Launch Monitor Recommendation

I’m sure this topic has been beaten to death, and probably asked time and time again, but for anyone with some knowledge or experience, I would really appreciate some feedback.

I know I will get trolled for this here on WRX (deservedly so), but I recently passed through Stage 1 of the PLDA World Championship qualifying, and am competing in Stage 2 in late August. I have never had access to a decent launch monitor due to where I live, so I’ve decided I need to buy one if I want to prepare properly.

The absolute maximum I’m willing to spend is about $4000, but I would much prefer to spend about half of that. The biggest data points I’m looking to accurately track are (in order of most important to least important:

• Ball speed. Needs to be both accurate and able to track ball speeds over 200mph.
  • Spin.
  • Club speed.
  • Launch Angle.

I currently have a PRGR that is able to track club speed relatively accurately, but is lacking in the other three areas.

I’ve narrowed it down to the following options, but am open to other suggestions as well:

1. Mevo+ - although I’m skeptical about its ability to track spin and measure high ball speeds.
  2. Full Swing Launch Monitor
  3. Bushnell Launch Pro

Would really appreciate any advice or feedback.

33 minutes ago, thorsness said:

I’m sure this topic has been beaten to death, and probably asked time and time again, but for anyone with some knowledge or experience, I would really appreciate some feedback.

I know I will get trolled for this here on WRX (deservedly so), but I recently passed through Stage 1 of the PLDA World Championship qualifying, and am competing in Stage 2 in late August. I have never had access to a decent launch monitor due to where I live, so I’ve decided I need to buy one if I want to prepare properly.

The absolute maximum I’m willing to spend is about $4000, but I would much prefer to spend about half of that. The biggest data points I’m looking to accurately track are (in order of most important to least important:

• Ball speed. Needs to be both accurate and able to track ball speeds over 200mph.
  • Spin.
  • Club speed.
  • Launch Angle.

I currently have a PRGR that is able to track club speed relatively accurately, but is lacking in the other three areas.

I’ve narrowed it down to the following options, but am open to other suggestions as well:

1. Mevo+ - although I’m skeptical about its ability to track spin and measure high ball speeds.
  3. Bushnell Launch Pro

Of the ones you mentioned, the BLP is probably the most consistent but you'll have to spend some extra money to get access to spin metrics and club data, which puts you close to your budget max.

Indoor? Outdoor?

Have you considered used units? An Xi launch monitor would run you around the same as a Mevo+ with Pro package and will track full flight instead of the first 100y (or whatever the M+ cutoff is, can't recall).

Alternatively, used GC2 with the PRGR or a cheap swing speed reader (not even a hundred bucks) just to get CHS.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Bubbtubbs said:

Of the ones you mentioned, the BLP is probably the most consistent but you'll have to spend some extra money to get access to spin metrics and club data, which puts you close to your budget max.

Indoor? Outdoor?

Have you considered used units? An Xi launch monitor would run you around the same as a Mevo+ with Pro package and will track full flight instead of the first 100y (or whatever the M+ cutoff is, can't recall).

Alternatively, used GC2 with the PRGR or a cheap swing speed reader (not even a hundred bucks) just to get CHS.

Sorry, I should have specified. I will be using it almost exclusively outdoors. Haven't looked into the Xi, but I will definitely add it to the list. 

Thanks for the response, exactly the type of info I was looking for!

3 hours ago, thorsness said:

• Spin.
  • Club speed.
  • Launch Angle.

3. Bushnell Launch Pro

If you only need total spin and not spin axis / “side” spin then BLP basic has all 4 of the metrics you need and would be the best bet for accuracy. 

M+ a very close second outdoor.  It may be BLPs equal outdoors with getting accurate data. It’s all in the environment and set up. 

FSK still third IMO based on the reviews I’ve seen to date. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dan13 said:

If you only need total spin and not spin axis / “side” spin then BLP basic has all 4 of the metrics you need and would be the best bet for accuracy. 

M+ a very close second outdoor.  It may be BLPs equal outdoors with getting accurate data. It’s all in the environment and set up. 

