2022 Japanese Pros on LPGA: Ayaka, Hinako, Nasa, Yuka

HMHS

17 minutes ago, 8602081 said:

That's like saying Michelle Wie and Yealimi Noh are Korean golfers, they are Americans..

They might have Korean parents, but they were born in US and represent US..

Lucy Li was born in US and is considered American golfer.  Not understanding so much hatred..

Your sarcasm meter needs to be fixed.🤣

I'm Chinese with a Canadian passport🤣...so FAKE Chinese.

I'm quite sure if I was in a shopping mall in Kansas City and you asked 50 shoppers what nationality I am.....I kinda think no one would say I'm American nor Canadian....I'm pretty sure all 50 would say I'm Asian...maybe some might say Chinese.

When ya look like this....people won't mix me up as Caucasian/American or Canadian.🤣

spacer.png

12 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Any worry about fatigue with 4 in four weeks, including the travel?

if you’re asking me, yes... they're human...  but if you're asking me as a fan, what fatigue ?  that's not allowed!

{I've pulled all nighters and showered in the office gym/locker room and had to go back to work the day of to finish a deal. - but that's when i was in their age group AND i was sitting on a desk rather than driving 250-280yds and walking on the course in 85-90% humidity and 30+C heat ☺︎

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, 18majors said:

Many players, including Yealimi Noh, have signed up to play all nine tournaments between now and US Women's Open.

There're many one week breaks:

1.  Between Thailand and Kia
  2.  Between Chevron and Lotte
  3.  Between JTBC Palos Verdes and Cognizant Founders
  4.  Between Cognizant Founders and Match-Play Las Vegas

Truth be told, I think the physical fatigue is somewhat "offset" by less emotional fatigue as they're "no cut" events and based on what you surmised, even DFL gets CME points.  I'd prefer to personally travel to these tournaments (of course I'm kinda biased) and get the certainty of points given no cut... so physical fatigue is somewhat "negated" by less "emotional/mental" fatigue in the Asian events???  Again, biased opinion esp since I know both venues/countries quite well and how to adjust to it: conditions, food, etc

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Any worry about fatigue with 4 in four weeks, including the travel?

Come on.....it's 5 weeks with a week break in the middle.

I believe IMG pays the expenses on the Asian Swing....I believe the pro obtains a business class return flight ticket (so they are not SLUMMING in economy) from IMG and valet services available in Singapore and Bangkok/Pattaya too.

I bet if I gave you a loop & a sherpa.....you could play golf 14 days straight...1 week off...then 14 days straight days of golf again...without even breaking a SWEAT.

And I think you're a late 50 something guy who also carries a few too many craft beers around the girth.🤣

But there would be A TON of head scratching....seeing you with a player creds badge...yet when the LPGA security team opens up THE BINDER and sees your picture 4 times on the FRONT PAGE....there will be SO MUCH CONFUSION.🤣

Edited by KBong
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, KBong said:

Come on.....it's 5 weeks with a week break in the middle.

I believe IMG pays the expenses on the Asian Swing....I believe the pro obtains a business class return flight ticket (so they are not SLUMMING in economy) from IMG and valet services available in Singapore and Bangkok/Pattaya too.

I bet if I gave you a loop & a sherpa.....you could play golf 14 days straight...1 week off...then 14 days straight days of golf again...without even breaking a SWEAT.

And I think you're a late 50 something guy who also carries a few too many craft beers around the girth.🤣

But there would be A TON of head scratching....seeing you with a player creds badge...yet when the LPGA security team opens up THE BINDER and sees your picture 4 times on the FRONT PAGE....there will be SO MUCH CONFUSION.🤣

All that walking is doing me some good, even with the beer intake. I've lost 40 lbs since I retired in November '19.

