2022 Japanese Pros on LPGA: Ayaka, Hinako, Nasa, Yuka

HMHS

Yuka Saso

signed a deal to endorse Honda… logo will be on her back 😜 just off right shoulder on the back …

HONDA JOINS YUKA SASO'S GROWING LIST OF SPONSORS
There's a new logo on Yuka Saso's apparel that continues to fetch the megabucks. And it's another global brand.
Car and motorcycle (and LAWN MOWER) manufacturer Honda announced on March 8 that it has signed a sponsorship contract with Yuka Saso, the Fil-Japanese star who is the reigning US Women's Open.
Saso forged the endorsement contract in time for this week's Honda LPGA Thailand, the second stop of the LPGA Tour's Asian swing where she will be seen with her outfit already carrying the Honda logo.
Japanese websites announced the news today.
Commenting on the new sponsorship contract, Saso said:
"I am very grateful to have signed a sponsorship contract with Honda. I sympathize with Honda's corporate spirit of" challenge "and my own goal of" challenge. " I am also very happy. I would like to take on the challenge of growing as a human being as a golfer. "
Saso already has Callaway and ICTSI as her main sponsors.
Edited by HMHS
added news text and the lawn mowers were my addendum :P
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Supermilo said:

Yuka Saso

signed a deal to endorse Honda… logo will be on her back 😜 just off right shoulder on the back …

HONDA JOINS YUKA SASO'S GROWING LIST OF SPONSORS
There's a new logo on Yuka Saso's apparel that continues to fetch the megabucks. And it's another global brand.
Car and motorcycle (and LAWN MOWER) manufacturer Honda announced on March 8 that it has signed a sponsorship contract with Yuka Saso, the Fil-Japanese star who is the reigning US Women's Open.
Saso forged the endorsement contract in time for this week's Honda LPGA Thailand, the second stop of the LPGA Tour's Asian swing where she will be seen with her outfit already carrying the Honda logo.
Japanese websites announced the news today.
Commenting on the new sponsorship contract, Saso said:
"I am very grateful to have signed a sponsorship contract with Honda. I sympathize with Honda's corporate spirit of" challenge "and my own goal of" challenge. " I am also very happy. I would like to take on the challenge of growing as a human being as a golfer. "
Saso already has Callaway and ICTSI as her main sponsors.

Any info/word on Nelly's BIG announcement?

On 12/15/2021 at 9:21 AM, Supermilo said:

@KBong

a) Pinacooooon --  her name sounds like Pinako - somewhat "very cute" in Japanese... and by stretching it out with so many "o's" connotes some other "creature" that's "funny" -- essentially choosing this name to express some kind of cuteness (of her, i suppose) -- she does like Pikachu a lot anyway

b) AFAIK, there's no official Shibuno fan club that literally follows her like the KLPGA ones.  Truth be told, I'm not too familiar with the KLPGA ones save for the passing videos that you guys post from time to time.  There are many smaller "official fan clubs" that even organize events in Japan amongst themselves (I get invites from time to time  LOL), but rarely do the players attend.  As you know, the players (And Japanese in general), are very private people.   The galleries in the JLPGA are very "respectful" -- no boisterous "babababooyah" or whatever mashed potato stuff you hear here... Westerners may/will find the thousands of fans in the galleries boring, I find them extremely respectful.  

An aside, I told ya last Saturday night Hinako shoots back up to top 20 despite her shooting a 79 in round 7. So she don't need any anti jinx (at least from me) 🙂 - check out 1132pm post of last Sat in QSeries 😛 Chill 😛

• 3 weeks later...

And Hinako's back in business after a +8 last round in JTBC... round 1 highlights and post round interview followed by Ayaka's/Yuka's...  and finally, GolfTV's 45 minute coverage of Japanese/Other players in Chevron 🇯🇵👹

Ayaka post round:

Yuka post round:

Edited by HMHS
  • Like 1

In all seriousness, I know that you're excited that Hinako had a terrific round and is currently the solo leader at the moment.  I am too and hope she can maintain her form.   But, do you think in future that you just skip the attempts at adding a video clip or at least advise what the link is and what the VPN setting is?   It would save a whole lot of guesswork. 

image.png.b655b2d5fce61849aa07c468ad8ff592.png

2 minutes ago, Golf Dino said:

In all seriousness, I know that you're excited that Hinako had a terrific round and is currently the solo leader at the moment.  I am too and hope she can maintain her form.   But, do you think in future that you just skip the attempts at adding a video clip or at least advise what the link is and what the VPN setting is?   It would save a whole lot of guesswork. 

image.png.b655b2d5fce61849aa07c468ad8ff592.png

VPN setting to Japan... dunno how to send the link as it keeps cutting and pasting the video... lemme try this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izG7wnx6WJA

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2021 at 10:57 AM, agolf1 said:

Yuka averaged ~272 yards on the LPGA, although the same size is not as large as most players who got in a full schedule.  Hard to say if her number is skewed either way by the conditions she played in.  That being said, I'm not surprised if the ball is not flying as well in Japan (on average) and I wouldn't be shocked if the fairways aren't quite as firm either (I think LPGA is getting 20+ yards of roll on average over the course of a season).

So if Hinako was hypothetically ~255 in LPGA terms now and has added yardage, that would have put her much shorter than the Minjee, Lee6 group that I mentioned before (in prior seasons/WBO win).

Shibuno is averaging ~266 yards off the tee this year, or ranked 43rd.  Not sure if her playing conditions are skewing the number?  But on the broadcast she was clocked at 146 mph ballspeed, which should be a mid-to-upper 90s swing speed.  I.e. hardly below average or short for tour standards.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, agolf1 said:

Shibuno is averaging ~266 yards off the tee this year, or ranked 43rd.  Not sure if her playing conditions are skewing the number?  But on the broadcast she was clocked at 146 mph ballspeed, which should be a mid-to-upper 90s swing speed.  I.e. hardly below average or short for tour standards.

@agolf1 fair points. 
I couldn’t find Shibuno’s 2021&prior comparatives on LPGA.com (given 2022=rookie year). 

fyi if useful… found this off the trackman website w.r.t. LPGA Averages (I’m guessing it might be a bit dated) . It shows Shibuno’s stats YTD= better-than-average (with the Average=218yards carry) w.r.t. driving distance/ smash factor?

These trackman stats tell me that with a  218yards carry (ie 200 meters)  = I’m at the LPGA Average for Driving Distance! 😬🚫🤬

https://blog.trackmangolf.com/trackman-average-tour-stats/

image.png.276fcdb26b8f3d228f80c73fb62ff88b.png

https://www.lpga.com/statistics/driving/average-driving-distance?year=2022

https://www.golfwrx.com/326700/hit-it-like-a-girl-for-more-distance/

..p/s: Belatedly tracked-back to the discussion with @Supermilo (circa Dec 2021) w.r.t. Shibuno's 2021& prior Driving Distance stats. 

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 1

Let's just say that Hinako is approximately 20 yds shorter than Yuka Saso today...   Is she long?  No, Yuka is... Can Hinako compete in the LPGA with her length, yes, not even a question these days with her new swing....  in short, length is not going to hinder Hinako winning tournaments... Iron play is what's going to determine her success (as with a lot of Japanese players both LPGA and PGA) 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, agolf1 said:

For apples to apples, use Yuka less 20 yds… that should remove some skew

Edited by HMHS
  • Like 1

"I can build on having no bogeys from the third and fourth days when there were difficult winds and with tough pin setups," Shibuno said. "I couldn't win but I personally think it was a reward for my hard work. I'll be doing so even more going forward."

https://www.nikkansports.com/sports/golf/news/202204170000370.html

• Like 3

Oahu, Hawaii, USA

Hoakalei Country Club

Press Conference

Q.  That was a battle between you and Hyo Joo pretty much all day. What was it like out there just really playing almost match play with Hyo Joo?

HINAKO SHIBUNO: I was having very fun playing with her. My putting was a little, you know, couldn't go in, so that was the different with her.

Q.  First time seeing rain this week. Just little sprinkles, but did that change the golf course at all?

HINAKO SHIBUNO: Not really. Suddenly raining and suddenly sunny and just wind comes from different direction so is just --

Q.  Hard to hold the umbrella?

HINAKO SHIBUNO: Yeah.

Q.  Got you. You're so close to your first win. Do you feel it there? Do you think it's close? How soon do you think you can get that?

HINAKO SHIBUNO: Not yet.

Q.  Not yet. You don't think you're ready yet?

HINAKO SHIBUNO: I can do more. Yeah, I have to improve more.

Q.  What do you think you need to improve? What are you going to focus on?

HINAKO SHIBUNO: Putting.

Q.  All right. So lots of putting practice for you then?

HINAKO SHIBUNO: And the reading greens.

Q.  How do you practice reading greens?

HINAKO SHIBUNO: Taking more long time reading the green.

Q.  Being patient?

HINAKO SHIBUNO: Yeah, being patient.

Q.  There were a lot of Japanese fans and people here. Did it make it feel more comfortable here maybe?

HINAKO SHIBUNO: Well, I was very happy about all the Japanese fans, but little more fans for Hyo Joo from Korea or like Koreans who live here.

Q.  Well, you're an LPGA rookie, many events in. How do you feel? Are you proud of how you're playing? I know you talked about putting, but what can you improve on? What do you hope to improve on throughout your rookie year?

HINAKO SHIBUNO: Well, my goal was to get the card -- not the card, the seed, but now just want to win maybe once. Yep.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Supermilo said:

Q.  What do you think you need to improve? What are you going to focus on?

HINAKO SHIBUNO: Putting.

Q.  All right. So lots of putting practice for you then?

More putting practice please Hinako Shibuno! 👸🏻😬

📸We are waiting to see that beaming Smiling Cinderella, when you win your first LPGA trophy!🏆

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

More putting practice please Hinako Shibuno! 👸🏻😬

📸We are waiting to see that beaming Smiling Cinderella, when you win your first LPGA trophy!🏆

Forget putting,  iron play more than makes up for their deficiencies… 🎯🎯🎯 dunno how they manage to get such high compression on their iron play LOL 😂.  Aka Hideki … all they need is some good days with the putter and they’ll be ok eg nasa Hinako Yuka Hideki 🎌

Edited by HMHS
  • Like 1

This Hinako Shibuno video (recapping the Chevron) suddenly appeared today in my Youtube feed.

I 'blame' @Supermilo as i'm guessing using a Google Chrome browser means it constantly feeds Youtube with my browsing history (including @Supermilo's Golfwrx thread here w.r.t. JLPGA pros on the LPGA!)

..p/s: Google's auto-translate w.r.t. the subtitles/transcript

= seemed to really struggle w.r.t. this latest Hinako Shibuno video

(or her fatigued video-editor gave up with the transcript/ subtitle timings)... 

e.g. i doubt the video mentioned the following ... circa the ~5m45s timestamp where she discusses the 4 Majors?

Quote: 

I'll do my best Doo Major 4 days all

0:01

It's a family with many coloring books, isn't it?

0:02

Because I don't use 100

It's okay to do shots or something like that

It ’s not human, it ’s not human.

I'll do my best What the barrel thinks

I really want you to run to

After all I took a picture last year while doing various things

What I felt with my teeth was Raffle

It ’s okay to be the third daughter, it ’s okay at all.

0:03

The boss is also my wall-mounted predator, so it's a lie

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/16/2022 at 3:20 AM, JungleJimbo said:

@agolf1 fair points. 
I couldn’t find Shibuno’s 2021&prior comparatives on LPGA.com (given 2022=rookie year). 

fyi if useful… found this off the trackman website w.r.t. LPGA Averages (I’m guessing it might be a bit dated) . It shows Shibuno’s stats YTD= better-than-average (with the Average=218yards carry) w.r.t. driving distance/ smash factor?

These trackman stats tell me that with a  218yards carry (ie 200 meters)  = I’m at the LPGA Average for Driving Distance! 😬🚫🤬

https://blog.trackmangolf.com/trackman-average-tour-stats/

image.png.276fcdb26b8f3d228f80c73fb62ff88b.png

https://www.lpga.com/statistics/driving/average-driving-distance?year=2022

https://www.golfwrx.com/326700/hit-it-like-a-girl-for-more-distance/

..p/s: Belatedly tracked-back to the discussion with @Supermilo (circa Dec 2021) w.r.t. Shibuno's 2021& prior Driving Distance stats. 

Ugh. Please don't use that outdated Trackman chart. It keeps circulating around the web as current, but it's ten years old.

https://getyourgolffix.blogspot.com/2012/07/pga-lpga-tour-averages.html?m=1

• Like 3

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

3 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Ugh. Please don't use that outdated Trackman chart. It keeps circulating around the web as current, but it's ten years old.

https://getyourgolffix.blogspot.com/2012/07/pga-lpga-tour-averages.html?m=1

10 yrs old??? Shibuno was only 13 by then... makes sense at 210 yds 🤣... 

seriously though, depending on the course/carry/condition, I expect Hinako to be at 240-260yds in the LPGA after the "revised" swing.... and I like to use Yuka as a basis since there'll be more tracking her driving distance(s) in tournaments (as they keep saying she's long)

Yuka less 10-20 yrds = Hinako -- sometimes both are even paired together in the same flight so there'll be zero deviation on conditions... 

Also, Yuka usually ends up playing the same tournaments as Hinako.  Both are clearly good friends on and off the course (even going on to talk about their personal lives on the course -- which is usually a "no-no" for Japanese, as evidenced with Hideki).  

• Like 2

Ayaka Furue was the player of the year for the combined 2021-2020 JLPGA season, Hinako Shibuno was #16.  My impression was, however, that Hinako was a better player.  My sense was that Hinako treated JLPGA as a training ground for LPGA and she didn't care much about her JLPGA record.

After a quarter of 2022 LPGA season, Hinako is #15 on CME ranking and Ayaka is #47, which is about right.  

My unanswered Hinako question has been "is she a Top-15, Top-10 or Top-5 LPGA player?"  Will need to wait a little longer for that!

I still expect Hinako to win 2022 LPGA Rookie of the Year Race, even though she trails Atthaya by 177 points.

Edited by 18majors

3 hours ago, 18majors said:

Ayaka Furue was the player of the year for the combined 2021-2020 JLPGA season, Hinako Shibuno was #16.  My impression was, however, that Hinako was a better player.  My sense was that Hinako treated JLPGA as a training ground for LPGA and she didn't care much about her JLPGA record.

After a quarter of 2022 LPGA season, Hinako is #15 on CME ranking and Ayaka is #47, which is about right.  

My unanswered Hinako question has been "is she a Top-15, Top-10 or Top-5 LPGA player?"  Will need to wait a little longer for that!

I still expect Hinako to win 2022 LPGA Rookie of the Year Race, even though she trails Atthaya by 177 points.

Hinako had swing changes in 2020-2021 -- and indeed "toyed" with it / the swing in the JLPGA during the pandemic... and won 2x as a result LOL.   She also had a few "distractions" in 2021 in Japan -- eg social life etc 

If she improves her consistency then she can be top 5 (why I'm hopeful after last weekend's performance - all rounds under par)...  what she attians in terms of ranking all depends on the up and comers too (eg competition).   Rather than top 5-15, my question is when will she be "lucky" enough to win her first in the LPGA, again matter of luck too, good bounces, etc...  (Open doesn't count since she's not a member when she won  even if it's an LPGA sanctioned event LOL)

The advantage Hinako has, heading into the US Open (and other majors this year) is that, she's been there so many times (contending at that) that you know she can attain a ton of points for the rookie of the year race...   

In her interviews early this year, her first goal was to keep her card, now that she most likely has it, it's to get to the CME tournament at the end of the year... and of course, she stated she's still "quite a ways away" from her first win (very "Hideki" like haha)

• Like 1

I am a fan of Shibuno's new and improved swing.  Simple, efficient motion.  Haven't looked at the stats in depth, just eye test.

Also a fan of Shibuno's apparel deal(s).  Her current wardrobe -- looked like maybe Adiddas? -- is so much sharper than what she was sporting around the time she appeared on the scene.  

Go Cindy!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, postfold said:

I am a fan of Shibuno's new and improved swing.  Simple, efficient motion.  Haven't looked at the stats in depth, just eye test.

Also a fan of Shibuno's apparel deal(s).  Her current wardrobe -- looked like maybe Adiddas? -- is so much sharper than what she was sporting around the time she appeared on the scene.  

Go Cindy!

she was sporting "Beams" (Japanese brand).  I think (though I could be wrong) that she's still sporting Beams in domestic tournaments (in Japan) and that she's Adidas outside of Japan.  

25 minutes ago, postfold said:

She was definitely wearing Adidas last week, but you're right that she had a Beams pullover on yesterday.

I have to go through her contract/her manager to find out when she dons what 😆...  seriously though, I will try to find out if there's any "rhyme or reason" when she wears what.  I’m as confused as some others how she's able to "get away" with 2 clothing "contracts" LOL.

58 minutes ago, Supermilo said:

I’m as confused as some others how she's able to "get away" with 2 clothing "contracts" LOL.

Well the obvious answer is that she has no contracts or her apparel deals do not require exclusivity, allowing exceptions for each (i.e.: Adidas and Beams).   Beams really is not much of a competitor with Adidas so perhaps this is also some form of collaborative effort.  

22 minutes ago, Golf Dino said:

Well the obvious answer is that she has no contracts or her apparel deals do not require exclusivity, allowing exceptions for each (i.e.: Adidas and Beams).   Beams really is not much of a competitor with Adidas so perhaps this is also some form of collaborative effort.  

She definitely has contracts… Beams was signed while she was playing JLPGA pre Open win actually (I saw her sign, not live/in person of course LOL)… more curious if there’s any overlap or specific stipulation given her unique situation. 

4 hours ago, Supermilo said:

She definitely has contracts… Beams was signed while she was playing JLPGA pre Open win actually (I saw her sign, not live/in person of course LOL)… more curious if there’s any overlap or specific stipulation given her unique situation. 

You answered your own question.  If she has contracts then they obviously do not contain exclusivity clauses (with some specificity regarding where and when their apparel is to be worn).