2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Complaints about slow play...

42 minutes ago, Golferpaul said:

Wow!  Do you never worry about getting hit by a ball while looking for yours?   Or are you always the short hitter so the others are always ahead of you?

So now we've gone from a slow play discussion to a weird insult about me being a short hitter.  Common sense would tell you that if you're looking for a ball, to not look in the line of somebody's play, and to look as long as it's safe to do so while you're playing partners are hitting. My guess is at least 75% of the time, unless you're playing with somebody who is capable of a boomerang shot, or your drive is miles ahead of the group, you're probably fairly safe off in the weeds/trees ball hunting. In fact, when you're that offline, you probably run a bigger risk being hit by a group from another hole.  It's always a good idea to be aware of your surroundings.  I guess I didn't realize common sense needed to be spelled out on this one, but here we are.  Guess that also explains a lot about things you've said in this thread.

• Like 4

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

37 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

So now we've gone from a slow play discussion to a weird insult about me being a short hitter.  Common sense would tell you that if you're looking for a ball, to not look in the line of somebody's play, and to look as long as it's safe to do so while you're playing partners are hitting.

No insult intended.  Just trying to understand why you NEVER have to wait to look for your ball.

I agree, common sense would tell you that there are many situations where you cannot hit while others are looking and vice versa.

I will refrain from answering your insult.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Warrior42111 said:

I think this thread and others on slow play just go to show there's no real answer.

I'd say there is consensus a 5hr round no matter the situation is ridiculous. I'd also say there's probably consensus on a stacked muni 3 hours isn't happening either.

I think most of us who like to play quickly could live comfortably with a 4 hour round on a crowded course. Just a matter of players not playing like idiots. 

Walked a round today in just under 3 hours following a twosome in a cart. Exactly what's wrong with cart golf. One player sitting in the cart while the other hits instead of dropping the partner off and heading to their ball. A twosome in a cart should not be slower than a single walking, but I waited on the majority of my shots. The course was wide open in front of them, and instead of letting me play through, they appeared to be rushing most shots. 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

18 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Exactly what's wrong with cart golf. One player sitting in the cart while the other hits instead of dropping the partner off and heading to their ball.

I have playing partners that do this. It annoys the bajeezus out of me. Even worse, it will be a foursome with two carts. First cart pulls up to one ball and waits while guy gets out to hit, then the second cart will pull up behind the other cart and wait with them. 🤬 I have tried to mention it but they are too worried about being in the way. I try to drive when I can to avoid this. Also, when I ride, the driver seems to forget I even have a ball in play and only drive to their ball. I usually just end up getting out and walking to my ball. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

I think most of is who like to play quickly could live comfortably with a 4 hour round on a crowded course. Just a matter of players not playing like idiots. 

Walked a round today in just under 3 hours following a twosome in a cart. Exactly what's wrong with cart golf. One player sitting in the cart while the other hits instead of dropping the partner off and heading to their ball. A twosome in a cart should not be slower than a single walking, but I waited on the majority of my shots. The course was wide open in front of them, and instead of letting me play through, they appeared to be rushing most shots. 

The not letting you play through is so annoying to me as well.

As for the partner in the cart thing I've done both. With my usually partners we'll split the difference and walk. But I've also been in the situation where they or I are 20 30 yds back on a close line. I like my friends but my trust level is one el hosel away from being shattered, literally and metaphorically. 

23 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

I think most of us who like to play quickly could live comfortably with a 4 hour round on a crowded course. Just a matter of players not playing like idiots. 

I don't get why people think that by having a cart makes you exempt from taking any steps on a golf course.  There's rounds i've played with my normal foursome where one of the guys in the other cart might end up driving our cart up a bit.  It seems like any sort of common sense goes out the window when people are in carts. 

You're spot on that most guys like us find a 4 hour round perfectly okay, yet the rest of the world seems to think we want speed golf.  No, we just want you to move and stop pretending you're in a Benny Hill sketch every hole.  It's okay to be separated from your friends for a few minutes, I promise that you'll live.

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy