

incidentally, I’m glad that the japanese "populace", in general, is also taking her in not as a "hafu" (half Japanese) - this remains a controversial issue in jpn but it's getting better as the years go by... (saso, n osaka, rui hachimura, etc have it ok/good - it's the common folk that are "labelled as hafu" that have a harder time getting acceptance in japanese society).  

Edited by HMHS
added "hafu controversy" for color in japan, in relation to yuka being a half japanese technically by blood
  • Like 2

On 1/9/2022 at 12:34 PM, 18majors said:

@Supermilo

That's funny..

I just watched a recap of US open.  She thanked Philippines and didn't even mention Japan during the Winning speech..

Did she sell out?

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, 8602081 said:

That's funny..

I just watched a recap of US open.  She thanked Philippines and didn't even mention Japan during the Winning speech..

Did she sell out?

As noted in some of the previous posts in this thread, Yuka is a dual citizen of the Philippines and Japan.  As she nears her birthday (21 or 22?)  she will be required to make a determination as to citizenship as Japan does not permit dual citizenship.    Yuka announced in the fall that she will be taking up the Japanese citizenship . . . for all of the advantages discussed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 8602081 said:

That's funny..

Did she sell out?

I agree with @Golf Dino

i thought Yuka Saso post-USWO Interviews= tailored ie thanked Philippines supporters during English interviews (and likewise thanked her Japanese supporters during Japanese media interviews)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 8602081 said:

Did she sell out?

Totally.

Money talks....Saso's mom must be related to Tina.

spacer.png

I hope Saso sports a Toulon putter and either the Apex TCB's or the X Forged CB's....a guy last week at the range let me hit the latter that he was demo'ing...very solid head.

I'm think the Great Smiley Mike offers Annika a special invite. I thought the current USGA Sr. Women's champ might get an exemption into the USWO...but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Annika won the USWO at Pine Needles in 1996....but for the same reason...Whan could offer an invite to Webb & Kerr...USWO winners at PN in 2001 & 2007.

It's Yuka's father (Masa) not Fritzie (her mom)  who "calls the shots".

In fairness Masa is a cordial guy (personal opinion).

Takes time out to appreciate their well wishers (eg Masa). 

But, I think you guys know my stance on this: preferred her to carry RP flag but can't blame her wearing Nippon...

Finally, US open came prior to Olympics, wouldve stirred tons of controversy if she already shifted allegiance after just winning US Open, esp as she was carrying RP colors for the Olympics... (Heck there's been speculation she only carried RP colors in Olympics because she wouldn't have made if with the Japanese team,  in retrospect  = I mean, how could she have predicted she will win the US open? Lol)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Supermilo said:

It's Yuka's father (Masa) not Fritzie (her mom)  who "calls the shots".

In fairness Masa is a cordial guy (personal opinion).

Takes time out to appreciate their well wishers (eg Masa). 

But, I think you guys know my stance on this: preferred her to carry RP flag but can't blame her wearing Nippon...

Finally, US open came prior to Olympics, wouldve stirred tons of controversy if she already shifted allegiance after just winning US Open, esp as she was carrying RP colors for the Olympics... (Heck there's been speculation she only carried RP colors in Olympics because she wouldn't have made if with the Japanese team,  in retrospect  = I mean, how could she have predicted she will win the US open? Lol)

So she is the female Rory Sabbatini?

1 hour ago, Forged4life said:

Well, only she and her family know the truth on this...

Had she not won the US Open, she would not have had her LPGA card and who knows if and when she'd chose to shift citizenship... Either way, she's Japanese now, for all intents and purposes. (Certainly for this thread/forum lol)

• Like 1

If Rory Sabbatini = "the Boy from Bratislava"(*)...

then Yuka = "Yuka from Yokohama"? (or can you suggest a better nickname)

((😬🚫🤬) ... No offence intended, just some hopefully innocent banter/juvenile humour!)

(*)Source: "The comprehensive and incomplete translation guide to the BREND-an! and the Woke Yolk’s names on the Shotgun Start."

10 minutes ago, Supermilo said:

Had she not won the US Open, she would not have had her LPGA card and who knows if and when she'd chose to shift citizenship... Either way, she's Japanese now, for all intents and purposes. (Certainly for this thread/forum lol)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Supermilo said:

I don’t see anything wrong with it. If she can make more dollars while near the top I’m all for it. I’m sure she’s not going to shun the Filipinos 

• Like 3

I don’t see anything wrong with it. If she can make more dollars while near the top I’m all for it. I’m sure she’s not going to shun the Filipinos 

Yup, certainly nothing wrong with what Sabbatini did per se either... 

What'll be interesting is how she capitalizes on this going forward.  She definitely has the game... will she "dislodge" Nasa will be interesting this full LPGA season, at least for me. (Though I root for Hinako, obviously lol)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Supermilo said:

Yup, certainly nothing wrong with what Sabbatini did per se either... 

What'll be interesting is how she capitalizes on this going forward.  She definitely has the game... will she "dislodge" Nasa will be interesting this full LPGA season, at least for me. (Though I root for Hinako, obviously lol)

I disagree there because he has no Slovakian parents haha. Just wasn’t good enough to be on SA team. Funny though he did win silver somehow lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just saw Nasa's Drive On commercial...it's good...minimal/no fluff.

So Nasa has been on tour 5 years....I'm assuming Nasa....although she'd like to...may never prioritize grasping a thorough command of the English language.

