Tennis Elbow

I used a brace like this, helped a little. Took close to a year for it to completely go away, would have been sooner had I stopped golfing for a while.

https://www.amazon.com/Zofore-Tennis-Elbow-Effective-Relief/dp/B01LM1G12Q

Ping G400 Max 10.5, Ventus Blue 6S

TM Stealth 3 wood, Tour AD DI 7X

Callaway UW 21, Project X HZRDUS RDX Black

Mizuno CLK 25 Hybrid, Ventus Blue HB 10-X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tours 4-PW, AMT White X100

Ping Glide 3 56 Eye2

Cleveland RTX-4 60.03

Seemore PCB

I had tennis elbow a number of years ago.  All sorts of PT and massage.  What really helped was wearing a brace for a long time.  And I mean wearing it for everything except shower and sleep.  Also, since I'm North of the 49th, having a period of winter months where golf is nearly non-existent, really aided in the recovery.  The key is to be able to do things without putting stress on the tendon where it joins the bone.  The strap does that if it is properly used.  Also get yourself a Theraband and use it to exercise.  Lots of people swear by it.  It was about 1.5 years to recover fully.

Tennis Elbow seems to be easier to get rid of than Golfer's Elbow.  I have struggled with GE for almost 2 years now.  I had resisted using a strap after the Cortisone shots because the elbow felt so good, but this time I am being very cautious and wearing the strap all the time.  I want to avoid nerve relocation surgery, if possible.  So far so good and with luck, I can get past this and not have to worry about it in 6-9 months or so.

Cortisone is great as it gets rid of the inflammation almost immediately, but it only lasts a few months and if you haven't done anything to change your habits/use, it will just come back.  With the inflammation gone, you can do exercises without the pain.  The key is to use those few months to recover and exercise so that area is stronger.

Golf related, I changed my swing from being a big divot taker to picking the ball.  Deep divots are incredibly hard on elbows.  I also cut back the number of ball hitting sessions that involve long irons and drivers.  If you are a little off plane with a driver and keep hitting them, your elbow will hurt big time.  Most of my practice now is short irons and the occasional driver just to take the stress off.  

• Like 1

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (Didn't make the cut)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (still the GOAT)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 56°, SM2 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

Good thoughts...all. Hear you on taking divots. I'm a picker too so it helps but I feel the tennis elbow when I hit irons, regardless of picking  it or not. Hitting driver and graphite-shafted clubs is easier on the elbow. I, too, have limited my practice sessions, making sure to space them out with 2-3 days of rest in between.

You're a 5 handicap and I'm trying to be an 11 for the second time ever, but, tennis elbow hinders my distance. That makes it even tougher. The pain and discomfort isn't bad.

Played two days straight, which wasn't the brightest thing to do but had the time since it's Memorial Day weekend. So, have had it for 7 months and looking for a solution. Exercise doesn't seem to be doing any good; in fact, it seems to aggravate the condition.

You mentioned the problem isn’t as bad with driver or other graphite clubs.  Besides rest, icing, brace, maybe you should invest in graphite shafts in your irons.  I also think your reduced distance could be you have unconsciously changed your swing because of the discomfort you are feeling.  

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

9 minutes ago, 19Putter said:

Good thoughts...all. Hear you on taking divots. I'm a picker too so it helps but I feel the tennis elbow when I hit irons, regardless of picking  it or not. Hitting driver and graphite-shafted clubs is easier on the elbow. I, too, have limited my practice sessions, making sure to space them out with 2-3 days of rest in between.

You're a 5 handicap and I'm trying to be an 11 for the second time ever, but, tennis elbow hinders my distance. That makes it even tougher. The pain and discomfort isn't bad.

Played two days straight, which wasn't the brightest thing to do but had the time since it's Memorial Day weekend. So, have had it for 7 months and looking for a solution. Exercise doesn't seem to be doing any good; in fact, it seems to aggravate the condition.

Rest to get rid of the inflammation (complete shutdown of the affected area).  If rest is not an option, I would explore a cortisone shot with your doctor.  The only way you can get it to get better is to get rid of the inflammation first.  The first step is ultrasound treatments on the area.  If that doesn't work (doesn't for me), then cortisone is the way to go.  Then you can work on exercises and strength.  Not the other way around, which is what you seem to be doing.  If you get a cortisone shot, getting it from someone who works on elbows/hands all the time is best.  No point in getting a shot if they put it into the wrong spot and miss the inflamed area.