FSK still third IMO based on the reviews I’ve seen to date. 

Thanks!

Sorry, what is meant by FSK?

5 hours ago, thorsness said:

So the Full Swing isn’t great value for its price point is what I’m gathering?

Not currently. It has the potential to be at least as accurate if not more so compared to the M+ but every review I’ve seen to date where it is benchmarked (typ against a Quad) it struggles with getting the spin and carry numbers within a good range for a mid level device. 

For outside use I think M+ should be fine. There are some long drive videos of folks reviewing the M+ inside. No issue with ball speed, club speed and launch angle. Issue is always spin measurements with limited flight. Outside that issue should go away. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, thorsness said:

I can't speak for the rest of WRX but I'd never troll someone who can actually put his driving where his mouth is, so to speak. Way to go and good luck in August.

But sorry, I haven't a clue about launch monitors...

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, thorsness said:

Thanks for the info on this everyone, it is greatly appreciated!

I think I've narrowed it down to the Mevo+ and the Xi. From what I understand, the Mevo+ replaced the Xi. Based on that, I assume their performance is fairly similar. Can anyone speak to a direct comparison between the two?

Big one is Xi measures full flight and M+ Apprx 80 yards then calculated the rest. M+ has better sim options and fusion tracking (camera + radar tracking). For you Xi may serve you better tracking full flight. Good luck. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, thorsness said:

Thanks for the info on this everyone, it is greatly appreciated!

I think I've narrowed it down to the Mevo+ and the Xi. From what I understand, the Mevo+ replaced the Xi. Based on that, I assume their performance is fairly similar. Can anyone speak to a direct comparison between the two?

1 hour ago, Dan13 said:

Big one is Xi measures full flight and M+ Apprx 80 yards then calculated the rest. M+ has better sim options and fusion tracking (camera + radar tracking). For you Xi may serve you better tracking full flight. Good luck. 

Dan13 pretty much got all the main points.

If I recall correctly, the Xi also has auto leveling and better battery life than Mevo Plus.

They both use the same driving range software suite now so that's a tie. And no putting/chipping with the Xi if it hasn't been previously mentioned, though that may not matter to you.

3 minutes ago, Bubbtubbs said:

Dan13 pretty much got all the main points.

If I recall correctly, the Xi also has auto leveling and better battery life than Mevo Plus.

They both use the same driving range software suite now so that's a tie. And no putting/chipping with the Xi if it hasn't been previously mentioned, though that may not matter to you.

Thanks! Does the Xi have indoor play options like the Mevo+?

17 minutes ago, thorsness said:

Thanks! Does the Xi have indoor play options like the Mevo+?

Just E6 1.6 last I checked. Not sure if it ever was cleared for E6 Connect after that upgrade was released.

You can check with GS Pro as well, since they seem to be compatible with almost everything that doesn't actively block the interface.

18 hours ago, thorsness said:

• Spin.
  • Club speed.
  • Launch Angle.

3. Bushnell Launch Pro

I have a used Flightscope X2 that I'm trying to sell. I would make you a deal on. It would be cheaper than either of the bottom two options and better than Mevo+. If you have enough room it works well indoors. No yearly fees either

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

58 minutes ago, sethdavidsdad said:

I have a used Flightscope X2 that I'm trying to sell. I would make you a deal on. It would be cheaper than either of the bottom two options and better than Mevo+. If you have enough room it works well indoors. No yearly fees either

Can you explain how this unit is better than the mevo + ? 

Just now, T2WIN said:

Can you explain how this unit is better than the mevo + ? 

Provides all of the data, you would have to upgrade to the pro package to get the information the X2 provides. 

Vokeys SM9 56,60

Just now, sethdavidsdad said:

Provides all of the data, you would have to upgrade to the pro package to get the information the X2 provides. 

Right I was going to ask if you meant the mevo + without the pro package. I believe you can get the mevo plus for 2g and the pro package is another 1g. So you're saying the X2 has everything the mevo plus with pro package has? Does it have anything that the Mevo plus with pro package doesn't have? Also, compared to the mevo + with pro package how accurate indoors and out is it for all aspects? 

