2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Open Championship in July! Looking for Scotland and Ireland course recommendations

gdb99

We have 4 of us going to The Open Championship and then heading to Dublin and Ennis for a few days after. 
Looking to play a round in each of these towns and a round near Dundee before the Open.
One of my friends is talking to a guy (don’t know where he found him) there about booking the rounds now. He said we can play Royal Dublin Golf Club and Doonbeg for 1580 eros. 
A little rich for my blood. 
Anyone have any recommendations? First trip for any of us to Ireland. 
Looking for suggestions, trip advice, booking advice. Thanks. 

You’ve got quite a few to choose from near Dundee. Scotscraig, Monifieth, Panmure, and of course Carnoustie are all very good options. I just returned from my groups trip to Ireland in October. You have some really good options in Dublin.
     Depending on your budget, you have many options near Dublin. We played Corballis Golf club for €40 and we really enjoyed it. It’s a shorter course and par 68 but we all loved it. 14 great links holes right on the ocean and 4 ho hum holes. It’s right next to The Island which most locals say is the best course there. It’s a little more expensive to play there, I think it’s around €200, but Royal Dublin is around €170 and Portmarnock is around €250 I believe.
     You also have a really good option to play on your way over to Ennis. Palmerstown House (Kildare Golf Club) is about 45 mins outside Dublin on the way to Ennis. I believe it’s about €65 to play there. When you’re in Ennis you have some really good options. Obviously first and foremost you have Lahinch, it’s a top 100 course in world. We played it twice on our trip and it was AWESOME! We paid €250 and it was worth every penny. You have Doonbeg which we also played on our trip. It was just a touch below Lahinch, but it was still great. We paid €150 but I think the usual price is around €200. Dromoland Castle is also a good option. I think it’s around €100 to play there.

Not sure where the €1500 price is coming from to play Royal Dublin and Doonbeg, but you literally can go to any clubs website and book your own times for a fraction of that price. I just looked, and Doonbeg is €220 for July, 2022 and Royal Dublin is €160. If you have any other questions, just send me a PM.

Spoiler

Edited by hammergolf

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

On 12/17/2021 at 4:41 PM, gdb99 said:

We have 4 of us going to The Open Championship and then heading to Dublin and Ennis for a few days after. 
Looking to play a round in each of these towns and a round near Dundee before the Open.
One of my friends is talking to a guy (don’t know where he found him) there about booking the rounds now. He said we can play Royal Dublin Golf Club and Doonbeg for 1580 eros. 
A little rich for my blood. 
Anyone have any recommendations? First trip for any of us to Ireland. 
Looking for suggestions, trip advice, booking advice. Thanks. 

WT HOLY F?  1580 E for those 2 courses...are you sure that it wasn't 158?  That's ~$1700!!  Yoiu must have misunderstood?  _ there is no way on earth they would charge that or that someone would quote that!!  And if they are quoting that, they are thieves!

Royal Dublin is barely worth 50e; Doonbeg maybe 150-200e!!

When in Dublin area, I would play 1) Island then 2) Baltray as the top 2 choices.    If Links is not a priority, Carton House has 2 super courses (inland links and parkland).  

When in Ennis 1) Lahinch  2) Ballybunion 3) Doonbeg  4) Adare Manor  

If in Dundee, I would say the obvious choice is Carnoustie if you can get on.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, puttnforthe8 said:

WT HOLY F?  1580 E for those 2 courses...are you sure that it wasn't 158?  That's ~$1700!!  Yoiu must have misunderstood?  _ there is no way on earth they would charge that or that someone would quote that!!  And if they are quoting that, they are thieves!

Royal Dublin is barely worth 50e; Doonbeg maybe 150-200e!!

When in Dublin area, I would play 1) Island then 2) Baltray as the top 2 choices.    If Links is not a priority, Carton House has 2 super courses (inland links and parkland).  

When in Ennis 1) Lahinch  2) Ballybunion 3) Doonbeg  4) Adare Manor  

If in Dundee, I would say the obvious choice is Carnoustie if you can get on.  

Just to be clear, it's 1580 E for a foursome at both courses. So, $225 each course, each player.

One of the guys wants to slurge on Doonbeg for the last round. Right now it's 220 E per player.

Great suggestions. Thanks. I will look them up!

8 minutes ago, gdb99 said:

Just to be clear, it's 1580 E for a foursome at both courses. So, $225 each course, each player.

One of the guys wants to slurge on Doonbeg for the last round. Right now it's 220 E per player.

Great suggestions. Thanks. I will look them up!