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (Didn't make the cut)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (still the GOAT)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 56°, SM2 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

I had it chronically for a good couple of years and finally kicked it about 10 years ago.  First step was to replace the Project X 6.5 iron shafts with graphite, luckily at the time the Aldila RIP Tour 115S was an exact (or near exact) match in terms of installed weight and flex on the Wishon software.  The next thing was to work with my diet and take a good look at foods that could cause and reduce an inflammatory response.  I started working out shortly afterwards and that was a huge help.  The last step completed only 3 years ago was to quit drinking alcohol completely. 

Going through it right now too.  KT tape is helping. There are plenty of YouTube videos on how to apply.  Cooling sleeves add a bit of compression and seem to allow movement while reducing the discomfort.  Icing and anti-inflammatories are also helping.  Amazing how regular day activities  aggravate it, not to mention pull starting the lawn mower.  

2 hours ago, rollen said:

Pull starting the lawn mower.  

This is the thing I get to blame all my aches and pains on every 7-10 days!😎

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

On 5/30/2022 at 11:20 AM, Socrates said:

Rest to get rid of the inflammation (complete shutdown of the affected area).  If rest is not an option, I would explore a cortisone shot with your doctor.  The only way you can get it to get better is to get rid of the inflammation first.  The first step is ultrasound treatments on the area.  If that doesn't work (doesn't for me), then cortisone is the way to go.  Then you can work on exercises and strength.  Not the other way around, which is what you seem to be doing.  If you get a cortisone shot, getting it from someone who works on elbows/hands all the time is best.  No point in getting a shot if they put it into the wrong spot and miss the inflamed area.

I have tried the stretch and strengthen routine but other times just worked on the inflammation through pressure point massage. Thought I found the culprit in my triceps muscles as many times elbow issues are caused by other areas of the body. But, yesterday I hot a bunch of sand wedge pitch shots - not even full swings and aggravated the issue. Played today and although I ma getting distance back, I had discomfort.

On 5/30/2022 at 1:17 PM, iGolf67 said:

I had it so bad I couldn't pick up a full glass of water. I switched to graphite shafts on the recommendation of a doctor specializing in sports injuries and have been pain free since. 

I will eventually get graphite shafts installed in my irons but am trying to hold off until retirement. I may need to do it much sooner. Thanks for your take. 

• Like 1

On 5/30/2022 at 1:56 PM, rollen said:

Going through it right now too.  KT tape is helping. There are plenty of YouTube videos on how to apply.  Cooling sleeves add a bit of compression and seem to allow movement while reducing the discomfort.  Icing and anti-inflammatories are also helping.  Amazing how regular day activities  aggravate it, not to mention pull starting the lawn mower.  

I work remotely and just using a keyboard daily aggravates it.

On 5/30/2022 at 1:19 PM, Florida Gator said:

I had it chronically for a good couple of years and finally kicked it about 10 years ago.  First step was to replace the Project X 6.5 iron shafts with graphite, luckily at the time the Aldila RIP Tour 115S was an exact (or near exact) match in terms of installed weight and flex on the Wishon software.  The next thing was to work with my diet and take a good look at foods that could cause and reduce an inflammatory response.  I started working out shortly afterwards and that was a huge help.  The last step completed only 3 years ago was to quit drinking alcohol completely. 

What foods caused inflammation? Please list them. I am sure my diet hurts the elbow condition too. I am a moderate drinker but would like to try to avoid quitting drinking.

11 hours ago, 19Putter said:

What foods caused inflammation? Please list them. I am sure my diet hurts the elbow condition too. I am a moderate drinker but would like to try to avoid quitting drinking.

I would suggest doing a google search, I can tell you what my triggers are, but the only way that you will learn/discover what your triggers are is tracking or blood tests.  The best way to find out what sets you off is to for through an elimination diet and add foods back, when doing so, document reactions and look for common threads and symptoms.  