• Like 3

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

10 hours ago, Supermilo said:

Truth be told, I think the physical fatigue is somewhat "offset" by less emotional fatigue as they're "no cut" events and based on what you surmised, even DFL gets CME points.  I'd prefer to personally travel to these tournaments (of course I'm kinda biased) and get the certainty of points given no cut... so physical fatigue is somewhat "negated" by less "emotional/mental" fatigue in the Asian events???  Again, biased opinion esp since I know both venues/countries quite well and how to adjust to it: conditions, food, etc

I dunno. I think I'd rather miss a cut and have the weekend off to reset and practice than to schlep around on the course in the heat and humidity for two days near the bottom of the leaderboard.

• Like 1

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

14 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

I dunno. I think I'd rather miss a cut and have the weekend off to reset and practice than to schlep around on the course in the heat and humidity for two days near the bottom of the leaderboard.

Really? I’d take the CME points no matter what in these events… then again I’m coming from a different perspective… eg I hate the cold, run in heat alerts and laugh at it when it’s humidex 40+C here in Toronto and I’m one of the few running 10k training runs LOL 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, 18majors said:

@Supermilo

Ayaka and Hinako celebrated Hideki's big '30':

274635648_936792916987881_2899143151567388300_n.jpg.0f544c3615706286dbff5d062e1007f4.jpg

Too bad mamiko (also in the pic) didn’t bother with the lpga during her prime years... I mean she’s still young but isn’t playing  as well these days as when she’d play majors like the US Open a few years back (contended too) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Supermilo said:

Too bad mamiko (also in the pic) didn’t bother with the lpga during her prime years... I mean she’s still young but isn’t playing  as well these days as when she’d play majors like the US Open a few years back (contended too) 

@Supermilo (or other learned ‘Senpai’ on this forum!)

Gonna need your help to identify the Japanese superstar golfers in the photo please!

Domo-arigato! 🙏 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CaZ297nue8v/

C6AC07CB-4988-43D2-A03A-4BDAE0EFDB11.webp

Edited by JungleJimbo

7 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

Gonna need your help to identify the Japanese superstar golfers in the photo please!

Domo-arigato! 🙏 

That looks like Ayaka Furue on the far left. The player in the yellow shirt is Mamiko Higa. Nasa is next to her in the red polo, and Hinako Shibuno is in the back right. 

Ryo Ishikawa is in the center with the red visor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

Domo-arigato! 🙏 

Isao Aoki (the "legend" in white shirt with dunlop logo with grey pants), Shigeki Maruyama (the smiling Assassin, smiling with black cap beside Hinako), Tommy Nakajima (with big spectacles, in green vest), the ozaki brothers (jumbo beside ryo and shigeki), shingo katayama (in cowboy hat beside Tommy to the left).... an aside, there's always heartbreak if you rooted for Tommy Nakajima  in the late 70s/80s (i did LOL)...

clearly, the most successful golfer is the man in the green jacket!  then i'd say nasa is next along with Ai Miyazato (am surprised why Ai isn't included)... Chako Higuchi (Japan's first major winner) should have been included rather than Mamiko or Ayaka, in my opinion...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Supermilo said:

Isao Aoki (the "legend" in white shirt with dunlop logo with grey pants), Shigeki Maruyama (the smiling Assassin, smiling with black cap beside Hinako), Tommy Nakajima (with big spectacles, in green vest), the ozaki brothers (jumbo beside ryo and shigeki), shingo katayama (in cowboy hat beside Tommy to the left).... an aside, there's always heartbreak if you rooted for Tommy Nakajima  in the late 70s/80s (i did LOL)...

clearly, the most successful golfer is the man in the green jacket!  then i'd say nasa is next along with Ai Miyazato (am surprised why Ai isn't included)... Chako Higuchi (Japan's first major winner) should have been included rather than Mamiko or Ayaka, in my opinion...

Yeah, Ai missing is a real head scratcher. IIRC she's the only Japanese player to ever reach #1 in the world.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Supermilo said:

@Supermilo and @Argonne69 thanks for confirming... your descriptive responses were fun to read! 🏆 🏆 
(I was also unsure if Ai Miyazato was in the picture... you confirmed she wasn’t... I will have to sit in the ‘naughty corner’ / hang my head in shame, for being unable to immediately identify Mamiko Higa in the photo without cheating ie googling!)