Unsure if I read correctly. The last thing I would be doing is to play one round  in each of these venues. You’d spend most of your time travelling. I know Scotland and Ireland and live 100 miles south of Edinburgh. I’d select an area not far from St Andrew’s and spend my time there. Say between Luffness/ Gullane and North Berwick/ Dunbar. Cheers

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Pastit said:

Unsure if I read correctly. The last thing I would be doing is to play one round  in each of these venues. You’d spend most of your time travelling. I know Scotland and Ireland and live 100 miles south of Edinburgh. I’d select an area not far from St Andrew’s and spend my time there. Say between Luffness/ Gullane and North Berwick/ Dunbar. Cheers

Believe me, I wish we could! We are traveling with one of my buddies fiance and daughter. They made the travel itinerary... All we are doing is trying to squeeze in 3 rounds of golf in 11 days without them being too upset. 😁

15 minutes ago, gdb99 said:

Believe me, I wish we could! We are traveling with one of my buddies fiance and daughter. They made the travel itinerary... All we are doing is trying to squeeze in 3 rounds of golf in 11 days without them being too upset. 😁

Got you: if you want to see the best of Ireland then it’s between the Shannon and north of Achill Island. Lahinch for golf and the Cliffs of Moah for sightseeing, Lisdoonvana for Ukrainian ladies & singing. Not to be missed. Enjoy.

• Like 1

I would not stay in East Lothian if you’re planning to head to St. Andrews as well. It’s a horrible drive to get to St. Andrews from East Lothian.  You would be better off playing a leven, lundin, elie dumbarnie in my opinion. 

in Dublin, I know some guys over there who say that royal Dublin has been made worse since the redesign. I’ve played portmarnock, the island and county louth and all 3 are incredible. Baltray otherwise known as county louth is a hidden gem 

10 hours ago, Ralphyboy84 said:

I would not stay in East Lothian if you’re planning to head to St. Andrews as well. It’s a horrible drive to get to St. Andrews from East Lothian.  You would be better off playing a leven, lundin, elie dumbarnie in my opinion. 

in Dublin, I know some guys over there who say that royal Dublin has been made worse since the redesign. I’ve played portmarnock, the island and county louth and all 3 are incredible. Baltray otherwise known as county louth is a hidden gem 

The best way into St Andrew’s is by train and shuttle bus. Excellent train service all the way from Dunbar to St Andrew’s via Edinburgh. Try not to confuse visitors please. 

8 minutes ago, Ralphyboy84 said:

Are you for real? St. Andrews doesn’t even have a train station! Courses in East Lothian are great but it’s not an easy trip to st andrews from there and they would be much better off staying in fife

8 minutes ago, Ralphyboy84 said:

Are you for real? St. Andrews doesn’t even have a train station! Courses in East Lothian are great but it’s not an easy trip to st andrews from there and they would be much better off staying in fife

Leuchars Junction with a short bus-shuttle, top class. Done it many times even from Newcastle - excellent and some manners would not go amiss. 

5 hours ago, Ralphyboy84 said:

Try reading comprehension!  

Edited by puttnforthe8

15 hours ago, Pastit said:

Leuchars Junction with a short bus-shuttle, top class. Done it many times even from Newcastle - excellent and some manners would not go amiss. 

If you’re travelling from Dunbar to St. Andrews like you have said, the you would need to get a train from Dunbar to Edinburgh, change train, a train from Edinburgh to Leuchars, then a bus from Leuchars to St Andrews. If you think that’s worth all the hassle than basing yourself in Fife, then that’s upto you, but I would suggest it is you misleading people and not me. Your initial post did not make that level of travel clear at all to the other poster

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ralphyboy84 said:

If you’re travelling from Dunbar to St. Andrews like you have said, the you would need to get a train from Dunbar to Edinburgh, change train, a train from Edinburgh to Leuchars, then a bus from Leuchars to St Andrews. If you think that’s worth all the hassle than basing yourself in Fife, then that’s upto you, but I would suggest it is you misleading people and not me. Your initial post did not make that level of travel clear at all to the other poster

You’ve completely missed the point and it’s not my brief to waste my time correcting you. If you read the statements through you will see that I offered options for a golf holiday with an Open close by. Driving for foreign visitors might not be an option for the group. Of course Fife is an option. As is travel from further north. My impression is that they will stay near Dundee - but before and/ or after. Take your vile manners elsewhere. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thanks for all the suggestions.