Another suggestion is to have a food sensitivity test done, as well as an inflammation panel.  Go to everlywell.com:

https://www.everlywell.com/products/vitamin-d-and-inflammation-test/

https://www.everlywell.com/products/food-sensitivity-comprehensive-test/

These are not cheap, but they were eye openers for me.  Processed sugars, corn, gluten, alcohol, processed anything are all common triggers of inflammation.  Foods that you have sensitivities to can also have an inflammatory response, some of my newly eliminated foods really p!$$3d me off too such as almonds and pistachios.  Other foods that showed up were more of a confirmation of a suspicion that there was something there.  One downside to bloodwork that my doctor pointed out was that if you are not eating foods that may set you off, they may not show up on the panel, so you want to take the blood tests pre-elimination diet to get the current accurate picture then go from there.

For the record:  I am not paid by everlywell, I used a couple of the tests to help point me in the right direction and start a dialog with my doctor.  I’m not a doctor, I have an MBA and I studied Aeronautical Science, take any medical advice from me with a grain of salt, I am only relaying what I did to learn.  

It’s aggravating, and there really isn’t a silver bullet for this, but as much as you like to drink it may come down to what you enjoy more.  It did for me, but it took a few years to get to the point that I was ready to make a serious change.  Please don’t take my last comment the wrong way either, I know firsthand what alcohol was doing to me even with a heavy workout routine at the time.  The dehydration and sugars when metabolized was not a good combo for me at all.

I hope this helps, be patient and if you are working towards the solution, you are doing something.  You’ve asked for help, that most definitely counts for something but you have to keep plugging away at it while being patient.

Dealing with it right now. I don't bother with strengthening. Stretching, massage heat, ice. All helping. My PT does IMS needling which is painful in the forearm due to the muscles there causing the TE but boy does it offer some release. Don't confuse it with acupuncture. I'm in Canada and according to my American PT, IMS can't be done by PT's in the USA. Could be a state by state thing. 

The most effective massage has been a lacrosse ball rammed in to the forearm against a wall and working in to the tricep too. The other is using a massage stick with one end pinned to my hip while sitting and rubbing my forearm all over with plenty of pressure. Most of my golf recently has been pain free but I need to be diligent on the post golf recovery. I use one of these but there are many versions out there. https://www.roguecanada.ca/the-stick

• 2 months later...

The following combo helped me: compression sleeve, anti-inflammatory meds (ibuprofen), stretching and particularly the yoga stretch linked below - which I found really painful to do, but my wife and kids could do easily.

https://tomrandallclimbing.wordpress.com/2012/11/23/golfers-elbow-a-possible-solution/

Whilst it helped, it hasn't gone completely yet. That said, it's improved markedly (over 9 months) whilst I've still played continuously.

Graphite shafts.  This really is the ticket.  I can go back to steel and within 10 swings feel the twinges start.  I have none for over a year and A half now with graphite and I was close to surgery.  

theraband- use it daily and before every round 

Edited by bladehunter

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

On 5/30/2022 at 8:01 AM, 19Putter said:

New to the forum. Have had tennis elbow for 7 months. Tried pressure point massage only, stretches and strengthening exercises only, and a combination of both. It's cost me anywhere between 7-15 yards on shots and hurts most on irons approaches.

Anyone have it before and resolve the issue? If so, how? 

Does it hurt on the outside of the elbows or the inside.  There is a difference between tennis elbow and golfers elbow.

1.Band-IT. the Cadillac of Elbow braces-use anytime that your elbow is tender 

2. Stretches -both Extensors and Flexors

every day

3. Strengthen 

Theraband bar. Start out easy with the red then progress to the green

Hang from a pull-up bar for up to 90 seconds -start at 15 seconds 

This is sometimes recommended for shoulder issues , but my rock climbing son in law suggests it for developing wrist and forearm strength

4. ice it -I use an ice cube over a sink or outside whenever it bothers me and always after hitting balls or playing 

5. Self massage it every day -I also use a small ( 1 “ in diameter)  foam ball 

6. ultrasound it-buy a ultrasound wand-

7. use graphite shafts 

8. In more serious cases some of the needling therapies have helped 

9. cortisone shots-will reduce inflammation , but might have deleterious effects if done too frequently . I know no responsible doctor who will give cortisone shots more than 3 times/ year in a specific area 

10. AVOID MATS LIKE a PLAGUE. If you want to exacerbate your golfers or tennis elbow issues and probably add in some shoulder and wrist problems continue to hit off of mats . The real problem with mats is that are invariably placed  on very hard surfaces . 
11. REST- no one wants to stop their activities due to “relatively “minor injuries . 