2 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

That looks like Ayaka Furue on the far left. The player in the yellow shirt is Mamiko Higa. Nasa is next to her in the red polo, and Hinako Shibuno is in the back right. 

Ryo Ishikawa is in the center with the red visor.

Edited by JungleJimbo

29 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

@Supermilo and @Argonne69 thanks for confirming... your descriptive responses were fun to read! 🏆🏆 
(I was also unsure if Ai Miyazato was in the picture... you confirmed she wasn’t... I will have to sit in the ‘naughty corner’ / hang my head in shame, for being unable to immediately identify Mamiko Higa in the photo without cheating ie googling!)

Ai was special. Always with a smile while under immense pressure from the press.

spacer.png

I loved her tempo. When I get too quick I try to mimic her long, slow takeaway. This is a fairly famous video comparing her tempo to Brittany Lincicome. Brittany is finished with her swing, while Ai is still in her backswing.

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Golf Dino said:

Arguably, the second most famous Asian player at the time . . .behind this guy:

44825744_trevino.jpg?w=406
 GettyImages-75872795.jpg

Good one.

Mr. Lu of Taiwan.

Mr. Lu's golf ball hit a woman on the 72nd hole...he was visibly shaken....but got up and down for a great par.

In the attached video....The Merry Mex would have been lambasted as racist by our Pink Shirt Society nowadays for the way he said...."flied rice" to Mr. Lu walking up 18...and the way Trevino in his trophy speech said...."he speaka no English...and I speaka no Chinese".

WTH....LMAO.....obviously there was no OBNOXIOUS GREED back then...Mr. Lu won 4000 pounds and Trevino pocketed 5500 pounds.

Back in the day, Trevino was my fav playa....I liked the way he'd walk the fairways like a gangsta stalking down his opponents.

https://www.golfchannel.com/video/british-open-highlights-1971

Edited by KBong
  • Like 1

My dad used to be a partner & GM of a very popular Chinese restaurant in Burlington, Ont back in the 1960's.

He played host to some Taiwanese golf pros playing in the Carling World open in 1967 at The Board Of Trade CC...NW of Toronto.

I wonder if one of the pros was Mr. Lu.

Supposedly, he also hosted Arnold Palmer for lunch at the restaurant.

Dad was given a great orange sports jacket with a beautiful embroidered Carling World Open pocket patch.

But my mom gave the jacket to the Salvation Army when he passed in 2002.....ugh....dad and I were the same size 42R....I would have loved to wear that jacket as a conversation piece to some dinner parties.

My dad was an avid 7 cap golfer...he used to work 6 days a week and on his day off would play golf....that's how I started to play golf.

My cap has also hovered as a 7 cap...give or take a stroke for the past 4+ decades.

Although we were not members at The Board of Trade CC...coincidently....one of our last rds of golf together in the late 1980's was at the BoTCC....I was not aware at the time we played...... it was the host course in 1967.

Billy Casper won the 1967 CWO....it was a PGA tour event.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carling_World_Open

Edited by KBong
  • Like 2

Trevino won the Triple Crown (USO, Open Championship & Cdn Open) in 1971

In 2000....Tiger decided at the last moment to register for the Cdn Open to try to capture the Triple Crown too....once announced.....I believe 45,000 additional tickets were sold in the week leading up the tournament.

This is the event of the FAMOUS Tiger 218 yard 6 iron out of a fairway bunker with a shot over water on the 72nd hole at Glen Abbey...the rest is history.

Grant Waite came in 2nd a stroke behind.....Grant is a coach to Patty T and other LPGA pros and has also looped for them at times.

I think Woods has only played the Cdn Open 3 times???

1997 in Montreal....one of his few trunk slams...2000 and seeking revenge in 2001 at Royal Montreal for the MC.

It's a shame that the Cdn Open has basically become a 2nd tier event on the PGA tour...it used to be a highly sought after trophy for the PGA tour pros....Arnold's 1st win on the PGA tour in 1955 at Weston G&CC and one that Jack most wanted to win....a bridesmaid 7 times.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Ai was special. Always with a smile while under immense pressure from the press.

spacer.png

I loved her tempo. When I get too quick I try to mimic her long, slow takeaway. This is a fairly famous video comparing her tempo to Brittany Lincicome. Brittany is finished with her swing, while Ai is still in her backswing.