So, we are staying in Dundee 7/9 - 7/13, but I found out there will be no golf for us. We will be spending our first day site-seeing and getting over jet lag, then attending the Open for 2 practice rounds.
We fly to Dublin on 7/13 and leave on 7/16, playing golf on the 15th. 
Then drive to Ennis 7/16 until 7/19, playing golf on the 18th. 
I still haven’t figured out where to play. The very high end courses let you book now. 
It would be great to play one of the rounds on a links course. I also have to consider that we need at least riding cart. We have an 80 year old with us will not be able to walk 18 holes. 
I would like to keep the rounds under $200 US dollars per player. 
And since we rented a van, and I will be the driver, I really worry about driving on the other side of the road! So less than an hour drive from Dublin center and Ennis center would be ideal.

On 12/26/2021 at 7:36 AM, Ralphyboy84 said:

Hey  @Ralphyboy84- OP said they were staying in Dundee!!  

Edited by puttnforthe8
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, gdb99 said:

So, we are staying in Dundee 7/9 - 7/13, but I found out there will be no golf for us. We will be spending our first day site-seeing and getting over jet lag, then attending the Open for 2 practice rounds.
I still haven’t figured out where to play. The very high end courses let you book now. 
It would be great to play one of the rounds on a links course. I also have to consider that we need at least riding cart. We have an 80 year old with us will not be able to walk 18 holes. 
And since we rented a van, and I will be the driver, I really worry about driving on the other side of the road! So less than an hour drive from Dublin center and Ennis center would be ideal.

I’d look at golf and accommodation combined firstly I.e. hotel with a course. Good idea to drive with headlights on continually in case of errors. Irish roads in remote areas resemble those of the Russian Arctic.  Good luck. 

• Like 1

Just now, Pastit said:

I’d look at golf and accommodation combined firstly I.e. hotel with a course. Good idea to drive with headlights on continually in case of errors. Irish roads in remote areas resemble those of the Russian Arctic.  Good luck. 

Thanks, but, unfortunately, all hotels have been booked already through a travel agent. 
I wish my friend and his fiancé just booked the whole thing together. Hotel, golf, site seeing trips. Seems like it would have been a lot easier!!

42 minutes ago, gdb99 said:

You are in high season, so $200 will be tough....but the $200 limit works to play Baltry (County Louth) - that way you get a good links course near Dublin.

In Ennis - I really think you will need to go overbudget and play Lahinch over Doonbeg.  Both will be above 200 euro.   Now if you just want to play golf, Dromoland Castle is close by.

Also, do not worry about driving on the other side; it's not that difficult.  Maybe mentally prepare by thinking opposite. 🙂   On the bigger roads, it's very easy.  The smaller roads, just drive towards the center until you see a car coming, slow down and pay attention to the sides (how much room you have).  

Edited by puttnforthe8
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

For your time in Dublin, the courses I'd suggest have been mentioned already. The Island would be my first choice, but if you are looking for something less expensive, I'd go with Corballis.  I'm surprised by the negative comments about Royal Dublin. I've really enjoyed it. It's a little flat compared to many links, but has a bunch of fun holes and is very convenient to the city. County Louth is great golf, but is a further drive from Dublin. I'd pass on Sutton if you can play Corballis. Sutton is a nice little course but has only 6 links holes and only a few of them are memorable. Click on a photo below to see photos of the courses.

The Island Golf Club

The Island

Corballis Links

Corballis

Portmarnock Golf Club

Portmarnock

Royal Dublin Golf Club

Royal Dublin

County Louth Golf Club ("Baltray")

County Louth (Baltray)

Sutton Golf Club

Sutton

• Like 1

On 12/26/2021 at 3:36 PM, gdb99 said:

The main roads will not be a problem for you. The “country” roads will be much narrower then you’re used to. Just drive and adjust your speed accordingly. You will be sitting in the right side seat. The thing that will help you is to just remember the center line is ALWAYS on your right. You will adjust, just drive at a speed you’re comfortable with. If you want links golf in the Dublin area on a budget, you can’t beat Corballis Links. They do have a few carts as well so you can call them ahead of time and reserve them. We played it in October and everyone in my group was amazed that we could play a links course right on the water for $40. Then you could splurge on Lahinch while you are in Ennis. 

• Like 1

On 12/27/2021 at 3:53 PM, sabram said:

For your time in Dublin, the courses I'd suggest have been mentioned already. The Island would be my first choice, but if you are looking for something less expensive, I'd go with Corballis.  I'm surprised by the negative comments about Royal Dublin. I've really enjoyed it. It's a little flat compared to many links, but has a bunch of fun holes and is very convenient to the city. County Louth is great golf, but is a further drive from Dublin. I'd pass on Sutton if you can play Corballis. Sutton is a nice little course but has only 6 links holes and only a few of them are memorable. Click on a photo below to see photos of the courses.