But unfortunately these minor injuries have a tendency to become worse over time without rest . 

Edited by golfarb1

maxresdefault.jpgWelcome to old age!  This is your first (and hopefully your last...) age-related injury.   Quick suggestion - it's possible that it's your keyboard and mouse and your arms should be higher and straighter....raise your desk (like standing desk) or sit and slouch on a laptop so that your arms are straighter rather than bending.

I had both at the same time for 8 months.   But didn't realize where the pain emanated for about 4 months.  Was unconsciously straining it by accident.   Typing on a keyboard on a desk; and mousing on a desk was the root cause I think.  Using a laptop on your lap while leaning backwards slightly (think - slouching in a chair with laptop on the lap) helped a lot.

I used a combination of the Theraband roller dildos to get rid of it - bought the red/yellow/green ones and did the exercises.  The stretching of the muscles is temporary help.  AND I used the Theragun-type of massage on the muscles of the inside/outside of my forearms.   That was temporary relief and NOT the root cause.   The root cause is the Medial Epicondyle (inside of elbow joint) for golfer's elbow.  I also had tennis elbow too.   Push the sides of the joint and see which one makes you scream more than the other?    I screamed twice.  🙂 

The pain can be managed - but STILL THERE IS PAIN.  For me - and I don't recommend this - I am a bit of a sadist and I would use:

1) KT Tape.   watch videos and diagrams to show how to apply it.  This saved me a lot of time, and allowed me to play OCCASIONALLY but not every day.   The checkpoint was - after the round....my elbow did not hurt any worse than it did before I played.    If you are playing and it hurts worse than when you started...STOP PLAYING.   I also managed pain with Advil or Aleve.  

2) the "theragun" type of massage helps relieve pain from the muscles.

3) but the culprit is the joint....and the KT tape helped the most.   again...watch videos to make sure you put it on correctly.

Other suggestions:  my orthopedics guy was team physician for several pro sports teams.  His recommendation is NOT to use cortisone unless you're in dire need.  He said that cortisone is long term "temporary relief".   His recommendation was rest - even if it takes more than a year.   If you take more than 3 doses of cortisone it apparently destroys the muscle and you can't keep taking cortisone.   

Finally, now that it's gone - I still do pre-golf stretching - the best stretch I do is try to touch my right shoulder with my right hand to  "point my elbow" forward and do a bunch of tiny -to - large circles.  

As for distance - I'd simply offer - you're using your arms too much and you're just going to keep lighting your elbow on fire.  So either stop and heal, or alter your swing.  Learn to swing your arms with your lower body...but that's another thread.   🙂 

Good luck.

10 minutes ago, ChipDriver said:

maxresdefault.jpgWelcome to old age!  This is your first (and hopefully your last...) age-related injury.   Quick suggestion - it's possible that it's your keyboard and mouse and your arms should be higher and straighter....raise your desk (like standing desk) or sit and slouch on a laptop so that your arms are straighter rather than bending.

I had both at the same time for 8 months.   But didn't realize where the pain emanated for about 4 months.  Was unconsciously straining it by accident.   Typing on a keyboard on a desk; and mousing on a desk was the root cause I think.  Using a laptop on your lap while leaning backwards slightly (think - slouching in a chair with laptop on the lap) helped a lot.

I used a combination of the Theraband roller dildos to get rid of it - bought the red/yellow/green ones and did the exercises.  The stretching of the muscles is temporary help.  AND I used the Theragun-type of massage on the muscles of the inside/outside of my forearms.   That was temporary relief and NOT the root cause.   The root cause is the Medial Epicondyle (inside of elbow joint) for golfer's elbow.  I also had tennis elbow too.   Push the sides of the joint and see which one makes you scream more than the other?    I screamed twice.  🙂 

The pain can be managed - but STILL THERE IS PAIN.  For me - and I don't recommend this - I am a bit of a sadist and I would use:

1) KT Tape.   watch videos and diagrams to show how to apply it.  This saved me a lot of time, and allowed me to play OCCASIONALLY but not every day.   The checkpoint was - after the round....my elbow did not hurt any worse than it did before I played.    If you are playing and it hurts worse than when you started...STOP PLAYING.   I also managed pain with Advil or Aleve.  

