2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Most junior friendly golf course in Florida, California or Texas.

Tugu

World has changed so much that I am no longer tied to any specific location. Hence big decision coming up on which place to settle (I have lived extensively in both Miami and La Jolla). The boys and their desire to play golf at a high level is a big part of the decision.

Would appreciate the collective knowledge of this board to educate me on the courses that offer the most junior friendly terms, access, practice facilities, playing privileges etc.

Thank you all in advance.

Edited by Tugu

I can only speak from my experiences and won't extol bogus uninformed information like other users on this forum but California is huge, as you know, and I don't think you can beat the SCGA YOC program of participating courses.  I think I replied to your other post about YOC but locally I can drop my kid off at two courses (with two courses each) and he can hit a bucket of balls and play 18 for $6 total.  Send him with a $20 and he doesn't have to leave all day.

Golf Pass Facilities | SCGA Junior

From San Diego through Ventura there are multiple high level tours you can play with the top being the SCPGA Toyota Tour Cup.  I don't know many tours that can boast like the SCPGA having so many players that have ended up playing at a high level.  Guys like Rickie, Cam Champ, Collin, Steele, Xander, Cantlay, Sahith, Wolff, Hossler, Homa, Na, etc. have all been through the SCPGA program.  IMO, If you want to be the best you have to play against the best.

The community of junior golfers is also really tight.  It's not hard at all to find a game with friends nearby.

Also, we've got a ton of great instructors that consistently make the top 50 lists every year and even more great coaches that don't but are as good if not better than the guys on the lists.  There is 100% a right fit for your kids someplace here.  

Then there's the weather... can you beat 75 and sunny 90% of the year?

For us we find that being in LA is kind of ideal.  We are right in the middle of where the SCPGA plays and find it pretty easy to travel two hours south to San Diego or an hour north to Ventura or even a quick jaunt into Palm Springs to play in different events.  

If you're into being near the epicenter of golf club manufacturers, they all have a major presence in San Diego.  Titleist has their main TPI center here, TM has the Kingdom and there's the Ely Callaway Performance Institute.  

Drawbacks... it's expensive as F to live here, life moves really fast and we're a little low on water right now.  (Please no political commentary)

If you decide to move back to California at some point please, please, please look at the school district you are moving into first.  They are going to spend more time at school than on the golf course.

• Like 2
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

3 hours ago, leezer99 said:

I can only speak from my experiences and won't extol bogus uninformed information like other users on this forum but California is huge, as you know, and I don't think you can beat the SCGA YOC program of participating courses.  I think I replied to your other post about YOC but locally I can drop my kid off at two courses (with two courses each) and he can hit a bucket of balls and play 18 for $6 total.  Send him with a $20 and he doesn't have to leave all day.

From San Diego through Ventura there are multiple high level tours you can play with the top being the SCPGA Toyota Tour Cup.  I don't know many tours that can boast like the SCPGA having so many players that have ended up playing at a high level.  Guys like Rickie, Cam Champ, Collin, Steele, Xander, Cantlay, Sahith, Wolff, Hossler, Homa, Na, etc. have all been through the SCPGA program.  IMO, If you want to be the best you have to play against the best.

The community of junior golfers is also really tight.  It's not hard at all to find a game with friends nearby.

Also, we've got a ton of great instructors that consistently make the top 50 lists every year and even more great coaches that don't but are as good if not better than the guys on the lists.  There is 100% a right fit for your kids someplace here.  

For us we find that being in LA is kind of ideal.  We are right in the middle of where the SCPGA plays and find it pretty easy to travel two hours south to San Diego or an hour north to Ventura or even a quick jaunt into Palm Springs to play in different events.  

If you're into being near the epicenter of golf club manufacturers, they all have a major presence in San Diego.  Titleist has their main TPI center here, TM has the Kingdom and there's the Ely Callaway Performance Institute.  

Drawbacks... it's expensive as F to live here, life moves really fast and we're a little low on water right now.  (Please no political commentary)

If you decide to move back to California at some point please, please, please look at the school district you are moving into first.  They are going to spend more time at school than on the golf course.

Thank you so much for this comprehensive post.

The boys are 14 and 17, have been doing online schooling for almost 3 years when we lived overseas. Hence they definitely spend more time at the range and on the course.

Having returned to the USA not long ago, I have been going through neverending cycles of sticker shock. Luckily the boys were born in NYC and I worked there and London many years, so it's just a readjustment period.

If it's ok I would like to DM you with a few questions. Primarily I am looking at a home course for them to be based at and work out the plan from there.

Many thanks again.

Edited by Tugu

Advice find a place where you have multiple options where you practice and play.

