2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

What one to buy?

I am currently looking into buying my first launch monitor for personal and possibly business use. I’m looking at the mevo+, gc3, bushnell launch pro, and the full swing kit.

I will be using it mostly on a outdoor driving range (mats) with the idea of adding a outdoor home hitting net. Ideally it I’ll be used to better my game (currently a +1). 

I have also approached other at my club (it’s simi-private with a public range) about renting a launch monitor and the idea has been received well figuring it would help pay for the monitor. 

I have done a lot a research but can’t decide what one is more beneficial than the other. Any thought would be appreciated.  

I would go with a GC3, especially if you plan to potentially rent it out. Full swing kit is unproven, the mevo+ is very sensitive to setup and alignment and needs a 2nd device to get the data. The GC3 gives you the data right there on the screen, has the option to capture it in software (PC or ipad), and can be plopped down and used anywhere with zero fuss or thinking. If you plan to hit into a net outside, you will also use less space. Buy once, cry once. There is a reason it has the longest thread on here despite being priced higher than the other options.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

I would go with a GC3, especially if you plan to potentially rent it out. Full swing kit is unproven, the mevo+ is very sensitive to setup and alignment and needs a 2nd device to get the data. The GC3 gives you the data right there on the screen, has the option to capture it in software (PC or ipad), and can be plopped down and used anywhere with zero fuss or thinking. If you plan to hit into a net outside, you will also use less space. Buy once, cry once. There is a reason it has the longest thread on here despite being priced higher than the other options.

100% agree with this.  I have a M+, while it is good and I know it's limitation I cannot even imagine renting it out.  Alignment setup issues, software.  Would be a total disaster.

19 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

I am a happy M+ owner but would still agree with this if you are remotely considering renting it out. Connection, setup, apps although far from rocket science would be easier with GC3 or FSK.  FSK is easier to set up vs M+ and has on board display so for outdoor use only I would personally consider it if it can get to a point with some good 3rd party reviews. Haven’t seen them yet. GC3 is the easiest to set up, proven accuracy and can be used indoors with little worry and less space required - and is 7.5k because of it. 😐

7 hours ago, Dan13 said:

I am a happy M+ owner but would still agree with this if you are remotely considering renting it out. Connection, setup, apps although far from rocket science would be easier with GC3 or FSK.  FSK is easier to set up vs M+ and has on board display so for outdoor use only I would personally consider it if it can get to a point with some good 3rd party reviews. Haven’t seen them yet. GC3 is the easiest to set up, proven accuracy and can be used indoors with little worry and less space required - and is 7.5k because of it. 😐

Yep, you get what you pay for.  Part of that cost is known reliability and accuracy in a commercial setting.

45 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

Yep, you get what you pay for.  Part of that cost is known reliability and accuracy in a commercial setting.

True but the question for the OP is if the convenience of the set up is worth that much extra $$. Outdoors with unlimited flight I think the accuracy level of the M+ is very close to GC3 up and down the bag.  If he is potentially using it in limited flight situations outdoors (potential interference issues not a concern) is the increased accuracy with woods worth nearly $4k? Only he can answer that. 

1 hour ago, Dan13 said:

True but the question for the OP is if the convenience of the set up is worth that much extra $$. Outdoors with unlimited flight I think the accuracy level of the M+ is very close to GC3 up and down the bag.  If he is potentially using it in limited flight situations outdoors (potential interference issues not a concern) is the increased accuracy with woods worth nearly $4k? Only he can answer that. 

There is still a caveat to this, you still need to set it up correctly, because it very sensitive. There are plenty of folks in the Mevo+ thread that have had some pretty wonky data even, outdoors, having to fiddle with angle and tilt. You won't make any money renting it out if you need to stay there and fiddle with it after each use. If it's a grass range and needs to be moved around, forget about it. There is a big gap between consumer level LMs and commercial level LMs for a reason.

6 hours ago, Krt22 said:

There is still a caveat to this, you still need to set it up correctly, because it very sensitive. There are plenty of folks in the Mevo+ thread that have had some pretty wonky data even, outdoors, having to fiddle with angle and tilt. You won't make any money renting it out if you need to stay there and fiddle with it after each use. If it's a grass range and needs to be moved around, forget about it. There is a big gap between consumer level LMs and commercial level LMs for a reason.

It is sensitive to set up no doubt but knowing what it requires it can be easily done. If you take a couple of minutes and ensure a good setup it is very good outside. It certainly has been for me. Would I recommend renting out a M+ to folks who have never used one before? No. Is GC3 easier for a first timer? Yes. I’ve said this many times but setup is where I am more then willing to take a couple extra minutes every time to save $4-5k. If I had a proper indoor sim - GC3 is better in that environment to the point where that extra money starts to be justified IMO. 

5 hours ago, Dan13 said:

It is sensitive to set up no doubt but knowing what it requires it can be easily done. If you take a couple of minutes and ensure a good setup it is very good outside. It certainly has been for me. Would I recommend renting out a M+ to folks who have never used one before? No. Is GC3 easier for a first timer? Yes. I’ve said this many times but setup is where I am more then willing to take a couple extra minutes every time to save $4-5k. If I had a proper indoor sim - GC3 is better in that environment to the point where that extra money starts to be justified IMO. 

Again, I am speaking mainly in terms of this being used in a commercial setting. I can understand why a personal user is willing to take a few extra minutes each time. If you are renting it out in 30 to 60 minute blocks and essentially have to baby sit it such that you can set it up for each new customer, complete losing venture. Even if a range attendant took on that task, that is still a losing venture IMHO because renting out a $2000 device isn't going to bring big revenue either way. Rental LMs only really make sense in a dedicated bay off a mat or something like a quad or gc3 that anyone can plop down and get working immediately. (indoor or out) 

Edit: Part of my opinion comes from considering turning my sim bay into micro-niche business. Less for revenue, more as a tax write off lol

Edited by Krt22
  • Like 2

Very happy with my GC3/BLP, and as others have said I think the screen is a huge pro, whether using it yourself or lending/renting to others.

If you do go that route and are willing to stomach the full price of the GC3, consider getting a BLP and then paying full price for the unlock. Many have said that the unlock price is untaxed in many areas, so you can save a good bit of money if that's the case for you.

• Like 1

Thank you all who replied and left there feedback. After doing research for the past few weeks and listening to all on here I’m torn between the GC3/BLP the FSK. I’m aware the GC3/BLP gives me everything I want now but there is something to me intriguing about the FSK. Again thanks for the comments