2) the "theragun" type of massage helps relieve pain from the muscles.

3) but the culprit is the joint....and the KT tape helped the most.   again...watch videos to make sure you put it on correctly.

Other suggestions:  my orthopedics guy was team physician for several pro sports teams.  His recommendation is NOT to use cortisone unless you're in dire need.  He said that cortisone is long term "temporary relief".   His recommendation was rest - even if it takes more than a year.   If you take more than 3 doses of cortisone it apparently destroys the muscle and you can't keep taking cortisone.   

Finally, now that it's gone - I still do pre-golf stretching - the best stretch I do is try to touch my right shoulder with my right hand to  "point my elbow" forward and do a bunch of tiny -to - large circles.  

As for distance - I'd simply offer - you're using your arms too much and you're just going to keep lighting your elbow on fire.  So either stop and heal, or alter your swing.  Learn to swing your arms with your lower body...but that's another thread.   🙂 

Good luck.

Be very careful in using the Theragun near the bursa sac on the bottom of the elbow, since it could cause a rupture of the bursa . 

I have been battling golfer and tennis elbow (both arms) for the better part of a year. Having tried almost everything listed above the two things that appear to have helped the most is (1) moving to graphite shafts throughout the set (previously only driver/fairway/hybrid had graphite) and (2) changing my grip (went from interlock to overlap).  

Therabands/bars, stretching, massage, ultrasound, compression sleeves, ice all helped some but the two above seemed most significant and lasting. It seems gone completely from one arm and mostly so in the other.  Both are no longer tender when massaging.  Played 90 holes in 5 days on a trip two weeks ago and felt little discomfort. 

Good luck to all dealing with this as is very frustrating to have an injury like this. 

On 5/30/2022 at 8:01 AM, 19Putter said:

New to the forum. Have had tennis elbow for 7 months. Tried pressure point massage only, stretches and strengthening exercises only, and a combination of both. It's cost me anywhere between 7-15 yards on shots and hurts most on irons approaches.

Anyone have it before and resolve the issue? If so, how? 

If you search for this you may find an older post in which I made a more complete answer.  

The cliff notes version is that if you have an active/current injury, you probably need to rest it and lay off of golf for a while.  I'd definitely confirm this with a doctor or two.  I however was young and stupid enough to just try to fix it and keep going.  My second best advice is to get a theraband flexbar.  I got the blue level one, and I still use it often.  In my experience, it's more preventative than therapeutic.  Really I think it just kept things from getting worse, and only rest actually made me get better.  In addition to the theraband, I also changed mats.  I hit indoor A LOT, so I went from a rainorshinegolf swingturf, to a fiberbuilt mat.  The fiberbuilt mat was much easier on my elbow, but I also found that I was able to fat the ball or come across it and kind of game my simulator numbers.  More specifically, if I was hitting behind the ball, and often also on an out to in path, instead of correcting the path and low point, I could just swing faster, and since there was less resistance from the mat, the numbers would come back up.  The fiberbuilt did not work for me in terms of practice or improvement, but it did give my elbow time to get better.  I've since gone back to the swingturf mat, but with regular theraband exercise, my elbow has been fine.  It's very slightly sore from time to time, but it has never risen to the level of an injury and certainly not one that affects me score or ability to play/practice.

• Like 1

Someone posted this podcast link on a golfer’s elbow thread today.  I listened to it and found it very enlightening.  Much different from the usual advice. Supposedly the latest thinking on it.  

https://fitforgolf.blog/2022/02/28/dr-keith-baar-golfers-and-tennis-elbow-rehab/

• Like 1

M4 Driver
5, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

• 2 months later...

I will try that, in addition to some new exercises I reviewed on youtube the other day. They said that instead of using light weights, use heavy weights and do fewer reps. You do the turn to the side like this but just reps., you don't hold for a time. Then you do forearm curls very slowly, letting the weight roll down into your fingers, then curl upwards. I used a 15 pound weight for this. I am also using the Thermabar which I bought recently. These things are improving it for me.