I’d look to live near a public course like Osprey point in Boca Raton. $50 year to play and the course is in great shape.  Honestly i would rank Osprey Point on of most junior friendly courses in the country.

I am sure other public county courses around Florida have a similar setup to. 

Private courses here are overpriced now.

I be looking at Florida over California since taxes are much lower. 

However if you don’t mind it a little colder i would be looking at myrtle beach or around Hilton Head.  A lot good golf around there and house prices are really good.

4 hours ago, leezer99 said:

There is no reason to live in California anymore.  

The taxes are so bad everyone is leaving and while people still live there you will almost certainly have better access to golf  in almost any other state.

The state openly is trying to pass laws to make courses into housing and refuse water for the course. 

sure you can play a dirt track cheap but the nice courses costs serious money even la jolla is not cheap like it used to be.

7 hours ago, leezer99 said:

That would be great. 

3 hours ago, tiger1873 said:

Advice find a place where you have multiple options where you practice and play.

I’d look to live near a public course like Osprey point in Boca Raton. $50 year to play and the course is in great shape.  Honestly i would rank Osprey Point on of most junior friendly courses in the country.

I am sure other public county courses around Florida have a similar setup to. 

Private courses here are overpriced now.

I be looking at Florida over California since taxes are much lower. 

However if you don’t mind it a little colder i would be looking at myrtle beach or around Hilton Head.  A lot good golf around there and house prices are really good.

Many thanks Tiger. The course you mentioned in Boca does indeed sound like a junior friendly place. Going out after 3 pm til april is just a tad later than we need. I also found that Jensen beach golf club offers an unlimited junior program (range balls included) for 350 per year. Problem is some of the conditioning and practice facilities are somewhat lacking, if I am being polite.

Anyone that has specific details of South Carolina it would be greatly appreciated.

39 minutes ago, Tugu said:

Many thanks Tiger. The course you mentioned in Boca does indeed sound like a junior friendly place. Going out after 3 pm til april is just a tad later than we need. I also found that Jensen beach golf club offers an unlimited junior program (range balls included) for 350 per year. Problem is some of the conditioning and practice facilities are somewhat lacking, if I am being polite.

Anyone that has specific details of South Carolina it would be greatly appreciated.

The great thing about Florida is there are tons of public options around here that don’t cost much. 

you can also live in a golf community but the value is not there like it once was.   With those you  have figure total  cost since you pay way less for a house on a course. I am in a private golf community it has plus but some big negatives too.    

stay the heck away from Jenson Beach that place is a dump and one the worst courses inthe area. You are better off joining pga village  instead in that area.

you can DM if you want.  I can explain everything.  

• Tugu changed the title to Most junior friendly golf course in Florida, California or Texas.

I think Leezer covered most of it, but unless money is no object I'm not sure I would move to California if your boys want a lot of access to golf.   Part's of Los Angeles have muni/county courses that allow for junior rates, but if you want to play it will be tough to get prime tee times.  The same goes for San Diego.   I live in Orange County and the course near me aren't really junior friendly at all.  Again, it's tough here.  Even courses that partake in YOC are really packed.  If work allowed me to, I would probably move to Florida, Oklahoma, or Texas and buy a nice house on the course.  One day maybe.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, kekoa said:

I think Leezer covered most of it, but unless money is no object I'm not sure I would move to California if your boys want a lot of access to golf.   Part's of Los Angeles have muni/county courses that allow for junior rates, but if you want to play it will be tough to get prime tee times.  The same goes for San Diego.   I live in Orange County and the course near me aren't really junior friendly at all.  Again, it's tough here.  Even courses that partake in YOC are really packed.  If work allowed me to, I would probably move to Florida, Oklahoma, or Texas and buy a nice house on the course.  One day maybe.  

Which part of OK? I guess I never considered it a golf destination state, but it makes sense as a natural progression from TX.

My part of FL is putting up neighborhoods as fast as they can 100, 200 and 300 houses per neighborhood (most homes between 1700-2900 sq ft).  Our golf community is about 25% done building out a 125-house expansion where a second 18-hole course was supposed to go, and is trying to shove a 200+ house expansion on our existing course down our throats (gonna be a court battle over it, messy).  All of this in a county with a population of about 160K (2021 numbers, likely 10K higher now).  It's been a gold rush on properties here--houses selling for almost $1M that were like $400K houses a few years ago.... and houses selling for $600K that were $300K houses.   I know that's chump change to SoCal, but it's been a big deal here.

FL, overall, seems really good for junior golf.  Palm Beach County (especially), Orange County, Jacksonville area and Sarasota area are the hot spots, but they are no means the only places with really nice environments for juniors to get started up and running.  