1 minute ago, T2WIN said:

Right I was going to ask if you meant the mevo + without the pro package. I believe you can get the mevo plus for 2g and the pro package is another 1g. So you're saying the X2 has everything the mevo plus with pro package has? Does it have anything that the Mevo plus with pro package doesn't have? Also, compared to the mevo + with pro package how accurate indoors and out is it for all aspects? 

I don't really know. I would think the Mevo+ with pro package maybe just as good. Haven't ever used the Mevo+ really don't know which would be better. My issues have been with limited flight space indoors. My setup doesn't have the ball flight needed to accurately work for longer clubs. The X2 is a larger unit the Mevo is defiantly better for portability. Would have to defer to someone that has tested both to see if the radar is just as good with Mevo+ as the X2. I have tested my X2 outdoors up against Trackman and the results were pretty similar. I always called my X2 the poor mans Trackman because it doesn't have yearly fees. 

• Like 1

Vokeys SM9 56,60

I'm just going to throw this thought out there for discussion because after using my Mevo+ for a bunch of outdoor sessions I'm really wondering...

I'm wondering if the Mevo+ really isn't tracking the entire ball flight.  I base this on the fact that when used outdoors, the Mevo+ app (FS Golf) doesn't spit out the final numbers until the ball lands.  When you hit indoors, it spits out the numbers almost immediately.  If the Mevo+ was only tracking the ball for around 80 yards, why wouldn't it spit out the numbers more quickly?  Notice that it spits out the final numbers when the ball lands; whether that is 150 yards or 250 yards.  Why would the timing of the data output be variable?  Makes you think...

If you consider how the Mevo+ is positioned and priced in the FS model line-up, it makes sense that FS would want to "protect" their higher line models by "marketing" that the Mevo+ isn't tracking full ball flight.  Now I would accept that the Mevo+ may not be able to provide the level of accuracy for the full flight of the ball as compared to the larger more expensive units, but the idea that it "cannot" see the ball beyond 80 yards seems a bit far-fetched.  I find it interesting that everyone in the golfing community has just kind of "accepted" this is fact and no one else seems to be questioning it like I am.

Edited by Noodler
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Noodler said:

I'm just going to throw this thought out there for discussion because after using my Mevo+ for a bunch of outdoor sessions I'm really wondering...

I'm wondering if the Mevo+ really isn't tracking the entire ball flight.  I base this on the fact that when used outdoors, the Mevo+ app (FS Golf) doesn't spit out the final numbers until the ball lands.  When you hit indoors, it spits out the numbers almost immediately.  If the Mevo+ was only tracking the ball for around 80 yards, why wouldn't it spit out the numbers more quickly?  Notice that it spits out the final numbers when the ball lands; whether that is 150 yards or 250 yards.  Why would the timing of the data output be variable?  Makes you think...

If you consider how the Mevo+ is positioned and priced in the FS model line-up, it makes sense that FS would want to "protect" their higher line models by "marketing" that the Mevo+ isn't tracking full ball flight.  Now I would accept that the Mevo+ may not be able to provide the level of accuracy for the full flight of the ball as compared to the larger more expensive units, but the idea that it "cannot" see the ball beyond 80 yards seems a bit far-fetched.  I find it interesting that everyone in the golfing community has just kind of "accepted" this is fact and no one else seems to be questioning it like I am.

It caps out at somewhere around 100m and calculates the rest from the ball flight algorithms. Even in outdoor mode, it doesn't track shots from beginning to landing, unless they stop before its radar window does.

You're correct the radar doesn't "stop" and it wouldn't be the first time Flightscope has used software to lock features. Besides the Pro package parameters in Mevo+ itself, I've read about Xi+ conversions to Xi Tour permissions, though that may just be rumours as I haven't investigated it further.

The additional features and parameters of X3 are far bigger reasons to buy the flagship product over Mevo+ if you're in that market, IMO.

Edited by Bubbtubbs
  • Like 1