Seems like mom is travelling with her....can I assume Nasa has a bilingual road manager?....if yes...who?

I really wish Nasa would dump Greg J.

So now that there are 4 Japanese LPGA pros on tour...... will they hang out, share accommodations, eat and travel as a pack?....will Nasa remain a lone wolf?

I assume if they all got along outside the ropes...they will be happier???...and it will show up on the course???

I know they are competitors...would they ask Nasa to share some info from her yardage books?....or will Nasa as a competitor.....be selfish and not share this info?

Edited by KBong
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, KBong said:

So Nasa has been on tour 5 years....I'm assuming Nasa....although she'd like to...may never prioritize grasping a thorough command of English.

Seems like mom is travelling with her....can I assume Nasa has a bilingual road manager?....if yes...who?

So now that there are 4 Japanese LPGA pros on tour...... will they hang out, share accommodations, eat and travel as a pack?....will Nasa remain a lone wolf?

I assume if they all got along outside the ropes...they will be happier???...and it will show up on the course???

I know they are competitors...would they ask Nasa to share some info from her yardage books?....or will Nasa as a competitor.....be selfish and not share this info?

@KBong Link to video pls? (sharing is caring 🙂 )

I googled & only found this April 2021 LPGA write-up & related video 

https://www.lpga.com/news/2021/the-sky-is-not-the-limit-for-nasa-hataoka 

http://players.brightcove.net/6057949431001/default_default/index.html?videoId=6248972352001

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

@KBong Link to video pls? (sharing is caring 🙂 )

I googled & only found this April 2021 LPGA write-up & related video 

https://www.lpga.com/news/2021/the-sky-is-not-the-limit-for-nasa-hataoka 

http://players.brightcove.net/6057949431001/default_default/index.html?videoId=6248972352001

Your attached links are the video I saw.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, KBong said:

So Nasa has been on tour 5 years....I'm assuming Nasa....although she'd like to...may never prioritize grasping a thorough command of the English language.

in terms of social?  most likely, the other 3 hang out quite a bit  -- esp Hinako and Yuka (even when they're playing in the LPGA in 2021, not just in the JLPGA).  

I don't think they share info in terms of yardage books, competition is competition for these players -- based on what I know

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Supermilo said:

Yuka and Nasa clearly playing this week... Unfortunately, we'll have to wait a while for Hinako (Japanese press speculating not until March will she be able to participate)...   Ayaka obviously plays next week...

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/d555415d3f1c7f28622186539815fcc5afe404b1

I assume Shibuno's agent will be able to shill some Honda execs and get an invite too?

If you wanna be like Godzilla...you'll have to give up your ZX4 shovels and upgrade to the Z Forged's....just saying.

For a blade they are somewhat forgiving due to a 'long' blade.

A few years ago a guy let me hit his 945's....pretty sweet.

So how many times did you shovel yesterday and today....12 times.🤣

It's crazy they shut down the DVP & Gardiner yesterday.

Edited by KBong
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, KBong said:

I assume Shibuno's agent will be able to shill some Honda execs and get an invite too?

Hinako played 2021 Honda Thailand Classic.  Unfortunately, it's a no-cut event and an invited player isn't eligible to receive CME Ranking points unless she wins.

However, she's eligible to receive Rookie of the Year award points.

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, 18majors said:

Hinako played 2021 Honda Thailand Classic.  Unfortunately, it's a no-cut event and an invited player isn't eligible to receive CME Ranking points.

However, she's eligible to receive Rookie of the Year award points.

I know Shibuno played in the 2021 Honda...but in the translated MUSH in the article that @Supermilo attached....it said it was only "recommended" Shibuno would be an invite...one would think Honda would "confirm" an invite.

I've been to Bangkok and then the Hua Hin area to play golf in 2002 (best golf vacation we've been on).

I knew Pattaya can be somewhat a bit "seedy"....I talked with a guy I know at the range a couple weeks ago who has been on a golf vacation in Pattaya....the crazy NONSENSE sleazy stories he told me had me LMAO....he's an old single guy.

The "gals" target the old guys and try to con them to financially support them into perpetuity....even though they have left to go home.

The old 'sympathy' con.

This guy sent  a gal money for a few months after he left and then finally stopped.

He said ya gotta avoid the "Lady Boys"🤣

I'm sure @Supermilo has been to Thailand on many corporate shin digs and has a few GOOD stories to tell.🤣

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, KBong said:

If you wanna be like Godzilla...you'll have to give up your ZX4 shovels and upgrade to the Z Forged's....just saying.

For a blade they are somewhat forgiving due to a 'long' blade.

A few years ago a guy let me hit his 945's....pretty sweet.

So how many times did you shovel yesterday and today....12 times.🤣

It's crazy they shut down the DVP & Gardiner yesterday.

Lol, golf is just to pass time... For me, too much waste to spend on clubs used less than 3 months in a yr...

Speaking of which, yesterdays shovelling was a fast paced 9 hole duration, not the Carlota Ciganda pace, but rather the Shibuno two player pairing pace haha. Not really a big deal to shovel as it treated it as a "cool down" after a ride in the bike trainer lol. 

• Haha 1

Btw no way can I be like Godzilla, he's got sake belly (I don't drink any alcohol - hate the taste), am of the kenyan marathoner build, and finally, uhhh the only darts I know are the ones on the board, unlike idol Godzilla using fairway wood to hit 270+yrds within 2 ft 8" for an eagle in a playoff to win a pga event lol. 

• Haha 1