• Like 2

I live in Texas, the course my kid plays/practice at is public I'm not big into the private elements of golf but they do have plenty of those. She takes lessons at one the probably best private courses in the area maybe the state. But rumor of the fees is absurd. Although you do get to see Sergio and others hanging out from time to time so there is that. Austin has a TON of great courses and  we have some great competition here too. Various different tours to play in from STPGA/NTPGA, Legends tour, TJGT (AJGA equivalent). But as Lee has said find a great school if its public or private before you make a jump, there are of course good bad and ugly on all those fronts.  As they say everything is bigger in Texas. 

Joking aside you have to find the right location that fits you and your family lifestyle the best.  

• Like 4

Tugu,

Don't sleep on Alabama. We punch above our weight in JGS rankings, have great schools and courses in the Birmingham and Huntsville areas, incredibly affordable, and golf year around. Canebrake Club in Huntsville is pumping out junior studs like crazy. 

Edited by BloctonGolf11
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, darter79 said:

I live in Texas, the course my kid plays/practice at is public I'm not big into the private elements of golf but they do have plenty of those. She takes lessons at one the probably best private courses in the area maybe the state. But rumor of the fees is absurd. Although you do get to see Sergio and others hanging out from time to time so there is that. Austin has a TON of great courses and  we have some great competition here too. Various different tours to play in from STPGA/NTPGA, Legends tour, TJGT (AJGA equivalent). But as Lee has said find a great school if its public or private before you make a jump, there are of course good bad and ugly on all those fronts.  As they say everything is bigger in Texas. 

Joking aside you have to find the right location that fits you and your family lifestyle the best.  

California has a reliable power grid. 

• Haha 2

On 3/5/2022 at 5:18 PM, Tugu said:

Jensen Beach Golf Club is a dump.

In Florida I wouldn't go south of Orlando.  MB19 mentions Palm Beach and while golf there is good, junior golf is hit and miss.  I would skip Palm Beach.  I know Orlando Golf Academy has a great stable of Junior Golfers.  Jacksonville is producing the best junior golfers in the state right now, IMO.

Edited by heavy_hitter
  • Like 3

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

3 hours ago, heavy_hitter said:

Jensen Beach Golf Club is a dump.

In Florida I wouldn't go south of Orlando.  MB19 mentions Palm Beach and while golf there is good, junior golf is hit and miss.  I would skip Palm Beach.  I know Orlando Golf Academy has a great stable of Junior Golfers.  Jacksonville is producing the best junior golfers in the state right now, IMO.

For quality of life alone, perhaps, skip Palm Beach.  Too much traffic and too expensive to justify living there over other nice of FL areas IMO.

I really do think I am getting traffic-averse in my dotage, though.  Having lived in Orlando in my 20s and 30s, my most vivid memories are getting tore down at Church Street Station, working for the Mouse for a few years, and that nasty traffic during rush hour(s).  In a recent visit to Orlando, I went during the middle of the day on a Thursday and the traffic looked like a Magic game just let out (at 2:30).  Jax traffic can bet terrible on the interstate, but not like Orlando IMO... and certainly not like Ft. Lauderdale/Miami.  I hate Tampa-Sarasota traffic, too.  I'm a traffic-hater, no doubt.

Good point about Jax--just about every junior age group has a super-elite in it.  Seems like Palm Beach has more depth pre-teen.  Orlando Golf Academy looks like a great environment for sure.

14 minutes ago, MB19 said:

For quality of life alone, perhaps, skip Palm Beach.  Too much traffic and too expensive to justify living there over other nice of FL areas IMO.

I really do think I am getting traffic-averse in my dotage, though.  Having lived in Orlando in my 20s and 30s, my most vivid memories are getting tore down at Church Street Station, working for the Mouse for a few years, and that nasty traffic during rush hour(s).  In a recent visit to Orlando, I went during the middle of the day on a Thursday and the traffic looked like a Magic game just let out (at 2:30).  Jax traffic can bet terrible on the interstate, but not like Orlando IMO... and certainly not like Ft. Lauderdale/Miami.  I hate Tampa-Sarasota traffic, too.  I'm a traffic-hater, no doubt.

Good point about Jax--just about every junior age group has a super-elite in it.  Seems like Palm Beach has more depth pre-teen.  Orlando Golf Academy looks like a great environment for sure.

Traffic is busy in every city in Florida any more for a reason.

• Like 1

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Quick update

I got a heads up from one of my son's friends for a cant refuse offer from PGA National (especially if they have a golfing sibling). So we are attempting to navigate the crazy rental mkt in this locale.

Option 2 is a country club in LA, who I am waiting to hear from.

Re Texas or Alabama, I just don't know enough about the places. Been to Texas for a super bowl is about all the first hand experience I have of Texas.