First Fitting Tomorrow | Hit Old Clubs First?

For my son's 13th birthday we bought him his first ever official full bag fitting at Club Champion tomorrow morning.  I generally know what to expect when we go, but I did wonder about hitting his current clubs first.  I know that adults typically swing their current clubs to get a baseline, but he's grown so these new clubs will be longer than his current clubs.  It would seem, then, that hitting current clubs to garner a baseline number might be a fool's errand since the lengths will be off.

Am I thinking correctly here?  Just don't want to waste any time (and more importantly his energy) if it's not going to be of any benefit.  All that said, I'm sure his fitter will have a solid answer for this, just wanted to get a head start in my own mind.

Dr: Mizuno JPX-900 (9.5°)
FW: 3W (15°) Mizuno JPX 900
Hy: 3H (19°), 4H (22°) Mizuno JPX 900
5-6i: Mizuno MP-H5
7-PW: Mizuno MP-5
W: Mizuno S18 50°, 54°, 58° (Gunmetal)
P: 2017 Odyssey O-Works #9 White w/ Superstroke 3.0

So i took my son (13) a few months ago for a irons fitting.  He was totally exhausted about 2/3 of the way through.  I would bring snacks and Gatorade and have him take as many breaks as possible.  As for his old clubs, just talk to the fitter.

• Like 1

Callaway Rouge LS

CobraLTDx 3 wood

Ping 425 4 hybrid

Ping iCrossover 18*

Mizuno 923 Forged 5-pw

SM9 50/56/60

Ping Kushin4

2 hours ago, isgerrior said:

So i took my son (13) a few months ago for a irons fitting.  He was totally exhausted about 2/3 of the way through.  I would bring snacks and Gatorade and have him take as many breaks as possible.  As for his old clubs, just talk to the fitter.

Every fitting we went to had snacks and waters available. 

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

My 11 YO did an iron fitting at Club Champion a month ago.  He has done fittings elsewhere and always use current clubs as a baseline.   I will pay it forward with one tip that @darter79 and @Golfingdawg19 told me - Club Champion is all about the shaft....and specifically it seems, THEIR shafts.  No surprise the shaft that they ended up putting him in was an exclusive shaft that only we could get from Club Champion.  I mentioned at the beginning that I would prefer to keep him in readily available shafts, but wish I would of pushed harder.   The experience was great overall and the fitter paid close attention to detail, but honestly felt a little pushy salemanship on THAT shaft and to buy/order from them.   My best fitting experiences have always been where I am paying for the fitting experience and the information that comes from it...WITHOUT a hard pitch to order the clubs.    We ended up getting his clubs from a really good club builder who made a few good alternative shaft recommendations based on the profile of the CC exclusive shaft.    More importantly, we got the clubs in a week, rather than Months backorder from Titleist.  

• Like 3

That’s good to know.  We are actually having him fit primarily for shafts.  I was able to get a steal on some 2021 Titleist irons so we’re not buying new ones, but he needs shaft recommendations (they came with Project X 6.5 LZ). So, your tip is an important one for us!

Dr: Mizuno JPX-900 (9.5°)
FW: 3W (15°) Mizuno JPX 900
Hy: 3H (19°), 4H (22°) Mizuno JPX 900
5-6i: Mizuno MP-H5
7-PW: Mizuno MP-5
W: Mizuno S18 50°, 54°, 58° (Gunmetal)
P: 2017 Odyssey O-Works #9 White w/ Superstroke 3.0

I am not a big Club Champion fan.  Took son once for a fitting and that was it.  Talked to some top grown men players, former college players, and got names of top fitters within about 250 miles.  Took son to one of those who does this for his livelihood and he was fantastic.  Went through a lot of clubheads and shafts.  He interacts very well with the player.  Ended up with a fantastic fit in his irons, driver and fairways.  Now, my son pretty much can fit himself based on Trackman numbers at our club's indoor Trackman facility. He also gets with his instructor who knows his swing to concur with any club changes and this REALLY helps get a proper fit. Club also has a lot of fitting carts to try a lot of different stuff in the Trackman room.  

Edited by DevilDog

• 1 month later...
On 5/26/2022 at 3:15 PM, hangontight said:

My 11 YO did an iron fitting at Club Champion a month ago.  He has done fittings elsewhere and always use current clubs as a baseline.   I will pay it forward with one tip that @darter79 and @Golfingdawg19 told me - Club Champion is all about the shaft....and specifically it seems, THEIR shafts.  No surprise the shaft that they ended up putting him in was an exclusive shaft that only we could get from Club Champion.  I mentioned at the beginning that I would prefer to keep him in readily available shafts, but wish I would of pushed harder.   The experience was great overall and the fitter paid close attention to detail, but honestly felt a little pushy salemanship on THAT shaft and to buy/order from them.   My best fitting experiences have always been where I am paying for the fitting experience and the information that comes from it...WITHOUT a hard pitch to order the clubs.    We ended up getting his clubs from a really good club builder who made a few good alternative shaft recommendations based on the profile of the CC exclusive shaft.    More importantly, we got the clubs in a week, rather than Months backorder from Titleist.  

Been to CC myself numerous times to know - didn’t bother this time with the kid.  Took her to PGATASS, got a nice older gentleman who gave us the clubs and walked way and let us figure it out ourselves.  Obviously it only  works if you kind of know what you are looking for.  If you don’t, CC will be sure to “educate” you  by showing you the gains with their exclusive exotic clubs.

my fitting session a few years back got me into t300s I hated, with Fuji pro vista shafts i hated.  Self fitted with an order at pxg with similar specs and hit those clubs better and much prefer the look sound and feel and cheaper at that.  Still have this crazy Veylix driver shaft they fitted me into that sometimes works ok and sometimes doesn’t.  It’s a looker but not as consistent as a Tensei CK Blue or Velocore Blue shafts I picked up and at fraction of the prices once again.

Edited by libtech75

• 4 weeks later...