The Island Golf Club

The Island

Corballis Links

Corballis

Portmarnock Golf Club

Portmarnock

Royal Dublin Golf Club

Royal Dublin

County Louth Golf Club ("Baltray")

County Louth (Baltray)

Sutton Golf Club

Sutton

These pictures are amazing! Can't wait to go!

1 hour ago, gdb99 said:

I ended up booking a time at Royal Dublin and Dromoland Castle.

Would really like to play Corballis, but they don't book until 15 days out.

Thanks for all the responses and suggestions!!!

If you change your mind and still want to play Corballis they will have plenty of times available. I booked our times 12 days before we arrived and they had lots of times available. Royal Dublin has a 100% refund policy within 15 days of your reservation, so you can keep that as an insurance policy if Corballis doesn’t have times. I would recommend you save the €120 by playing Corballis instead of Royal Dublin, and spend €125 to play Lahinch instead of Dromoland. Net money, it would be basically the same for you. Going to County Clare and not playing Lahinch would be kind of like going to St. Andrews and turning down playing The Old Course in my opinion. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

If you change your mind and still want to play Corballis they will have plenty of times available. I booked our times 12 days before we arrived and they had lots of times available. Royal Dublin has a 100% refund policy within 15 days of your reservation, so you can keep that as an insurance policy if Corballis doesn’t have times. I would recommend you save the €120 by playing Corballis instead of Royal Dublin, and spend €125 to play Lahinch instead of Dromoland. Net money, it would be basically the same for you. Going to County Clare and not playing Lahinch would be kind of like going to St. Andrews and turning down playing The Old Course in my opinion. 

This gentleman gives the best advice. Lahinch and the nearby cliffs, not to be missed. Lisdoonvana: Guinness, singing, more Guinness but post Lahinch. Enjoy. 

3 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

I did see that Royal Dublin had the refund policy, and good to hear that Corballis might be easy to get a tee time.

I agree with Lahinch. Looks amazing. Part of it is Lahinch website says they have no electric carts for hire, walking only. My friend's dad will be 80 (and he will be beating the rest of us). And part of it is the ladies that are going with us love the idea of a spa day at the Castle...

26 minutes ago, gdb99 said:

I did see that Royal Dublin had the refund policy, and good to hear that Corballis might be easy to get a tee time.

I agree with Lahinch. Looks amazing. Part of it is Lahinch website says they have no electric carts for hire, walking only. My friend's dad will be 80 (and he will be beating the rest of us). And part of it is the ladies that are going with us love the idea of a spa day at the Castle...

Yeah, that’s true if he is playing. Doonbeg does allow carts however. I would recommend playing Doonbeg to get the true Irish links experience. While it’s not quite the level of Lahinch, it’s still very good. Dromoland is nice, but just like many courses over here. The girls can have their day at the spa at Doonbeg as well, not to mention it’s in a beautiful location right on the ocean. Unless there are some other “issues” for your group with Doonbeg it is head and shoulders above Dromoland.

Edited by hammergolf
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, hammergolf said:

Yeah, that’s true if he is playing. Doonbeg does allow carts however. I would recommend playing Doonbeg to get the true Irish links experience. While it’s not quite the level of Lahinch, it’s still very good. Dromoland is nice, but just like many courses over here. The girls can have their day at the spa at Doonbeg as well, not to mention it’s in a beautiful location right on the ocean. Unless there are some other “issues” for your group with Doonbeg it is head and shoulders above Dromoland.

There is another "issue" with Doonbeg. The 80 year old would not step foot on that property, knowing who the owner is....unfortunately.

There are so many courses over there I would love to play. I have researched so many, my head is spinning. It's a shame we are only playing 2 rounds.

I'm hoping we can play the 2 we have booked, and add Corballis...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, gdb99 said:

There is another "issue" with Doonbeg. The 80 year old would not step foot on that property, knowing who the owner is....unfortunately.

There are so many courses over there I would love to play. I have researched so many, my head is spinning. It's a shame we are only playing 2 rounds.

I'm hoping we can play the 2 we have booked, and add Corballis...

Well you will enjoy your time. It’s a beautiful country with great golf and very nice people. Definitely don’t miss The Cliffs of Moher!

61E8FA64-6A11-4FED-8B26-C949E1172778.jpeg

FEB83247-3929-41D4-8F7C-7DA43933E078.jpeg

5884F028-32BD-471B-984F-25120A734295.jpeg

C6D4BEDB-679C-4E3F-B8AF-4D4BB575BDC6.jpeg

4DBAFC23-9980-4AF8-835B-9B2713CC70C9.jpeg

2830CD75-74FB-4293-8972-318477F28417.jpeg

Edited by hammergolf
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1