Yes...Ai-Chan was great....very approachable and always with a smile.....the NHK crew were always following and filming her and interviewing her.

Ai-Chan was one of the early adopters of wearing knee highs...I didn't like the look at the time...but after golfing with a Korean lady who always wore them...I began to like the look.

My fav Ai-Chan moment was watching her take down Crusty at the 2010 Portland event.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KBong said:

Yes...Ai-Chan was great....very approachable and always with a smile.....the NHK crew were always following and filming her and interviewing her.

Ai-Chan was one of the early adopters of wearing knee highs...I didn't like the look at the time...but after golfing with a Korean lady who always wore them...I began to like the look.

My fav Ai-Chan moment was watching her take down Crusty at the 2010 Portland event.

My favorite moment was her first win at the 2009 Evian. It was like the weight of the world was lifted off of her shoulders. She went on to win 5 times in 2010, including her back to back wins at the Honda and HSBC. She also beat Cristie at the HSBC by two shots. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

My favorite moment was her first win at the 2009 Evian. It was like the weight of the world was lifted off of her shoulders. She went on to win 5 times in 2010, including her back to back wins at the Honda and HSBC. She also beat Cristie at the HSBC by two shots. 

Good memory.....so did you Google the above or can you really remember these details?

I forgot, it took a while for Ai-Chan to win and I also forgot she won 5 times in 2010.

Another pro kinda similar to Ai-Chan was Jiyai Shin....always smiling, very approachable and a short hitter.

It was a shame Jiyai returned to Korea to look after family and be closer to them and play on the JLPGA.

13 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

She also beat Cristie at the HSBC by two shots. 

I just Googled Ai-Chan...more GOOD news....Ai also beat SNaP twice too.🤣

SNaP also lost to Lydia at the 2012 & 2015 CWO...no wonder Stacy hates the Asians.🤣

And no....I have never asked Stacy for a selfie or autograph...to help minimize her hate for the Asians.🤣

BUT

Maybe I'll ask Stacy for a selfie at the 2023 CWO....I'll wear this hat that I bought for $2 in Beijing...just to stir the pot with her...I LUV Drama

But the back strap is broken...you know...that "MADE IN CHINA" quality.🤣

spacer.png 

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, KBong said:

Good memory.....so did you Google the above or can you really remember these details?

I forgot, it took a while for Ai-Chan to win and I also forgot she won 5 times in 2010.

Another pro kinda similar to Ai-Chan was Jiyai Shin....always smiling, very approachable and a short hitter.

It was a shame Jiyai returned to Korea to look after family and be closer to them and play on the JLPGA.

Lol. I started watching the LPGA with the 2009 ANA, errrr, Chevron, when Brittany hit her approach on the 18th and made eagle to win the tournament. I remember Ai vividly because of her tempo. She almost instantly became my first favorite LPGA player. It was good timing on my part because she went on a tear the following year. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

I remember Ai vividly because of her tempo. 

I have a fast backswing which I don't like and want to change.....I want to slow it down...but bad habits are hard to break.

If my backswing is too fast....it will at times won't allow me to get my hands set at the top....leading to an unpowerful wrist position.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KBong said:

I have a fast backswing which I don't like and want to change.....I want to slow it down...but bad habits are hard to break.

If my backswing is too fast....it will at times won't allow me to get my hands set at the top....leading to an unpowerful wrist position.

For years I've said that power is not generated in the backswing. Baseball players hit home runs without taking a backswing. The backswing positions the club, and clearing the hips generates the power. Rory and Yuka are good examples. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

For years I've said that power is not generated in the backswing. Baseball players hit home runs without taking a backswing. The backswing positions the club, and clearing the hips generates the power. Rory and Yuka are good examples. 

I was thinking last week of starting my swing with being at the top of my back swing and then make a swing towards the ball.